Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Football

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 06, 2014 12:40 am

Jetters wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:I watched my first junior football game in a long time yesterday, and i've got to say the rules they implement are terrible!

The game was awful to watch and the players themselves looked confused, frustrated and disintereted, the parents also appeared very annoyed and frustrated.

No bumping, no tackling, no smothering, no standing the mark, no stripping the ball.. a kid was even penalised for getting in the way of another kid running :shock:

Not to mention awarding a "mark" if the ball slapped the hand or hit them on the chest by accident. I understand flexibility in interpretation and application of the rule, but a player surely still needs to make a legitimate effort at marking, not just be gifted it.

The zones I had no issue with, thought that was a good rule, but the rest, it was awful! What is this teaching kids about the game!? If you dont have the ball you're effectively out of the game.. geez even netball allows a degree of defensive pressure FFS!

Well if you've seen 1 whole game you're probably in a good position to judge.

I would be surprised if you weren't allowed to smother or stand the mark! The others are sensible rules.

In MSJFL we have 9-a-side in the 8s and 9s and its working really really well!

The smother is not allowed as it allows the larger kids to dominate the smaller kids. No man on the mark because it places unnecessary pressure on the child with the ball who should be allowed to have their kick without fear of it being smothered.

The aim is to allow the children to have fun, free of any undue pressure or competition whilst learning the basic skills. They are not little adults.

It's not about what you think or have issues with, this has been determined by multiple academics through many studies into child behavioural science and child psychology.
It is what the children want as they have surveyed numerous children with the following key themes:
* They play football to have fun with their friends
* They do not like losing
* They like to kick goals
* They play for excitement and enjoyment

Smothering and shepherding makes it less fun and enjoyable for the smaller children and does not allow them to use and improve their skills.

Remember that children play sport for their enjoyment, not yours.

The rule changes reinforce the principle of participation for fun and enjoyment.

Somebody shoot me
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 06, 2014 9:43 am

Jetters wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:I watched my first junior football game in a long time

Didn't realise my ability to watch and understand the game was solely reliant on the number of games I have watched :roll:
Having been involved in junior sport for over 10 years, it's not difficult to identify when a kid looks bored or when rules don't appear to be having the result they are intended for.

Jetters wrote:I would be surprised if you weren't allowed to smother or stand the mark! The others are sensible rules.

Guess my 1 whole game helped me understand the rules better than you :roll:
Look Good In Leather wrote:The smother is not allowed as it allows the larger kids to dominate the smaller kids. No man on the mark because it places unnecessary pressure on the child with the ball who should be allowed to have their kick without fear of it being smothered.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:The smother is not allowed as it allows the larger kids to dominate the smaller kids. No man on the mark because it places unnecessary pressure on the child with the ball who should be allowed to have their kick without fear of it being smothered.

The aim is to allow the children to have fun, free of any undue pressure or competition whilst learning the basic skills. They are not little adults.

It's not about what you think or have issues with, this has been determined by multiple academics through many studies into child behavioural science and child psychology.
It is what the children want as they have surveyed numerous children with the following key themes:

Smothering and shepherding makes it less fun and enjoyable for the smaller children and does not allow them to use and improve their skills.

The rule changes reinforce the principle of participation for fun and enjoyment.

Somebody shoot me

How much sport have these academics played? No wonder kids are becoming lazy and dropping out of sport, they get handed everything on a platter, they dont have to work for anything!
Everyone hates losing, but it's part of life and learning and on top the kids know if they win or lose FFS, how does "protecting" them now help them in the future? What happens when they reach the age where they do need to work and earn things? They just going to quit?

Some kids dont have the skills or fitness of others, some kids may only be good at smothering or tackling and it may be the only way they can feel involved. By taking that away from them you are essentially excluding them from the game, therefore taking the excitement/enjoyment out of it which is apparently what these academics are trying to avoid!

A good coach would stop his bigger kids bullying on the smaller ones, move them different positions or teach them about allowing the smaller kids to be apart of the game.

From the game I watched, I would say a 3rd of the players from both sides involved wouldn't have got a kick.. how's that enjoyable?

If these kids just want to have a kick and a catch, then send them to play AUSKICK
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Robb_Stark » Tue May 06, 2014 10:12 am

under 7s to under 9s parents and coaches not all but a fair few need to realise its not about themselves but about the kids
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 am

Robb_Stark wrote:under 7s to under 9s parents and coaches not all but a fair few need to realise its not about themselves but about the kids

What are you basing this on? Not sure what it's like at Pooraka, but Ingle Farm junior coaches are really good with the kids and coach them well.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 06, 2014 10:27 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:under 7s to under 9s parents and coaches not all but a fair few need to realise its not about themselves but about the kids

What are you basing this on? Not sure what it's like at Pooraka, but Ingle Farm junior coaches are really good with the kids and coach them well.

I watched Pooraka's under 8's last season and the kids played to win, it was a fantastic game to watch. We gave them our best player for the last quarter and he kicked 3 goals, it meant that they had scored more than us for the game.
I liked what I seen, I liked the way they were coached, so much so that I almost took my son there instead of his current club, I probably will next season, depending on if I move in the meantime.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 06, 2014 10:29 am

The new rules are a load of frog shit, it confuses the kids and teaches them nothing, it even gives them negatives for life skills IMO. If you want something, go and get it, don't stand in the corner frumped up waiting to be handed life on a platter.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 06, 2014 10:33 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:The new rules are a load of frog shit, it confuses the kids and teaches them nothing, it even gives them negatives for life skills IMO. If you want something, go and get it, don't stand in the corner frumped up waiting to be handed life on a platter.

Exactly!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Jetters » Tue May 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Jetters wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:I watched my first junior football game in a long time

Didn't realise my ability to watch and understand the game was solely reliant on the number of games I have watched :roll:
Having been involved in junior sport for over 10 years, it's not difficult to identify when a kid looks bored or when rules don't appear to be having the result they are intended for.

Jetters wrote:I would be surprised if you weren't allowed to smother or stand the mark! The others are sensible rules.

Guess my 1 whole game helped me understand the rules better than you :roll:

Or we could use a different set of rules....

After re-thinking I like the no smother rule. We don't have this rule, but since moving to 9-a-side rather than 18 the amount of space and therefore the quality of disposal has massively increased and there are less smothers.

I don't understand the no standing the mark, Its not normally an issue for the kids and helps give structure to the game. Also, especially with 9 a side, 3 per zone, it means players are always kicking to a 2 on 3. I didn't see this rule in the AFL guidelines but may just need to look harder.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Jetters » Tue May 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Somebody shoot me

How much sport have these academics played? No wonder kids are becoming lazy and dropping out of sport, they get handed everything on a platter, they dont have to work for anything!
Everyone hates losing, but it's part of life and learning and on top the kids know if they win or lose FFS, how does "protecting" them now help them in the future? What happens when they reach the age where they do need to work and earn things? They just going to quit?

Some kids dont have the skills or fitness of others, some kids may only be good at smothering or tackling and it may be the only way they can feel involved. By taking that away from them you are essentially excluding them from the game, therefore taking the excitement/enjoyment out of it which is apparently what these academics are trying to avoid!

A good coach would stop his bigger kids bullying on the smaller ones, move them different positions or teach them about allowing the smaller kids to be apart of the game.

From the game I watched, I would say a 3rd of the players from both sides involved wouldn't have got a kick.. how's that enjoyable?

If these kids just want to have a kick and a catch, then send them to play AUSKICK

I completely agree with what's bolded, Your sort of opinions don't carry any real weight, by making these sorts of comments you are claiming to know about childhood psychology and development, which I'm sure you don't.

The rules are never going to be perfect and always need tinkering, but they are made by the people in the best position to make them and in the best interests of the kids.

You say send them to Auskick, so you are happy with that style development for 5-6 year olds, but not 7-8 year olds.... What science can you use to justify this claim about childrens psychology, behaviour and physical development??

Also, what are the stats for participation in local footy leagues as you say kids are dropping out?
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 06, 2014 2:51 pm

LOL.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Tue May 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:LOL.

My grandson Master 6 loves to play Uno with me. We play best of 10.......if I'm in front we keep going till he wins. He's a good counter too. Last round ended up 35-34. Game over. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Robb_Stark » Tue May 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Yank Man wrote:

My grandson Master 6 loves to play Uno with me. We play best of 10.......if I'm in front we keep going till he wins. He's a good counter too. Last round ended up 35-34. Game over. :D

me and my nanna play first to 500 loses normally thats only 6-8 games
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

me and my nanna play first to 500 loses normally thats only 6-8 games

My nanna doesn't like me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue May 06, 2014 5:49 pm

The problem with all those studies is that it assumes that people (kids) tell the truth.

Why did you stop playing sport?
- It was too competitive
- Too much pressure about winning
- Just wanted to have fun with my friends

Reflects well on the player filling out the survey, not well on the coach/competition.

Why did you stop playing sport?
- I was hopeless at it
- couldn't get a kick
- made ducks and bowled wides

Reflects poorly on the player filling out the survey. Who'd want to write that, even in an anonymous survey?

So you get these bullshit studies that everything then gets based upon.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby locky801 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 pm

[quote="Tony Clifton"]The problem with all those studies is that it assumes that people (kids) tell the truth.

Reflects poorly on the player filling out the survey. Who'd want to write that, even in an anonymous survey?

/quote]

kids 5 to 10 years old being surveyed, very doubtful, up until the end of 2013 I was involved on a Committee at Junior Football level, we had close to
300 kids registered and i have spoken to a hell of a lot of parents and not one, correct not one knows anything about any surveys done with parents/players re these rule changes.

I'm not saying the changes are bad as i haven't had a look at a game yet this year to compare but talking to a few parents tonight they are not happy and either are the kids.
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Do you play football to have fun?
Do you like losing?
Do you like it when you get lots of kicks?
Do you like kicking goals?
Do you like it when big kids hurt you?

I think I have an idea of how this survey is going to go...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby heater31 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Where does the underage directives come from? From the AFL, they are based in Melbourne and do you really think they are going to waste time and effort asking parents in Adelaide what they think? Probably not!

Also the latest do gooder research about the mental state of kids would be used too.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby locky801 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:16 pm

heater31 wrote:Where does the underage directives come from? From the AFL, they are based in Melbourne and do you really think they are going to waste time and effort asking parents in Adelaide what they think? Probably not!

Also the latest do gooder research about the mental state of kids would be used too.....

Agree Heater but ask those that were at the meeting and it was implied that it also involved parents right across the country.

Unfortunately we all know where the game is heading, soon you wont be able to take a hanger because you have sat on a players shoulders.

Still, i wish they had no-one on marks when i played kids footy, might have kicked the ball more than 2 yards :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 am

i see the under 11s coach at broadview got 3 weeks suspended sentence for abusing a green shirt umpire...<edit- keep your opinions to yourself>
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League