Tasmania Devils

Talk on the national game

Tasmania Devils

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:12 am

whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:Good point

What I was trying to say, not very well, is that opponents of the stadium can say that when given an opportunity to join up and back in Devil specifically (two weeks out from election) half the state didn’t back it directly.

It’s going to be an interesting 6-12 months in Tassie footy

Like others have said I just can't see the team not going ahead. I think the Tassie government are somewhat calling the AFL's bluff.

The AFL will end up either paying some contribution to the stadium or the Tassie Devils will play 50/50 home games at Hobart/Launceston.............if the new stadium doesn't go ahead.
I think it’s the other way round. I don’t think the AFL really want Tassie in and hence made conditions tight for entry.
I think they will be happy if it doesn’t go ahead as they can just throw the Tassie government under a bus and move on
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Tasmania Devils

Postby dedja » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:41 am

The AFL are tightarses, who a good at claiming credit for stadium builds/major upgrades by throwing in a few bottle tops to pay for them, so I doubt that they will be be the saviour here if the Tas govt bails out.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:45 am

I’m with Jim

AFL are going to say no way to any team without a stadium so it can generate the necessary corporate support.

They will pressed to support the new stadium with $$$ and they will say we didn’t support builds/rebuilds in WA or SA so this is on you Tassie.

Then it becomes a political issue for Tasmania to sort out in a hung parliament with underlying issues in the Health sector,
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Trader » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:32 am

am Bays wrote:Less than 50% of the Tassie population took up the membership option.

am Bays wrote:What I was trying to say, not very well, is that opponents of the stadium can say that when given an opportunity to join up and back in Devil specifically (two weeks out from election) half the state didn’t back it directly.

Since when does something need 50% of the state to use it to gain government funding?

According to the ABS, 13% of people visit hospital in a given year. Sorry, no more funding for you guys.
Pot hole in your side street? Sorry, bugger all people drive on that road, learn to drive around it.
Womad only got 8% of the state to attend, and many of them are double and triple counted over the weekend, no more support for you.
Adelaide Arts Festival in total got less than a third of the state to attend, no more funding for that.
Less than 1% of the state used the MFS last year, close that down.

Lets be real, government fund a range of things, very few of which are used by over half the population.
Expecting half the state to sign up as members to allow funding for the stadium is unrealistic.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:05 pm

Trader wrote:
am Bays wrote:Less than 50% of the Tassie population took up the membership option.

am Bays wrote:What I was trying to say, not very well, is that opponents of the stadium can say that when given an opportunity to join up and back in Devil specifically (two weeks out from election) half the state didn’t back it directly.

Since when does something need 50% of the state to use it to gain government funding?

According to the ABS, 13% of people visit hospital in a given year. Sorry, no more funding for you guys.
Pot hole in your side street? Sorry, bugger all people drive on that road, learn to drive around it.
Womad only got 8% of the state to attend, and many of them are double and triple counted over the weekend, no more support for you.
Adelaide Arts Festival in total got less than a third of the state to attend, no more funding for that.
Less than 1% of the state used the MFS last year, close that down.

Lets be real, government fund a range of things, very few of which are used by over half the population.
Expecting half the state to sign up as members to allow funding for the stadium is unrealistic.

I get all that. just making the point about opponents of the stadium using that as part of their argument against the stadium. Wasnt prosecuting the validity of that argument.

I note the ABC report today on the JLN "freshers" they broadly support the notion of a Tasmanian AFL team
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:11 pm

theres an AFL Record being published for the Devs
76 pages and $20
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11855 times
Been liked: 3602 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL