Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:19 pm

The more I think about an amnesty the more I like it.

Imagine the prisoners dilemma. A player self-reports and the club doesn’t, the club is in the shitter, same vice-versa.

The rational course of action would be to self-report
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby redyellow&blue » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:28 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
DOC wrote:The lies comment was made by the C7 newsreader.

I did not hear him say that but he did say there was no proof. I assume he means no evidence presented to him just the result of the investigation

2020 in particular is a big year to reflect on given there were zero payments allowed. Just wonder how that’s reflected upon in these investigations.

I know of at least two clubs that paid during 2020.
redyellow&blue
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:41 pm

redyellow&blue wrote:
DOC wrote:The lies comment was made by the C7 newsreader.

I did not hear him say that but he did say there was no proof. I assume he means no evidence presented to him just the result of the investigation

2020 in particular is a big year to reflect on given there were zero payments allowed. Just wonder how that’s reflected upon in these investigations.

I know of at least two clubs that paid during 2020.

To win a COVID Cup? Why bother?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:08 am

jo172 wrote:The more I think about an amnesty the more I like it.

Imagine the prisoners dilemma. A player self-reports and the club doesn’t, the club is in the shitter, same vice-versa.

How are clubs like Gaza, Jervois, Kybybolite and Willaston meant to cop that amnesty then? They have already been charged and in the majority convicted.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby redyellow&blue » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:00 am

How are clubs like Gaza, Jervois, Kybybolite and Willaston meant to cop that amnesty then? They have already been charged and in the majority convicted.

The SACFL has been warning about this shit for years, come clean or when caught get smashed with fines and outcomes that will ruin you for a decade.
redyellow&blue
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:25 am

Footy Chick wrote:These are the kind of posts you hope to never have to type about a club in your competition and this is why we've waited until the inevitable was about to happen before posting (*unlike some outlets that brag about having a secret but we're not going to tell you :roll: )

Some time ago, it was reported that Gaza was under investigation for salary cap breaches, over a period of years.

It appears that the CFL will report today that Gaza have been found guilty of APPS breaches, and have copped some pretty heavy sanctions as a result.

We're talking fines of over $300k, will play with only 4 APPS points for the next 2 years (loss of 11 points) and several club administrators have been banned from taking official positions for periods of anywhere from 5-10 years. They have 7 days to dispute the result.

At this point, I'll also mention that if they work with authorities, there is the option that most of the fine can be suspended.

I'll post the official findings once they've been released.

Please be respectful with your discussion. Yes, they've done the wrong thing but there are also a lot of people at the club who were not involved, and will be feeling very nervous about the future of their club that celebrated 120 years in 2023.

Didn't do them much good
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby morell » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:32 am

I feel for the no doubt lots of good people that are involved at the Gaza football club

But

Fully support coming down as heavy as possible.

This needs to be about more than just one football club. Player payments in our sport is slowly sinking it. It's a massive problem and must be curtailed. It is a vicious cycle that results in clubs looking to remain competitive in the marketplace forking out more and more and more and more which then results in a consolidation of talent which then results in an imbalance across the competitions which then results in a lack of diversity and options for participation.

As much as it would hurt the Gaza football club, it's a decision that is ultimately healthy for the sport in general.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:38 am

mickey wrote:
Hector wrote:I'm just staggard that "amateur" clubs have this much money lying around that they can initially spend and then pay for when fined. I've never been part of a footy admin, would this be the financial situation of most clubs or would most just be happy having $10k in the bank?
Having only $10k in the bank would be diabolical for any sporting club. You would hope a club would have over $50k cash available and considerably more invested for future security

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
hahaha tell me you're out of touch without telling me you're out of touch

If we have $1 in the bank at the end of year we'll breathe a sigh of relief

Inb4 the blue blood privileged types prevalent on here post "run ya club better"
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:45 am

You can use that logic to say amnesties should never happen though.

Sometimes there is a benefit.

With the salary cap as a whole I think most would agree with the objectives set out in the appendix to the rules.

What I’m curious is whether the salary cap is achieving these objectives and to the extent it is whether it is proportionate. To test this we need data whereas at the moment it seems to be vibes and intuition
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:09 pm

Gaza President on 5AA this morning and completely denies the breaches, this is going to get ugly and can only see one loser sadly.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby mickey » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:27 pm

morell wrote:
mickey wrote:
Hector wrote:I'm just staggard that "amateur" clubs have this much money lying around that they can initially spend and then pay for when fined. I've never been part of a footy admin, would this be the financial situation of most clubs or would most just be happy having $10k in the bank?
Having only $10k in the bank would be diabolical for any sporting club. You would hope a club would have over $50k cash available and considerably more invested for future security

hahaha tell me you're out of touch without telling me you're out of touch

If we have $1 in the bank at the end of year we'll breathe a sigh of relief

Inb4 the blue blood privileged types prevalent on here post "run ya club better"
Out of touch my arse.... having been involved at committee/board level of numerous clubs across 4 sports over the last 20 years, i think I'm well and truly able to speak to the financials of amateur sporting clubs.

mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Happytowatchlocal » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:42 pm

I've been watching a bit of local footy over the years and talking to people at the grounds. Hills Div 1, GSFL and a few teams in the SFL are blatantly exceeding the cap. A good number of those teams are over the cap with their best 6.
Happytowatchlocal
Mini-League

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby redyellow&blue » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:Gaza President on 5AA this morning and completely denies the breaches, this is going to get ugly and can only see one loser sadly.

Obviously thinks he has the money to take the SACFL on.

I'm going to break out the popcorn.
redyellow&blue
Rookie

Postby Fricky » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:48 pm

SA lawyer Greg Griffin set to lead Gaza Football Club salary cap breach appeal
A local SA footy club is set to lodge an appeal over the coming days of a record penalty handed down by SANFL for alleged salary cap breaches dating back to 2018.
Division four Adelaide Footy League club Gaza has enlisted high-profile SA lawyer Greg Griffin as it prepares to lodge an appeal to SANFL after being charged with a number of salary cap breaches between 2018-2022.
The club received a state record $380,000 fine and a reduction in player and premiership points as a result.
Club president Don Rosella also received a 10-year suspension from holding any official role with a SANFL-affiliated club, while two other club officials received three years each.
Griffin said the club had evidence it did not breach community football salary cap rules and regulations and revealed details regarding the payment of a past player.
“There is serious dispute as to whether Gaza did anything wrong when it comes to salary cap,” Griffin said.
“The club vehemently objected to the transfer of a player to another club earlier this year after the player refused $4,000 which was loaned to him for personal reasons.
“The player then decided to treat it as a sign-on fee, but Gaza has evidence to the contrary and never treated it as anything other than an advance.
“This incident has been used as a main pillar of the breaches.”
Griffin said Gaza was confident an appeal would be successful but that he was sceptical of the SANFL’s appeal process.
“Gaza is confident and would not invest in this process unless there was a prospect of success,” he said.
“I have serious reservations about the process though and my grave concern is that the SANFL conducts the inquiry and determines the penalty but then you have to go to the SANFL to appeal their own decision.
“Why isn’t this going out to an independent person or body who can properly assess the situation?”
Gaza will hold a meeting on Sunday to determine how it will fund the appeal.
It is expected members of the public and club members and supporters will be able to provide a boost.
“These sorts of events usually galvanise clubs, particularly community clubs, and there’s people coming out of the woodwork who are willing to help,” Griffin said.
While Gaza has aired concerns a $380,000 fine would eradicate the club, SANFL chief Darren Chandler said the sporting body’s goal was not to wipe the club off of the map.
“This was an extensive investigation that went over a long period of time and that process is continuing, so our team will continue to work with Gaza,” Chandler told Triple M’s The Rush Hour.
“We’re certainly not in this to shut the doors of clubs but at the same time we want to make sure that all clubs throughout the state abide by the rules and regulations that are in place.
“If they reject the charges it will go to a tribunal but if not there will be a process we go through to make sure we get an appropriate outcome everyone is satisfied with.
“We’ll work with Gaza and let’s hope we can get an outcome that is appropriate … and we want to make sure we the club for many years to come.”
The club has 10 days left to officially lodge an appeal.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Shortman » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:54 pm

Fricky wrote:SA lawyer Greg Griffin set to lead Gaza Football Club salary cap breach appeal
A local SA footy club is set to lodge an appeal over the coming days of a record penalty handed down by SANFL for alleged salary cap breaches dating back to 2018.
Division four Adelaide Footy League club Gaza has enlisted high-profile SA lawyer Greg Griffin as it prepares to lodge an appeal to SANFL after being charged with a number of salary cap breaches between 2018-2022.
The club received a state record $380,000 fine and a reduction in player and premiership points as a result.
Club president Don Rosella also received a 10-year suspension from holding any official role with a SANFL-affiliated club, while two other club officials received three years each.
Griffin said the club had evidence it did not breach community football salary cap rules and regulations and revealed details regarding the payment of a past player.
“There is serious dispute as to whether Gaza did anything wrong when it comes to salary cap,” Griffin said.
“The club vehemently objected to the transfer of a player to another club earlier this year after the player refused $4,000 which was loaned to him for personal reasons.
“The player then decided to treat it as a sign-on fee, but Gaza has evidence to the contrary and never treated it as anything other than an advance.
Griffin said Gaza was confident an appeal would be successful but that he was sceptical of the SANFL’s appeal process.
“Gaza is confident and would not invest in this process unless there was a prospect of success,” he said.
“I have serious reservations about the process though and my grave concern is that the SANFL conducts the inquiry and determines the penalty but then you have to go to the SANFL to appeal their own decision.
“Why isn’t this going out to an independent person or body who can properly assess the situation?”
Gaza will hold a meeting on Sunday to determine how it will fund the appeal.
It is expected members of the public and club members and supporters will be able to provide a boost.
“These sorts of events usually galvanise clubs, particularly community clubs, and there’s people coming out of the woodwork who are willing to help,” Griffin said.
While Gaza has aired concerns a $380,000 fine would eradicate the club, SANFL chief Darren Chandler said the sporting body’s goal was not to wipe the club off of the map.
“This was an extensive investigation that went over a long period of time and that process is continuing, so our team will continue to work with Gaza,” Chandler told Triple M’s The Rush Hour.
“We’re certainly not in this to shut the doors of clubs but at the same time we want to make sure that all clubs throughout the state abide by the rules and regulations that are in place.
“If they reject the charges it will go to a tribunal but if not there will be a process we go through to make sure we get an appropriate outcome everyone is satisfied with.
“We’ll work with Gaza and let’s hope we can get an outcome that is appropriate … and we want to make sure we the club for many years to come.”
The club has 10 days left to officially lodge an appeal.

I actually hoped Gaza got a good result from this

But now, with that giant parasite heading up their legal fight I cant say I feel the same way. They'll end up just as broke paying for him
Shortman
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:57 pm

—————
Loaned!
:lol: :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:09 pm

Ah yes, the famous practice of loaning your best players substantial sums and only demanding repayment when they seek a clearance out.

Happens at every club
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:16 pm

jo172 wrote:Ah yes, the famous practice of loaning your best players substantial sums and only demanding repayment when they seek a clearance out.

Happens at every club

Until you get caught!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 am

amber_fluid wrote:“The club vehemently objected to the transfer of a player to another club earlier this year after the player refused $4,000 which was loaned to him for personal reasons.

—————
Loaned!
:lol: :lol:

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:16 am

Gaza aren't going to come out looking good if their defense is going to be they 'loaned' a player money.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League