Gather Round - Round 4 2024

Talk on the national game

Re: Gather Round - Round 4 2024

Postby beef » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 am

MW wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Don't blame the goal umps, blame the system.

Not so much the system, but the instruction from the AFL.
You know after last years debacle they would have instructed the goal umpires to review everything they feel is a close decision.
That said, I cannot believe the one above got reviewed.

i would say hes less than 20cm away from that footy, play that at full speed from the goal umpires view and its not as easy or straight forward as the still picture shows. Having said that i hate reveiws and the umpire should just make a call. If its right, great, if its wrong so is another 50 decisions on the day and we dont review them
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:53 am

Quite simple, use the technology = don't lose your job, I don't blame them at all.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2327 times
Been liked: 3517 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:54 am

Dutchy wrote:Quite simple, use the technology = don't lose your job, I don't blame them at all.

Every goal is reviewed on the way back to the middle anyway.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4008 times

Postby dedja » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 am

Great last few days for all involved, well done.

Pity the AFL is hellbent on destroying the game we once loved. Far be it from me to backup umpires, but they’ve been made to look stupid by the directive of the AFL to review anything that moves. It’s bordering on unwatchable for me.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 997 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:39 pm

dedja wrote:Great last few days for all involved, well done.

Pity the AFL is hellbent on destroying the game we once loved. Far be it from me to backup umpires, but they’ve been made to look stupid by the directive of the AFL to review anything that moves. It’s bordering on unwatchable for me.

Yet we still got the howler in the Freo/Carlton game.

The sooner professional sports gets back to accepting an umpires decision for good or for bad the better sports will be to watch. Tennis where it is 100% IN/OUT is one of the few sports where technology works.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:47 pm

whufc wrote:

The sooner professional sports gets back to accepting an umpires decision for good or for bad the better sports will be to watch. Tennis where it is 100% IN/OUT is one of the few sports where technology works.

Which howler?
There was no goal review missed that I saw
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:36 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

Which howler?

Thats the point, that decision should of been a point and despite all the systems in place they couldn't get that one right. We see the same in other sports with technology umpires where incidents that should be reviewed get missed for one reason or another.
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:34 pm

whufc wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

Which howler?

Thats the point, that decision should of been a point and despite all the systems in place they couldn't get that one right. We see the same in other sports with technology umpires where incidents that should be reviewed get missed for one reason or another.

I’m lost.
Which goal should have been a point?

Or we talking the ‘touched’ mark that was paid and resulted in a goal?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:51 pm

Yeah sorry touched mark....

Same deal though....if that was shot on goal we could have checked whether it was touched but because it's in play it can't be check. The EPL has so many inconsistency where certain things can be checked others cant. So you still get howlers that cost teams goals/games etc just different howlers each time.
whufc
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:10 pm

Captains get one decision to review per half.
But only if it's a direct stoppage.
So I get my head ripped off but the call is play on so you can't review that.
But one like Aish's is a perfect example.
Umps somehow missed it but the players knew.
You'd only review the howlers that get through and a score is recorded.

I've noticed over the weekend that the holding the ball rule has gone out the window.
Run down tackles, player just drops it umps call play on!
Players getting tackled and just absorbing it but making no attempt to get rid of it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 502 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:26 am

tigerpie wrote:Captains get one decision to review per half.

I've noticed over the weekend that the holding the ball rule has gone out the window.
Players getting tackled and just absorbing it but making no attempt to get rid of it.

How far back to go go? what if there was a 20 possession chain leading up to the goal?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2327 times
Been liked: 3517 times

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:30 am

Dutchy wrote:

How far back to go go? what if there was a 20 possession chain leading up to the goal?

This is why we just need to accept umpire decisions. Just watch a weekend of EPL to see how technology can be an absolute mess with rules such as it being in the lead up to play being reviewed but other things not. Certain aspects of the game can be reviewed but others cant ect.

I think it would go along way to building relationship with umpires if we removed technology and learnt to accept decisions.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:30 am

Dutchy wrote:

This is why we just need to accept umpire decisions. Just watch a weekend of EPL to see how technology can be an absolute mess with rules such as it being in the lead up to play being reviewed but other things not. Certain aspects of the game can be reviewed but others cant ect.

I think it would go along way to building relationship with umpires if we removed technology and learnt to accept decisions.
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:14 pm

The only replay they need to look at is the immediate, instinctive reaction of the player. They now straight away if it's been touched off the boot, or if it's just missed or hit the post or perhaps come off above the knee etc etc

And agree with whufc. It's a joke a goal can be reviewed for being touched, but if it was marked in the goal square and a certain goal it wouldn't be. That's not just a unique quirk situation thrown up by the technology which couldn't have been foreseen.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:22 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:

The only replay they need to look at is the immediate, instinctive reaction of the player. They now straight away if it's been touched off the boot, or if it's just missed or hit the post or perhaps come off above the knee etc etc

And agree with whufc. It's a joke a goal can be reviewed for being touched, but if it was marked in the goal square and a certain goal it wouldn't be. That's not just a unique quirk situation thrown up by the technology which couldn't have been foreseen.

All well and good but unless they're going to use high speed cameras and some assisted technology then most of the time the footage is useless. The only time the footage can be decisive is when the result is obvious and a review should never have been called in the first place.

It's a much different situation to try to use technology in the field of play in footy rather than a static situation on the goal line in soccer for example.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 997 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:04 pm

Simple solution, get rid of all replays.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 502 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:31 pm

dedja wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

All well and good but unless they're going to use high speed cameras and some assisted technology then most of the time the footage is useless. The only time the footage can be decisive is when the result is obvious and a review should never have been called in the first place.

It's a much different situation to try to use technology in the field of play in footy rather than a static situation on the goal line in soccer for example.

I was agreeing with you!!
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL