Round 4 stuff

Talk on the national game

Round 4 stuff

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:14 am

It’s ANZAC Day on Saturday and boy oh boy wowee do we have some crackers this week, unfortunately none of them are on Friday night football! Who programs this stuff, who decides to kill our hopes of a great weekend of footy by throwing up these rubbish Friday night fixtures?

The weekend kicks off with The Tigers and the Demons under the microscope that is Friday night football. The Tigers went up to Brisvegas and did a number on the young Bears who went into hibernation after half time while Melbourne came to Adelaide and did a number on Patrick Dangerfield. Not sure if you’ve heard about it or not, but the Adelaide players, crowd and eventually coach got all uppity about Bern giving Patty a hard time. While Melbourne have been about average at best, like Jack Watts’ marking attempts, they’ve got one thing the Tigers fear, enough players to make up a side. Richmond should win this one and win it comfortably, that’s why this week would be terrifying for Tigers fans. They like expectation about as much as Chan and Sukamaran like fireworks. Tigers by 25 in a rotten spectacle.

New Zealanders also get a taste of Anzac Day footy, St.Kilda head over the ditch and the AFL have been kind enough to send Carlton with them. What a marketing ploy by the AFL to keep Kiwis from moving over here. So while the “AFL” badge will be on the guernseys and promoted as such, it isn’t really AFL the Kiwis are getting, it’s certainly Aussie Rules, but it’s kind of VFL/SANFL/WAFL at it’s best, which is well below AFL standard. St.Kilda got touched up by an undermanned Pies outfit last week while Carlton battled away against the Bombers. Mick told the Blues to fight for it, Yarran took it literally and had a swing at Chapman, it seemed to connect, Chappy wasn’t sure if it did. Lies I tell you, damn lies! The lovers of live stock won’t be overly excited by this one, the ex-pat Aussies will think twice about going (especially if they’ve watched any footy over the last 10 years and know what this one will dish up ) and Westpac Stadium at Wellington might be the only place on Earth capable of dishing up conditions that could be worse than this one. I really don’t know. St Nick will miss another one while Mick Malthouse joins Jock McHale this week on games coached, he might just be smart enough and savvy enough to drag a win from this one I think. Kiwis will think kicking a footy is impossible after they watch 40 blokes struggle to get it right for 2 hours. This will be more rotten than the Friday night fixture. Carlton by 8 points.

Anzac Day, Saturday afternoon footy, the Bombers and the Pies. Expect a packed house for this one. The Bombers held off a gallant Carlton last week while the Pies ran all over the Saints. Not an easy form line to read. Essendon have got some real quality in defence, both on the field and in the court room while the Pies have players at both ends and in the middle who have a big gap between their best and their worst. Inconsistency from individuals will hurt the Pies, the barometer for the side, Cloke, will have his hands full with Carlile, Hooker and Dustin Fletcher, who by coincidence celebrates his 100th Anzac Day match on the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing. Well done Fletch. Most will think the Bombers will drop plenty of pressure onto the Pies defence, while the Bombers back half holds firm. This is one for all neutrals to watch, it is a blockbuster in every sense of the word and one of those games where ladder position means little. Essendon by 27 points.

While the rest of the country acknowledges Anzac Day, it’s Expansion Saturday at Star Track Oval in Canberra where Andy Dimitriou will be the guest of honour. He gets an honorary membership to both clubs, a scarfe, beanie, guernsey, pretty much anything he wants, both clubs ordered for too much gear at the start of the year and they’ll do anything to get rid of it. GWS were good against the Swans, real good, 1 less scoring shot and lost by 3 goals. Meanwhile the Suns beat 21 of the Cats into the ground, but forget about Selwood. Both sides lost closely to more fancied opponents, the only drawback to the Suns loss is they had a tired, old, injury depleted Cats side on the ropes and couldn’t knock them out. An improved showing from the Suns last week would give them hope this week, but I think they newest team in the comp might be a touch to good for the second newest team in the comp. Canberra, although not that far geographically from the Gold Coast is about as far away from Sun, sand and warmth as any of the GC boys have been for a while and GWS like playing there. Should be a good one here, GWS by 17 points but a Suns win wouldn’t surprise.

Saturday night and Adelaide Oval will be cold, wet and windy by all reports. Every chance on a Saturday night that I’ll be warm, thirsty and windy but that’s besides the point. Port host the Hawks and this one will be a tough one in the clinches and neither side is likely to be able to use their greatest weapons. Port with it’s run and flair and the Hawks with their precision foot skills to advantage. Port toughed out a much needed win over the Roos under the roof while the Hawks belted the young Dogs down in Tassie. Hawthorn fans happy the losing streak came to an end. Port fans happy theirs did too. With average conditions expected this will be a real battle in the true Anzac spirit. Tough in close, giving everything for your mates and never giving in. Losing Wines will hurt Port’s contested ball winning ability, funny that, my Mrs loses wines all the time, usually by the bottle. Port had some keys find form last weekend, the back half generated some run and gave the forward a look at it. Hawthorn just did what they do best, harassed and ran over their opponents with pressure when they don’t have it and precision when they do. Hodge had several hundred touches and Roughead bagged 7. Roughead is Gaelic for “two heads, both of them ugly”, that’s why they love him on the Apple Isle. Another big test for Port and I think they’re ready to really take it to a quality side. Port by 3 points in a classic.

Over in the West the Dockers take on the Swannies. The Dockers had an easy one last weekend, they had the second half off against the Weagles and really wouldn’t have had a recovery session on Monday morning, they did that at ¾ time while the Swannies led by Buddy and the very classy looking Heeney who, despite his best efforts, couldn’t break a post like Lethal Leigh did all those years ago. Might be the size of the players involved and the posts involved. Doesn’t matter, not good enough Isaac! The Dockers have added some attack to their much talked about defensive game, the Swannies are marching along like they always do. Franklin looks in great form, he’s going pretty well on and off field by the looks of it. This one will be a pressure cooker, both sides tackle, harass and pressure their opponents better than most, only the Hawks do it as well and this one might be a case of who cracks first loses. Will be an interesting side show here, will Adam Goodes pick himself this week or leave himself out again? Long way to go to be a sub and the frequent flyer miles are worth about as much as a Zimbabwean dollar. Any side that goes to Perth, plays the Purple Army and takes the points really, really earns them. The home side, in another tight one, by 10 points.

The Bears play host to the Eagles in Brissy this weekend, both teams had stinging losses last weekend, the Weagles at least showed some fight late after being pumped by the Waterside Workers in the WA Derby. The Bears look like they’ve got a long, long season ahead of them. They’re struggling to kick goals ( 11,8 and 7 in the first three games ) and struggling to stop their opponent kicking them ( 12, 20 and 21 ). That’s one thing the Weagles can do, score quickly with a very potent forward half and their midfield, led by Brownlow Medallist....Scott, no, Phil, no....what’s his name? Well, anyway, their midfield is better than the bottom 5-6 sides and their forward half is about as good as the top 6-8 with some real guns. This one might actually be a shoot out, neither side has a defence and if it does become about who can score the most, the Bears lose. Long way from Perth to Brisbane, Phuket is closer, I think by the end of it the Bears will be thinking “Phuket” after another loss. Eagles by 22.

The blue hoops host the blue stripes at Cat Park. The Hoops held on over the Suns thanks to Joel Selwood, his last half pretty much won the game for the Hoops while the high jumper and a couple of kids stood up in the last quarter, the Stripes lost a frenetic one under the roof. Many players say backing up after a game under the roof can be tough, the legs feel it. Well, after last weeks game the Roos will be hopping mad. Lindsay “Diver Down” Thomas snaffled two in two minutes late to take the lead and you would have thought they’d hold on from there. The Hoops lose Bartel and Stokes, one is a big loss the other one is Stokes. With Selwood playing a lone hand in the middle and an ageing defence vulnerable to continued attacks I can’t see the Cats holding the Roos midfield at bay. I think the Roos are a good thing in this one, by 32 points.

The last one of the weekend has the ‘Scrays hosting the Crows under the roof. Quite looking forward to this one, mainly because it means I can sit in the man cave on a Sunday afternoon in peace and quiet with a couple of frothys to ease the pain of the impending Monday morning. The Dogs got ripped apart by the Hawks in Tassie, while Adelaide did what they had to beating the Demons by 5 goals in Adelaide. This will be a good test for both sides. If Adelaide are genuine, they should beat the Dogs, if the Dogs are as improving as people think, they should take it right up to the Crow boys. Adelaide have a very potent forward line, a midfield with 3 genuine stars and that should be enough to see them kick a winning score. The only real draw back from this one will be watching Adelaide play in that clash guernsey, at least if they start winning I can just sit and laugh at what they’re wearing. Adelaide by 16 points. #nowtheyhatebernie

Take this for what it’s worth, last week got you 9 winners.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7518 times
Been liked: 10813 times

Re: Round 4 stuff

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:39 am

good work Boon...

i am looking forward to ANOTHER Friday night block buster...

All of the four teams playing saturday night were in the top 5, why would you play them roughly at the same time. Move one of them to friday night.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:31 am

woodublieve12 wrote:good work Boon...

i am looking forward to ANOTHER Friday night block buster...

All of the four teams playing saturday night were in the top 5, why would you play them roughly at the same time. Move one of them to friday night.

Apparently Melbourne had very limited requests this year when it came to the AFL disturbing

There major request was to be playing on the Friday night before ANZAC day which they got
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5609 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:44 pm

I reckon tomorrow's game will be a good one. Melbourne v Richmond games have been close in recent seasons. For some reason the Tiggers struggle to shake them off. I reckon the Dees can go close.

The most accurate prediction in Boons efforts was the comment about him being Windy ha ha.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:57 pm

friday night games so far this season have been terrible.

its hard to know without being in melbourne, but surely they would get higher ratings for a game where both teams are up and about rather than a game that has a big melbourne following?

i wonder what the ratings of a carlton richmond game would be compared to say north melbourne port.

on a friday night i reckon it wouldn't be that much different, as that is the night where most of us will watch the footy regardless of who is playing. probably wrong about that though given the amount of times they program carlton collingwood and richmond on a friday night even though none of them deserve it. it especially sucks this week where we have two cracking saturday night games to flick between and a boring friday night game.

i wonder what would happen if they moved to having two friday night games. surely that would be better for fox then a saturday twilight game or whatever.

you would think part of the rights would dictate that fridays are always a standalone game but it would be cool if they had two games on a friday, they could then schedule GWS or GC or any of the other lower drawing teams for a few friday nights to get a bit of extra exposure.

anyway, i digress.

back to the games, i agree with boon about the crows. If the crows really have improved as we think they might have, these are the sorts of games they need to win and win well. I was slightly nervous about melbourne last week, and am even more nervous about this one. These are the sorts of games the crows have routinely dropped in recent years, when they should have won. If they turn up to play they should win by 6 goals but I'm not too confident.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Coach Bombay » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Good to see Gold Coast finally drop Sam day. The blokes almost as bad as James stellar. 67 games and still under 50 goals for a full forward.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby carey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Having a chat with the footy lads tonight they all reckon I'm idiot (I'm sure there won't be many arguments) but I genuinely think most games could go either way this round. I can't see many 8's or 9's in footy tips this week.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Carlton with no Judd or Yarran. We were terrible last week and the only saving grace was that Essendon were only slightly more hopeless.

If Riewoldt played, I'd suspect this would be a loss. This could be a nil all draw.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:10 am

carey wrote:Having a chat with the footy lads tonight they all reckon I'm idiot (I'm sure there won't be many arguments) but I genuinely think most games could go either way this round. I can't see many 8's or 9's in footy tips this week.

I think your right Carey, Ladbrokes also agree, offering $2 for all favourites, there is not a result that would surprise you and you'd say geez that was a bit of an upset, even half expect Melbourne to go close tomorrow night
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1662 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:00 am

Richmond - Dees will give them a fright early before the Tiges run away with it
St.Kilda - I simply cannot pick Carlton
Essendon - Goddard to start talking flags after they beat the Pies
Gold Coast - Value bet of the round
Hawthorn - Won't lose twice in 3 weeks
Fremantle - Most in form side in the comp ATM
West Coast - The Lions can't kick a winning score
North Melbourne - We have less injured players than the Cats
Adelaide - When do they play a good team???

To our ANZACS, heroes in the true sense of the word.
We owe you a debt we will never be able to repay - Thankyou.
Last edited by Spargo on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5520 times
Been liked: 5153 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby stan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:22 am

Spargo are you drunk mate? Whilst the lions cant kick a winnig score we have no defenders left! That might help.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:33 am

Hope we put up a decent effort. Heading over as usual for ANZAC Day, looking forward to the Presidents lunch with Harvs and Cooney as speakers
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 am

stan wrote:Spargo are you drunk mate? Whilst the lions cant kick a winnig score we have no defenders left! That might help.

Toughest game for mine so I looked at the prices.
West Coast $1.45
Brisbane $2.75

Spargo
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:40 am

Spargo wrote:Adelaide - When do they play a good team???

what about that side that made the prelim last year that we smashed?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

bennymacca wrote:
Spargo wrote:Adelaide - When do they play a good team???

what about that side that made the prelim last year that we smashed?

We're not a good team this year........ yet.

Spargo
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 am

i do agree that our early season draw is very good though. gotta make hay whilst the sun shines though.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:56 am

bennymacca wrote:i do agree that our early season draw is very good though. gotta make hay whilst the sun shines though.

Very true. You cant contril the draw so do you best with the hand that you have beem dealt.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Feenix » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:57 am

Definitely a few upsets bound to happen this week, you could make some money with a few well placed bets.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:15 pm

As I said last week I take what you say @booney as gospel

This week the same apart from the fact that the hawks will win
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11910 times
Been liked: 3625 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:40 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Carlton with no Judd or Yarran. We were terrible last week and the only saving grace was that Essendon were only slightly more hopeless.

If Riewoldt played, I'd suspect this would be a loss. This could be a nil all draw.

I reckon it will be an entertaining game that both sides will win and lose several times before the night is out. I haven't seen Carlton play at the level St Kilda showed against Gold Coast yet this season so a win for the Sainters could be on the cards.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL