Wireless Printing

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Wireless Printing

Postby Legs11 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:40 pm

I have a ZyXEL wireless router on my desktop computer and I can accesses the internet fine on my laptop wireless card but I cant add a printer to printer wirelessly?
Legs11
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Wireless Printing

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:18 pm

The printer needs to be set up on another system to use as a netwkr printer. If you're just connecting to the internet straight to the router then you won't be able to get access to the printer like that (unless you have something specificly designed for remote printing)
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Legs11 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:37 pm

The printer is connected to the desktop computer through usb?
Legs11
Mini-League

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:00 am

That should be fine, but what you need to do is connect to the other computer through a network. It sounds to me like you're connecting straight to the router for internet, but not onto the network your other computer is on. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I'm pretty certain you're not connected like you need to be. If this is the case, let me know and I'll try to help you set the thing up so you connect to the network, and then set up the printer. Networking is not my strong suit, but I'm sure I can point you in the right direction, and other people on here will help out I'm sure.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Legs11 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:58 am

[quote][/quote]That should be fine, but what you need to do is connect to the other computer through a network. It sounds to me like you're connecting straight to the router for internet

Yes i am connecting straight to the router for internet how do i connect through wireless network for printing :D
Legs11
Mini-League

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Ok, this is a bit beyond my expertise, really. I'm not sure whether you need a wireless network card on the PC the printer is connected to or not. The router may well be able to do this for you, but you definitely need to set up a network with the PC. You could possibly set it up to connect with a cable and hook it up as needed, but still this isn't what I know very well. My recomendation is shoot dissident or psyber a personal message and see if they can help more. Or maybe there's someone else here with more knowledge on this than me. You could always play with the network connections setup in control panel and see what you find. If you do manage to get somewhere with that, setting up the printer should be easier. The other thing you could do is try to get a pro to help you out. I could always recomend someone if you wanted to sort this out by paying someone to help you out. Some guys will even come to you and set it up for you, but this costs a bit more again.

One guy I knew in my former workplace was Kirt Hignett. Back then he was doing a fair bit of on site assistance. I'm not going to speak for him, but at the time he was offering an hour's on site service for $100. He can supply parts as well if needed. Any subsequent time spent won't be at the $100 an hour rate, because that included a call out fee. I have to reiterate that I can't speak for him, and it's been well over a year since I spoke to him but he was always good, especially at dealing with end users (which many computer professionals are pretty poor at!). If you call or email him he can let you know whether he still does this, and what he charges. He could even give you phone assistance for less, but he'll clear all that up. Anyway, to contact him just go to http://www.kirtco.com and the contact details are there. Or you could go into a computer shop and see if they can give you a pointer or two.

Hope at least this was some help! Feel free to reply or PM me for clarification on anything or further advise and I'll help however I can.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Legs11 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks for your help I will wait to see if anyone else can lend me some assitance on here :lol:
Legs11
Mini-League

Postby Kahuna » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Legs11 why not try a post in the Networking threads on Whirlpool?
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

or do a search on the site for "Wireless Printer" and there are heaps of threads that may help you.Look here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-se ... &r=4905138
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 504 times
Been liked: 187 times

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets