Search found 3 matches

Return

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 3

Former AFL star Paul Puopolo signs with Adelaide Footy League club Hope Valley for 2023
A three-time AFL premiership player has joined his old local SA footy outfit in another huge offseason move, saying he wants to give back to the club.

Daniel Renfrey
October 6, 2022 - 11:27AM
The Messenger

A three-time AFL premiership player has moved back to his junior club for the 2023 season, adding to a slew of local SA footy signings to begin the offseason.

Former Hawthorn and Norwood star Paul Puopolo – who just spent a year at Virginia in the Adelaide Plains Football League – signed with Adelaide Footy League division three club Hope Valley on Wednesday.

The 34-year-old forward spent multiple years at the Demons as a teenager and said he felt it was time to return after experiencing SA country footy.

“I’ve been a city man my whole life and I wanted to experience country footy,” Puopolo said.

“There were so many great people at Virginia who have become good friends and I enjoyed my time there but it involved a lot of driving to the club and back to Adelaide – missing out on some family time.

“I’ve got some mates at Hope Valley and there’s that sense that I want to give back to the club for helping me in my career so I thought it was probably the right move to make.”

Puopolo’s move marks a major signing for Hope Valley, the Demons winning promotion to division three by making the division four grand final last season.

The experienced and skilful small should complement imposing key forward Daniel Nobes perfectly and is also planning on making a significant impact off the field.

“I want to keep enjoying my footy and while the team is strong on the field I want to keep playing my part off the field as well, especially when it comes to being able to mentor guys.

“It’s a different aspect of footy and you get a lot of enjoyment out of helping people improve whether it’s as a player or as a person.”

The Demons will be pitted against some of the Adelaide Footy League’s best talent in 2023, a challenge Puopolo is looking forward to.

He believed his return to the club could help it to remain in the division and compete for finals.

“Moving up to a new division is never easy and I think if we can compete for and make finals that would be a fantastic achievement,” he said.

“We’re not expecting to go out and win it all straight away but I think we can continue to build from here and if I can help them to progress in any way I’m going to do it.”

Puopolo becomes the fourth ex-AFL player to sign with an Adelaide Footy League club in the last week, following Mitch Grigg to Athelstone, Luke Brown to Tea Tree Gully and Josh Glenn to Golden Grove.
by Jimmy_041
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 3

Well done to Unley on the weekend. Too good for us. We had some good moments in the 2nd quarter, but other than that Unley controlled the game. Finishing 4th in our first year in Div 3 since 1995 is something the boys should be proud of. We build from here..

It's a shame, I selfishly would have loved a Modbury v Hope Valley Prelim at somewhere like Campbelltown Oval. Would have been a HUGE crowd there. Oh well, wasn't to be!

Good luck to the remaining 3 teams. Tough to pick a premier. Modbury have been the best side all year so you'd think they will get it done this week. But if Unley bring the heat like they did on saturday, who knows. Flinders Park are humming along nicely and have hit their straps at the right time of the year. Any of the remaining 3 teams winning the flag wouldn't be a shock. All very good on their day. I'll go Modbury by 9pts this week in what should be a ripper of a game
by S Demon
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 3

New Sharks so far for 2024...

Daimon Head (Coach) Westies reserves 2023 coach

Matty Broadbent (former junior)
Chris Hall (200 game SANFL player)
Nic Couroupis (former junior from West)
Bailey Chamberlain (West)

Harris Jessen returning is rumoured as he didn't play this year
And Kane Sherlock. Heard they’ve changed their name to Henley Bloods and will wear Red and Black jumpers in Round 7
by S Demon
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |