Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Postby Jase » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:22 am

Still fighting calf issues. Starting on some dry needling next week at the physio. Getting old sucks.... :grin:
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby scoob » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:26 am

Gday guys - been awhile due to an enforced holiday, Finished the Barossa Marathon back in May - 3.45, beat my only other marathon by 15 mins which felt good... slowly getting back into the swing of things - hoping for the Yurrebilla next year, something different to the traditional marathon.

Will be popping in asking a few questions of you guys that have done it every now and then... looking forward to upping the training in the new year!
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby MW » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:29 pm

pels wrote:
MW wrote:How's everyones running been going lately? I am in a mini rutt at the moment. I guess with nothing to directly train for the motivation is low. Still getting out 2-3 times a week but not putting in as much effort as usual.

Have had 3 weeks off running, body feels good and mentally feel refreshed.
Have done 3 easy runs of 7km at lunch this week.

Its normal your motivation is a bit low so long your still getting out there and running.

Next goal for me will be 6FT marathon, hardest part about that is getting an entry.

That would be awesome
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby MW » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:31 pm

scoob wrote:Gday guys - been awhile due to an enforced holiday, Finished the Barossa Marathon back in May - 3.45, beat my only other marathon by 15 mins which felt good... slowly getting back into the swing of things - hoping for the Yurrebilla next year, something different to the traditional marathon.

Will be popping in asking a few questions of you guys that have done it every now and then... looking forward to upping the training in the new year!

I plan on running Barossa Marathon and still do Yurrebilla and possibly Heyson 105 (if body/mind/training permits)
MW
Coach

Postby scoob » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 pm

MW wrote:
scoob wrote:Gday guys - been awhile due to an enforced holiday, Finished the Barossa Marathon back in May - 3.45, beat my only other marathon by 15 mins which felt good... slowly getting back into the swing of things - hoping for the Yurrebilla next year, something different to the traditional marathon.

I plan on running Barossa Marathon and still do Yurrebilla and possibly Heyson 105 (if body/mind/training permits)

Nice one - big year ahead for you! I got so much on next year I think I can only commit to one big one.... Barossa was great this year - quite a nice run - hell of a lot cooler than the Gold Coast too!
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby MW » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Yeah not 100% sold on the Heysen 105...in order to run Yurrebilla last year I lost a crap load of weight and almost looked gaunt. Hate to think what I will look like training for that!
MW
Coach

Postby pels » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:56 pm

MW wrote:Yeah not 100% sold on the Heysen 105...in order to run Yurrebilla last year I lost a crap load of weight and almost looked gaunt. Hate to think what I will look like training for that!

Thats one tough event, a lady at work has completed it 2 times.
A lot flatter course compared to Yurrebilla, but sh*t load longer.
Mentally you need to be really tough to finish.
See how the year goes and then decide
pels
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby MW » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:46 pm

How's everyones running going?

I'm still plodding along...not trying to break any land speed records but more maintain at the moment 2-3 runs per week at the 8-12km range. Usually one road and two trail runs.

Key is to keep it up during the Christmas/New Year break when the temptation to have that extra beer of a night might make it hard in the morning.

Also the heat coming up makes it difficult. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with the heat? (except for the obvious hydrate and go during the cooler times of the day)
MW
Coach

Postby pels » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:21 am

I'm into full training mode for the 6ft marathon, have started hitting the trails again.Never forgiving they are

Coping with the heat, I tend to look at the long range forecast and plan my runs ahead.
e.g this week do my running on Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat & Sun and rest days for Wed & Thur (hot days)
If we get a long streak of heat, you have to get out early or late at night 8ish
Try and get going by 7am and if doing a long run you will finished by 10ish before the heat of the day rolls up.

Its not easy over the holiday period but you have to be disciplined and only have a couple and thats it and keep the running up.
Much easier now that I'm older and have a family and don't get out much.
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby MW » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 am

which trails are you running pels?
MW
Coach

Postby pels » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Run along parts off the yurrebilla trail.
Starting at Monacute Rd or another start from the mountain bike park on Mt barker rd
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:38 am

MW wrote:How's everyones running going?

I'm still plodding along...not trying to break any land speed records but more maintain at the moment 2-3 runs per week at the 8-12km range. Usually one road and two trail runs.

Key is to keep it up during the Christmas/New Year break when the temptation to have that extra beer of a night might make it hard in the morning.

Also the heat coming up makes it difficult. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with the heat? (except for the obvious hydrate and go during the cooler times of the day)

Preparing and starting to get excited for my first marathon, Cadbury's in Hobart on Jan 12th. Done two 35-36 runs and hopefully one more this weekend before tapering.

Bit like you, MW, had a bit of an unmotivated time during early spring, only three runs a week and whilst still only doing three runs in total tried to increase my long run, rather than getting a base of at least 4 runs. Knew at the time it was pretty dumb, and think it may have contributed to an Achilles injury that set me back a couple of weeks.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby pels » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
MW wrote:How's everyones running going?

Preparing and starting to get excited for my first marathon, Cadbury's in Hobart on Jan 12th. Done two 35-36 runs and hopefully one more this weekend before tapering.

Bit like you, MW, had a bit of an unmotivated time during early spring, only three runs a week and whilst still only doing three runs in total tried to increase my long run, rather than getting a base of at least 4 runs. Knew at the time it was pretty dumb, and think it may have contributed to an Achilles injury that set me back a couple of weeks.

Good luck & enjoy the run, its you first so don't put too much pressure on yourself for a time. Just enjoy the day
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks pels, a few people have been saying that about the time. Got a bit of a guide, slower than my long-run training, which if I don't achieve I won't be disappointed, but don't want it to blow too far out, ie 10+%
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby pels » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm

How's everyones running going?
The hot weather has made running or training very difficult in January & early February.
Have had to start some of my long runs at 5:30am just to avoid the heat.
The last 2 weeks have been a lot better.
Have been getting plenty of trail runs done in preparation for 6ft this Saturday.
After 6ft will take a break and then get ready for the 10km parklands loop in July and then its Yurrebilla
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby MW » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 pm

I've been struggling with some tendonitis in both right achillies insertion and hip since just before Christmas but I think finally it's getting better. Last few runs have been relatively pain free. I gave myself 2 weeks off running completely late in Feb and did a bit of strength training, calf raises, heel drops etc and also some swimming to keep the cardio up. Seems to have worked touch wood.

I was going to do the Clare half and Adelaide Marathon but re-thinking them now in light of the injuries but definetly doing YUM again!

Which trails do you do pels? I do a lot of Belair National Park, Brownhill Creek and Sturt Gorge
MW
Coach

Postby pels » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:10 am

I normally go along Yuerrebilla starting at Eagle on the hill or at gorge rd, just out and back depending how many Kms I wanna do
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby MW » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm 80% Belair National Park with a lot more Cleland in the lead up to YUM. Also Brownhill Creek up the hill and back down again.
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm

How's the fellow runners going out there?

My interupted year continues...suffered recently with some Capsulitis on the ball of my foot but that's come good finally.

I'm ramping up training for both City Bay and Yurrebilla 56km Ultra.
MW
Coach

Postby Keefy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:24 pm

MW wrote:How's the fellow runners going out there?

My interupted year continues...suffered recently with some Capsulitis on the ball of my foot but that's come good finally.

I'm ramping up training for both City Bay and Yurrebilla 56km Ultra.

Running 3 sessions a week, sometimes 1 of those sessions is stairs
2 x about 6-8km
1 x 14 km, need to increase that one over the next few weeks

Entering the Adelaide half on August 24 and then of course City-Bay which is 4 weeks later
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness