Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:07 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Gaza Sports & Community Club Inc v D Rosella?

Might want to join Griffin to that action. Who was he representing the club or the president? Seems like a conflict to me.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:21 pm

I hear the proposed fine a while ago was $100k. $50k suspended, $50k to be paid over 10 years. Seems a negotiated outcome was a better option than this rigmarole.

The problem with punishing clubs is who are you really punishing? Gaza isn't a person. Legally it is a entity and it's made up of its members and responsible for its executive's actions but I suspect the executives have moved on. All you really do is cripple a club who by in large are comprised of decent people who aren't morally culpable for what a few ding bats have done but dig in to keep the club going.

I'd be a bigger fan of prosecutions for the individuals that lied in stat decs and laying the blame at their door. I understood that to be the purpose of creating the procedure of signing the things.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the mercenary players copping half a year on the sidelines too. They were by in large complicit in it and with a couple of exceptions I reckon were happy to do it for their own benefit rather than the club's.

It seems to me the decent people at the club will put in the extra work over many years to sort this out. The rest move on away from Gaza. If I had the power I'd order the guilty ones empty the bins and clean the changerooms there for the next 10 years.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby blublurag » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:31 pm

The fines are there as a deterrent. If a club ignores the deterrent and then doesn't cop the fine what deterrent is there for others to be compliant.

Plenty of clubs being compliant and having to suffer the consequences of those not by missing out on recruits or losing players to overs being offered outside the cap. And then having to play against those clubs bolstered by their disregard for the rules. And then copping it from members saying why aren't we as good as that club down the road.

I have no sympathy for those who break the rules, especially to this extent.
blublurag
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby cracka » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:46 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:I hear the proposed fine a while ago was $100k. $50k suspended, $50k to be paid over 10 years. Seems a negotiated outcome was a better option than this rigmarole.

The problem with punishing clubs is who are you really punishing? Gaza isn't a person. Legally it is a entity and it's made up of its members and responsible for its executive's actions but I suspect the executives have moved on. All you really do is cripple a club who by in large are comprised of decent people who aren't morally culpable for what a few ding bats have done but dig in to keep the club going.

I'd be a bigger fan of prosecutions for the individuals that lied in stat decs and laying the blame at their door. I understood that to be the purpose of creating the procedure of signing the things.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the mercenary players copping half a year on the sidelines too. They were by in large complicit in it and with a couple of exceptions I reckon were happy to do it for their own benefit rather than the club's.

It seems to me the decent people at the club will put in the extra work over many years to sort this out. The rest move on away from Gaza. If I had the power I'd order the guilty ones empty the bins and clean the changerooms there for the next 10 years.

Agreed
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby wenchbarwer » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:28 am

The Big Shrek wrote:I hear the proposed fine a while ago was $100k. $50k suspended, $50k to be paid over 10 years. Seems a negotiated outcome was a better option than this rigmarole.

Heard it was a bit harsher than that. $100K over two years, 50K per year. Still less than what they were paying in their salary sombrero, anyway!
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby MW » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:37 am

I'm confused...
They were fined 300k, then that was cancelled, now they are guilty and will be fined?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:40 am

MW wrote:I'm confused...
They were fined 300k, then that was cancelled, now they are guilty and will be fined?

I think because they dropped a few charges, so that original 300K+ fine doesn't stand. They got found guilty, new punishments are on the 20th of Feb.

My comment was the original option presented to them. "We know you did it, plead guilty, here's a 100K fine, pay it over 2 years."
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby tigerpie » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:08 am

Send them back to z division, minimal fine so the club can still survive. Halve their points allocation for 2 years.
If they introduced criminal convictions to presidents/boards would that stop all the shenanigans with player payments?
I mean are boards committing fraud by keeping two sets of books?
It wouldn't stop a sponsor from slipping a couple of hundred in your pocket after the game I know.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:10 am

tigerpie wrote:Send them back to z division, minimal fine so the club can still survive. Halve their points allocation for 2 years.
If they introduced criminal convictions to presidents/boards would that stop all the shenanigans with player payments?
It wouldn't stop a sponsor from slipping a couple of hundred in your pocket after the game I know.

You would also want to include coaches and whoever does the contracts in that lot
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:12 am

tigerpie wrote:Send them back to z division, minimal fine so the club can still survive. Halve their points allocation for 2 years.

Exactly, the salary cap is easily worked around, ditch the cap and tighten the points system.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby jo172 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:23 am

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/sa-police-attend-gaza-football-club-after-meeting-turns-violent/news-story/5e116a7808cad734a9c16703c18ec93c

The Gaza Football Club salary cap scandal has taken yet another twist with police called to the club overnight.

SA Police attended the club at 7pm on Thursday after a meeting between three club members, including president Don Rosella, became heated.

The members were asked to leave the premises by police, which they did.

No arrests were made.

The altercation comes just a day after the club was found guilty by an independent SANFL tribunal on 223 counts of salary cap breaches through the 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022 Adelaide Footy League seasons.

President Rosella was also found guilty by Justice Michael David, KC for involvement in breaches during 2021 and 2022.

At the hearing, Rosella and lawyer Greg Griffin claimed he caught wind of breaches before becoming president in 2020 and tried to stop them by removing the people involved.

“As a consequence of his (Rosella’s) hard line position, he was completely kept out of the loop by the football department and had nothing to do with the payments,” Mr Griffin said.

“Weak coaches and weak club officials sat back and let it happen.”

Mr Rosella faces a potential suspension of 10 years from holding an official role with any SANFL-affiliated club.

The club was originally fined $380,000 and could be docked player and premiership points ahead of next season.

However, Justice Michael David will make submissions on penalties which will be considered by a SANFL committee when the tribunal reconvenes on Tuesday, February 20, meaning lesser penalties may apply.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:24 am

wenchbarwer wrote:

You would also want to include coaches and whoever does the contracts in that lot

Anyone who swore a false stat dec is guilty of an offence with a maximum sentence of four years ...
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:26 am

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:06 pm

Getting juicier by the day it seems.
So if Mr Rosella kicked out the people involved in 21 why/how did it continue without his knowledge?
Saying the footy department kept him out of the loop is fine when it comes to on field stuff but he's the Prez he sees the books.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Pepsi » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:10 pm

some Intel on a food fight in the club rooms, apparently even a cabbage thrown out the door
Pepsi
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:17 pm

I have heard a physical altercation between Rosella and either a, or more than one Radetti.

Rosella and Griffin need to answer some questions. Maybe they were asked some last night.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:04 pm

Pepsi wrote:some Intel on a food fight in the club rooms, apparently even a cabbage thrown out the door

Any pizzas thrown around or doesn't he go there anymore?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:I have heard a physical altercation between Rosella and either a, or more than one Radetti.

Rosella and Griffin need to answer some questions. Maybe they were asked some last night.

I'd back in Radettis any day of the week.

A captain is supposed to go down with his ship.

This Rosella guy has jumped on the only life raft, cut the cord and is yelling every man for himself
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby redyellow&blue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:25 am

Next General meeting should be held there...
redyellow&blue
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:19 am

New article from the Advertiser. Rosella has resigned. Better late than never.

Gaza should be getting new legal advice ASAP.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League