Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Aerie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:31 am

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Rambled a bit but got the point across eventually.

Describing Uni as "a parasite" was a nice touch!

Typical Politician Chest beating for 10 minutes when 5 would have sufficed.......

Could have used the Parasite description for 2 of those 3 clubs involved in this....

Also implies that the West Beach Development was being done by the Cricket Club which it is not. The Adelaide University Sports Association are doing it.

Woodville got cold feet because they thought the statement that SACA would back a Woodville/West Torrens merger was a blank cheque???

You'd have to be either naive or stupid to not see what is happening, and I'm not discounting that you could be both heater.

Adelaide University are building 4 ovals at West Beach, plus training facilities, to use for a junior University cricket set up (and soccer). Whether that be in SACA or another competition, the fact is the pathways would be through to a SACA club. This clearly steps on the toes of West Torrens.

You also have Bernhardt wanting to get rid of metro junior zones.

You have a SACA board wanting to get rid of West Torrens.

It doesn't make sense to merge West Torrens and Port. Where ever you base it, the closest club for the "away" club would be Woodville. Base it at Port and current WT kids would be closer to Woodville or Glenelg. Base it at Henley and Port kids would be closer to Woodville.

You won't get a strong club from a WT/Port merger. It would certainly be weaker than WT currently is.

Woodville have every right not to merge. They are financial and well set up, albeit with a weak junior set up and lack of depth. Their 1st Grade team is the bench mark for the competition over the last decade.

The cornerstone of any potential West Torrens/Woodville merger would be juniors and women at Henley. Two of the strongest sporting high schools in the state are a 5 minute walk away. It is the perfect location. This, plus financial incentives would have been attractive to some from the Woodville club. Stable off-season income via football and a very well set up corporate program by Woodville would have been attractive to people from West Torrens.

Provided members of both clubs were supportive of this, it would certainly lead to a stronger club than what is present.

This is why it was discussed and put on the table. SACA had indicated much higher funding than what was finally put on the table. Wasting everyone's time.

Relatively, West Torrens is a far stronger club than Prospect, University, Adelaide and East Torrens just to name a few. None of these clubs have been put through the ringer like WT, Port and Woodville have.

This process has pissed off a lot of people. There will be consequences.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby marbles » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:44 am

oyster wrote:Paul Caica the Labor MP had a fair old slice of the SACA today in parliament. Asking for a parliamentary enquiry into the SACA and much more
As I said earlier. Don't expect the draw for a 12 team competition to come out any time soon if EVER. Makes for good listening and the way Paul explains it, has everyone stumped how West Torrens or even Port are in the gun. Listen for the Eagles impressive cricket resume in Paul's speech
https://soundcloud.com/user-360756783-4 ... ca-24-3-16

Starting to get a bit hot in the kitchen for the SACA and much more heading their way I'm led to believe

good work caic's

fantastic to see the issue affecting so many current sports people and the so much history simply being disregarded by half a dozen nuffies sitting on a saca board being voiced in state parliament

what looks like to me is Adelaide Uni go to west beach, west torrens get given the boot. uni take on the west torrens region of cricket

and are uni relocating because the adelaide crows want uni's parklands
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:32 pm

In words (or similar) to what many will hear today:

'Forgive them, Father, for the SACA Board do not know what they are doing'

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby mickey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Aerie wrote:
Relatively, West Torrens is a far stronger club than Prospect, University, Adelaide and East Torrens just to name a few. None of these clubs have been put through the ringer like WT, Port and Woodville have.

The targeting of the western suburbs clubs is just the beginning. within the next 3-5 years the clubs you mentioned will also be attacked in a similar way.

These clubs and all district clubs should be sticking together and fighting this as a united front, instead of sitting back with a smirk thinking it wont happen to them. Send a clear message to those who have the power so this kind of debacle cant happen again.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby oyster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:01 pm

mickey wrote:
Aerie wrote:

The targeting of the western suburbs clubs is just the beginning. within the next 3-5 years the clubs you mentioned will also be attacked in a similar way.

These clubs and all district clubs should be sticking together and fighting this as a united front, instead of sitting back with a smirk thinking it wont happen to them. Send a clear message to those who have the power so this kind of debacle cant happen again.

All I can say is that there will be consequences for Bradshaw and his crew on the board. 8 people against possibly 1000 people was never going to end peacefully and two clubs just rolling over because 8 people voted accordingly. Think again Mr Bradshaw and your board.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby marbles » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:00 pm

theyre targeting the western suburbs clubs but yet theyre moving adelaide uni into the western suburbs?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:37 pm

marbles wrote:theyre targeting the western suburbs clubs but yet theyre moving adelaide uni into the western suburbs?

That is what the West Torrens folk seem to think. However, if you ask SACA and Adelaide University they are going nowhere......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:45 pm

mickey wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Spot on mickey

Rather than just whinging, the grade clubs (targeted and non-targeted) need to come up with a solution that strengthens grade cricket, removes the bye and also retains all the grade clubs. Now that we've had a taste of the reaction to mergers hopefully people can see that the negatives outweigh any eventual positives.

Can we have two divisions of eight teams? First division and second division. Add in some fringe country - Gawler, Strathalbyn, Stirling (just to pick examples). State players and emerging redbacks must play in Div 1. Wooden spooners from Div 1 relegated and Premiers from Div 2 promoted each year.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Aerie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:38 pm

To be honest, I think less teams would be better. 10 teams with more funding and smarter programming.

Needs reasoning and transparency to decide which 10 clubs that would be.

The current SACA board incapable of doing this.

Adelaide University seem to be as much of a jumble as the SACA with what is coming out of there. I wouldn't believe anything they say.
Aerie
Coach

Postby mickey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:28 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:m on new Clubrooms/Facilities apparently - have heard this for 10 years, still has not happened. They have worse away changerooms than us!

Kelvin will end up at Bays, Ferg maybe back to Prospect where he started.

Thats if there is a Prospect to go to, have heard today that they have been requesting talks with at least 1 club regarding a merger
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:36 pm

mickey wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:m on new Clubrooms/Facilities apparently - have heard this for 10 years, still has not happened. They have worse away changerooms than us!

Thats if there is a Prospect to go to, have heard today that they have been requesting talks with at least 1 club regarding a merger

They approached us couple of weeks ago, but to be located at Prospect Oval, just not a good fit.

If only they merged with Uni like everyone has said for the last few years, that seems to be the logical merger (besides Wood/WT). Then we would not be going thru all this pain!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby oyster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
mickey wrote:

They approached us couple of weeks ago, but to be located at Prospect Oval, just not a good fit.

If only they merged with Uni like everyone has said for the last few years, that seems to be the logical merger (besides Wood/WT). Then we would not be going thru all this pain!

I might be a dumb oaf from the bush. However am I missing something?

If Prospect want a merger, then why would the SACA have West Torrens in the gun and forcing them to merge with the Swampys?

There has to be a reason...........oh wait University aren't going to West Beach. Like hell they aren't. There has to be a reason and the West Torrens Council and everyone has confirmed that Uni are heading to West Beach. The only ones denying this are the SACA.

With everyone (including Paul Caica and state parliament) except the SACA board being able to see that University are the ones that should go, then why shouldn't Prospect and University merge at Prospect Oval? Easy fit and then two great old clubs get to stay around. I have no doubts that both West Torrens and Port wont merge anyway, but there is a merger just waiting to happen if Prospect are actively seeking a merger.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Although I have heard the rumours re the Adelaide University move to West Beach from many different sources - including from people at University themselves, I am still not sure it is an honest rumour.
The reason I say this is that the talk is of them relocating to the playing fields they own, which appear to be the Hockey Fields on Burbridge Road, west of Tapleys Hill Road. This is consistent with the map that was shown on this thread about ten pages back. A number of those who have mentioned the prospective move as 'fact' have mentioned the involvement of the West Torrens Council. This truly puzzles me: these 'fields' are not within the West Torrens Council area. Rather, they are located within the Charles Sturt Council area. As such, why would the West Torrens Council be involved in this proposed development??

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:05 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:Although I have heard the rumours re the Adelaide University move to West Beach from many different sources - including from people at University themselves, I am still not sure it is an honest rumour.
The reason I say this is that the talk is of them relocating to the playing fields they own, which appear to be the Hockey Fields on Burbridge Road, west of Tapleys Hill Road. This is consistent with the map that was shown on this thread about ten pages back. A number of those who have mentioned the prospective move as 'fact' have mentioned the involvement of the West Torrens Council. This truly puzzles me: these 'fields' are not within the West Torrens Council area. Rather, they are located within the Charles Sturt Council area. As such, why would the West Torrens Council be involved in this proposed development??

Cheers

Because it is in the West Torrens Council area. However is it not Airport land? Then the West Torrens council would have no clue what is going on at the Federal Government deals with that.

Anyway, University have been questioned on their intentions for West Beach at the last Grade Cricket Committee meeting......it has been minuted that they have no near future plans to have any SACA teams located at West Beach. Some bright spark from another club then tried to get a motion passed that no club will have facilities located outside of their zone. That was quickly shot down when it was pointed out that several clubs already have this situation.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:51 pm

heater31 wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:Although I have heard the rumours re the Adelaide University move to West Beach from many different sources - including from people at University themselves, I am still not sure it is an honest rumour.

Cheers

Because it is in the West Torrens Council area. However is it not Airport land? Then the West Torrens council would have no clue what is going on at the Federal Government deals with that.

Anyway, University have been questioned on their intentions for West Beach at the last Grade Cricket Committee meeting......it has been minuted that they have no near future plans to have any SACA teams located at West Beach. Some bright spark from another club then tried to get a motion passed that no club will have facilities located outside of their zone. That was quickly shot down when it was pointed out that several clubs already have this situation.

Sorry, my mistake. I live on Burbridge Road, only about 200 metres west of the Playing Fields and am in the Charles Sturt Council. I therefore assumed that the Playing Fields were also in my council area. However, it appears that they are right on the boundary of the West Torrens Council. I had thought that Tapleys Hill Road formed the border as it is the nearest main road. However, the border goes along minor roads instead. The Playing Fields are DEFINITELY NOT ON AIRPORT LAND though. They come totally under the jurisdiction of the West Torrens Council. As such, the rumour may well have validity. Having heard comments from University Cricket Club people myself, stating that they are moving to West Beach, I now am pretty much convinced the move is on.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:02 am

Prospect merger talks? Don't think so.
Last edited by Tony Clifton on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby marbles » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:44 am

heater31 wrote:
marbles wrote:theyre targeting the western suburbs clubs but yet theyre moving adelaide uni into the western suburbs?

That is what the West Torrens folk seem to think. However, if you ask SACA and Adelaide University they are going nowhere......

If u ask the adelaide crows, adelaide uni can go to aldinga for all they care cos the crows are ganking the parklands and uni are out

so saca are like well uni comes first, then theres the rest, if uni want to go to west beach, im afraid west torrens will have to go

if uni go to the "beach" arent they gonna eliminate all their eastern/northern suburb members cos who the hell out of them will be willing to drive to west beach from the other side of town

this is all the "crows" fault :D
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:37 am

AUCC statement regarding West Beach facility and juniors

Written by Luke Johnston on March 25, 2016. Posted in General

It has come to the attention of the AUCC over the last few weeks that there have been comments in the media about the University’s development of cricket and soccer fields at West Beach and baseless allegations that AUCC are planning to either relocate and/or play junior cricket there.

As was clearly outlined at the last Grade Cricket Committee in answer to questions from WTDCC – the AUCC has no role in the West Beach development. Further, the AUCC has no plans to use those grounds. AUCC expects it might consider approaching the University to use those grounds should its adult sides expand or a ground/s be needed if any current ground is out of action. However, there is absolutely no plan to either relocate from our main ovals at Park 12 and Park 10 and/or establish a junior program at West Beach.

The West Beach development is a hub for a number of University sporting clubs, including Hockey (which has been located there for 30 years), soccer, gliding, mountain and scuba. The AUCC has made no financial contribution to the West Beach facility and nor has it otherwise participated in the planning or implementation. The West Beach development was conceived in 2010 having been announced as a priority in the Adelaide University Sport 2010-2020 Facilities Plan.

Adam Kimber

AUCC President
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:02 am

As I said earlier, I wouldn't believe, or know what to believe what is coming out of the Adelaide University at the moment. They are either fobbing this off or their cricket club and sport program are not communicating with each other as there are mixed messages. There is no doubt the West Beach plans have been discussed between the Uni (not necessarily the cricket club) and SACA well in advance of the SACA delivering their ultimatum to the western suburbs clubs. When the truth comes out there will be red faces and hopefully this senate enquiry will get to the bottom of what has gone on.

Regardless of the Uni situation, the process stinks. I would not be discounting anything from what is said in this statement though. It is just another shifty chapter in this whole episode.

Still waiting for the SACA to show some accountability in all of this.

All of this is just not cricket. I am shattered it has come to this. University Oval was my favourite place to play cricket. The oval and surrounds are magnificent and this isn't a baseless attack on them. West Torrens has simply been backed in to the corner and has no choice but to fight for its survival. The accusations are 100% not baseless.
Aerie
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:05 am

FB_IMG_1458938981927.jpg
FB_IMG_1458938981927.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Last edited by Tony Clifton on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps