RD 12 NORWOOD VS BAYS COOPERS STADIUM SAT 8/7 2:10PM

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: RD 12 NORWOOD VS BAYS COOPERS STADIUM SAT 8/7 2:10PM

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:17 am

Robedog wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Robedog wrote:Glenelg were good when it mattered and deserved the win. I don't feel like it was a 5 goal result if that makes sense. The decisions that baffled me were a soft high tackle to Glenelg early that resulted in a goal for too high, Tranfa was tough being caught htb and McBean kicked one in a ruck infringement in which he admitted that he didn't nominate for the ruck contest. He even kicked a goal that was obviously touched. I think that you'll find that some supporters were filthy stemming from the Saunders incident at the Bay earlier.For what it's worth, I respect McBean immensely, he speaks well and is a class act. Those other decisions that have been mentioned were correct against Norwood. Allen is also a gun player who i enjoy watching too.

Back in April :lol:

Sorry about the lack of humour with the incident way back in April, but you'll feel better knowing that the injury to Saunders has put him out for the rest of the season.

So booing the umpires and being hysterical whenever the opposition receive a free kick is because of a past incident?

They have behaved like that for years.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:41 am

Robedog wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Robedog wrote:Glenelg were good when it mattered and deserved the win. I don't feel like it was a 5 goal result if that makes sense. The decisions that baffled me were a soft high tackle to Glenelg early that resulted in a goal for too high, Tranfa was tough being caught htb and McBean kicked one in a ruck infringement in which he admitted that he didn't nominate for the ruck contest. He even kicked a goal that was obviously touched. I think that you'll find that some supporters were filthy stemming from the Saunders incident at the Bay earlier.For what it's worth, I respect McBean immensely, he speaks well and is a class act. Those other decisions that have been mentioned were correct against Norwood. Allen is also a gun player who i enjoy watching too.

Sorry about the lack of humour with the incident way back in April, but you'll feel better knowing that the injury to Saunders has put him out for the rest of the season.

I’d suggest there’s a chance he never plays again
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby norwood8 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:52 pm

Liam McBean was the big difference. Have heard him talk a few times now and he seems like a very impressive character to have at a footy club.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:02 pm

norwood8 wrote:Liam McBean was the big difference. Have heard him talk a few times now and he seems like a very impressive character to have at a footy club.

Spot on, his work off the field equally as impressive. He’s the best forward we’ve seen in the SANFL since Brant Chambers. IMO he’s Glenelg’s best recruit this century.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times

Postby mal » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:25 pm

The 2022 premiers gave it a crack, a very committed effort
The 2023 premiers matched the 2022 premiers intensity
The difference was that the 2023 premiers had better performed BIG players than the 2022 premiers
Mcbean who was almost unstoppable , whilst Pink was almost impassable for the 2023 premiers

A bit has been posted about the umpiring , with 5 being a pass mark, I give them a collective 7
I counted 15 decisions that might have been differently interpreted
Of the 15 decisions it was 8-7 in favour of one of the teams
As I barrack for one of the teams I wont say which team finished on 7

The margin was not a true indication - geez it didnt feel like a 30 point win by the 2023 premiers
Had the 2022 premiers converted better they should have lost by about15 points

The 2023 premiers are a great set up that includes Partington, Gerloff on the field and Douglas, Baulderstone off the field at the club
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:54 am

Spargo wrote:
norwood8 wrote:Liam McBean was the big difference. Have heard him talk a few times now and he seems like a very impressive character to have at a footy club.

Spot on, his work off the field equally as impressive. He’s the best forward we’ve seen in the SANFL since Brant Chambers. IMO he’s Glenelg’s best recruit this century.

From tomorrows fish wrap

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opi ... nkg5RtSuK8

My Two Cents: How a change of stripes ignited a career | Andrew Capel

In an AFL era where current SANFL players struggle for recognition, Glenelg’s triple Ken Farmer Medallist has defied the odds, writes Andrew Capel.
“He’s a phenomenal player, without question the best key forward in Australia outside the AFL.’’

With those words, Glenelg coach Darren Reeves summed up his triple Ken Farmer Medallist Liam McBean.

In an AFL era where current SANFL players struggle for recognition, the 202cm McBean is carving out a stellar state league career that is starting to put his name alongside club greats.

Glenelg is renowned for producing star goalkickers, including legendary SANFL full forwards Fred Phillis, who is the club’s all-time leading goalkicker with 869, Jack Owens (827) and Colin Churchett (556).

SANFL games record holder Peter Carey booted 521 goals in 448 games for the Tigers as a key forward/ruckman from 1971-88 while a young Stephen Kernahan tore up the local league, kicking 290 goals in 136 games from 1981-85 before joining AFL club Carlton and becoming a club great and an Australian Football Hall of Fame member.

With all due respect to McBean, he is no Carey, Phillis or Kernahan.

But he is taking on club legend status.

The former Richmond forward, who kicked only one goal in his five AFL matches strewn across two seasons in 2015-16 after being selected at pick 33 at the 2012 national draft from the Calder Cannons, last Saturday rose to equal-16th on Glenelg’s all-time goalkicker list.

His six goals against premier Norwood at The Parade took him to 255 in 105 games since making his SANFL league debut against Port Adelaide in round one, 2017, when he also booted six majors.

In the next few weeks he could leapfrog a handful of former Tigers stars, including Frank Burt (255), former captain and president Nick Chigwidden (257) and 1973 premiership heroes Rex Voigt and Neville Caldwell (258).

But the 28-year-old is more than just an ace goalsneak.

He is a heart and soul player who oozes selflessness.

“Liam is an incredible leader of men and people in general,’’ Reeves noted.

“His ability to get around everyone, whether you are a league footballer or playing your first game for the footy club, is his greatest strength.

“His football is outstanding but his ability to be able to connect is number one. He takes all the interstate boys out for tea or breakfast regularly, he runs our Thursday night dinner club and drives a lot of things that we are as a football club.

“And he’s the first one to celebrate someone else’s success.’’

McBean’s unselfishness was evident when he gifted former Eagle Connor McLeod his first Glenelg goal in his Tigers debut against Central District in round 11.

After darting around several opponents, McBean was running into an open goal when he noticed McLeod unmarked in the goalsquare and handpassed to him.
It has been the story of his Glenelg career.

While Reeves rates McBean as Australia’s best state league key forward, he has shunned the AFL in recent years, not nominating for the mid-season draft when there has been interest in him.

He has mixed feelings about his four years spent on Richmond’s list and is loving his work-life balance in the SANFL, pointing to a life-changing moment in 2018 when – after just one year at the Bay – he travelled overseas for five months with then teammate Brad Agnew before realising how much he missed the game.

“In my first year in the SANFL I was probably debating whether I wanted to have another go at the AFL,’’ McBean said.

“I was 22 and probably a bit bitter after being delisted, although I didn't hold a grudge towards Richmond, which went on to enjoy a very successful era.

“It was hard and I would have loved to have played more AFL games but at that stage of my life I probably wasn't mature enough to comprehend what it took to be a successful AFL player.
“When I went overseas I didn’t anticipate coming back to football but I found that little drive was still there and believed that I still had something to give the game.

“Upon returning to Australia I realised the AFL dream was no longer a motivating factor for me but I was at the crossroads and contemplated whether to go home to Melbourne and potentially play in the VFL and rebuild a life there.

“But I had built such great connections with people at Glenelg and felt it provided a stable environment for me to flourish and I wanted to help deliver it some deserved success.’’

The rest is history.

In his first year back, McBean helped Glenelg snap a 33-year premiership drought.

He won the first of three consecutive Ken Farmer Medals and last year captained the state team.

He has been in the Tigers leadership group for the past three years and relishes his work-life balance, which includes long-time partner Amber and working as manager of software and infrastructure at EGM Partners.

“I love the balance I now have in my life, it has brought the best out of me,’’ said McBean, who appropriately wears the prized No. 1 guernsey at Glenelg, which sits top this season with an 11-1 win-loss record.

“I would support anyone who wants to experience or re-live the AFL dream but it’s certainly not a priority for me.

“I feel indebted to Glenelg for what it’s done for me and want to help leave a legacy of success. It’s been a great journey so far and I can’t wait to see what’s to come.’’

When you recruit a player you hope to get a player who makes a difference on the field. You’re lucky if that happens 50% of the time

However if you get a player that makes a difference to your club on and off the field to make it better well that happens once in a generation if you’re lucky.

Liam McBean is the best recruit we’ve had since the Stringers/Gibbsy in 1983
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:44 am

mal wrote: , whilst Pink was almost impassable for the 2023 premiers

Good call. I had Pink as BOG myself. Thought he had his work cut out since Proud was away, and he stepped up to the challenge.

The 2023 premiers are a great set up that includes Partington, Gerloff on the field and Douglas, Baulderstone off the field at the club

When you want to be the best you have to learn from the best. ;)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby JK » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:25 pm

Gotta agree with the calls on McBean, star player without peer. I wouldn't know his contribution off-field to his club, but I always admire interstate recruits who come across with no prior allegiance, who not only contribute/star, but actually hang around for a lengthy period of time. Bays landed a ripper there.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Big Phil » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:33 pm

JK wrote:Gotta agree with the calls on McBean, star player without peer. I wouldn't know his contribution off-field to his club, but I always admire interstate recruits who come across with no prior allegiance, who not only contribute/star, but actually hang around for a lengthy period of time. Bays landed a ripper there.

This was the back bone of the Dogs' success in the 2000's...

A couple of twin brothers hung around for a while, which also helped ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:51 pm

They were 24 carat rolled gold recruits
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby mal » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:29 pm

am Bays wrote:They were 24 carat rolled gold recruits

Gold Bullion !
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Robedog » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:24 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Robedog wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

So booing the umpires and being hysterical whenever the opposition receive a free kick is because of a past incident?

They have behaved like that for years.

So, are you saying that Norwood members are the only supporters who carry on about umpires ? This coming from the same supported club who was quite upset over being sledged about 5 premierships and a dog act by one of your players ? Surely not.
Robedog
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby Spargo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:33 pm

You know you’ve got a team beat when their supporters start bringing up “how many premierships have you won”…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times

Postby stampy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:38 pm

Spargo wrote:You know you’ve got a team beat when their supporters start bringing up “how many premierships have you won”…

yep, spewing that tripe during the last qtr at the bay earlier this year lol, they think they are better than you are cos their team has won more flags, i dont get it, didnt upset me ffs :roll:
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:40 pm

The funny thing is, having heard the "four flags" taunt for more than 3 decades, I quite enjoy being reminded of the fifth flag. Hopefully the novelty of "five flags" hasn’t worn off by the time #6 comes around! 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL