Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Insider_Trading » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:30 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:
Insider_Trading wrote:Under 19's will also be hamstrung by bowling restrictions too. 6 overs per spell for pace bowlers. And a maximum of 18 I think for the day and they have to have a break of an hour in between those spells.

Looks like they took a bit of a hammering v Sturt this afternoon.

I believe that's why they are able to play12 each game.

I did not know that was the case at all.
Thanks for clarifying.
Insider_Trading
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Shark_Hunter » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:19 pm

Seahorses vs WT all over and stumps pulled before 2.15pm. Seems wrong they don't stay out there until at least there is an hour or so left of play. Give the younger guys some overs, bat someone into form. Surely better than retiring to the clubhouse, or maybe I'm too old school.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:40 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:Seahorses vs WT all over and stumps pulled before 2.15pm. Seems wrong they don't stay out there until at least there is an hour or so left of play. Give the younger guys some overs, bat someone into form. Surely better than retiring to the clubhouse, or maybe I'm too old school.

I might be wrong but only reason for playing on is if your a chance you can get an outright
I don5 think you get bonus points for wickets or runs so there’s no point, this was the case in the old days where would would play till the end
The 20 overs in the las5 hour I’d it was a fourth innings was always good times
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby Shark_Hunter » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:54 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:
Shark_Hunter wrote:Seahorses vs WT all over and stumps pulled before 2.15pm. Seems wrong they don't stay out there until at least there is an hour or so left of play. Give the younger guys some overs, bat someone into form. Surely better than retiring to the clubhouse, or maybe I'm too old school.

I might be wrong but only reason for playing on is if your a chance you can get an outright
I don5 think you get bonus points for wickets or runs so there’s no point, this was the case in the old days where would would play till the end

Fair enough, but given it is first grade still think they should be out there playing.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:55 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:
Arry Gablett wrote:

Fair enough, but given it is first grade still think they should be out there playing.

I agree 100%
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby Gosaints » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:47 pm

Do we think the U19 concept will survive the season? I am hearing of tears and not wanting to play.
Gosaints
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:49 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Arry Gablett wrote:Surely they get to play for a flag in finals
Isn’t that why we play

Minor premier automatic
The premier if it’s not the minor premier goes up
If the minor premier is in the gf then the other gf participant

The division 1 teams that finish last and second last don’t get another chance stay up just because

The season will show that the top 3 or so in division 2 are competitive against all division 1 teams

Think there should be finals in Div 2. I think the top team goes thru to GF and 2nd vs 3rd play off for the other spot. Otherwise the top team could get sent in on a wet deck and game over, seems unfair.

Don't think top 3 teams in Div 2 be competitive, definitely Sturt, but Adelaide very young and couple of years away from being stronger, Prospect and Southerns are no good. Northerns as per usual look strong on paper but as per last decade or so it does not transfer onto the field. Will finish 2nd and go up in my opinion though.

I heard on the weekend that this is the case for this season. Minor Premier (probably Sturt) straight into the Div 2 GF and automatic promotion. 2 v 3 play off for other spot in GF (and promotion into Div 1). I believe there is some thought for the following season for this scenario (but stand corrected):
Div 1 - 8th placed team automatically relegated
Div 2 - Minor premier automatically promoted
Div 1 7th ranked team v Div 2 2nd ranked team (technically 10th ranked team) to play off for the other Div 1 place.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:48 pm

Gosaints wrote:Do we think the U19 concept will survive the season? I am hearing of tears and not wanting to play.

Hopefully not

Terrible idea, weakens cricket, means that our best young players don't play with or against the best cricketers in the competition. Just putrid on every level.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:47 pm

Why would they want to play? I mean, in all seriousness, they're playing red ball cricket when they play white ball cricket at the nationals. Then they program them on Adelaide Oval 2 against a strong Sturt outfit. The boys should always have been included in the white ball comps and allow them to be around their much more experienced team mates for the red ball.

There's a lot of talent in that group and I truly hope they go well in the tournament, i just hope the decision to play them in the Div 2 comp doesn't kill their confidence before they even get there
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby tigerpie » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:20 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
Gosaints wrote:Do we think the U19 concept will survive the season? I am hearing of tears and not wanting to play.

Hopefully not

Terrible idea, weakens cricket, means that our best young players don't play with or against the best cricketers in the competition. Just putrid on every level.

Yep the young talented guys need to be guided by the older heads, not their peers.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:22 pm

Sturt roll Prospect for 43

get them in div 1 already ffs
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Corona Man » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:31 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Sturt roll Prospect for 43

get them in div 1 already ffs

Prospect have been garbage for 5 years AE.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Aerie » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:26 pm

Three rounds played and now a couple of weeks of white ball cricket to determine finalists in those competitions. Any predictions on the fate of Kensington this year Eagles2014?

Premier Cricket Round 3

Div 1
Glenelg 60
Tea Tree Gully 45
University 40
West Torrens 30
————————-
Port Adelaide 25
Woodville 25
————————-
East Torrens 5
Kensington 0

Div 2
Sturt 70
Northern Dist 40
SACA U19s 30
————————-
Southern Dist 20
Prospect 20
Adelaide 20
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 pm

Aerie wrote:Three rounds played and now a couple of weeks of white ball cricket to determine finalists in those competitions. Any predictions on the fate of Kensington this year Eagles2014?

Premier Cricket Round 3

Div 1
Glenelg 60
Tea Tree Gully 45
University 40
West Torrens 30
————————-
Port Adelaide 25
Woodville 25
————————-
East Torrens 5
Kensington 0

Div 2
Sturt 70
Northern Dist 40
SACA U19s 30
————————-
Southern Dist 20
Prospect 20
Adelaide 20

Maybe I was a year ahead with my prediction :D

Although was tongue in cheek at the time, they are feeling the affect of losing Jake Brown, Alex Ross, Elliott Opie etc, huge hole in the team. Only seven games to go so need to get a move on.

Don’t know the answer, but this is the problem with the two divisions, a team like Kensington develops so many good young players, they lose them to different State games, etc. West Torrens were the same today, with Futures game tomorrow lost Kelvin Smith, Bailey Capel and Harry Manenti, basically game over, plus another four in Redbacks team. Could potentially be Kensy and WT go down due to this reason :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:38 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
Aerie wrote:Three rounds played and now a couple of weeks of white ball cricket to determine finalists in those competitions. Any predictions on the fate of Kensington this year Eagles2014?

Premier Cricket Round 3

Div 1
Glenelg 60
Tea Tree Gully 45
University 40
West Torrens 30
————————-
Port Adelaide 25
Woodville 25
————————-
East Torrens 5
Kensington 0

Div 2
Sturt 70
Northern Dist 40
SACA U19s 30
————————-
Southern Dist 20
Prospect 20
Adelaide 20

Although was tongue in cheek at the time, they are feeling the affect of losing Jake Brown, Alex Ross, Elliott Opie etc, huge hole in the team. Only seven games to go so need to get a move on.

Don’t know the answer, but this is the problem with the two divisions, a team like Kensington develops so many good young players, they lose them to different State games, etc. West Torrens were the same today, with Futures game tomorrow lost Kelvin Smith, Bailey Capel and Harry Manenti, basically game over, plus another four in Redbacks team. Could potentially be Kensy and WT go down due to this reason :shock:

The only Kensington players I can think of are Grant and Pope and rest are imports?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:43 am

Minimum Chips wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Premier Cricket Round 3

Div 1
Glenelg 60
Tea Tree Gully 45
University 40
West Torrens 30
————————-
Port Adelaide 25
Woodville 25
————————-
East Torrens 5
Kensington 0

Div 2
Sturt 70
Northern Dist 40
SACA U19s 30
————————-
Southern Dist 20
Prospect 20
Adelaide 20

The only Kensington players I can think of are Grant and Pope and rest are imports?
The skipper of the u/19 side should be playing for the Browns and not playing glorified practice matches.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby billy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:40 pm

How can Kensington going out of first division be good for cricket in this state?

Surely there has to be finals to qualify for First Division, this makes no sense to me.

West Torrens have 4 players consistently playing first class cricket and then K Smith, B Capel
and H Manenti who are playing second X1, two of those have played first class.

Without getting into the inner workings of each club, I cannot see of what benefit it is
to have 2 clubs who have been arguably the 2 of the strongest clubs in the state over the last
ten years being at risk of playing second division due to there being no qualifying games
to move to first division.

How is this helping improve cricket in South Australia?
billy

Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:49 pm

billy wrote:How can Kensington going out of first division be good for cricket in this state?

Surely there has to be finals to qualify for First Division, this makes no sense to me.

West Torrens have 4 players consistently playing first class cricket and then K Smith, B Capel

Without getting into the inner workings of each club, I cannot see of what benefit it is
to have 2 clubs who have been arguably the 2 of the strongest clubs in the state over the last
ten years being at risk of playing second division due to there being no qualifying games

Obviously am biased, but absolutely agree with this post 100%.

FWIW, I don’t think Kensy will finish bottom two, they will get their crap together and do enough to get out of bottom two.

Not so confident with WT though, the outright over Woodville was very handy and totally unexpected. With their guns all out, have a very ordinary side. Will somehow need to jag two wins from next seven matches which could be tough.

System now does not support developing young talent for this State, it encourages you to spend huge money on recruits and forfeit your Ray Sutton team :shock: How that helps the Redbacks get off the bottom I have no idea!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:04 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
billy wrote:How can Kensington going out of first division be good for cricket in this state?

FWIW, I don’t think Kensy will finish bottom two, they will get their crap together and do enough to get out of bottom two.

Not so confident with WT though, the outright over Woodville was very handy and totally unexpected. With their guns all out, have a very ordinary side. Will somehow need to jag two wins from next seven matches which could be tough.

System now does not support developing young talent for this State, it encourages you to spend huge money on recruits and forfeit your Ray Sutton team :shock: How that helps the Redbacks get off the bottom I have no idea!

Exactly - as has been mentioned before, also a club like Sturt who have a strong history of junior development are "rewarded" by being in Div 2 this year. This will probably penalise Thomas Kelly for being loyal to his club and possibly won't be considered for selection, even though the 2 division concept was sold as having nothing to do with selection consideration. Anything with T Nielsen involved has absolutely zero credibility..
I'm not really sure whether 1 division or 2 or how many divisions would make any difference to making the Redbacks stronger. Most of the shitbag interstate recruits have no interest in playing for their grade club (exception appears to being Lindsay Buckingham and maybe 1 or 2 others) as they overrate themselves highly and think it is beneath them!
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby C Horse » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:56 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Or your 4th Grade, I guess.....
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps