Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am

DOC wrote:David Warner has found one of his "missing" caps.

What??

He found it as in it was never missing like what he had done previously or found as in 'its been handed' back by the people who took it.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:59 am

Test cricket is in such diabolical trouble across the globe, it's time to think outside the square and take historical weather conditions into consideration, as well as audience and schedule the Adelaide test when it best suits Adelaide, and not bow down to the Eastern states. CA needs to start taking control - otherwise test cricket is completely stuffed, if not already.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:15 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:1. We’re never getting the NY test unless they changed the whole summer’s programming.

Why not we had the Boxing day Xmas test in test in 1976-77.

Lightning McQueen wrote:My solution is to play the BBL late November through to perhaps having the finals in early January’ (this allows the T20 mercenaries to play the whole comp), make the first test the Melbourne Boxing Day test, there’s a stronger chance that weather will better in January across the country.

This was the original plan from Cricket Australia's cricket department until the commercial arm got their say, according to Greg Cheppell's newish book Not Out from India to ball tampering.

His comments on the ball tampering affair are interesting
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:19 am

am Bays wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:1. We’re never getting the NY test unless they changed the whole summer’s programming.

Why not we had the Boxing day Xmas test in test in 1976-77.

Lightning McQueen wrote:My solution is to play the BBL late November through to perhaps having the finals in early January’ (this allows the T20 mercenaries to play the whole comp), make the first test the Melbourne Boxing Day test, there’s a stronger chance that weather will better in January across the country.

This was the original plan from Cricket Australia's cricket department until the commercial arm got their say, according to Greg Cheppell's newish book Not Out from India to ball tampering.

His comments on the ball tampering affair are interesting

Care to elaborate...?

I'm very critical of CA but i think they should be very proud of how they handled the tampering scandal. My gut feel is that tampering was rife in test cricket for all nations and Australia were the only ones in the end that had the balls to stand up and say enough is enough. Since that moment in time reverse swing seems to have reduced and ball tampering may not be something that is happening. Remember that period where fielders were wearing all sorts of tape, bandaids and bandages.

Who knows however if Warners claims about a systematic approach to tampering from CA is true. Jury still out.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:29 am

In short the "we want wins" mantra after the Hobart debacle against South Africa. Ball tampering wasn't a systemic tactic but in short there was an "understanding" perceived or otherwise between the team and CA that we dont care what you do to win but win.

This led to the attack dog role given to Warner by team management to get under the skin of opposition to get them off their game - Chappell challenged Boof on this.

No coincidence that Sutherland and Lehman resigned in the wake of the ball tampering scandal

Dont think Warner 's main target in his book will be teammates.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:34 am

am Bays wrote:In short the "we want wins" mantra after the Hobart debacle against South Africa

The attack dog role given to Warner by team management to get under the skin of opposition - Chappell challenged Boof on this.

No coincidence that Sutherland and Lehman resigned in the wake of the ball tampering scandal

Dont think Warner 's main target in his book will be teammates..

Yeah i think that is real clear. You get a sense that Warner feels CA took advantage of young cricketers coming into the side, 'leading/encouraging/directing' them to cross lines.

I love Boof as much as anyone, how could i not but i reckon he failed significantly in his role as part of all this as well. He got away pretty cheap as well.
whufc
Coach

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am

whufc wrote:… Who knows however if Warners claims about a systematic approach to tampering from CA is true. Jury still out.

Which is why he’s such a polarising figure.

Says that he has no regrets, and has been squealing like a stuck pig in the last year about the way CA ‘bungled’ (his words) the non-overturning of his leadership ban. It always seems to be someone else’s fault.

That’s why, despite a very good record over a long time, he should not be held in the same regard as true Australian greats IMO.

Whilst I believe that no other nation would have penalised those three so harshly for what was a completely moronic act, the sheer stupidity of what they did was mind blowing, and Davey boy was in it up to his neck.

Have other teams tampered with the ball? Of course they have. Do they still try? Probably, but apart from Shahid Afridi’s act of trying to eat the ball, none have been so blatantly stupid as what the Aussies did.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:44 am

whufc wrote:

What??

He found it as in it was never missing like what he had done previously or found as in 'its been handed' back by the people who took it.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1sX74HS_iv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/davi ... is-1415570
David Warner's missing baggy green has been located four days after he announced it had been lost in transit between Melbourne and Sydney ahead of his final Test.

The backpack containing two caps, including Warner's original from his Test debut in 2011, was found at the team hotel in Sydney although how it got there remains unclear. Warner posted a video on social media on Friday morning holding his original baggy green and thanked those involved for finding it.

"Hi everyone, I am very pleased and relieved to let you all know that my baggy greens have been found, which is great news," he wrote alongside the video. "Thanks to all involved and I am extremely grateful. Qantas, the freight company, our hotels and team management. Thanks [sic] you.

A Cricket Australia spokesperson said: "The bag in which they were packed was found at the team hotel, with all the contents inside. The movements of the missing bag are unknown despite extensive searches and the review of CCTV footage at multiple locations and the efforts of numerous parties since Tuesday."
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:47 am

dedja wrote:
whufc wrote:… Who knows however if Warners claims about a systematic approach to tampering from CA is true. Jury still out.

Which is why he’s such a polarising figure.

Says that he has no regrets, and has been squealing like a stuck pig in the last year about the way CA ‘bungled’ (his words) the non-overturning of his leadership ban. It always seems to be someone else’s fault.

That’s why, despite a very good record over a long time, he should not be held in the same regard as true Australian greats IMO.

Whilst I believe that no other nation would have penalised those three so harshly for what was a completely moronic act, the sheer stupidity of what they did was mind blowing, and Davey boy was in it up to his neck.

Have other teams tampered with the ball? Of course they have. Do they still try? Probably, but apart from Shahid Afridi’s act of trying to eat the ball, none have been so blatantly stupid as what the Aussies did.

Yeah Nah....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (12.91 KiB) Viewed 331 times
4A8E489E00000578-0-In_1994_the_England_captain_Michael_Atherton_was_caught_in_what_-m-3_1522014179126.jpg
4A8E489E00000578-0-In_1994_the_England_captain_Michael_Atherton_was_caught_in_what_-m-3_1522014179126.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 335 times
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:52 am

Lets be 100% clear all the above examples (Warner, Atherton, du Plessies and Afridi) are completely unacceptable and can not be justified or excused in any way. The are against the rules let alone the spirit of the game.
am Bays
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:14 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
My solution is to play the BBL late November through to perhaps having the finals in early January’ (this allows the T20 mercenaries to play the whole comp), make the first test the Melbourne Boxing Day test, there’s a stronger chance that weather will better in January across the country.

October - Shield and ODD comp start
November - Shield & Tests
Decemember - Shield & Tests (Boxing day is the last test)
January - BBL
February - ODI series T20i series etc
March - Is now footy season
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:21 am

Armchair expert wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
My solution is to play the BBL late November through to perhaps having the finals in early January’ (this allows the T20 mercenaries to play the whole comp), make the first test the Melbourne Boxing Day test, there’s a stronger chance that weather will better in January across the country.

October - Shield and ODD comp start
November - Shield & Tests
Decemember - Shield & Tests (Boxing day is the last test)
January - BBL
February - ODI series T20i series etc
March - Is now footy season

Weather is too poop in December. Check out the national rainfall over the past few years.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby DOC » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:32 am

Anyone have any idea why Harsha Bhogle is commentating in Australia given India is in South Africa.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:53 am

DOC wrote:Anyone have any idea why Harsha Bhogle is commentating in Australia given India is in South Africa.

Surely we could do an exchange, I know of a couple that we could send over there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mal » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:55 am

Prime time viewing
Anthony Albanese is currently commentating on Foxtel's coverage
Last edited by mal on Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:56 am

whufc wrote:

What??

I thought it was a load of frog shit from the outset, just adding to the hype of his last test, how ironic that it was his out of all the players possible?

Would’ve made a special story to have tonned up and then bang, the cap re-appeared.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:56 am

mal wrote:Prime time viewing

Who the f*** could listen to that voice for longer than 30 seconds?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:57 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

What??

I thought it was a load of frog shit from the outset, just adding to the hype of his last test, how ironic that it was his out of all the players possible?

Would’ve made a special story to have tonned up and then bang, the cap re-appeared.

That's why he was so upset when he got out, he ruined the script
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Think I'd have him over Haydos, only just though. Both painful
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:01 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Think I'd have him over Haydos, only just though. Both painful

They could do the Euro league together
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket