Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby Zorro » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:02 pm

Spargo wrote:
RoosterMan wrote:Hostile Ashes crowd ‘worse than bikies and killers’

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/wor ... 4cc0096e30

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Paywall

Journalist Danielle Gusmaroli has covered riots, been teargassed and interviewed rapists, murderers and bikies, yet what she witnessed at the third Ashes test shook her. Read what happened

I’m not easily upset.

I’ve covered G8 summit riots and been tear-gassed and water-cannoned.

I have interviewed rapists, murderers and bikies, who have revealed unspeakable things to me.

I pride myself on my thick skin.

Yet after spending three days in Headingley’s Western Terrace — infamous for its raucousness and often violence — I concede I felt unnerved and intimidated.

The Barmy Army’s long standing default of labelling Australia cheats, even before Jonny Bairstow’s controversial stumping in the second Ashes Test at Lord’s, did not faze me.

But even Wonder Woman has her kryptonite.

The tipping point in the west side of Leeds ground that has hosted test cricket since 1899 came when the Barmy Army described an Aussie player — who I will not name — a “sex offender, a sex offender, a sex offender …”

Played on loop like an only-hits radio station, it was trolling at its nastiest and most litigious.

Yes, we all expect digs and jibes from impassioned supporters but this was next level.

Projectiles flew from the stands and the crowd hurled more abuse.

“Your mother takes it up the a***,” was one catch cry, targeted at a different Australian player.

“Travis gives good h**d,” they then spewed in a play on the middle-order batsman’s surname.

And “paedo” was hurled at another.

The worst behaviour I witnessed was on day three, after the game was delayed by nearly six hours because of rain.

Fans had returned from the pub, where they had killed time, glassy-eyed and unsteady on their feet for the start of play.

England fan Gareth Fare, 32, from north east Leicestershire, bleated “cheating Aussie bastards,” at players from the terrace front row before police ejected him from the stadium.

“Who have I offended?” he asked.

One of the three officers told him to apologise to the fans and leave.

“I apologised to the fans but I’m not saying sorry to the players — they’re out and out cheats,” he said, referring to the Bairstow incident.

He returned for the final day, stooping lower by ordering his friends to find as many cheating “Aussie bastards” as they could so they could call them a bunch of ‘wallaby shits’.

Let’s not forget, this came after England had won the third Test, at a time when they should be celebrating.

Earlier, former Australian skipper Steve Smith’s apparent pleas to the crowd to stop the pile-on fell on deaf ears.

Despite pressing his palms together, as if in prayer, the Barmy Army chanted “you’re no longer the captain,” in reference to the “sandpaper” cheating scandal in South Africa.

The language was caustic at times but it was more the aggression and venom with which it was delivered that offended.

I am British. These are me countrymen. It was shameful.

Former Australian cricket captain Kim Hughes, 69, told me at Leeds, “cricket fans have become more like football hooligans,” before chasing down a fan who asked him “is that your mistress you old c**t?
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:03 pm

Aerie wrote:Much better spectacle than Lords. A good pitch. We could've easily won, but so could've England the first two. 2-1 is fair enough. England played a bit smarter than they did the first two Tests. Hopefully we win a toss before the series is out.

My XI for 4th Test

Khawaja
Labuschagne
Head
Smith
Green
Marsh
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Murphy
Hazlewood

A bit of a reshuffle. I would take this line up into the Australian summer too - except Lyon back in when fit.

Can’t move Head, if there’s one thing working it’s Trav @ 5, leave that alone, I’m not a fan of Lab opening but he practically does anyway, he’s under achieving @ 3 so might as well try something.

I wouldn’t bother with Murphy, put Neser in there, he can bend the duke and is a handy pinch hitter. We need runs and their bowling is top shelf, they can bazball their way to chasing 250, try it chasing down 400+.

FWIW, I can’t see Davey getting dropped.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7936 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:57 pm

Khawaja first game back ton
Bison first game back ton
Marcus Harris first game back ?

I'd rather that than move a middle order bat to open however I'm in the anyone but Warner club atm.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 1446 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:40 am

Armchair expert wrote:Khawaja first game back ton
Bison first game back ton
Marcus Harris first game back ?

I'd rather that than move a middle order bat to open however I'm in the anyone but Warner club atm.

Sounds like Cummins could be part of that club too now
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:16 am

batmanbegins wrote:My word that was nerve racking last night. Good to see Brooky bat well, geez his dismissal made me almost lose my mind though. Was great to see two of the good guys in Wood and Woakes make such a big difference and basically win us the game. Wood since he came back in St Lucia a few years ago has just been rapid and is by far my favourite cricketer with his infectious attitude.

Woakes deserves a lot of credit and I underestimated him. Thought England were going back to the same old plonkers (which they have done in the past), and thought it would be an advantage to Australia but I was wrong.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:10 pm

Open with Marsh and Khawaja. Let the big bison play with freedom, Matty Hayden style. Green comes back into the side at 6. Agree with others here that Neser should get a run. Play 4 quicks if they're not going to use Murphy in the right way. That would also lengthen the tail immeasurably
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:12 pm

Woakes is a good player.
If Wood can stay fit and Broad keeps getting wickets then England's bowling looks a lot stronger.

Surely the Lab can finally get back to his best at old Trafford.
He's due a big one.
We can't have 2 of our top 6 be cheap wickets.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:16 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:My word that was nerve racking last night. Good to see Brooky bat well, geez his dismissal made me almost lose my mind though. Was great to see two of the good guys in Wood and Woakes make such a big difference and basically win us the game. Wood since he came back in St Lucia a few years ago has just been rapid and is by far my favourite cricketer with his infectious attitude.

Woakes deserves a lot of credit and I underestimated him. Thought England were going back to the same old plonkers (which they have done in the past), and thought it would be an advantage to Australia but I was wrong.

Woakes is and always has been a tremendous player in England, has better stats then Broad and Jimmy. He just should never play in Australia ever again with the red ball because watching him bowl to Smith with the Kookaburra ball is tortuous.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:52 pm

cokadonkeytoo wrote:Open with Marsh and Khawaja. Let the big bison play with freedom, Matty Hayden style. Green comes back into the side at 6. Agree with others here that Neser should get a run. Play 4 quicks if they're not going to use Murphy in the right way. That would also lengthen the tail immeasurably

Shorten the tail don’t you mean?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:14 pm

Warner will play, ACB and selectors still shaking in their boots.

He should be told straight out, you fail this test, it's your last for Australia but they wont

He will be there until his well stated departure in Sydney
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3723 times
Been liked: 1175 times

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:34 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
cokadonkeytoo wrote:Open with Marsh and Khawaja. Let the big bison play with freedom, Matty Hayden style. Green comes back into the side at 6. Agree with others here that Neser should get a run. Play 4 quicks if they're not going to use Murphy in the right way. That would also lengthen the tail immeasurably

Shorten the tail don’t you mean?

Ahhh yep. My mistake
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:24 pm

England's squad will remain unchanged for the first test.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/jonn ... ad-1386786
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10355 times
Been liked: 1522 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:39 pm

Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 1446 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:58 pm

tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:00 am

Apparently Maxwell isn’t contracted to play red ball cricket for Warwickshire and yet CA requested him to play. Wonder what that means
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:55 am

Jim05 wrote:
Apparently Maxwell isn’t contracted to play red ball cricket for Warwickshire and yet CA requested him to play. Wonder what that means

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:36 am

Jim05 wrote:
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/glenn-maxwell-warwickshire-first-class-debut-county-england-australia-ashes-allrounder/2023-07-11
Glenn Maxwell made a rare first-class appearance overnight but a mid-Ashes Test recall does not appear to be on the cards for the dynamo allrounder.

Playing in a red-ball match for just the second time in almost four years, Maxwell had a quiet debut day in the whites for Warwickshire, sending down five wicketless overs before watching his side reach 2-155 in reply to Kent's 171 all out.

It marks the 34-year-old's final match for the Edgbaston-based club after they were knocked out of England's domestic T20 Blast tournament last week.

Having also been withdrawn the upcoming Hundred competition, Maxwell will fly home ahead of a busy period of international white-ball cricket which includes the ODI World Cup in India in October-November.

Maxwell is not believed to be in Australia's thinking for the ongoing Ashes campaign despite Nathan Lyon's place in the Test squad left vacant after the star off-spinner was ruled out of the series with a calf injury.

Todd Murphy performed credibly on Ashes debut in Australia's three-wicket defeat at Headingley last week.

The 22-year-old, who dismissed Ben Stokes in the first innings before only being called on to bowl two final-day overs, is the only spinner left in the squad.

Four-Test leggie Mitchell Swepson, whose match for Glamorgan alongside Michael Neser saw its opening day washed out on Monday, is the other option Australia could conceivably turn to if they needed further spin reinforcements.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10355 times
Been liked: 1522 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby carey » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:41 am

They won't drop Warner.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2810 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 am

Bring Green in for Murphy and bat Carey at 8 followed by 3 quicks.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1217 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mots02 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:50 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Bring Green in for Murphy and bat Carey at 8 followed by 3 quicks.

Yep, this.

We need to score runs, Eng will bazball their way chasing any target less than 300, willing to ride their luck along the way.

It works on smaller targets but wont on a big chase.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket