Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:53 am

Been a good day for Test Cricket.

Demonstrates why it’s the best form of the game.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:28 am

Just heard on SEN that Tim Paine wasn't a fan of past players cheering for the Windies.
I'm fairly sure the cheering for the Windies is more based on how good it is to see some competitive cricket and how hopeful we all are that this may be the start of a new era for Windies cricket.
Cricket had missed a competitive Windies team in recent years.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:22 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just heard on SEN that Tim Paine wasn't a fan of past players cheering for the Windies.
I'm fairly sure the cheering for the Windies is more based on how good it is to see some competitive cricket and how hopeful we all are that this may be the start of a new era for Windies cricket.

i love Australia. But i was cheering for the Windies. How could you not? They responded after one of the worst loses, played with incredible confidence, very likable players and sheer toughness in the end with one of the best displays of grit in cricket in some time...
Great for cricket
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby rd » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:45 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just heard on SEN that Tim Paine wasn't a fan of past players cheering for the Windies.

i love Australia. But i was cheering for the Windies. How could you not? They responded after one of the worst loses, played with incredible confidence, very likable players and sheer t
oughness in the end with one of the best displays of grit in cricket in some time...
Great for cricket

It seems plenty of people were cheering for the Windies this weekend in view of the Aust Day comments made by members of the Aust Test team. I'm hearing the word "karma" in a lot of conversations today and it seems that the popularity of the Aust Test team may have returned to the levels seen immediately after the South African Sandpaper Gate scandal.
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:46 am

They captured the spirit of the great 60-61 Windies tour here.

I can’t remember so much love for an opposition team beating Australia in Australia … ever.

What does that say to us?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 am

rd wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

i love Australia. But i was cheering for the Windies. How could you not? They responded after one of the worst loses, played with incredible confidence, very likable players and sheer t
oughness in the end with one of the best displays of grit in cricket in some time...
Great for cricket

It seems plenty of people were cheering for the Windies this weekend in view of the Aust Day comments made by members of the Aust Test team. I'm hearing the word "karma" in a lot of conversations today and it seems that the popularity of the Aust Test team may have returned to the levels seen immediately after the South African Sandpaper Gate scandal.

The Aussie version of schadenfreude
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:48 am

rd wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Great for cricket

Ummm, yeah that wasn't why i was going for the windies. Karma has nothing to do with it. I personally don't understand why people got so mad about what cummins said. He was asked a question and answered it.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:31 am

dedja wrote:They captured the spirit of the great 60-61 Windies tour here.

I can’t remember so much love for an opposition team beating Australia in Australia … ever.

A ) we dont love our test team as much as we have previously for various reasons
B ) we actually enjoy seeing a contest. I enjoyed watching Pakistan be competitive in parts during that series.
C ) I think we all hope that the Windies can build from this win and be competitive in test crickrt
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Trader » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:41 am

I wasn't mad with Pat's comments.

I was upset with Cricket Australia issuing an instruction to delete all references to Australia Day.

Listening to the commentators say 'this public holiday Friday', and phrases like that, rather than Australia Day, irked me.

People can support changing the date, while still acknowledging that the current date is Jan 26th.

If Cricket Australia doesn't want to have anything to do with Australia Day, then they shouldn't schedule cricket on Jan 26th.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 am

Trader wrote:I wasn't mad with Pat's comments.

I was upset with Cricket Australia issuing an instruction to delete all references to Australia Day.

Listening to the commentators say 'this public holiday Friday', and phrases like that, rather than Australia Day, irked me.

People can support changing the date, while still acknowledging that the current date is Jan 26th

If Cricket Australia doesn't want to have anything to do with Australia Day, then they shouldn't schedule cricket on Jan 26th.

Agreed. But has to work the other way too. Understanding why some people want the date changed.

Tolerance on both sides
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Dinglinga75 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:07 pm

The only disappointing part of the Gabba Test I feel was the attendance on Day 3 & 4 .. ( may have been mentioned earlier)

Day 3 (Saturday) 11,184
Day 4 (Sunday) 3,182
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby rd » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:51 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Trader wrote:I wasn't mad with Pat's comments.

People can support changing the date, while still acknowledging that the current date is Jan 26th

Agreed. But has to work the other way too. Understanding why some people want the date changed.

Tolerance on both sides

Good comments from both posts.

From what I've observed in recent times the "silent majority" of the population will comply with whatever decision the Government of the Day makes regarding Australia Day - but until then - they want sporting organisations and big businesses to focus on their core business. So the population at large wants their AFL, NRL,SANFL club etc to win premierships, CA to provide a strong Australian cricket team that wants to play for Australia on any date and celebrities to stop lecturing them. A few people have told me that Ray Martin swayed them from Yes to No Vote in the last referendum.
rd
Under 18s

Been liked: 26 times

Postby mal » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:29 pm

England plays West Indies in a THREE :shock: test series in July
Its the Richards[Viv] v Botham [Ian] trophy
Look forward to the Bazball v Joeball series
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:37 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
dedja wrote:They captured the spirit of the great 60-61 Windies tour here.

A ) we dont love our test team as much as we have previously for various reasons
B ) we actually enjoy seeing a contest. I enjoyed watching Pakistan be competitive in parts during that series.
C ) I think we all hope that the Windies can build from this win and be competitive in test crickrt

D) If they come back in 4 years and we're 2-0 down in a 4 Test series we won't all be cheering them on
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby MW » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:40 pm

The only reason I enjoyed the Aussies losing was to wake them up. A little bit of luck and we lose both the series this summer.
Is it fatigue? Have they taken the oppo easy? Maybe a little of both.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:43 pm

Our bowling line up wins us matches, our batting is suspect all the way through the order and come the last Test of a 5 Test summer where the bowlers played all the matches and bowled on each the first 3 days in a stinking Brisbane heat wave were flat when we needed to roll them in the second dig.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:45 pm

MW wrote:The only reason I enjoyed the Aussies losing was to wake them up. A little bit of luck and we lose both the series this summer.
Is it fatigue? Have they taken the oppo easy? Maybe a little of both.

And they’re not as good as they think they are.
When Uzzie, Smith, Lyon and Starc retire we are in big trouble and will drop right back.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:49 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/stats-wi-s-first-test-win-in-australia-since-1997-1418727

1- Australia's eight-run defeat against West Indies was their first in a day-night Test match. Australia won each of their previous 11 day-night Test matches. In contrast, this was West Indies' first-ever win in a day-night Test match, having lost all their previous four games.

2003- West Indies' last win against Australia in Test cricket - by three wickets at St John's. West Indies played 20 Tests against Australia in the previous 20 years, losing in 16 while another four ended in a draw.

It is also the first win for West Indies in Australia since the ten-wicket win in Perth in February 1997. West Indies lost 15 of the 17 Tests they played in Australia between the two wins.

8- West Indies' win margin in Brisbane is their second narrowest by runs in men's Tests. They defeated Australia by one run in 1993 at the Adelaide Oval while defending a target of 186. Six of the twelve men's Tests to be decided by less than ten runs have come against Australia.

10- Test defeats for Australia at the Gabba out of the 66 they played. Sunday's defeat was their second in four matches at the venue since 2021, where they did not lose one in the 31 played between 1989 and 2020.

1- Previous instance of Australia losing a Test match after declaring in an innings at home. Australia declared their first innings on 395 for 8 despite being 54 behind West Indies in the 1988 Perth Test but lost by 169. Overall, this was only the fifth instance of Australia losing a Test match where they declared in one of their innings.

5- Players, including Shamar Joseph, with a seven-wicket haul for West Indies against Australia in Test cricket. Three of the previous seven-fors by the West Indies bowlers came in Australia only.

Joseph is also the first visiting bowler with a seven-plus wicket haul in Australia since Matthew Hoggard's 7 for 109 in 2006 at the Adelaide Oval.

2- Players with five-wicket hauls in their first two Test matches for West Indies. Before Joseph, only Fidel Edwards accomplished this feat, with five-fors against Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in 2003.

2- Bowlers with better figures for West Indies in the fourth innings than Joseph's 7 for 68 in Brisbane. Curtley Ambrose in 1990 and Roston Chase in 2019 bagged eight-wicket hauls - against England in Bridgetown.

11.5- Overs bowled by Shamar in Australia's second innings. These are the fewest overs bowled by a player in a Test innings for West Indies while picking up seven or more wickets.

216- Fourth-innings target that Australia failed to chase at the Gabba is the lowest for them at home in the last 25 years. The previous instance of Australia losing at home chasing a lower target was 175 against England at the MCG in 1998.

9- Batters, including Steven Smith at the Gabba, to carry their bat in the fourth innings of a Test match. Smith is also the first opener to carry the bat in the fourth innings since Dean Elgar against India in 2018. The previous Australian to carry the bat was David Warner against New Zealand in 2011, also in an unsuccessful chase in Hobart. Smith also became the first opener to carry his bat in Tests since Tom Latham against Sri Lanka in December 2018.

3- Travis Head is the third to bag a king's pair in men's Tests for Australia, after Adam Gilchrist against India at the Eden Gardens in 2001 and Ryan Harris against England at the Adelaide Oval in 2010.

AUS v WI at the Gabba is the second international cricket match where exactly 1,000 runs were scored.
600 runs combined in 1st inns for each team
400 runs combined in 2nd inns for each team

17th of November 2018 was the last time that the AUS men's and women's sides both lost an international cricket match on the same day

In Test match #2524 was the first time a side has ever won by 8 runs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:05 pm

Spelly, your services are no longer required. :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:33 pm

Booney wrote:Our bowling line up wins us matches, our batting is suspect all the way through the order and come the last Test of a 5 Test summer where the bowlers played all the matches and bowled on each the first 3 days in a stinking Brisbane heat wave were flat when we needed to roll them in the second dig.

The positive however was that new opener looks alright.

Reckon that bloke has a bright future ahead of himself. ;) :lol:

In all seriousness though it all confirms this squad as one of the countries most unliked sides in history! Talking about it at work today everyone had a least one story/issue that hit a nerve them whether it was…..

-Sandpaper gate
-Stumping gate
-David Warners general behaviour
-Steve Smith and Labuschagne batting aesthetics
-Lyon dropping the ball on the batsmen was mentioned. Just general DH behaviour.
-Political Pat and Khawaja bringing politics into the game.
-Cricket Australia and how they have handled the fixtures this year.
-CA and how they prioritise t20.

The funniest part was the most hated bloke three years ago is probably the most loved now in Marsh.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket