The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby cennals05 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:42 pm

A question to Port and Crows fans. If the AFL turned around and said next year Port and Crows are only going to have a salary cap 50% of all the other teams, how would you feel?

I imagine there would be uproar. This forum would explode and so would the FIVEaa phone lines. This is how we feel. We have to go each week and watch 2 teams that are playing on a completely different playing field and we're suppose to accept it and stop whining. Why should we? I hardly think you would be if the shoe was on the other foot.

I could probably go into the AFL forum and get all the posts about how unfair it is that Sydney get COLA, yet some of you refuse to see how unfair the conditions are in the SANFL.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm

I don't think anyone is ( from what I've seen and I certainly haven't ) denying the impact the current set up is having on the competition. I'm under no disillusions as to what is happening and what is likely to change at the end of the year.

I don't need reminding of it every thread. As Admin, moderators and posters have noted, if you don't like the thread, stay out of it!

Port v Adelaide SANFL game wrap up....really, if you don't like the current set up and have been happy to be vocal about it there must be some special level of idiocy taking place to enter that thread, agreed?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Case in point...

Booney wrote:Nobody is saying the COLA assures you anything, but a side that can win a GF then recruit (potentially) the two highest paid key forwards in the comp to long term deals seems slightly jilted, does it not?

Yet you don't seem to be complaining about how the Power Reserves are running around with a much larger salary cap then any of the other SANFL teams. That makes the SANFL slightly jilted, does it not?
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby twosheds » Mon May 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Booney wrote:I don't think anyone is ( from what I've seen and I certainly haven't ) denying the impact the current set up is having on the competition. I'm under no disillusions as to what is happening and what is likely to change at the end of the year.

I don't need reminding of it every thread. As Admin, moderators and posters have noted, if you don't like the thread, stay out of it!

Port v Adelaide SANFL game wrap up....really, if you don't like the current set up and have been happy to be vocal about it there must be some special level of idiocy taking place to enter that thread, agreed?

Yet you come into the "whinge" thread and complain. Priceless !
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 05, 2014 7:27 pm

johntheclaret wrote:In my opinion, SANFL fans bagging each other as to who voted yes or no is a complete waste of time and an unnecessary negative we could all do without.
Dedja ( I've only just sussed out what that means :D ) didn't vote yes or no, no more than anyone else on here voted yes or no. Nor did he or anyone one else have any influence over which way their club presidents voted. And that includes Redleg fans. So sniping at anyone of them / us is a waste of time.
The focus of all true SANFL fans, including true Magpie fans, should be focused at the SANFL Committee. They are the bunch who decided the let the Crows Reserves in and latterly the Power Reserves with different rules and which subsequently buggered up the competition.

P.S. JK that wasn't a dig at you ref Dedja. Just an example
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:08 pm

JK wrote:
sjt wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I posted something on Twitter to the 6 clubs that voted yes saying well done for handing Port Reserves the premiership. Had a reply from an Eagles supporter calling me a sooky lala and no one cares what I think. Then when I said he obviously did because he replied, he said that he studies negative people so that's why he's interested. I doubt that's even true, but I hope he recognises the irony in his first reply.

I am really finding it hard this year to go to the football. It is such an unfair competition. The clubs have made their decision and there is nothing I can do about it. I don't want to be angry and annoyed every time I go to the football or read the results. The only solution is to remove myself from the situation, which means no longer following the SANFL. I just don't know if I'm ready yet, but it's something I see happening in the near future.

It would have been easier if centrals had voted yes, then I could've walked away this year.

The SANFL clubs didn't agree to give Port the extra concessions they have - They voted them in on the pre-text of it being on the same model as the Crows. The SANFL themselves altered that playing field.

That said, the fact still remains that if the "Yes" voters hadn't been successful, none of this would be an issue anyway.

This is the part i don't understand, there has been no definitive answer from the league or media about the clubs having a say on the extra concessions, would like to know an answer on this one and what they are looking at doing in the future. The crows have there top up list looked at the half way mark don't they? ports should be the same.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby matt1 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Tech1 wrote:
JK wrote:
sjt wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I posted something on Twitter to the 6 clubs that voted yes saying well done for handing Port Reserves the premiership. Had a reply from an Eagles supporter calling me a sooky lala and no one cares what I think. Then when I said he obviously did because he replied, he said that he studies negative people so that's why he's interested. I doubt that's even true, but I hope he recognises the irony in his first reply.

I am really finding it hard this year to go to the football. It is such an unfair competition. The clubs have made their decision and there is nothing I can do about it. I don't want to be angry and annoyed every time I go to the football or read the results. The only solution is to remove myself from the situation, which means no longer following the SANFL. I just don't know if I'm ready yet, but it's something I see happening in the near future.

It would have been easier if centrals had voted yes, then I could've walked away this year.

The SANFL clubs didn't agree to give Port the extra concessions they have - They voted them in on the pre-text of it being on the same model as the Crows. The SANFL themselves altered that playing field.

That said, the fact still remains that if the "Yes" voters hadn't been successful, none of this would be an issue anyway.

This is the part i don't understand, there has been no definitive answer from the league or media about the clubs having a say on the extra concessions, would like to know an answer on this one and what they are looking at doing in the future. The crows have there top up list looked at the half way mark don't they? ports should be the same.

Think youll find the Clubs voted yes in principle and then let the SANFL with Club CEOs finalise the actual detail. Thats why I was told by Peter Schwarz earlier in the year.
matt1
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby LPH » Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 pm

More passing of the buck?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 pm

cennals05 wrote:A question to Port and Crows fans. If the AFL turned around and said next year Port and Crows are only going to have a salary cap 50% of all the other teams, how would you feel?

The thing you don't realise is that people who follow the AFL don't respect or understand your decision not to barrack for an AFL team and to follow and SANFL club solely. To them you might as well follow the A League for all the impact you have on their thinking about their precious little AFL franchise.

The bigger problem is that it appears that Leigh, John and the rest of the clowns have about as much enthusiasm for the SANFL as most of the AFL numpties on here do.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Booney wrote:I don't need reminding of it every thread. As Admin, moderators and posters have noted, if you don't like the thread, stay out of it!

From the guy who bought up AFL in the SANFL up on the South Eagles thread?

Maybe that was finely honed irony that went above my whingey head. ;)
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby RB » Mon May 05, 2014 10:25 pm

topsywaldron wrote:The bigger problem is that it appears that Leigh, John and the rest of the clowns have about as much enthusiasm for the SANFL as most of the AFL numpties on here do.

This
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 05, 2014 11:10 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
cennals05 wrote:A question to Port and Crows fans. If the AFL turned around and said next year Port and Crows are only going to have a salary cap 50% of all the other teams, how would you feel?

The thing you don't realise is that people who follow the AFL don't respect or understand your decision not to barrack for an AFL team and to follow and SANFL club solely. To them you might as well follow the A League for all the impact you have on their thinking about their precious little AFL franchise.

The bigger problem is that it appears that Leigh, John and the rest of the clowns have about as much enthusiasm for the SANFL as most of the AFL numpties on here do.

no, i think the problem is, that a lot of people here dont realise that there is no escaping the fact that the SANFL cannot be a standalone competition with no influence from the AFL. For the last 40 years they have been impacted, and it hasnt changed now. Of course the reserves teams have an impact on the SANFL. But having an almighty whingefest instead of trying to be constructive about what might be a bad situation for you guys, but is one you are stuck with whether you like it or you dont.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RB » Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Regarding the 'SANFL Showdown' yesterday, the SANFL used to be something footy people could watch that didn't involve the AFL.

There are nine AFL matches every week, with a TV channel 24/7 devoted to the AFL, and pages in the paper everyday on the AFL. Few would argue that there is an AFL saturation.

I've never been completely interested in the AFL, but at least until this season it was discreet enough not to pitch its talons into the SANFL. Until this season.

An attraction for many people to the SANFL was the fact that it wasn't the AFL - it was a point of difference.

The invasion of the AFL into the SANFL thus eliminates the point of difference. As if there wasn't enough AFL on the screen already, you can now sit down, turn on the TV to see the SANFL and end up with the Crows and the Power. Really it beggars belief that it can permeate that far.

It really is amazing how much AFL people want to see, and that they can't realize that some people liked the SANFL because it didn't involve it. It's hard to put into words how baffling it is that the people who are meant to be the custodians of the South Australian game actually thought that it was a good idea to extend the AFL saturation even further and get rid of this point of difference.

I simply can't fathom the joy certain Crows and Power fans have at seeing reserves teams in the SANFL.

Watching part of the match yesterday, I thought, if the 40,000 pieces of silver a year keep the league going, then great, but really, what is the point? What is the point of the SANFL continuing if the match of the round is Crows v Power? Why not just can it and show re-runs of the real Showdown if people love the AFL teams that much.

In brief, if the SANFL is now all about AFL team v AFL team, what is the &%$#ing point?

Vent over. Cheers,

RB.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 05, 2014 11:17 pm

bennymacca wrote:I think the problem is, that a lot of people here dont realise that there is no escaping the fact that the SANFL cannot be a standalone competition with no influence from the AFL.

Yes, there is...

AFL Reserves competition is the answer...

May be a pipe dream for genuine SANFL fans, but it would eliminate any direct AFL influence from the competition...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:33 pm

Personally i don't have a problem them showing the two games when the power and crows reserves teams play each other (give the muppets what they want) but this should be there only televised games imo.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 05, 2014 11:35 pm

RB wrote:Watching part of the match yesterday, I thought, if the 40,000 pieces of silver a year keep the league going, then great, but really, what is the point? What is the point of the SANFL continuing if the match of the round is Crows v Power?

And there you have it.

Great post.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 am

Big Phil wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I think the problem is, that a lot of people here dont realise that there is no escaping the fact that the SANFL cannot be a standalone competition with no influence from the AFL.

Yes, there is...

AFL Reserves competition is the answer...

May be a pipe dream for genuine SANFL fans, but it would eliminate any direct AFL influence from the competition...

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree on that point.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:18 am

bennymacca wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

no, i think the problem is, that a lot of people here dont realise that there is no escaping the fact that the SANFL cannot be a standalone competition with no influence from the AFL. For the last 40 years they have been impacted, and it hasnt changed now. Of course the reserves teams have an impact on the SANFL. But having an almighty whingefest instead of trying to be constructive about what might be a bad situation for you guys, but is one you are stuck with whether you like it or you dont.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, we are stuck with them now, they are here for good. What the league must do though is make the rules hard enough so that these sides can never ever win a SANFL flag. If we are to be stuck with them my only hope is they get beat by 10+ goals every week, this can be achieved with a complete overhaul of the top up system. They need to do away with the leadership position and make all top up players u21 and not to have been on another list at any state league level. Guys like Krakouer, Summerton, Callinan should not be allowed to play. I think this sounds like the model clubs will push for at seasons end, the other option would be the old VFL rule where only a set number of AFL listed players can take the field each week but this would cause issues as if both AFL sides are at full strength then guys would have to sit out for the week.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Tue May 06, 2014 7:46 am

Don't think that changing the agreement is as easy as most people think, the AFL clubs can refuse and prevent any major changes I believe. Any changes also require 12 months notification for the AFL clubs so I wouldn't expect next season to be much different from the current one.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby twosheds » Tue May 06, 2014 8:09 am

Given the title of this thread is it just me who has to laugh at people who come on here and complain about us i.e No AFL in the SANFL having a whinge .
It truly is Pythonesque.
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL