Anzac Day

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Anzac Day

Postby Q. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Haven't hosted an Anzac Day for some time.

For those that have done it recently, what is the standard structure of pre-game proceedings?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Anzac Day

Postby turk186 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Q. wrote:Haven't hosted an Anzac Day for some time.

For those that have done it recently, what is the standard structure of pre-game proceedings?

Greenies have done Anzac day for the last few years and we generally get teams and umps etc to line up,

we have a digger from next door come over and do the ode followed by silence etc. We have allways had a bugular (spelling) and this adds a really nice edge.

Pretty sure you can download a structure from the RSL website and go by that.

I think we have Elizabeth that day so should be a ripper
Opinions and bumholes..you either have one or are one IMO
turk186
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Greenacres

Postby Q. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 pm

I couldn't find much online.

Just found one from the Essendon website though. They list the order of proceedings as:

Recite “The Ode”
One minute silence
Last Post
Reveille
National Anthem
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Sounds about right
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:40 pm

turk186 wrote:we have a digger from next door come over

An inmate?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby turk186 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 am

Q. wrote:I couldn't find much online.

Just found one from the Essendon website though. They list the order of proceedings as:

Recite “The Ode”
One minute silence
Last Post
Reveille
National Anthem

Q try searching Anzac Day order
then ....outline commemoration service for Anzac Day
this then lists a number of options for you to look at

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post the link
turk186
League Bench Warmer

Postby turk186 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:07 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
turk186 wrote:we have a digger from next door come over

An inmate?

Idiot
turk186
League Bench Warmer

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:26 am

If the inmate was any sort of decent digger, he wouldn't be an inmate anymore ;)

Greenacres have got one of the best ANZAC day set ups that I've seen in the SAAFL - they do it well.

You would be wise to heed the advice of an expert Q...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby Burras » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:22 am

turk186 wrote:
Q. wrote:Haven't hosted an Anzac Day for some time.

Greenies have done Anzac day for the last few years and we generally get teams and umps etc to line up,

we have a digger from next door come over and do the ode followed by silence etc. We have allways had a bugular (spelling) and this adds a really nice edge.

Pretty sure you can download a structure from the RSL website and go by that.

I think we have Elizabeth that day so should be a ripper

Greenacres do a very good anzac day. I played in one a couple of years ago and it was very well done
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Footy Chick wrote:If the inmate was any sort of decent digger, he wouldn't be an inmate anymore ;)

Greenacres have got one of the best ANZAC day set ups that I've seen in the SAAFL - they do it well.

You would be wise to heed the advice of an expert Q...

Kenilworth hosted a very good one last year and will be doing it again this year
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:26 am

Just wondering if any clubs & officials are copping any crap for playing on Anzac day. I've had a few complaints & I'm only on our junior committee.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:28 am

cracka wrote:Just wondering if any clubs & officials are copping any crap for playing on Anzac day. I've had a few complaints & I'm only on our junior committee.

Quite the opposite. We've got resounding levels of excitement.

Only disappointed people are in the C/D Grade because they'll miss out on the experience at home.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 am

jo172 wrote:
cracka wrote:Just wondering if any clubs & officials are copping any crap for playing on Anzac day. I've had a few complaints & I'm only on our junior committee.

Quite the opposite. We've got resounding levels of excitement.

Only disappointed people are in the C/D Grade because they'll miss out on the experience at home.

I just realised that we play juniors in the morning, it's mostly about the playing games before midday.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby morell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:47 am

At risk of being howled down...

I'm not a massive fan of playing footy on ANZAC day. To me ANZAC day is the most sacrosanct day on the calendar.

I can't stand the football to war correlations. The borderline celebrations of lunacy. The xenophobia.

We should swap our attitudes about Good Friday and ANZAC day around. ANZAC day should be - everything is shut, no one works all day, sombre, reflective, quiet. Good Friday should then be whatever you want day including playing footy, getting on the turps et al.

It makes me tilt my head when I think we have a day where according to the law you can't even sell a beer for an illusionist born 2000+ years ago with little to no influence on our modern day culture, compared to ANZAC day which has turned into a day for terrible VB ads, shitty over dramatised football games and bogan rhetoric - instead of a time to remember the fallen.

/rant
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am

The Act allows for the restriction of public sports and entertainment between 5.00am and 12noon on ANZAC Day.

The ANZAC Day restriction applies to an organisation who proposes to, or would normally conduct a major sporting or entertainment event on ANZAC Day.
In 2015 Anzac Day falls on a Saturday.
2015 is also the 100th Anniversary of the Gallipoli Landings.

A major sporting or entertainment event is defined as one in which:
- Tickets for admission are made available for purchase by a member of the public prior to the holding of the activity; and
- Tickets for admission are required for entry to the event or activity.

When this occurs organisations will need to plan not to commence or conduct that event between 5.00am and 12noon on ANZAC Day

The whole thing is here: http://ors.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/151699/ANZAC_Day_Fact_Sheet_updated_and_approved_by_Crown_Law_for_ANZAC_Day_2015.pdf
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 am

I swear we go though the same rigmarole every year with this.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:00 pm

morell wrote:At risk of being howled down...

I'm not a massive fan of playing footy on ANZAC day. To me ANZAC day is the most sacrosanct day on the calendar.

I can't stand the football to war correlations. The borderline celebrations of lunacy. The xenophobia.

We should swap our attitudes about Good Friday and ANZAC day around. ANZAC day should be - everything is shut, no one works all day, sombre, reflective, quiet. Good Friday should then be whatever you want day including playing footy, getting on the turps et al.

It makes me tilt my head when I think we have a day where according to the law you can't even sell a beer for an illusionist born 2000+ years ago with little to no influence on our modern day culture, compared to ANZAC day which has turned into a day for terrible VB ads, shitty over dramatised football games and bogan rhetoric - instead of a time to remember the fallen.

/rant

Couldn't agree more, the day has become one of commercialized jingoism rather than remembering the fallen.

The AFL (and particularly Collingwood and Essendon) should be ashamed of what they've done to the day. Shit like having the match ball delivered by helicopter is ridiculous.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby morell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:19 pm

jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:At risk of being howled down...

/rant

Couldn't agree more, the day has become one of commercialized jingoism rather than remembering the fallen.

The AFL (and particularly Collingwood and Essendon) should be ashamed of what they've done to the day. Shit like having the match ball delivered by helicopter is ridiculous.
The VB ad where they're all whistling in front the war memorial makes we want to punch the TV. I'd go as far as saying that unless you're not for profit with the specific goal of assisting veterans, you simply are not able to leverage ANZAC day for any marketing purposes whatsoever. AFL, VB, whatever. Make it 100% illegal.

So my answer to Q would be - keep it very simple, respectful and reflective.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:22 pm

If ANZAC day falls on a Saturday then no issue at all. Play it as it comes. Some Country Leagues have their round 1 on ANZAC day and usually a grand final rematch.

What I have issue with is clubs hijacking the regular program when the day falls in the middle of the week. Amateur clubs are only penalising themselves as the do not have the resources or player commitment to recover for the following games.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:27 pm

For what it's worth our program for the Day is to have Ode to the Fallen/Last Post/National Anthem played before the senior game with a Minute's silence and a decorated World War 2 Vet/Past Player to toss the coin. The emphasis being on respecting the day, and in particular what the day is about (which it clearly is not about us/football).

In order to do some good the Committee/Coaching Group/A few players are going to the local RSL at 4:30 to cook up the breakfast to allow the usual volunteers/diggers who do that job to enjoy the dawn service for once.
jo172
League - Top 5

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League