Chris Ladhams

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Chris Ladhams

Postby JessicaRabbit69 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:40 pm

Read in today's paper he was done for DUI over the weekend.

Are off-field indiscretions becoming a problem in the SANFL?
JessicaRabbit69

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Bluedemon » Mon May 08, 2006 3:49 pm

is seems to be happening quite often, second sanfl player mention in two weeks.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 99 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Jimmy » Tue May 09, 2006 3:13 am

hmm...bad mistake chris :roll:
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby sydney-dog » Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 am

For me Chris has been so disapointing, so much potential and talent but his attitude has let him down and obviously this is a reflection of where he is at
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Chris Ladhams

Postby dash61 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:50 am

In life we all make little mistakes, get off his back and i wish the papers could report on a more representitive story, he will be fined and lose his license and that is enough'

He isnt the first and wont be the last
dash61

Postby JessicaRabbit69 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:02 am

So does that make it OK?

Like it or not, SANFL players have a public profile and are going to be subject to scrutiny in the media if they do something wrong. That's why the Matt Cooper situation was reported in the paper and Squire's off-field problems have been covered too. They haven't singled out Ladhams. He's been treated the same as others.

I've got no time for drink-drivers - Chris Ladhams has got what he deserves.
JessicaRabbit69

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue May 09, 2006 10:14 am

I don't think anyone has been over the top- let's keep it that way.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Get A Life

Postby dash61 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:18 am

What he did is wrong, YES, but he has been or is being dealt by with the law and the club. The lad has made a mistake and luckily nobody was hurt.

Chris has been through a lot at two AFL clubs, we dont know how this effects young men and the pressure they are under in every day life.

FACT
A mate of mine asked Chris in Feb, March to present some trophies at a north eastern school for cricket, he accepted on the spot and without reminding turned up and presented trophies to the primary school children. They the kids thought it was great, i coached Chris and his brother as juniors for three years and they are fine young men.

If it was your husband Rabbit, It wouldnt be reported so because these men are in the public eye they are the villans. Drink driving is a totally stupid act but WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES WE WISH COULD CHANGE, BUT WE CANT, let people get on with their lives and redeem themselves.
dash61

Postby JessicaRabbit69 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:23 am

I didn't say Chris was a villain. But I said he's got what he deserves - including the media coverage of his situation.

He's lucky he was dropped from the Crows list or else it would have been on the back page of the paper, not a few paragraphs on the inside.

If my husband was a SANFL footballer, it would have been reported in the paper, too. By playing sport at that level, you also need to accept the added responsibility of public scrutiny.

I'm sure Chris will learn from his mistake. I'm sure he's also learned he needs to be accountable for his actions.

BTW, how about easing off on the extra-large fonts. There's no need to shout.
JessicaRabbit69

Postby JK » Tue May 09, 2006 11:11 am

JessicaRabbit69 wrote:I didn't say Chris was a villain. But I said he's got what he deserves - including the media coverage of his situation.

He's lucky he was dropped from the Crows list or else it would have been on the back page of the paper, not a few paragraphs on the inside.

If my husband was a SANFL footballer, it would have been reported in the paper, too. By playing sport at that level, you also need to accept the added responsibility of public scrutiny.

I'm sure Chris will learn from his mistake. I'm sure he's also learned he needs to be accountable for his actions.

Given half the SANFL players earn less than they could from playing in that comp than country or SAAFL, and still have full-time jobs, then no, I personally don't believe they should be subject to more scrutiny than the average Joe.

No doubt Ladhams has made a mistake and will receive punishment accordingly and thats enough in my book, leave his private life to himself ... It's a pity the SANFL receives buggerall coverage in the major papers in this state UNTIL such time as something negative occurs!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3017 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Blue Boy » Tue May 09, 2006 11:15 am

Constance_Perm wrote:
JessicaRabbit69 wrote:I didn't say Chris was a villain. But I said he's got what he deserves - including the media coverage of his situation.

Given half the SANFL players earn less than they could from playing in that comp than country or SAAFL, and still have full-time jobs, then no, I personally don't believe they should be subject to more scrutiny than the average Joe.

No doubt Ladhams has made a mistake and will receive punishment accordingly and thats enough in my book, leave his private life to himself ... It's a pity the SANFL receives buggerall coverage in the major papers in this state UNTIL such time as something negative occurs!

Well said CP
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby drebin » Tue May 09, 2006 11:23 am

Here is a copy of the media release from the NAFC website:

James Moore
08/05/2006

Re: Chris Ladhams

As reported in today's Advertiser Chris Ladhams was reported for Driving under the Influence in the early hours of Saturday Morning.

The North Adelaide Football Club is very disappointed in Chris' actions and as a Role Model amongst the community he should have known better.

Chris is also very remorseful for his actions. Chris will now be counselled regarding this matter and through his role at the Club visit schools advising children of the effects of firstly drinking alcohol and secondly driving while under the influence.

The Club will impose its own penalties on Chris, but the nature of those penalties will remain between the Club and Chris.

Neither the Club nor Chris will make any further comment on the matter

James Moore
Football Manager
North Adelaide Football Club

His is an ex AFL player and high profile SANFL player so of course it is going to make the papers all be it a very small bit but he does deserve some flak as per the media release - he is employed by our club in a youth development role.
drebin

Postby JK » Tue May 09, 2006 11:28 am

LOL .. Ironically most people wouldn't be aware of a player's role at his club until something like the Press Release comes about
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3017 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby sus » Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 am

JessicaRabbit69 wrote:But I said he's got what he deserves - including the media coverage of his situation.

I disagree JR. I do not condone drink driving and anyone caught should feel the full brunt of the law. But I do not agree with the print media dragging local footballers names through the mud via adverse press.

I don’t believe its the role of the media to deliver punishment - that’s why we have legislation and law courts. In fact you couldn’t argue that the Advertiser published the article out of some moral duty to add to Ladham’s punishment or because they want to make our community a better place to live. They are only interested in selling papers by sensationalising stories.

If you want to have a go at something irresponsible have a go at the Advertiser who pick and choose what stories they print – inevitably choosing the negative stories and deliberately ignoring all the good ones. The SANFL footballers do a significant amount of great work in the community – we hear about them now and again in the sports pages (taking up space that would be normally reserved for football stories mind you) but not nearly often enough. I could go on and quote recent examples of SANFL footballers being harshly treated in the press and also quote many examples of the good work that is done that gets no or little press – but its not necessary and the evidence is obvious to everyone anyway.

Chris Ladhams and others like him who have made mistakes are not the biggest problem here. It’s the biased, cheap, misrepresentative print media that preys on the general public’s misguided fascination with stories like this. The press would be far better off, and have much more effect on the behaviour of kids through role modelling, by presenting these blokes for the good things they do and the lifestyle they lead (which is far better than the average 20-30 male I would suspect) rather than the mistakes they make.

But of course highlighting the good stuff doesn’t sell papers!
sus
Rookie

Postby Bluedemon » Tue May 09, 2006 12:03 pm

the most dissapointing thing about this is that he got caught at the early hours of saturday morning, the morning after playing the game from the previous night. you would think most players go home after the game, relax, then get up the next morning and meet as a team for there recovery session.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 99 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby JessicaRabbit69 » Tue May 09, 2006 12:18 pm

sus wrote:
JessicaRabbit69 wrote:I don’t believe its the role of the media to deliver punishment - that’s why we have legislation and law courts. In fact you couldn’t argue that the Advertiser published the article out of some moral duty to add to Ladham’s punishment or because they want to make our community a better place to live. They are only interested in selling papers by sensationalising stories.

The Advertiser ran three paragraphs on Ladhams, which basically said when and where the incident occurred and not much else. They didn't pass judgement or give an opinion - just reported the facts. That's hardly sensationalising the story, is it?????

I also don't see how in this instance the media hs delivered punishment, as you put it. The simply reported the facts of the incident. It is a newspaper, after all.

In regards to SANFL players not deserving to be mentioned when they do something wrong - well, they are public figures and role models (as the NAFC media release suggested).

On one hand you want the SANFL to receive more coverage - yet you also want the media to ignore them when something like this happens. You can't have it both ways.
JessicaRabbit69

Postby Jimmy » Tue May 09, 2006 12:25 pm

well, i guess we can keep rehashing the same old shit.....we know its bad and that he is going to be talked about...poor choice, he must learn from it and change his behaviour...not the easiest thing to do but with the right ppl around him he can do it....but he needs to face the full extent of the law. fine loss of licence, comm service etc...

he has made other bad choices in life also so im not surprised by it...

the guy has talent to burn on the footy field...jars needs to give him the ol straighten up to sort him out.

its better for the SANFL that shit like this doesnt happen.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby sus » Tue May 09, 2006 12:32 pm

JessicaRabbit69 wrote:
sus wrote:
JessicaRabbit69 wrote:I don’t believe its the role of the media to deliver punishment - that’s why we have legislation and law courts. In fact you couldn’t argue that the Advertiser published the article out of some moral duty to add to Ladham’s punishment or because they want to make our community a better place to live. They are only interested in selling papers by sensationalising stories.

The Advertiser ran three paragraphs on Ladhams, which basically said when and where the incident occurred and not much else. They didn't pass judgement or give an opinion - just reported the facts. That's hardly sensationalising the story, is it?????

I also don't see how in this instance the media hs delivered punishment, as you put it. The simply reported the facts of the incident. It is a newspaper, after all.

In regards to SANFL players not deserving to be mentioned when they do something wrong - well, they are public figures and role models (as the NAFC media release suggested).

On one hand you want the SANFL to receive more coverage - yet you also want the media to ignore them when something like this happens. You can't have it both ways.

Did they just publish the facts in the same way on any other recent DUI offences of non-footballers? Its sensationalisation by stealth!

Ask Ladhams whether he considers his name being published in this way as extra punishment.

If the players are public figures and roles models why doesnt the paper publish a small article about every good event or incident of communtiy service - wouldnt that have a better effect on the kids/people they supposedly are role models to -set a real example? Of course they wont becaase it doesnt sell papers.

Id like the SANFL to receive more coverage of football. Personally I dont give a rats razoo which players transgress the law for what, I don’t care about their sex life, I don’t care what clothes they wear, etc, etc. Im interested in the clubs, their football and all the community positives – that’s what I want to hear more about. What about you JR?
sus
Rookie

Postby doggies4eva » Tue May 09, 2006 12:33 pm

kookas wrote:the most dissapointing thing about this is that he got caught at the early hours of saturday morning, the morning after playing the game from the previous night. you would think most players go home after the game, relax, then get up the next morning and meet as a team for there recovery session.

Really? In my experience the night after the game is the one where a player will let his hair down. Pity he hasn't heard of taxis.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby JessicaRabbit69 » Tue May 09, 2006 12:36 pm

sus wrote:Did they just publish the facts in the same way on any other recent DUI offences of non-footballers?
No, but they reported it in a similar fashion to when other public figures have committed an offence

sus wrote:Im interested in the clubs, their football and all the community positives – that’s what I want to hear more about. What about you JR?

I'm interested in hearing what goes on in the world - good, bad and otherwise.

For what it's worth, I don't know of a single newspaper/television station in the world (other than the Christian channels) that reports purely on positive community stories.
JessicaRabbit69

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL