Tips for a newbie please!

Anything!

Tips for a newbie please!

Postby THEPOMFROMBRISTOL » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:05 am

As a relative newie to the game (esp. playing), I was wondering if anyone out there could help:

I missed 75% of last year due to rupturing the tendons in my left middle finger (dominant hand) when taking a mark. Now admittedly, the injury wasn't that bad but I componded the problem due to playing on for 3/4 weeks.

So I come back to pre-season training this year pumped and ready for action. All is well. However, in the 3rd training session, I shatter :eek: the middle (PIP) joint in exactly the same finger, again trying to take a mark.

Guys at work reckon it will be at least 8 weeks before I can play footy again, and they think I should pack in the game, as (being a potential future physio), I cant risk any further hand damage.

However, I think thats crap because 1) no-one at work understands what Australian Football is, and 2) I also love playing the game (even if I am the worst player of all time)

Basically, I reckon there must be an fundamental flaw in my catching technique, probably down to a combination of only playing soccer as a kid, and general athletic crapness. :)

I've seen some catching aids on t'internet, but before shelling out some cash I was wondering if:

1) Any uses a catching aid, and if so - are they any good.
2) Any insights into how footy players are taught to catch
3) Has anyone else suffered a similair injury and how long did it take to recover

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really appreciate any help!

(Put this on Big Footy, but thought I'd get a SA view on thingsas well)
Cider I up Landlord!
THEPOMFROMBRISTOL
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Tips for a newbie please!

Postby Pseudo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:39 pm

THEPOMFROMBRISTOL wrote:Guys at work reckon it will be at least 8 weeks before I can play footy again, and they think I should pack in the game, as (being a potential future physio), I cant risk any further hand damage.

Not sure that this is an ideal solution, given your chosen profession, but you could follow Brett Backwell's lead and simply have the offending digit amputated... :shock:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1564 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby duncs7 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:49 pm

Toughen those hands up sissy! Strong hands take strong grabs.
Elizabeth Eagles Football Club. Est 1956
Argana Park, Elizabeth. SA
http://www.elizabethfc.net
duncs7
Under 18s

Postby JK » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:22 pm

Bit harsh Dunc's .. I think some people are prone to repetitive injury, especially in fingers and thumbs ... Pommy, get someone at your club to check out your marking method first in case there is an obvious flaw, otherwise I'd suggest just taping the offending digit to one of it's healthy neighbours ... I broke and/or dislocated every finger and thumb during my playing days but the strapping always got me through, and not once has my career as a professional drinker been hindered as a result! :wink:
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MightyEagles » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:40 am

It seems to me that it's way your trying to mark it. It's not like catching a tennis ball or baseball. It would be like catching a soccer ball or simmilar. For a mark with your hands, spread fingers with your thumbs close together (not to close, but not to far apart) and just let it come into your hands. For a chest mark, it's arms out and let sit in your arms.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby Jimmy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:09 pm

try golf ;)
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby THEPOMFROMBRISTOL » Thu May 04, 2006 6:53 am

Thanks for the help fellas!

Physio reckons it will be another 6-8 weeks beofore I can play. After that I have to keep the thing splinted, strapped and gloved just to be safe.

Still. On a positive note, I've just ordered a crate/carton of Coopers Red of t'internet. Should be here for a mates BBQ on Saturday. Get in!
Cider I up Landlord!
THEPOMFROMBRISTOL
Mini-League

Postby Booney » Thu May 04, 2006 8:42 am

SPARKLING ALE ! Not Red..!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7528 times
Been liked: 10836 times

Postby THEPOMFROMBRISTOL » Thu May 04, 2006 9:22 am

Sorry. Sparkling Ale. Sorry.

Whatever you call it, its a blinding beer and (given I havent had some for over a year) Im looking forward to it!

(I'm prepared for the hangover though)
Cider I up Landlord!
THEPOMFROMBRISTOL
Mini-League

Back playing!

Postby THEPOMFROMBRISTOL » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the tips and stuff.

I'm now back playing and kicked a marvellous 0.1 (it was never touched, umpire!!) in my comeback game. Saw a fair bit of the footy, and put in some decent bumps. (I'm 95kg so its my strong pont)

Wasn't supposed to be back for another few weeks, went along to goal ump, and found out we were 2 short, so had to pitch in and help the lads.

My marking's getting better as is the rest of my game. I'm still awful though, but am enyoing having a kick around just the same.

Getting some good coaching from an Aussie who hails from Country SA. He plays for one of the clubs in the Northern Areas league. It might be Broughton-Mundoora, but I can't remember exactly.

Anyway thank again for all the tips, and up the Centrals!
Cider I up Landlord!
THEPOMFROMBRISTOL
Mini-League

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion