PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby Slowleftarm » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:40 pm

The Bedge wrote:Eyre are riding a good high at the moment off their new facility, location and name change.. but I'm not sure they're ready for a move - or the cost associated with upgrading to turf.

Still, good to have ambitions and goals.

If they go turf I'd happily come out of retirement lol
Slowleftarm

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:16 am

I wonder what their motivation is....

Is it playing on turf, personally I've never seen it as that big of an attraction especially as others have mentioned so many games getting called off because of a Thursday Night rain.

Or is the motivation just to get out of the PDCA for one reason or another......would be surprised if that's the case as they have always seemed to have been pretty vocal in the way the comp runs etc.

I do think however if one of the current northern suburb clubs were to get turf it would be a massive attraction in the initial few years and would see many kids flock to a club especially those who aren't quite up to district standard.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:40 am

whufc wrote:I do think however if one of the current northern suburb clubs were to get turf it would be a massive attraction in the initial few years and would see many kids flock to a club especially those who aren't quite up to district standard.

Then why did Penfield fold? Why hasn’t anyone else taken over at Argana Park?

I’m not sold that it’s as attractive as people act.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:00 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:I do think however if one of the current northern suburb clubs were to get turf it would be a massive attraction in the initial few years and would see many kids flock to a club especially those who aren't quite up to district standard.

Yeah good point.....
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:37 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:One thing that Eyre have is valuable people.

Cant see Cam getting out and prepping a deck, and reckon Clarko has enough on his plate. :lol:

Watto will be up for it.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

PDCA

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:56 am

The Bedge wrote:

You have to cover costs by increasing fees significantly. Craigmore would’ve been best placed to take on Penfields Turf after they moved to Argana, but they knew it wasn’t worth it.

Threw a slab on #2 as soon as they could and it would be a sad day if they put one in on #1.

Not sure of other turf leagues but in ATCA you double your ball costs too with those 4 pieces.
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:00 pm

I don't know why it has to be hard wicket or turf.. I'd be happy playing in a comp that was mixed, would be a little more interesting if half your games were turf, and half hard wicket.

Soon find out which sides can adjust and adapt the best.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:18 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Penfield folded because they were a one man band for a bloody long time, they tried to get juniors but it never really took off.

Argana #1 was a shit deck, had nothing in it after the first half an hour and you'd be lucky the get a short ball to reach chest high.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby auto » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:33 pm

The Bedge wrote:I don't know why it has to be hard wicket or turf.. I'd be happy playing in a comp that was mixed, would be a little more interesting if half your games were turf, and half hard wicket.

Soon find out which sides can adjust and adapt the best.
Best of both worlds. Word.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby auto » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:57 pm

Roll call for who is playing pdca this year?

Im nearing 50 now so will only play as a phil in for grade 3 if im lucky.

Westies to win grade 1 over Dublin. Grade 2 wide open. Westies over Enfield grade 3. Units in LO1.

Bedge to find recruit of the year on the 224f bus into the city next Tuesday morning. Takes grade 3 by storm. Gets covid grand final week and Enfield, minus gun recruit, fall 3 runs short chasing 125 after being 3/113. Recruit wins the brownlow, departs for Abbatabad the next day and plays T20 for the Punjabi Panthers.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Salad » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:39 pm

whufc wrote:I wonder what their motivation is....

Is it playing on turf, personally I've never seen it as that big of an attraction especially as others have mentioned so many games getting called off because of a Thursday Night rain.

Or is the motivation just to get out of the PDCA for one reason or another......would be surprised if that's the case as they have always seemed to have been pretty vocal in the way the comp runs etc.

I do think however if one of the current northern suburb clubs were to get turf it would be a massive attraction in the initial few years and would see many kids flock to a club especially those who aren't quite up to district standard.

It’s an interesting argument, I’ll never play hard wicket again, I think it’s horrible. Pre-season training on hard wicket is enough to put me off
I’m definitely in my last year of grade cricket and likely to retire but if Eyre get a turf pitch up they can sign me up now!
Salad
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:48 am

Salad wrote:If Eyre get a turf pitch up they can sign me up now!

Mansueto reading this:
sweaty.PNG
sweaty.PNG (126.19 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:52 am

auto wrote:Roll call for who is playing pdca this year?

Im nearing 50 now so will only play as a phil in for grade 3 if im lucky.

Westies to win grade 1 over Dublin. Grade 2 wide open. Westies over Enfield grade 3. Units in LO1.

Bedge to find recruit of the year on the 224f bus into the city next Tuesday morning. Takes grade 3 by storm. Gets covid grand final week and Enfield, minus gun recruit, fall 3 runs short chasing 125 after being 3/113. Recruit wins the brownlow, departs for Abbatabad the next day and plays T20 for the Punjabi Panthers.

I'm 50/50 for this year still - and if the rumours are to be believed, Eastern Park and Parafield Gardens don't want to play Grade 1.. so given historically clubs seem to get to do what they want, chances are Enfield will be forced up. That'll change 50/50 to 20/80 for me. :lol:

I've been looking on the bus for recruits, but to no avail.. yet! .. but yes, odds are i'd lose them to some T20 side.

From a senior point of view, I cant recall a season where I've felt more unorganised than this.. PlayHQ registrations aren't helping the cause - currently 16 players registered. It's like pulling teeth.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:55 pm

At what point does the PDCA just pull the trigger and either go 6x teams and 5/10 split like lower grades last season, or just go to a pure one day comp?

Every year seems to feel more and more disjointed. The core Grade 1 clubs want their traditional format, the next group of Grade 2 clubs refuse to go up, then the group below that similar but miles off the pace of Grade 2.

Clubs are constantly shuffling between different grades, or going to LO1 like Central United or Pirates, and then you have clubs who are supposed to be in LO1 refusing to play there as well.

The minority clubs in the middle grades seem to hold control of the make up of the middle grades through fear of losing them, and the core Grade 1 clubs hold the control over the make up of the top division which impacts all below (albeit they deserve to have greater influence as the top clubs in the top flight).

Currently only 28x 2 day sides, half of Grade 2 don't want to be in that division, then sides like Dublin B struggled for consistent players last year will struggle with a 7/7 split this year you'd think... then you have LO1 with 10 "A" grade teams in it, and 40 teams in the LO comps.

With so much uncertainly and change every season, PDCA probably are fortunate there are no other hard wicket comps north of the CBD to be honest. Sad to think it's now around a month out from the season and they're still trying to juggle gradings and fielding complaints from clubs.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:At what point does the PDCA just pull the trigger and either go 6x teams and 5/10 split like lower grades last season, or just go to a pure one day comp?

Every year seems to feel more and more disjointed. The core Grade 1 clubs want their traditional format, the next group of Grade 2 clubs refuse to go up, then the group below that similar but miles off the pace of Grade 2.

Clubs are constantly shuffling between different grades, or going to LO1 like Central United or Pirates, and then you have clubs who are supposed to be in LO1 refusing to play there as well.

The minority clubs in the middle grades seem to hold control of the make up of the middle grades through fear of losing them, and the core Grade 1 clubs hold the control over the make up of the top division which impacts all below (albeit they deserve to have greater influence as the top clubs in the top flight).

Currently only 28x 2 day sides, half of Grade 2 don't want to be in that division, then sides like Dublin B struggled for consistent players last year will struggle with a 7/7 split this year you'd think... then you have LO1 with 10 "A" grade teams in it, and 40 teams in the LO comps.

With so much uncertainly and change every season, PDCA probably are fortunate there are no other hard wicket comps north of the CBD to be honest. Sad to think it's now around a month out from the season and they're still trying to juggle gradings and fielding complaints from clubs.

Salisbury West and Angle Vale will end up just playing a test series against each other every summer.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:47 am

Would be such a shame to see EP go back down in the grades. Seems they had put a lot of hard work in both on and off the field.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:54 am

The Bedge wrote:At what point does the PDCA just pull the trigger and either go 6x teams and 5/10 split like lower grades last season, or just go to a pure one day comp?

Your bang on and there is no simple answer.

Would SW leave the comp if it became purely a one day comp.......they would definitely entertain the idea.

Does hard wicket cricket in SA need a complete restructure. Could a merger and set up similar to amateurs' footy work. Obvious issues being driving time/distance to games, formats, getting administrators on the same page.

I agree with Bedge in that if there was another northern burbs hard wicket comp PDCA wouldn't be as fortunate.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:28 am

whufc wrote:Would SW leave the comp if it became purely a one day comp.......they would definitely entertain the idea.

Where would they go? Without senior football, not sure they're in a position to install turf at the snap of a finger. Adel & Suburban wouldn't allow them entry. Would BLCA?

whufc wrote:Does hard wicket cricket in SA need a complete restructure.
Yes. Has for years now. Let SACA run in, take the work and stress away from volunteers at community level and either run 3x metro comps (North, Central, South) or combine them all and run divisions like AdFL. Although not sure Dublin to Pt Noarlunga would be much fun. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:30 am

I've also heard a whisper that ATCO have been asked along with NEK to return to Grade 1.

Curious.. how does a club whose A grade made the Grade 2 SF, and B grade consecutive GF's in Grade 3 avoid coming into consideration?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:03 am

The Bedge wrote:I've also heard a whisper that ATCO have been asked along with NEK to return to Grade 1.

Curious.. how does a club whose A grade made the Grade 2 SF, and B grade consecutive GF's in Grade 3 avoid coming into consideration?

Would be interesting to see what Atco would say.....they would be well within their rights to tell PDCA to shove it.

They could have taken the easy option a few years ago and drop straight down the grades but chose to fight it out falling to div 3. They finally have a built a squad around a young captain and imo would be reluctant to go straight back into the deep end.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps