Phil Walsh murdered

Talk on the national game

Re: Phil Walsh murdered

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:From a media industry viewpoint, it is significant that the Advertiser and Herald Sun have released afternoon editions.
It's been a very long time since this has happened.

It used to be a thrill to take 30c to the corner deli in the afternoon as a kid. Get "The News" for Dad. At times I'd have to put a 20 pack of Winnie Reds on his account and he'd go in and pay Stella and Jim on Friday when he got paid.

Today I'll get a copy of the paper, but it won't be with any joy or excitement as it used to be.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:41 pm

I was having brekky early this morning, before any of the other travelling state team. There were only 3 other people in the whole restaurant and 2 hotel workers.

As soon as they announced the name of the person that died I simply gasped very loudly and yelled "WTF!"

We have Crows top up players travelling with us - one kid was at lunch with Phil Walsh only last week.

Today we represented the state with pride, we wore black armbands and played for Phil. We go into the Grand Final tomorrow undefeated.

The main thing that still makes this unbelievable for me is the word murder - and how this could happen in our state.

Selfishly, I'm kind of glad I'm not in SA today, it would be a very, very sad place to be.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned but what happens with the Brownlow votes for this round? Will votes from all games be excluded from this round to make the count fairer?

I heard this on radio and thought I'd bring it up.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Suri wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but what happens with the Brownlow votes for this round? Will votes from all games be excluded from this round to make the count fairer?

Who really cares?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Fricky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Suri wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but what happens with the Brownlow votes for this round? Will votes from all games be excluded from this round to make the count fairer?

Who really cares?

Fair point
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby White Line Fever » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:49 pm

RIP walshy
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:04 pm

I got teary eyed at work thinking about how it would feel to be a Crows player at the moment and how shattered they would be. Your footy coach is one of the most important people in your life, you give your heart and soul for him. My coach is such a hero to me and alot of others, he means so much to alot of people, couldn't imagine my life without him. I really feel for the players, to have your coach taken away from you like that is just unheard of, you play for the bloke every week, you believe in his process and his ideas, you hang on every word he says to you and now just like that he's gone? God it's just so hard to take.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10297 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:07 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:I got teary eyed at work thinking about how it would feel to be a Crows player at the moment and how shattered they would be. Your footy coach is one of the most important people in your life, you give your heart and soul for him. My coach is such a hero to me and alot of others, he means so much to alot of people, couldn't imagine my life without him. I really feel for the players, to have your coach taken away from you like that is just unheard of, you play for the bloke every week, you believe in his process and his ideas, you hang on every word he says to you and now just like that he's gone? God it's just so hard to take.

I can still remember every coach I have had, some of them were better than others, but even at a country b grade hack level they still have an effect on you.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:I got teary eyed at work thinking about how it would feel to be a Crows player at the moment and how shattered they would be. Your footy coach is one of the most important people in your life, you give your heart and soul for him. My coach is such a hero to me and alot of others, he means so much to alot of people, couldn't imagine my life without him. I really feel for the players, to have your coach taken away from you like that is just unheard of, you play for the bloke every week, you believe in his process and his ideas, you hang on every word he says to you and now just like that he's gone? God it's just so hard to take.

I can still remember every coach I have had, some of them were better than others, but even at a country b grade hack level they still have an effect on you.

Yeah exactly, all your coaches have some effect/impact on you as a player and person.

Best wishes to all of the Crows boys.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby southee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Went to work today ... Walked around numb all day.

Can't comprehend this. So so sad !!!!!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Good call, caught up with my first footy coach at Richmond last year as he's a mad Westies man, meant the world to me sharing a few beers and stories with him.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:47 pm

I just saw a picture of him with Danger. I wonder if Danger now re-thinks his decision, or waits to see who the next coach is.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Wattsy?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Good call, caught up with my first footy coach at Richmond last year as he's a mad Westies man, meant the world to me sharing a few beers and stories with him.

Not without co-incidence, I remember each and every coach I've had since U9's at my primary school. Could name them individually. Players I played with.... myah, couldn't tell you many of them. That's how much of an influence, good bad or indifferent each of them holds in my mind. This bloke, remember only had coach 12 games. Imagine the impact on the Crows guys if he'd been there for 4 years?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:52 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Wattsy?

Yes.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:33 pm

I woke this morning and did the usual, breckie, shower and in the car for my 70k trip to the city. Turned the radio on and went WTF? This can't be real surely it's a gag. The more I listened the more I began to realise it was reality. I was numb for 60 minutes and here it is 14 hours later and I still can't believe it. I have children and grand children and right now, footy means zip, I feel for the family. We can all play our great game with passion every week but this would be like being hit with a truck to them.
God give everyone close to Walshy the strength to soldier on. I'm sure that's what he would want, and I've never had the privilege to meet him.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Brodlach » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:57 am

Well it's been 24 hours since the news broke and it is still making me feel numb.

After reading back on the 10 pages of this thread I would like to say THANKYOU to all who post such incredible posts. No one trying to "point score", no one being a "wanker" and everyone just together as one. So well done to the SAFooty community.

Last night goes to show that no matter who you play for or who you support we all just love this great, unique game of ours. The level of genuine support has been overwhelming by the whole AFL community
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Today I can't help thinking about my role as a father to my boys, and how so many other insignificant things get in the way from enjoying time with them. Don't just hug them and tell them how much you love them, go and engage with them and do the things they love doing, together.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby LPH » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:Today I can't help thinking about my role as a father to my boys, and how so many other insignificant things get in the way from enjoying time with them. Don't just hug them and tell them how much you love them, go and engage with them and do the things they love doing, together.

^^^^ This!
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby JK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Had the privilege of spending a few days in hospital earlier in the week, and took in the sites and sounds of other patients who unfortunately weren't in a good way. Speaking with my mates once I was out I was explaining how it gave me the perspective jolt I (and I would suggest many) probably needed - Really hit home how quickly the remaining time will go, and to get as much done as possible in that time, and spend as much of it as possible with loved ones. Im not sure if that added to the situation when news of Phil Walsh came through, but I genuinely implore people to get as much done as you'd like, because whilst we often feel like tomorrow will never come - It will! And we wont always know when.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL