Simon McCormick retires

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Simon McCormick retires

Postby wycbloods » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:47 pm

11 September 2008

The West Adelaide Football Club wishes to announce the retirement of Vice-Captain Simon McCormick. Due to the pressures of business and family, McCormick no longer feels he can commit the time required to be an elite SANFL Player. The playing group and coaching staff were informed of his decision last night.

McCormick joined the Club in 2000 but was unfortunately plagued with injuries and returned to the Club to play 39 league games from 2007 winning the Club Best & Fairest Medal in 2007. McCormick said, "Unfortunately I am unable to commit to the time required in playing at the SANFL level due to running a couple of businesses and having a young family. My goal of helping the club advance up the SANFL ladder was unfortunately not achieved which is disappointing however, I am sure with the playing group they have that this will not be too far away. I would like to thank the players, supporters and administrators within the West Adelaide Football Club who have been fantastic to my family and me since we came across at the beginning of last year. I would like to thank my wife, Peta for her support over the two years also."

Coach Andrew Collins said, “Simon as a leader and Vice Captain will be missed greatly on field as he is a very courageous player but due to outside commitments he was not able to commit this year. Simon will be involved in a Community Project with the playing group, so we look forward to his continued involvement in the Club.”

CEO Damien Phillips said, “The West Adelaide Football Club thanks Simon for his service to the Club, both on and off the field where has been a terrific leader during difficult times. Simon, along with his wife Peta and his children have been great supporters of the Club, and with various projects will continue to play a part of the revival of the West Adelaide Football Club. We wish Simon well in his retirement.”

Mr Damien Phillips
Chief Executive Officer

West Adelaide Football Club

It is unfortunate that we have lost another experienced player but I wish Simon all the best in his future endeavours.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Simon McCormick retires

Postby captain dangerous » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Sad to see Simon go, but I dont think this will be the last major announcement. Strong rumor going around that another senior player, the most experienced player at the bloods, is going back to Melbourne. He comes another 20 recruits at West :roll:
captain dangerous
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby heater31 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Sad to see another player leave due to outside pressures but West are going to have to be extremely active over the summer to attract players with experience plus there is still the drafts to go yet :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby nickname » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:23 pm

captain dangerous wrote: He comes another 20 recruits at West :roll:

Well what would you suggest we do?
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby captain dangerous » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:35 pm

[quote][/quote]

How about creating an environment where blokes stay?
captain dangerous
Mini-League

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Double edged sword there mate.

Dont get recruits,continue to present poorly on the field. Not what the club/supporters want.

Do get recruits,continue to improve and win more games. What the club/supporters want,but,if you dont win enough games recruits go home.

Cant win either way mate.Do you think the West Adelaide zone harbours enough talent to get you off the bottom of the ladder?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7543 times
Been liked: 10874 times

Postby dash61 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 pm

captain dangerous wrote:

You cant make wives wanna stay that want to return to Melbourne. Do you expect the player to say see you later and stay put.
dash61

Postby redandblack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:03 pm

captain dangerous wrote:

The environment was good enough for Simon to return to after his first time was cut short.

His retirement was totally due to family and work reasons. The other retired players this year were at the end of their careers, so it's nothing to do with the environment.

You seem to have quite an interest in West, captain.
redandblack

Postby captain dangerous » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:17 pm

I love all footy red and black, but prob taken more of an interest in west the last couple of years since a mate from work now plays there.

By reading this site, it seems like you know a lot more about west than i do. Maybe you can tell us why so many players have left over the last couple of years.
captain dangerous
Mini-League

Postby Thiele » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 pm

Well done Simon on a good couple of years at West Adelaide :)
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 81 times

Postby redandblack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 pm

captain dangerous wrote:I love all footy red and black, but prob taken more of an interest in west the last couple of years since a mate from work now plays there.

By reading this site, it seems like you know a lot more about west than i do. Maybe you can tell us why so many players have left over the last couple of years.

They've all left for different reasons, but given our record over the last few years and the fact that most of the retired players were at the natural end of their careers, I don't think it's an 'environment' issue at all. Our better players have been happy to re-sign (Ferguson, Cupido and others) and this year's recruits have generally been very promising for us.

Perhaps those criticising West would like to name the players who have retired who they think will take us forward if they had played on next year and also name the players who might have left because of the 'environment'.
redandblack

Postby dash61 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:53 pm

redandblack wrote:
captain dangerous wrote:I love all footy red and black, but prob taken more of an interest in west the last couple of years since a mate from work now plays there.

They've all left for different reasons, but given our record over the last few years and the fact that most of the retired players were at the natural end of their careers, I don't think it's an 'environment' issue at all. Our better players have been happy to re-sign (Ferguson, Cupido and others) and this year's recruits have generally been very promising for us.

Perhaps those criticising West would like to name the players who have retired who they think will take us forward if they had played on next year and also name the players who might have left because of the 'environment'.

Most red have been very good servants and ambassadors of the West Adelaide football Club, But are past playing their best football and are also using upvaluable salary cap space and preventing a kid from getting a chance, evidence of that is what club has the most kids drafted this year
dash61

Postby nickname » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Outs from 2007:
D. Galea (Not required)
J. Smith (Not required)
M.Hooper (Not required)
J.Barling (unsure, but a loss)
Jeremy Jaques (retired, not really cutting it)
M. Cragg-Sapsford (retired due to injury)
L.Mensforth, H. Commane, J. Wood, A. Bayliss, S. McDonald, M.Lutze, R. Mallard (not getting a regular game and with good reason)

Outs from 2008 so far:
M. Dragicevic, P.Walsh, B. Hollands (physically spent)
L.Gathercole (retired due to injury)
M.Hamblin, L.Donaldson (getting on and not getting a regular game)
S. McCormick (age, body, business)

So, got any other suggestions?
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby oldfella » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Good work - I had forgot some of those names.

Some of those gone in 2007 had to do more with attitude (on/off field) than ability -- others were not good enough.
L.Mensforth --- education (uni).
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby redandblack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:21 pm

nickname, this habit of yours of providing facts just won't do.

It's most disconcerting to those who just want to constantly repeat their prejudices and observations, free of such tiresome detail.

Please desist.
redandblack

Postby bundy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:34 am

10/10 Red and Black.Love your work. :D :D
bundy
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:50 am

nickname wrote:[Jeremy Jaques (retired, not really cutting it)
L.Mensforth, H. Commane, J. Wood, A. Bayliss, S. McDonald, M.Lutze, R. Mallard (not getting a regular game and with good reason)

Serious question, R&B and Nickname - who of those blokes listed above (I haven't quoted the ones who have retired or are physically spent) could have been persevered with? I am interested in their ages. If they were 25 I can understand but if they were only 21 and 22 did they need more time and could have come good?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1845 times

Postby wycbloods » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:43 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
nickname wrote:[Jeremy Jaques (retired, not really cutting it)

Serious question, R&B and Nickname - who of those blokes listed above (I haven't quoted the ones who have retired or are physically spent) could have been persevered with? I am interested in their ages. If they were 25 I can understand but if they were only 21 and 22 did they need more time and could have come good?

I am no R&B or Nickname but these are my thoughts :wink: . S.McDonald is the only one that i was disappointed to see leave as he was about 20 and showed some promise but may have been a little small. Commane was not up to it, Wood, Bayliss, Lutze and Mallard are the same simply not good enough to play good league footy and the $$$$ of amateur clubs would've been more enticing. Mallard went to North and played in their two's as far as i know. The rest of them would've been around that 23 years of age and hadn't made it so i think that is long enough in the system 1980TM.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

wycbloods
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:00 am

Happy to read your perspective too wycbloods given your involvement at Westies
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1845 times

Postby wycbloods » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:23 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Happy to read your perspective too wycbloods given your involvement at Westies

What involvement is that TM :wink: .

CoverKing said what?

wycbloods
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL