AFL stunned as player admits he's expecting a tough contest

Talk on the national game

AFL stunned as player admits he's expecting a tough contest

Postby The P.I.M » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 am

THE AFL was a football world in turmoil today after a series of explosive revelations from Melbourne's Matthew Bate.

Speaking ahead of this weekend's Queen's Birthday clash against Collingwood, Bate stopped reporters in their tracks at a press conference when he admitted he was expecting the Pies to present a tough challenge on Monday.

He further stunned reporters by saying he believed that recent injuries to David Neitz and Russell Robertson would "open the door' for some younger Melbourne players and give them a chance to show if they were good enough to make it at senior level.

Under sometimes fierce questioning, he also reluctantly conceded that it was "always good" to play in big games at the MCG against big opponents such as Collingwood.

And he revealed that, despite Melbourne's horror start to the season, morale amongst the boys was really good, and that they were working hard and committed to turning their year around.

Bate's revelations left seasoned media campaigners stunned.

"I've never seen or heard anything like it," said Herald Sun footy writer Mike Robinson-Barrett. "Footy players these days are media-trained within an inch of their lives, so I thought I'd never again see the day when a player would so openly speak his mind.

"It was a throwback to the 60s and 70s. He just came right out with it – we had no idea he was going to drop such bombshells.

"Honestly, you could have heard a pin drop when he said that stuff about everybody being supportive of the coach but just needing a bit more time to adjust to the new game plan. We simply didn't know what to make of it.

"The hardest part from the media's point of view was deciding what to lead with – there was simply so much good material to choose from. In the end I opted to go with the stuff about how the introduction of some younger players this season had revitalised the playing group and given the older players a real lift.

"If only every press conference was like this it would make our jobs much easier," Robinson-Barrett said.
The P.I.M
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: AFL stunned as player admits he's expecting a tough contest

Postby evans01 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:58 am

not quite sure wot all the fuss is about???

i admit i didnt see the press conference but reading this article it seems a storm in a tea cup..... :roll: :roll:
Lee Marvin, Wanderin Star, "Home is made for coming from, for dreams of going to"
evans01
Under 16s

Postby The P.I.M » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 am

evans01 wrote:not quite sure wot all the fuss is about???

i admit i didnt see the press conference but reading this article it seems a storm in a tea cup..... :roll: :roll:

Its a joker article.. I make up and dramatise media, sporting events and teams for a laugh for others.
The P.I.M
Mini-League

Postby smac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 am

The P.I.M wrote:

Its a joker article.. I make up and dramatise media, sporting events and teams for a laugh for others.

So you work for The Bladder?

http://www.thebladder.com.au/modules/re ... php?id=143
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby The P.I.M » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:22 am

smac wrote:
The P.I.M wrote:

i send scratch articles and ideas to them yes. anyone can. They accept ideas from anyone
The P.I.M
Mini-League

Postby smac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:24 am

The P.I.M wrote:
smac wrote:
The P.I.M wrote:

i send scratch articles and ideas to them yes. anyone can. They accept ideas from anyone

Regardless of whether you even wrote this article, once the bladder have published it they own the copyright to it.
smac
Coach

Postby Hondo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:35 am

It needs a wink or something because it looks like a proper news story - you need to read it twice to get that it's someone taking the p!ss.

It's clever but dressed up like that it's almost too clever - I agree with SMAC, quote the source up front and then we can choose whether or not we feel like reading it.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby evans01 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:54 am

Bl**DY silly if you ask me!!!....

but then again i fell for it..... :wink: :wink:
Lee Marvin, Wanderin Star, "Home is made for coming from, for dreams of going to"
evans01
Under 16s

Postby Swooper16 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:10 pm

Think you make a very good point tho and that is why do sports reports, news articles etc even bother with quoting players in press conferences. its all just cliche's, talking down thir own teams chances and talking up the opposition.

Thats why i dont mind Aker. Even if you dont agree with him at least he puts his neck out there and speaks his mind. The person who i cant stand to listen to is Neil Craig. Every week whether its a win or a loss its just another "learning process that the playing group are undertaking"
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:27 pm

The P.I.M wrote:Its a joker article.. I make up and dramatise media, sporting events and teams for a laugh for others.

http://www.thebladder.com.au/modules/re ... php?id=143[/quote]
i send scratch articles and ideas to them yes. anyone can. They accept ideas from anyone[/quote]

Been there done that. :wink: Let me know how you are going after you've posted about 130.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1729 times
Been liked: 1837 times

Postby evans01 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
The P.I.M wrote:Its a joker article.. I make up and dramatise media, sporting events and teams for a laugh for others.

i send scratch articles and ideas to them yes. anyone can. They accept ideas from anyone[/quote]

Been there done that. :wink: Let me know how you are going after you've posted about 130.

regards,

REB[/quote]

And the Gold Logie goes to REB!!!!............ :wink: :wink: :wink:
evans01
Under 16s

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:09 pm

...And the green loogie goes to Burger King..

HOOOIK!! PATOOEE

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1729 times
Been liked: 1837 times

Postby evans01 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Love ya Work REBSTER, Love ya Work....

:wink: :wink:
evans01
Under 16s

Postby Stumps » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:42 pm

hondo71 wrote:It needs a wink or something because it looks like a proper news story - you need to read it twice to get that it's someone taking the p!ss.

It's clever but dressed up like that it's almost too clever - I agree with SMAC, quote the source up front and then we can choose whether or not we feel like reading it.

your kidding- i was pissing myself just reading the title. Good work PIM
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby smac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Yes, well done copying and pasting someone elses story. I heard a rumour today that he can colour inside the lines too. :roll:
smac
Coach

Postby Broadie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:12 am

Swooper16 wrote:The person who i cant stand to listen to is Neil Craig. Every week whether its a win or a loss its just another "learning process that the playing group are undertaking"

Ditto. It's not just me, then, I'm glad someone else has picked up on that.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Broadie

Grassroots Team: Plympton

Board index   Football  AFL