AFL 2024

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2024

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:53 pm

Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:In fairness it's pretty hard to pull out once you have momentum.

You can still attempt to mark/spoil - he didn’t.

True he could stick his knee up and destroy Cunninghams ribs

Probably should have fended off with his left arm and punched with the right

Jumping was his downfall
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:56 pm

Just to be clear to all those minus Dedja I have no opinion on the 2 metre Peter incident.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:02 pm

Spargo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I’m not sure what else he could do? Is he expected to pull out of the contest at the last moment?

Eyes were on the ball the whole time. Cunningham contributed just as much as him IMO

His eyes were not on the ball the whole time. Don’t take your eyes off the ball, don’t turn to brace, go for the mark the whole time. Get to the contest first. No attempt to mark or spoil.
I’m staggered people don’t get this.

The suggestion Cunningham contributed to is perplexing, to say the least. Seen several takes like that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:08 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I’m not sure what else he could do? Is he expected to pull out of the contest at the last moment?

Eyes were on the ball the whole time. Cunningham contributed just as much as him IMO

His eyes were not on the ball the whole time. Don’t take your eyes off the ball, don’t turn to brace, go for the mark the whole time. Get to the contest first. No attempt to mark or spoil.

The suggestion Cunningham contributed to is perplexing, to say the least. Seen several takes like that.

Do you think Cunningham has a duty of care towards Wright?

Korn - https://youtu.be/6eULSMLA5eE?si=LDU2sRYAFK75j6k5&t=175
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby saintal » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 pm

Not surprised, but disappointed he copped a month for that.

Cunningham...ran back into oncoming traffic. Collisions happen at the speed at which this game is played.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Vamos » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:26 pm

saintal wrote:Not surprised, but disappointed he copped a month for that.

Cunningham...ran back into oncoming traffic. Collisions happen at the speed at which this game is played.

How many did Maynard get?
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:27 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Instead he gave him concussion.
Broken ribs wont come back to haunt him years later…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm

A former Melbourne Football Club doctor has sensationally ­admitted to conducting “off the books” illicit drug tests – ­allegedly authorised by the AFL – to help players evade ­detection on match days.
The doctor-turned-whistleblower says players who confessed to having taken drugs in the days before AFL games were given secret tests to ensure their systems were clear or were advised to “fake an ­injury” so they would not risk being tested and suspended for breaches of the World Anti-Doping Agency code.

Federal MP Andrew Wilkie told parliament on Tuesday night he had received a signed statement from former ­Demons head doctor Zeeshan Arain in which he accused the AFL of facilitating the clandestine drug tests at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg.

Mr Wilkie called on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to intervene in the scandal.

In a stunning address, Mr Wilkie said: “I rise to bring the house’s attention to deeply troubling allegations of egregious misconduct within the AFL provided by former Melbourne Football Club president Glen Bartlett, former Melbourne Football Club doctor Zeeshan Arain and Shaun Smith, father of Melbourne player and now alleged drug trafficker Joel Smith.

“The allegations include the prevalence of drug abuse and other prohibited behaviour across the AFL, off the books drug-testing of players at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg, facilitated by the former chief medical officer of the AFL Peter Harcourt, the resting of players testing positive in these secret tests, ostensibly on account of injury, wilful ­inaction by AFL chairman Richard Goyder, and former CEO Gill McLachlan …

“The allegations are credible, detailed and provided in signed statements which have been given to me which clearly identify the sources of the information.

“The allegations are also deeply troubling ... Such appalling behaviour endangers the life, safety and future of players and officials, subverts the official drug testing conducted by Sports Integrity Australia on behalf of the World Anti-Doping Authority and is a fraud on the governments that provide millions of dollars in support to the AFL directly and indirectly through tax-breaks, grants and beneficial capital works, conditional on the AFL being a signatory to and complying with WADA code.

“This is not conjecture, with Dr Arain describing the matter clearly in this signed statement where he states that, and I’ll quote Dr Arain: The off-the-books testing took place at Heidelberg Dorevitch. The former chief health officer of the AFL Peter Harcourt gave me the contact of the guy at Heidelberg who would do the testing.

“Here is what happened as has been described to me (by Dr Arain): The AFL wants the player to play at all costs and so the cover-up begins.

If there are no illegal drugs in the player’s system they are free to play, and if there are drugs in their system the player is often asked to fake an ­injury.

“They are advised to lie about a condition, while the ­results of the off-the-book tests are kept secret and are never shared with Sports Integrity Australia or WADA.

“In other words, hundreds of thousands of Australians will watch the game not knowing that the game has been secretly manipulated by the AFL and thousands of Australians will bet on that game not knowing the game has been secretly ­manipulated by the AFL.

“So next time you hear a player has a hamstring injury, you could be forgiven for wondering what is really going on.

“But as Dr Arain explains, this isn’t just a Melbourne problem, it is an AFL problem, with multiple players coming to Melbourne from other teams with pre-existing cocaine dependencies, more than suggesting that drug testing workarounds are commonplace elsewhere in the AFL.

“The documents in my possession also indicate a shocking unwillingness of senior AFL ­executives to address drug abuse by players and executives, particularly in relation to cocaine use.

“For instance here are very detailed notes of a telephone meeting between Gill McLachlan, Richard Goyder and Glen Bartlett.”

The AFL has a longstanding contract with Dorevitch Pathology to conduct testing for its controversial out-of-competition illicit drugs code.

Match-day drug tests are conducted by SIA officers under the world anti-doping code.

The stunning claims are likely to draw the interest of WADA chiefs, SIA and the Albanese government, which has responsibilities under the global anti-doping code.

Mr Wilkie said the allegations were deeply troubling and called on Mr Albanese to review the signed statements and “personally intervene in this matter”.

“It is not an exaggeration to say the off-the-books testing scheme I’ve described sees the AFL effectively involved in a multi-hundred-million-dollar fraud on governments and taxpayers,” he said.

“Aussie rules football is far too important to our nation. I call for intervention at the highest level and ask the Prime Minister to personally intervene in this matter … because right now, Deputy Speaker, the term white-line fever has taken on a different and sinister meaning at the AFL.”

Joel Smith failed an anti-doping drugs test last August after traces of cocaine were ­detected in his system from a urine sample taken by SIA testers on match day.

He has since been accused by SIA of cocaine trafficking and faces a lifetime ban from sport.

In Shaun Smith’s statement, detailed by Mr Wilkie, he said: “If I had known of a massive drug problem in the AFL when my son was 14, I would have said you’re playing baseball, you’re playing something else.

“Something is not right when you get so many broken players.”

Cocaine is considered to be a performance-enhancing substance if detected on game day.

Dr Arain was sacked by the Demons in October 2020 after eight years as head doctor – just days after raising serious concerns about the club’s culture with chief executive Gary Pert.

Lawyers for Dr Arain hit the club with an unlawful dismissal claim, which led to a significant settlement.

Mr Bartlett was also forced out of the club shortly after raising concerns about alleged drug use at Melbourne.

Mr Bartlett is suing current president Kate Roffey and three other directors in the Federal Court, for misleading and deceptive conduct and defamation.

The AFL and Melbourne were contacted for comment.

The government on Tuesday night blocked attempts by Mr Wilkie to formally table the signed statements to parliament.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:45 pm

Spargo wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Instead he gave him concussion.
Broken ribs wont come back to haunt him years later…

Knee could have also smashed him in the back of the head and he's 6ft under.

and we would all be saying why didn't he brace

The correct course of action was pulling out of the contest

https://youtu.be/COaYnexJ4oc?si=noxowtvh9YEV1X9l&t=19
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:33 pm

Now instead of destroying his ribs he could’ve “smashed him in the back of the head “…
Keep shifting the goal posts with your story.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:39 pm

Spargo wrote:Now instead of destroying his ribs he could’ve “smashed him in the back of the head “…

What do you think he should have done?

I've said he should have pulled out.
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm

I don't think he intentions knocked him out. But it was dunb but Wright. I think it didn't look as bad as the bombers player lifting the elbow and just missed the Swans player.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:40 am

Thought he would get 5 or 6 so happy “it’s only” 4
They had to change the rule after Cripps got off and won a Brownlow
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:41 am

I haven't looked at the two but a lot of people on the socials commenting the comparison to this incident and the Cameron/Rowan one last season.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:58 am

Tom Doedee looked set to make his comeback this week, but partially tore his ACL at training yesterday morning.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:59 am

whufc wrote:I haven't looked at the two but a lot of people on the socials commenting the comparison to this incident and the Cameron/Rowan one last season.

It's not similar in the slightest
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:28 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Tom Doedee looked set to make his comeback this week, but partially tore his ACL at training yesterday morning.

Terrible for him, seems like a real like able bloke and doesn’t deserve this.

His third ACL I think.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:30 am

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Not suggesting that Cunningham should be suspended or anything just that running with the flight of the ball was part of the reason it occurred.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:34 am

Armchair expert wrote:
Spargo wrote:Now instead of destroying his ribs he could’ve “smashed him in the back of the head “…

What do you think he should have done?

I've said he should have pulled out.

Spoil or try and take the chest mark. NOT brace for a hip and shoulder. BUT, by doing this, this also opens him up to get cleaned up as well. I'm with the commentators, players will start pulling out of contests so they 1, don't get hurt and 2. don't get reported.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:38 am

Brodlach wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Tom Doedee looked set to make his comeback this week, but partially tore his ACL at training yesterday morning.

Terrible for him, seems like a real like able bloke and doesn’t deserve this.

His third ACL I think.

Whats recovery on a partial tear? still 12 months?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL