Adelaide

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide

Postby DOC » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:18 pm

How about just include them in the list and adjust the cap.

It is complete and utter bullshit to refer to them as rookies. The Australian Football League Players' Association (AFLPA) has stated a desire to abolish the rookie list, in favour of an expanded 46 player roster. The AFLPA's main argument is that rookies now have the same workload as senior players – which was not necessarily true in the early days of the rookie list – but that their pay and opportunities are much lower than that of senior players.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:20 pm

DOC wrote:How about just include them in the list and adjust the cap.

It is complete and utter bullshit to refer to them as rookies. The Australian Football League Players' Association (AFLPA) has stated a desire to abolish the rookie list, in favour of an expanded 46 player roster. The AFLPA's main argument is that rookies now have the same workload as senior players – which was not necessarily true in the early days of the rookie list – but that their pay and opportunities are much lower than that of senior players.

A bit like an apprentice?
Who work the same hours as qualified tradies do.

The ‘Apprentice list’!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Hector » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:52 pm

Exactly. The rookie list may have been intended initially to give rookies a chance (Murry springs to mind) but to use it to delist someone and retain them I don't like. Clubs do it every year and I think it just exploits the players. Just expand the list.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby cracka » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:36 pm

Hector wrote:

Exactly. The rookie list may have been intended initially to give rookies a chance (Murry springs to mind) but to use it to delist someone and retain them I don't like. Clubs do it every year and I think it just exploits the players. Just expand the list.

Isn't it because the AFL makes clubs have a certain number of trades/retirements/delistings each year
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:43 pm

Hector wrote:

But arent they delisting the old guys to make room on their primary list for a new 18yr old draftee? Probably better this way as the kid gets the main list spot and the old guys get a rookie spot
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:37 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Hector wrote:

But arent they delisting the old guys to make room on their primary list for a new 18yr old draftee? Probably better this way as the kid gets the main list spot and the old guys get a rookie spot

I could have this wrong but,........

I presume the old guy who once was pretty serviceable would request a higher salary than the 18 year old draftee.

Rookie list the old guy and his pay demand is minimal due to the rookie list rules, place the drafteee on your main list and you get them at a bargain price as well freeing up plenty of salary cap room for your better footballers.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5590 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Hector » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:05 pm

whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Hector wrote:

I could have this wrong but,........

I presume the old guy who once was pretty serviceable would request a higher salary than the 18 year old draftee.

Rookie list the old guy and his pay demand is minimal due to the rookie list rules, place the drafteee on your main list and you get them at a bargain price as well freeing up plenty of salary cap room for your better footballers.

I'm not saying it's not smart, that's why clubs do it. But in this case, Hamill wouldn't be on that much coin anyway. The advantage the Rookie List provides is that he gets to keep having a crack but with an expanded list he would be doing that anyway without being screwed over financially.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:20 am

Jack Hombsch elevated to a line coach
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 pm

1. Gold Coast A
2. Geelong H
3. Fremantle A
4. Melbourne H
5. Carlton A
6. Essendon H
7. North Melbourne A
8. Port Power H
9. Brisbane H
10. Collingwood A
11. West Coast H
12. Hawthorn A
13. Richmond H
14. Sydney H
15. BYE
16. GWS H
17. Brisbane A
18. St Kilda H
19. Essendon A
20. Hawthorn H
21. Geelong A
22. Bulldogs H
23. Port Power A
24. Sydney A

Doubles: Port, Sydney, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Brisbane
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:22 pm

Pretty happy with our first two picks

Third pick I have no idea and he was so surprised he was selected he had no idea what was happening
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:23 am

Luke Pedler with a two year extension
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:50 pm

Should make the position his own this year with McAdam gone.

Rate him highly.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:52 pm

Yep, good unit that one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby MW » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:39 pm

Needs to improve his kicking for goal and he'll own that small forward role.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:37 pm

I see him developing into the inside mid rotation (on the opposition go to) with rotation through the forwards in a defensive role over the length of this contract.

Not going to be the main inside mid but part of the 2nd/3rd rotation through the quarter

Rankine is the primary small forward trying to get the 30 odd goals a season

Another good Glenelg lad
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby stan » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:09 am

He should be getting more midfield time in my opinion. I rate this guy, reckon he'll be a main part of their midfield going forward.

Let Rankine do his thing up forward and leave him there, could be a 50+ goal small forward in the seasons ahead.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:38 am

Pedler, one of those footballers no matter who you support you can’t help but respect and like him.

Such a crucial part of the team, makes Rankine and Rachele so much better.
whufc
Coach

Postby Vamos » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:32 am

whufc wrote:Pedler, one of those footballers no matter who you support you can’t help but respect and like him.

Is this a view of someone who watches Adelaide "Closely" or just another too much time in between sessions dribble. Drakes are hiring :-" :-"
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:30 pm

Vamos wrote:
whufc wrote:Pedler, one of those footballers no matter who you support you can’t help but respect and like him.

Is this a view of someone who watches Adelaide "Closely" or just another too much time in between sessions dribble. Drakes are hiring :-" :-"

Haha….. I do alright for a job mate

Surely you could understand the context of me not watching Port as ‘closely’ as someone like Booney who is at half their games, most likely looking at the forward set ups, looking at what happening up the ground, probably even watching a replay lol etc etc

Doesn’t mean you can’t comment however
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:37 pm

Adelaide to play Port and West Coast in the preseason games
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL