Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Postby old fullback » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:59 pm

Where is Gazas proof that this never happened? Got caught now pay for it, asking the community for funds is a bit rich
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:29 pm

$3,067 today
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:31 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:$3,067 today

They'll be back on the park in no time at this rate 8)
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:36 pm

$3,367

Breaching the weekly salary cap again 8)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:17 pm

Question - Why is there a salary cap anyway?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby jo172 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:54 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Question - Why is there a salary cap anyway?

Under the rules this is the purpose and objects.

I would be very interested in some rigorous analysis as to whether the Salary Cap is achieving these objects and if it is, the extent to which the negatives outweigh the objects which are being achieved.

I don't have a firm view one way or the other, but I tend to suspect at least in respect of some of the objects its entirely counter productive.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-10 155258.png
Screenshot 2023-10-10 155258.png (72.45 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:56 pm

I know that there is some data to the effect that there are far less clubs falling over post salary cap than pre salary cap, but not sure to what extent this is correlation as opposed to causation.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:17 pm

jo172 wrote:I know that there is some data to the effect that there are far less clubs falling over post salary cap than pre salary cap, but not sure to what extent this is correlation as opposed to causation.

and contrary to popular belief, it was first proposed by country leagues because payments were getting out of hand

Gaza score today

$3,392
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:34 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
jo172 wrote:I know that there is some data to the effect that there are far less clubs falling over post salary cap than pre salary cap, but not sure to what extent this is correlation as opposed to causation.

and contrary to popular belief, it was first proposed by country leagues because payments were getting out of hand

Gaza score today

$3,392

Particularly given looking at objectives (a) to (d) and (f) at least in respect of the AdFL a combination of APPS and promotion and relegation go a reasonable way to achieving those objectives
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Gaza score today

$3,392

That's only going to get a couple of hours of legal counsel......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:54 am

Only in my opinion, however I also suspect an unspoken reason why salary caps are in place is to also keep the tax department at bay. I do find it interesting how blokes can knowingly can get paid $9-10k in traceable funds a year on top of their current earnings and not pay a cent in tax (In some cases much more as coach ect) - If that goes too big then you are giving the tax department a real good reason to get involved. Also, if you get too big you can leave yourself wide open to more interesting activities as we have seen in some cases with grass roots soccer across the country.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:15 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:

Only in my opinion, however I also suspect an unspoken reason why salary caps are in place is to also keep the tax department at bay. I do find it interesting how blokes can knowingly can get paid $9-10k in traceable funds a year on top of their current earnings and not pay a cent in tax (In some cases much more as coach ect) - If that goes too big then you are giving the tax department a real good reason to get involved. Also, if you get too big you can leave yourself wide open to more interesting activities as we have seen in some cases with grass roots soccer across the country.

Interesting discussion this

I was talking with an AdFL umpire at the pub and he said he gets taxed on his payment yet others say they dont.
My understanding was hobbies weren't taxable until the ATO deems them to no longer be a hobby (ie) you are earning regular good money. You also cant claim deductions (which is fair enough)
Anyone know for sure?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby S Demon » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

I was talking with an AdFL umpire at the pub and he said he gets taxed on his payment yet others say they dont.
My understanding was hobbies weren't taxable until the ATO deems them to no longer be a hobby (ie) you are earning regular good money. You also cant claim deductions (which is fair enough)
Anyone know for sure?

If he's getting taxed it probably means he's declaring the income
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby ThinkVision » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:16 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Interesting discussion this

Anyone know for sure?

I didn't umpire this year but did the five or six years prior. Definitely didn't get taxed and/or need to declare it at tax time, it was classed as a hobby. I highly doubt it changed this year.

It was only a few years back it changed to electronic payments and I think the only issue there for some was hiding the spending money from the home tax office 8) .
ThinkVision
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Trader » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:46 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Anyone know for sure?

The hobby rule used to be capped at $3k.
I think they changed that now, and it's more about the intent, it's wishy washy.
I think there is some line about if you're doing it for enjoyment (and happen to get money), then it's a hobby, but if you're doing it for the cash, then its clearly taxable.

I think they changed the rules when the 'gig' economy started to take off. Think Uber, airbnb, webcaming, etc. These are 'casual' forms of income, but all done for the purpose of earning money, more than the enjoyment of the activity.

I think sport umpiring is still a grey area.
I suspect if you're doing one game once a week, and paying tax on a regular job, then no worries.

If you're doing 4 games a weekend, and have no other source of income (or only minimal), then they'd be far more likely to rule it as your job and want you to pay tax on it.

*this is not financial advice and you should seek out an expert opinion*
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:25 pm

The other elephant in the room is that if it's taxable income then clubs ought to be considering super contributions, workcover etc.

If you wanted to wipe payment out of footy getting return to work chasing clubs would be one of the quickest ways because they can be ruthless.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Yank Man » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:26 pm

jo172 wrote:The other elephant in the room is that if it's taxable income then clubs ought to be considering super contributions, workcover etc.

If you wanted to wipe payment out of footy getting return to work chasing clubs would be one of the quickest ways because they can be ruthless.

Very interesting topic, you are right jo172 all that should be part of it. Back in the day when I was football director at Edwardstown all paid players received a group certificate and had to declare their earnings, and frankly most of them were earning the same as current day players. The upside was they were allowed to claim expenses. Times have changed obviously but what constitutes a ‘hobby’ and how much is free and not taxable.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Dinglinga75 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:00 pm

Surely Greg Griffin could do this pro bono. ... bit of a The Castle feel to it ... just hope Gaza have a photocopier that works
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:28 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:Surely Greg Griffin could do this pro bono. ... bit of a The Castle feel to it ... just hope Gaza have a photocopier that works

He does everything out of the goodness in his heart
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:42 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Dinglinga75 wrote:Surely Greg Griffin could do this pro bono. ... bit of a The Castle feel to it ... just hope Gaza have a photocopier that works

He does everything out of the goodness in his wallet

EFA
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League