Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby morell » Fri May 04, 2018 11:47 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Ken finally picks a Ruckman and it's the returning Paddy Ryder....from an extended layoff due to an achilles injury.....for a trip to Perth to play on a very hard surface.....any Port fans concerned by this?

Many.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby whufc » Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Runners are required, what if there's a change in tactic, the bench can see stuff the players can't onfield, maybe a rotating tag or they spot something the opposition are doing and need to counteract it.

What about when there's 3 minutes to go and you're up by 9 points, the players get this info from the runners.

I don't think there's much concern with razzing up the opposition as a runner, they can listen and respond or ignore it.

Or the players could use there bwwaaaaaaaaains and figure that out for themselves!!!

In most cases the whole bench is standing up screaming at the players anyway.

Mate, quarters range from 23 minutes to 33 minutes, I umpire games with time on and you really have no gauge on how much extra time is being recorded.
Do you think you'd hear the bench from the other side of the ground in the dying minutes at a packed Adelaide Oval or Etihad?

I think it would add to the spectacle if players didn't know and exact time.

Player scream at each other that much it doesn't take much to get a message across, in fact it probably moves quicker than a runner having to run 150m out there.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 04, 2018 12:09 pm

whufc wrote:

Player scream at each other that much it doesn't take much to get a message across, in fact it probably moves quicker than a runner having to run 150m out there.

OK, would've thought a quiet message in the ear would be more beneficial than screaming out for the other team to hear what's happening next.

I'll leave it there now.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7929 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 04, 2018 12:14 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Ken finally picks a Ruckman and it's the returning Paddy Ryder....from an extended layoff due to an achilles injury.....for a trip to Perth to play on a very hard surface.....any Port fans concerned by this?

Against Nick Nat also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2327 times
Been liked: 3513 times

Postby whufc » Fri May 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

OK, would've thought a quiet message in the ear would be more beneficial than screaming out for the other team to hear what's happening next.

I'll leave it there now.

When a team is going to go defensive in the last couple of minutes of the game as per your example you don't think the other team know what's coming.

It's pretty obvious when the majority of players on the field are sprinting from one end of the pitch to the other.

I just think in the age of over analysis we over emphasis the importance of the 'runner' Many other sports in the world can cope without one just find.

People may say oh but a soccer field isn't as big. Having gone to an AFL GF and many European soccer matches the noise levels are uncomparable. 40k at a pumping EPL game is like 100k at the MCG.
Last edited by whufc on Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Runners aren't used for rotations these days, players know their times to rotate etc and if they are unsure the bench players will stand up on the side line to indicate its time.

For tactics, change of positions and personal messages it is critical.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2327 times
Been liked: 3513 times

Postby MW » Fri May 04, 2018 12:20 pm

I have no problems with runners. I agree with the AFLs penalty though mainly because could you imagine if Goldstein grabbed Cornes for what he said...then Goldstein probably gets a 12 week suspension whereas if he grabs a player for swearing at him, its play on.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2613 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby heater31 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:Runners aren't used for rotations these days, players know their times to rotate etc and if they are unsure the bench players will stand up on the side line to indicate its time.

For tactics, change of positions and personal messages it is critical.
Still used for rotation reminders and changes on the fly due to injuries.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 04, 2018 12:33 pm

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

I'll leave it there now.

When a team is going to go defensive in the last couple of minutes of the game as per your example you don't think the other team know what's coming.

It's pretty obvious when the majority of players on the field are sprinting from one end of the pitch to the other.

I just think in the age of over analysis we over emphasis the importance of the 'runner' Many other sports in the world can cope without one just find.

People may say oh but a soccer field isn't as big. Having gone to an AFL GF and many European soccer matches the noise levels are uncomparable. 40k at a pumping EPL game is like 100k at the MCG.

3 minutes to go, 9 points up? I wouldn't totally lock in defensive mode, I'd rather try and get 15 points up with 2 to go and lock the 4 points in, there is my point.

Not sure soccer is a great comparison, we're talking of a game where between 15 and 35 goals are scored compared to a game where 0 to 5 are scored, games don't really get turned on their head too often in the space of a couple of minutes in round ball.

The rules in soccer keep the players closer together on the field too, footballers can be spread out over 9000 square metres.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Clurey and Trengove the travelling emergencies
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby MW » Fri May 04, 2018 2:15 pm

No SPP or Rockliff this week. Sorry if it's been discussed, but what's going on there?
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 04, 2018 2:18 pm

MW wrote:No SPP or Rockliff this week. Sorry if it's been discussed, but what's going on there?

My take.........................but I'm pretty stupid.
Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:Who are Port likely to take as travelking emergencies? I'm guessing Clurey would be one, but hearing Johnston might be in doubt so not sure who they might take as cover

Clurey isn't named for SANFL duties tonight.

I'd say SPP wont play tonight but will tomorrow as a late inclusion, they will not name him earlier to avoid speculation and media build up.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Absolutely no way Ryder plays, Clurey will replace him
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby MW » Fri May 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:No SPP or Rockliff this week. Sorry if it's been discussed, but what's going on there?

My take.........................but I'm pretty stupid.
Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:Who are Port likely to take as travelking emergencies? I'm guessing Clurey would be one, but hearing Johnston might be in doubt so not sure who they might take as cover

Clurey isn't named for SANFL duties tonight.

I'd say SPP wont play tonight but will tomorrow as a late inclusion, they will not name him earlier to avoid speculation and media build up.

Good point.
MW
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 04, 2018 3:37 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Absolutely no way Ryder plays, Clurey will replace him

Why fly him over there then?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Brodlach wrote:

To keep from being unsupervised in Adelaide?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri May 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Brodlach wrote:

family
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri May 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Booney wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Port defeated WC away past 2 meets, WC won past 3 in Adelaide v Port. Something to be learnt from the Sydney Kardinnia Park form?

We haven't played at Optus yet... ;)

On Optus, lots of noise coming from players saying it's as hard as Etihad is to recover from.

Barstards, took the boosted $3.65 earlier in the week & then they pick Sarah Jesssica in the team. Should blow to $5 now.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Yangebup » Fri May 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Wayne Carey was ruthless on Wingard having a shot for goal after hurting his left hammy & said he coud've done further damage.

Hows Wingards reply on 7 news last night.....said he had the shot as he wasn't sure if he could put the ball on the ground, & didn't know

the rules in that regard.........Oh PLEEEAAZZE
Yangebup
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Yangebup wrote:Wayne Carey was ruthless on Wingard having a shot for goal after hurting his left hammy & said he coud've done further damage.

Hows Wingards reply on 7 news last night.....said he had the shot as he wasn't sure if he could put the ball on the ground, & didn't know

the rules in that regard.........Oh PLEEEAAZZE

Sweet geezus :shock:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3895 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL