Hogg Shield Grand Final Thread 2014

Into tipping/fantasy/dreamteam/supercoach/ultimate footy competitions? Its all discussed here!

Hogg Shield Grand Final Thread 2014

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:49 pm

This is the thread for all Hogg Grand Final discussions, previews and reviews. Write away gentlemen, and Gibbo....and Hammo.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Re: Hogg Shield Grand Final Thread 2014

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 pm

HOGG ELITE GRAND FINAL

Q BEFORE YOU

DEF: HANLEY SWALLOW SIMPSON BURGOYNE MITCHELL SUCKLING BEWS
MID: ROCKLIFF SELWOOD SLOANE PENDLEBURY GRAY GIBBS LIBERATORE GODDARD BARRY
RUCK: SANDILANDS MINSON BROWN
FWD: PARKER FRANKLIN ZORKO DANGERFIELD D MARTIN S MARTIN CAMERON

HONDO SCC

DEF: McVEIGH JAENSCH SWALLOW SIMPSON B SMITH MITCHELL SUCKLING
MID: FYFE SELWOOD SLOANE PENDLEBURY PARKER KENNEDY MURPHY JACK O'BRIEN
RUCK: JACOBS SANIDLANDS WOOD
FWD: FRANKLIN S MARTIN DANGERFIELD ROUGHEAD D MARTIN BILLINGS CAMERON

The first ever Hogg Elite Grand Final is betwen two Hogg veterans who have had to defeat top opposition to get here. Hondo has been his normal consistent self for the majority of the year but in recent weeks his team has struggled due to the well documented carnage. Q had an interesting early run when he wasn't scoring all that well but was still recording victories.

Once he got his forward line settled the scores and the victories came and his side is in better shape than most at this time of the season as last week's score of over 2500 indicated. Looking at the teams above it's clear to see that if Hondo does not have any trades he does not win this match. Even then, he will have to use two trades to fix the midfield. If he can't bring in Rockliff (Hondo also has Beams) somehow I don't think he can win it. Two trades in the mids still wouldn't fix the forward line with Pavlich being in doubt for the Port match so I'm tipping that Q Before You will be the first ever Premier in the Hogg Elite League.
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 pm

HOGG PREMIER GRAND FINAL

Has Been

DEF: HANLEY McVEIGH SWALLOW BARTEL B SMITH MITCHELL McDONALD
MID: PENDLEBURY ROCKLIFF SELWOOD BEAMS PARKER MURPHY GODDARD WINGARD O'BRIEN
RUCK: SANDILANDS NAITANUI CURRIE
FWD: FRANKLIN S MARTIN ZORKO DANGERFIELD D MARTIN DALHOUSE HONEYCHURCH

Cork in the Ocean

DEF: McVEIGH SWALLOW SIMPSON BARTEL BURGOYNE MITCHELL BEWS
MID: PENDLEBURY ROCKLIFF SELWOOD SLOANE LIBERATORE SIDEBOTTOM GODDARD S JOHNSON MORABITO
RUCK: JACOBS SANIDLANDS WOOD
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD PARKER ZORKO D MARTIN SHENTON FANTASIA

This weekend's match will be the eighth Hogg Premier League Grand Final and the winner of this one will be the 7th team to win the Hogg Premier title. Both teams have had to win their way up through the Grades with Cork in the Ocean promoted by virtue of high scoring as the reigning premier of the year before sensationally opted out of the Hogg that Summer. Ironically, that team was just demoted from Division I this year.

Has Been are attempting to be the first team since Pup's Mr Football in 2008 to win Hogg Premier League at his first attempt although the league ranking back then was around 5000, now it is 90. As the Hogg gets tougher, it's tougher to rewrite history. Looking at the teams Cork in the Ocean has less holes to plug. Steve Johnson probably won't play so if Corky has the one trade it will be to replace the Cat midfielder. Corky's selection of Sidebottom is an inspired one and it could prove to be a premiership winning selection.

Has Been has to replace Beams if he can and he'd have to be worried about the health of Nick Nat and Marc Murphy as well. If either of these two players miss then that makes Has Been's task of winning the Premier League almost impossible. Has Been has been solid throughout the year but Cork in the Ocean have been pretty much top of the tree or pretty close to it. I predict that Ingall can maintain the advantage and I predict Cork in the Ocean will be the newest team to win the title of Hogg Premier League winner.

regards,

REB
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:35 pm

HOGG CHAMPIONS GRAND FINAL

Underdogs

DEF: MALCESKI SWALLOW BARTEL JAENSCH ENRIGHT HURN GARDINER
MID: PENDLEBURY SLOANE PRIDDIS LIBERATORE COTCHIN GODDARD WINGARD WATSON O'BRIEN
RUCK: JACOBS SANDILANDS BROWN
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN ROUGHEAD S MARTIN CAMERON

eddieslittleindians

DEF: McVEIGH MALCESKI SWALLOW BARTEL SIMPSON BIRCHALL LITHERLAND
MID: PENDLEBURY ROCKLIFF SELWOOD SLOANE PRIDDIS KENNEDY COTCHIN GODDARD L TAYLOR
RUCK: SANDILANDS S MARTIN COX
FWD: PARKER DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN FRANKLIN HIGGINS SHENTON

Underdogs heavy scoring this season was not rewarded in the Premier League this season but they were rewarded overall with a berth in the Hogg Champions League Grand Final. If the Dogs can win this premiership though, it will be hard earned. As you can see above eddieslittleindians have forged a formidable combimation with few, if any weaknesses. When a team has Dean Cox as a back up ruckman you know you are up against a serious player.

However, Gibbo is no slouch herself. If she can roll the indians it will be a real scalp (ha ha, couldn't resist) and there is a distinct lack of red players in this particular matchup. The problem children for their respective sides are Wingard and Hurn for the Dogs and Birchall and Simpson for the indians. I believe that Simpson won't finish the season with two dud games in a row and Collingwood are a rabble and that Birchall may cash in as well. I don't think Wingard can ton up against Fremantle and I expect Gray's scoring to be impacted as well so I'm selecting eddieslittleindians to win the premiership.
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby fish » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Hey REB I see you have Naitanui in red ink along with other injured/suspended players - is he out this week or just under a cloud?
fish
Coach

Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Does Hondo have trades left? Do I have any left? Hopefully there's no late outs, or Ross Lyon like shenanigans, otherwise we're both ******.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:05 pm

fish wrote:Hey REB I see you have Naitanui in red ink along with other injured/suspended players - is he out this week or just under a cloud?

No FISH, haven't heard anything about Nick Nat. He didn't play last week and I haven't heard anything hence the red. Not all reds will miss. red indicates some doubt. Not sure what happened with Nick Nat.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:26 pm

DIVISION I GRAND FINAL

Les' Men

DEF: McVEIGH MALCESKI SWALLOW SIMPSON BURGOYNE MITCHELL BEWS
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD ROCKLIFF LIBERATORE BEAMS COTCHIN MURPHY WATSON SHENTON
RUCK: JACOBS SANDILANDS DERICKX
FWD: GRAY PARKER DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN FRANKLIN HONEYCHURCH

SHARKS

DEF: SWALLOW BURGOYNE HANLEY ENRIGHT MITCHELL SUCKLING SCHOENMAKERS
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD ROCKLIFF SLOANE MCRAE BARLOW A SWALLOW MILES MCDONALD
RUCK: SANDILANDS MUMFORD BROWN
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD HARVEY D MARTIN FRANKLIN PAVLICH CAMERON

The battle of the two brand new Hogg Premier sides is between Les's Men who have been a dominant side all season and the SHARKS who have come good at the right time of the season. My mate Spiro (SHARKS) will need to have a trade or two up his sleeve if he hopes to unseat Les's Men who have coverage for his men in Red wihout needing to trade. In the 24 hours between Grand Final previews in this thread Murphy appears to be a more certain starter.

Spiro is cursing Barlow and especially Harvey right now (well who isn't?) and Pav's injury and doubt over his appearance in the Final is a problem he didn't need. Les's Men look to be the stronger side and he's one step ahead of the SHARKS. Les's Men will win this one and say goodbye to Division I with a farewell premiership.
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 pm

DIVISION II GRAND FINAL

Delicious

DEF: McVEIGH SWALLOW SIMPSON HANLEY B SMITH JAENSCH BEWS
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD ROCKLIFF LIBERATORE KENNEDY BEAMS GODDARD BARLOW HARTUNG
RUCK: SANDILANDS MINSON THURLOW
FWD: GRAY PARKER DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN S MARTIN BREUST

eddieslittleindians

MID: PENDLEBURY ROCKLIFF SELWOOD SLOANE PRIDDIS KENNEDY COTCHIN GODDARD L TAYLOR

If I was Valleys this would be how I would set up my Ruck/Fwd division as he attempts to perform the impossible against eddieslittleindians this weekend. It would be Stef onfield in preference to Bruest and hope like hell Big Will plays. If Delicious has any trades then clearly they should be applied in the midfield. JPK returns for Valleys this week but Beams is out and Barlow is unlikely. If Valleys has no trade then he has no premiership.

It's been a mighty effort to get this far for Delicious but the indians are the genuine article. eddieslittleindians in a canter.
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:25 pm

DIVISION III GRAND FINAL

The Far Callers

Team not available

Such is Fyfe

Team not available

Haven't had much info from Divvy III all season but this Grand Final is between Ron Burgundy (Callers) and footysthewinner (Such is Ffye). In the Divvy III thread Ron said there will be very little between the two sides. On scoring this season the Far Callers are nearly two thousand points ahead so they've been the better combination all season. This doesn't mean Ron Burgundy will get the choccies but with such little evidence to go on, I'm sticking with the numbers here and I'm selecting The Far Callers to win Divvy III this season.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:41 pm

DIVISION IV GRAND FINAL

Duromine Dependent

DEF: McVEIGH MALCESKI SWALLOW BARTEL SIMPSON MITCHELL McDONALD
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD PRIDDIS ROCKLIFF LIBERATORE COTCHIN LEWIS DELEDIO O'BRIEN
RUCK: JACOBS SANDILANDS THURLOW
FWD: GRAY PARKER DANGERFIELD D MARTIN N RIEWOLDT S MARTIN CAMERON

The Willies

DEF: McVEIGH MALCESKI SWALLOW SIMPSON BURGOYNE B SMITH GEORGIOU
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD PRIDDIS ROCKLIFF LIBERATORE KENNEDY WINES TYSON TURNER
RUCK: JACOBS RYDER HOLMES
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN BRUEST S MARTIN B JOHNSON

Once again Division IV has provided the Hogg Shield with some of its top scoring coaches but it isn't ZedForce and Adelaide Crows who have made it to the Grand Final. Last season Duromine Dependent and The Willies weren't all that strong but both teams have had excellent seasons this year. Looking at the teams above they would go on to challenge a lot of teams in much higher Divisions.

Both teams look a little light on for coverage but the strategy of both coaches may have been to concentrate on the 22 that take the field rather than trading for back up players throughout the year. Both teams have in form players such as Ryder for The Willies and Jordan Lewis for Duromine Dependent. This suggests that both coaches have somehow managed to win against top opposition throughout the year while keeping their powder dry for August.

In what looks like maybe the best Grand Final this weekend, it's hard to go past that Duromine Dependent combination. I reckon PP Lions will salute and Duromine Dependent will collect their first premiership.
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:43 pm

PIGLET SHIELD GRAND FINAL

Underdogs

DEF: MALCESKI SWALLOW BARTEL JAENSCH ENRIGHT HURN GARDINER
MID: PENDLEBURY SLOANE PRIDDIS LIBERATORE COTCHIN GODDARD WINGARD WATSON O'BRIEN
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN ROUGHEAD S MARTIN CAMERON

SHARKS

DEF: SWALLOW BURGOYNE HANLEY ENRIGHT MITCHELL SUCKLING SCHOENMAKERS
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD ROCKLIFF SLOANE MCRAE BARLOW A SWALLOW MILES MCDONALD
RUCK: SANDILANDS MUMFORD BROWN
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD HARVEY D MARTIN FRANKLIN PAVLICH CAMERON

The Piglet Shield is my family league and is open by invitation only. Hondo won the first Piglet Shield and went on to bigger and better things and since then Underdogs, REBCats and SHARKS have pretty much dominated ever since. The Piglet is a league with a vast gap between the contenders and the also rans unlike most Hogg Divisions. In rankings, it's ahead of only Divvy V and VI.

The Underdogs are well poised to win their third Piglet title and their first since 2011. Gibbo probably needs to get in another midfielder if she can and then she should almost be carnageproof. Not so Spiro. He's got more holes than Abe Simpson's jocks in that team and he'll be hoping that Suckling can play this week and if he can't, Clangermakers is drafted in. Having Pavlich go down on the eve of the Preliminary Final didn't help his cause either. Spiro is playing in second Piglet Grand Final and I reckon it might be a second straight loss as it's hard to go past an Underdogs victory.
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Pavlich and Barlow IN. Massive news. Suckling out, Schoenmakers in.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Coverage players Blaine Johnson out for Carlton, Impey in for Port.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Murphy in for the Blues.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Dusty Martin back for Richmond.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Groover » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Goldstein a big out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:35 pm

DIVISION V GRAND FINAL

RustyCage

DEF: McVEIGH SWALLOW BURGOYNE JAENSCH R MURPHY FISCHER LANGFORD
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD ROCKLIFF ZORKO MCRAE SHUEY MONTAGNA MILES AISH
RUCK: SANDILANDS NAITANUI THURLOW
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD D MARTIN FRANKLIN PAVLICH S MARTIN IMPEY

Pool Swimmers

DEF: McVEIGH SWALLOW BARTEL SIMPSON HANLEY MITCHELL McDONALD
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD SLOANE PRIDDIS ROCKLIFF EBERT GODDARD S JOHNSON COONEY
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN FRANKLIN S MARTIN CAMERON

pafc1870 aka RustyCage has had his best ever SuperCoach season and this is one of two lower grade Grand Finals that he will be participating in this weekend. While I reckon the Cage is a good chance to beat Joker in Divvy VI I'm not so sure about him beating the Pool Swimmers. And who are these Pool Swimmers I don't hear you ask? Well, buggered if I know as I only have 'Okie's mate' written in my spreadsheet so if I could work out who the bloody hell Okie is then we'll all be on a winner LOL.

Well, whoever the dude is he sure as shit has a bloody good SuperCoach side. If Steve Johnson misses as expected, then he has Adam Cooney as a handy replacement. The Cage will be looking at Miles or Aish this weekend so Cooney would probably be a comparable scorer than those two players against the opposition they are up against this weekend.

There isn't much red in the Cage lineup but there appears to be a few 'mid pricers' and overall they don't stack up that well against the Pool Swimmers. My tip is the Pool Swimmers to win the flag despite RustyCage's habit of being a giant killer in the latter part of the season.
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:46 pm

DIVISION VI GRAND FINAL

RustyCage

DEF: McVEIGH SWALLOW BURGOYNE JAENSCH R MURPHY FISCHER LANGFORD
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD ROCKLIFF ZORKO MCRAE SHUEY MONTAGNA MILES AISH
RUCK: SANDILANDS NAITANUI THURLOW
FWD: GRAY DANGERFIELD D MARTIN FRANKLIN PAVLICH S MARTIN IMPEY

Raging Hooligans

DEF: McVEIGH SWALLOW B SMITH R MURPHY BIRCHALL MITCHELL CLUREY
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD PRIDDIS KENNEDY MURPHY EBERT WATSON COONEY MICHIE
RUCK: JACOBS SANDILANDS LOBB
FWD: DANGERFIELD N RIEWOLDT BRUEST L JETTA CLOKE J MURDOCH BROOMHEAD

The Joker (Raging Hooligans) has been battling away in the lowest Division for years and in 2014 he finally won his way out of it. RustyCage was a last minute inclusion to help fill up the league. Both of these teams beat promising newcomers Isotopes and Loose Husseys to make this Grand Final. The Cage looks far the better side with the Hooligans forward line a real concern. There are far too many iffy players in that forward line compared to the powerful forward line the Cate has assembled.

Nick Nat and Pav have both been named so that all but ends the Hooligan challenge unless he has a few Jokers up his sleeve to get rid of Cloke and bring in a gun forward. I can't see the big move happening though this late in the year and I reckon RustyCage wins the Divvy VI premiership.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:DIVISION II GRAND FINAL

Delicious

DEF: McVEIGH SWALLOW SIMPSON HANLEY B SMITH JAENSCH BEWS
MID: PENDLEBURY SELWOOD ROCKLIFF LIBERATORE KENNEDY BEAMS GODDARD BARLOW HARTUNG
RUCK: SANDILANDS MINSON THURLOW
FWD: GRAY PARKER DANGERFIELD ZORKO D MARTIN S MARTIN BREUST

eddieslittleindians

If I was Valleys this would be how I would set up my Ruck/Fwd division as he attempts to perform the impossible against eddieslittleindians this weekend. It would be Stef onfield in preference to Bruest and hope like hell Big Will plays. If Delicious has any trades then clearly they should be applied in the midfield. JPK returns for Valleys this week but Beams is out and Barlow is unlikely. If Valleys has no trade then he has no premiership.

It's been a mighty effort to get this far for Delicious but the indians are the genuine article. eddieslittleindians in a canter.

No trades left REB. I used the last trade to ensure promotion.

I said in the Round 22 thread that the only thing both MC and I were playing for, was to get promoted. I'm happy to go up to Div I and qualify for champions and possibly elite- it can be considered a pretty good SC season. As for my GF hopes- there will be no Steven Bradbury in this Div- i've climbed my mountain. Eddies will belt the suitcase out of me.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Next

Board index   Football  AFL  Fantasy/Tipping Footy