Double header at Adelaide oval

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Double header at Adelaide oval

Postby o five » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 pm

With the SANFL bending over for the AFL nowadays, I can see a double header happening but it would be more likely a Crows Res v Power Res then Crows V Power as the main game.
I do like the ideas of some on here, but realistically I reckon the true SANFL supporter is going to miss out again. :(
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Booney wrote:Yep, the SANFL do need to do more.

But again, 6 of the 8 clubs voted this in with either the information given to them or the pressure put on them, or a bit of both.

A fair bit of this needs to be put back on the clubs, if they didn't think people ( read - Money ) were going to walk out the door with the advent of this system then more fool them.

I'm sure there's so much that could be said about this both for and against, maybe the mods could just delete this post and mine so we can read about SANFL at AO rather than that other trash.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby spell_check » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Jim05 wrote:
spell_check wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I seem to remember in the 80's and 90's there was the 17's, 19's, ressies and League GF all played on the same day

It definitely didn't happen in 1993, the 19s and 17s played at Football Park the day before the Preliminary; other records I have of the 1983 19s GF at Woodville; the 1984 17s GF at Woodville and replay at Unley, also the 2000 19s and 17s were a double header under lights at Norwood.

Fair enough I must mistaken it was so long ago. Could of sworn South won a juniors gf before the Eagles v Norwood league gf in 1993 but my memory of that day is a little hazy

South did win the 19s, but that was the week before. Unless you are thinking of the Reserves match - which since 1962 has always been before the League GF.

whufc wrote:Personally if done in round 1 where every team has high expectations imho it would create a really good atmosphere and kick start to the season much like the finals double headers at AO.

It's gimmicky and it goes against the grain abit but I think the SaNFL needs to do something to help the 8 SANFL clubs otherwise there darling AfL clubs will have to play each other each week

Exactly. I'm certainly more of a traditional type of person, but it doesn't hurt to try something new once in a while, It couldn't do more harm than what is happening now.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby saintal » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Like the idea of double headers on both Saturday and Sunday. The other match for the round could be the interlopers playing in the country.

As a few have already said an AFL-free weekend like the one just gone would be ideal. Far too logical for the SANFL to action it though.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby RB » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 pm

saintal wrote:Like the idea of double headers on both Saturday and Sunday. The other match for the round could be the interlopers playing in the country.

Addis Ababa was my suggestion.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 770 times
Been liked: 1081 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 pm

If Port do actually lose there home games next year, the crows and power reserves could play there "away" games at Adelaide Oval with double headers maybe, crows vs sanfl club and power vs sanfl club, i'd much rather the other suggestions but i wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened or curtain raiser games.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby prowling panther » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Tech1 wrote:If Port do actually lose there home games next year, the crows and power reserves could play there "away" games at Adelaide Oval with double headers maybe, crows vs sanfl club and power vs sanfl club, i'd much rather the other suggestions but i wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened or curtain raiser games.

Question asked.

"Are the AWFL"keen on lead up matches to their own game.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Aerie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Good ideas here. A carnival of football to open the season, gain memberships, sell merchandise etc. Just do it once a year for the novelty factor. Make it an event like at the Cricket. Pit rivals against each other - South/West, Central/Eagles, Glenelg/North, Sturt/Norwood. Crows/Port a country game. Even if making it a 19 Round season and having this round as an extra.

At least it opens the season with a bang and will draw attention to the SANFL. Have incentives for people to purchase a membership from their club.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:40 am

RB wrote:A quadruple header would be stupid. Going to two games is OK, three is a stretch, but no-one would ever watch four games in the one day, so why would they all be scheduled on the one day? Have two on Saturday, two on Sunday, all at Adelaide Oval, and send the interlopers off to play in Addis Ababa or some bloody place.

BP would
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am

Booney wrote:With only 8 teams you would have time to work out a "ladder of integrity", play 1st v 2nd with the winner into the GF, 3rd v 4th with the loser off to get a pie or pasty from the Balfours van while the loser of 1 v 2 and the winner of 3 v 4 playing in the Prelim.

The other 4 teams could sit on the grass, legs folded, watching the action unfold. Maybe some face painting for them to keep them amused.

Play the GF under lights and get the whole season done in one day!

Sounds great and as good as any other idea here!!! :lol:

Or you could just take the piss out of any ideas put forward because you support an afl reserve club in the SANFL and don't give a shit what happens to the league as long as you're alright jack
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 am

No, got it wrong there Johnny. It doesn't matter who I support, I want whats best for the SANFL and I'm on the record as saying this current set up is not only less than ideal but is worrying for the competition.

I will, however, call a shit idea a shit idea when I see it and 4 games in one day at AO is a shit idea.

Apologies to the author of the thread, at least they are thinking about what can be done and not simply jumping to conclusions and shit canning the competition at every opportunity.

Cheers.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7513 times
Been liked: 10808 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 am

Booney wrote:No, got it wrong there Johnny. It doesn't matter who I support, I want whats best for the SANFL and I'm on the record as saying this current set up is not only less than ideal but is worrying for the competition.

I will, however, call a shit idea a shit idea when I see it and 4 games in one day at AO is a shit idea.

Apologies to the author of the thread, at least they are thinking about what can be done and not simply jumping to conclusions and shit canning the competition at every opportunity.

Cheers.

To be fair to the author of the thread, he did suggest only a double header. And agree, it is good to see a positive thread on the SANFL with some ideas.

I agree, hardly any would watch all 4 games, but not many watch a full day of Test Cricket neither.

You might get a few kids along because it is an event and it might be the day they pick an SANFL team to follow. It was probably taken for granted that everyone had an SANFL team they followed along with their AFL team. They need to do some work on this now, so they continue to get the good crowds at Grand Finals in the future.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby SANFLnut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Could be a massive promotional boost for SANFL if they slot it into the AFL week off before the start of the season. Even let Port & Crows sit out for the week and catch up their game later in one of the split rounds. Would get plenty of media coverage, clubs could get a stack of kids along to play mini league games, let each SANFL club sell off a corporate box, entice Adelaide Oval members, sell naming rights sponsorship for the day. On a non-AFL footy week I'd expect an average of 3000 people at each of the four games as a bare minimum, get a few thousand more because of Adeaide oval, a few thousand from media/promotion etc. and you could easily get 20k through the gates. That would generate more members for clubs, positive media coverage and a great advertisement for potential sponsors.

Would be great to see SANFL comp get something out of Adelaide Oval like this.

Do something!!
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Could be a massive promotional boost for SANFL if they slot it into the AFL week off before the start of the season. Even let Port & Crows sit out for the week and catch up their game later in one of the split rounds. Would get plenty of media coverage, clubs could get a stack of kids along to play mini league games, let each SANFL club sell off a corporate box, entice Adelaide Oval members, sell naming rights sponsorship for the day. On a non-AFL footy week I'd expect an average of 3000 people at each of the four games as a bare minimum, get a few thousand more because of Adeaide oval, a few thousand from media/promotion etc. and you could easily get 20k through the gates. That would generate more members for clubs, positive media coverage and a great advertisement for potential sponsors.

Would be great to see SANFL comp get something out of Adelaide Oval like this.

Do something!!

And worse case it flops and you don't trial if again but lose stuff all because barely anyone is going to the games anyone, but you might find a gem of a promotion

You would promote it as a carnival of football, encourage people to come along, set up a BBQ outside the ground and make a day of it.

Obviously run mini league at half time of each game as well with schools from the corresponding clubs area, really tap into that 'local' theme
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5604 times
Been liked: 2537 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby PhilH » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 pm

If it is an AFL free weekend ... would you run
- Doubleheader Saturday & Doubleheader Sunday
- Or 4 games in one day through the Saturday?
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 pm

PhilH wrote:If it is an AFL free weekend ... would you run

I think either option would create real good interest. To try and avoid country and ammo football the option could be to run all four on a Sunday similar to finals. If it was done in round 1 I'm not sure what footy has already commenced.

I really do prefer it as a season opener to really try and capture that season beginning hype each team has and give yourself the best chance for decent weather

My preference would be all games one day and have that one massive day but can definatly see why people could suggest 4 games is to much and two either day could work as well

If I was to do 2 days I would try and keep entrance fees as minimal as possible to try and attract people to attend both days etc etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5604 times
Been liked: 2537 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 pm

PhilH wrote:If it is an AFL free weekend ... would you run

2 x doubleheader, with a single admission valid for both days.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby prowling panther » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 am

I prefer a double header each day

1st game to start at 3.00pm, 2nd game to start at 6.00pm we are still in daylight savings

If the right teams were matched up evenly rather than a top team against a bottom team from the previous year, fair priced ticket of say $20 for 2 days or $14 for 1 day, this would generate plenty of interest and really good crowds to kick the season off, clubs would have to benefit $$ wise through Memberships and merchandise, only down side for the clubs would be the losses from the catering then again, some thing could be worked out, as AO would only sit vacant that day so rather than AO miss out they would still regain their costs and a % of the trading profits for the day.

(Maybe someone should accidentally leave a proposal near JO offic,e for him to peruse, then bring it to the attention of the League Directors with this brilliant Idea he had thought of)
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am

Excellent ideas here, double headers early in the season, preferably an AFL free weekend or on a Sunday when both AFL teams play on the Saturday, prior to Grassroots footy commencing would be such a simple way for the SANFL to promote the product and do something outside the norm.

Early in the season people are hungry for a dose of footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:51 am

can we trust the SANFL to look at these suggestions?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11896 times
Been liked: 3618 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL