COVID

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: COVID

Postby Alex » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:29 pm

I love the SANFL and want it to be successful as the main priority. I genuinely don't understand how it can make more money thus ensuring its viability without the $400k from the crows coming in though. I hate that the AFL is in the comp to begin with but that damage is now done and I can't see crowds ever increasing from here. The SANFL without a magpies side for everyone to hate/love is just bland.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby arcadefire » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:19 pm

Alex wrote:I love the SANFL and want it to be successful as the main priority. I genuinely don't understand how it can make more money thus ensuring its viability without the $400k from the crows coming in though. I hate that the AFL is in the comp to begin with but that damage is now done and I can't see crowds ever increasing from here. The SANFL without a magpies side for everyone to hate/love is just bland.

No one gives a s**t about the power reserves
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Alex » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 pm

arcadefire wrote:
Alex wrote:I love the SANFL and want it to be successful as the main priority. I genuinely don't understand how it can make more money thus ensuring its viability without the $400k from the crows coming in though. I hate that the AFL is in the comp to begin with but that damage is now done and I can't see crowds ever increasing from here. The SANFL without a magpies side for everyone to hate/love is just bland.

No one gives a s**t about the power reserves

You wouldn't think that given the amount of complaining about them and relishing in any misfortune for them that goes on here. I also am sure they draw bigger crowds than some other SANFL teams.
Alex

Postby Pseudo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:43 pm

The SANFL has been without a magpies team for 7 years. In that time, the only blandness has been the occasional practice match mixed in amongst the games between dinkum SANFL teams.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Alex » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:21 pm

Pseudo wrote:

The SANFL has been without a magpies team for 7 years. In that time, the only blandness has been the occasional practice match mixed in amongst the games between dinkum SANFL teams.

The situation is disappointing but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be the team with the least interest in them and thus considered most bland using average crowd numbers from 2019 as an objective measure of interest level.
Alex

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:53 am

But this hatred toward the black & white is completely different,
we hated the real Maggies because they used to beat us a lot,
we hate this maggies because it's not the old Maggies, they're long dead & gone, we hate this mob for the many legitimate reasons that we've been through a multitude of times on this forum.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:56 am

"The SANFL without a magpies side for everyone to hate/love is just bland.[/quote]"
Maybe the PAFC shouldn't have got rid of them then.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:01 am

The SANFL doesn’t need the AFL sides to remain a viable competition, but it does need cooperation from the AFL.

Unfortunately, the AFL has been so blinkered.

My 6 year old daughter just started to really enjoy going to the football last season. I took her to a couple of Crows games and a couple of Eagles games. She liked both, but enjoyed the freedom of the Eagles games most of all. So that is what we’ll do this season. It is more affordable and more fun. It is also of a good standard to enjoy watching. I’ll also be able to bring my toddler and meet up with friends and family at the footy in any spot we like. Likely on the hill at Woodville Oval, where the kids can run around all day. Perhaps an introduction to our great game, that will see her participate and support the game in the future.

Sitting still for 3 hours at Adelaide Oval doesn’t necessarily do that.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:10 am

Aerie wrote:The SANFL doesn’t need the AFL sides to remain a viable competition, but it does need cooperation from the AFL.

Unfortunately, the AFL has been so blinkered.

My 6 year old daughter just started to really enjoy going to the football last season. I took her to a couple of Crows games and a couple of Eagles games. She liked both, but enjoyed the freedom of the Eagles games most of all. So that is what we’ll do this season. It is more affordable and more fun. It is also of a good standard to enjoy watching. I’ll also be able to bring my toddler and meet up with friends and family at the footy in any spot we like. Likely on the hill at Woodville Oval, where the kids can run around all day. Perhaps an introduction to our great game, that will see her participate and support the game in the future.

Sitting still for 3 hours at Adelaide Oval doesn’t necessarily do that.

Totally agree, attend SANFL games but rarely AFL at AO and when I do it's only occasionally given the family supports non SA teams. It's just better on tv at this point and support the local games in person.
Alex

Postby RB » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:12 am

Alex wrote:I love the SANFL and want it to be successful as the main priority. I genuinely don't understand how it can make more money thus ensuring its viability without the $400k from the crows coming in though.

I'm not sure that $50k each is such a big portion of club revenue that the league can't exist without it. The various revenue streams the clubs benefit from have been discussed at length on this forum.

However, the point a number of us made back in 2013 is that the fact that there is a Crows/Power reserves team in the league is a big barrier to the dinkum clubs recruiting new supporters. It's likely that most kids will be exposed to the Crows and Power before the SANFL. Much easier to get them interested in one of the sovereign SANFL clubs if they're not competing with the Crows/Power.

Alex wrote:I hate that the AFL is in the comp to begin with but that damage is now done and I can't see crowds ever increasing from here. The SANFL without a magpies side for everyone to hate/love is just bland.

Actually, the competition last season - i.e. absent the 'Magpies' - was praised as being one of the best spectacles in a long time. Notwithstanding the difficulties associated with COVID-19, the impression received both from on here and in most media coverage is that the 2020 season was a roaring success, and anything but bland.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:16 am

gazzamagoo wrote:

But this hatred toward the black & white is completely different,
we hated the real Maggies because they used to beat us a lot,
we hate this maggies because it's not the old Maggies, they're long dead & gone, we hate this mob for the many legitimate reasons that we've been through a multitude of times on this forum.

You still hate them though, that is the point. What happened in 2013 was shameful but almost every club is to blame and all you can do is accept what currently is.
Alex

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:22 am

RB wrote:
Alex wrote:I love the SANFL and want it to be successful as the main priority. I genuinely don't understand how it can make more money thus ensuring its viability without the $400k from the crows coming in though.

I'm not sure that $50k each is such a big portion of club revenue that the league can't exist without it. The various revenue streams the clubs benefit from have been discussed at length on this forum.

However, the point a number of us made back in 2013 is that the fact that there is a Crows/Power reserves team in the league is a big barrier to the dinkum clubs recruiting new supporters. It's likely that most kids will be exposed to the Crows and Power before the SANFL. Much easier to get them interested in one of the sovereign SANFL clubs if they're not competing with the Crows/Power.

Alex wrote:I hate that the AFL is in the comp to begin with but that damage is now done and I can't see crowds ever increasing from here. The SANFL without a magpies side for everyone to hate/love is just bland.

Actually, the competition last season - i.e. absent the 'Magpies' - was praised as being one of the best spectacles in a long time. Notwithstanding the difficulties associated with COVID-19, the impression received both from on here and in most media coverage is that the 2020 season was a roaring success, and anything but bland.

Ok you actually make a bloody good point about getting kids interested in the real teams when competing against the crows reserves. I don't think it would be a big deal with Port though. As you said kids are exposed to crows and power first. A kid interested in the power was likely to align to the magpies anyway.
Alex

Postby RB » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:24 am

Alex wrote:all you can do is accept what currently is.

Yeah, or you can point out the utter stupidity of the decision to admit them, maintain your support for getting rid of them, highlight the negative effects they have on the league, point out the benefits of not having them in, à la the successful 2020 season, and outline how a future SANFL without the cancers would operate.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:35 am

RB wrote:
Alex wrote:all you can do is accept what currently is.

Yeah, or you can point out the utter stupidity of the decision to admit them, maintain your support for getting rid of them, highlight the negative effects they have on the league, point out the benefits of not having them in, à la the successful 2020 season, and outline how a future SANFL without the cancers would operate.

Exactly!
Why should I, or anyone else that loves the way the SANFL was, have to just cave in & "accept what currently is"
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:03 pm

Took my 6 year old to the crows AFLW game today. She initiated the conversation of do the Crows ever play the Eagles. Well, as a matter of fact ... they do, I explained. So, it doesn’t matter who wins that game? she says. Well, no, we hope the Eagles win and don’t like the Crows Reserves, I say. She went on to something else, likely thinking adults are so stupid!
Aerie
Coach

Postby stan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:21 pm

Aerie wrote:Took my 6 year old to the crows AFLW game today. She initiated the conversation of do the Crows ever play the Eagles. Well, as a matter of fact ... they do, I explained. So, it doesn’t matter who wins that game? she says. Well, no, we hope the Eagles win and don’t like the Crows Reserves, I say. She went on to something else, likely thinking adults are so stupid!
I love the thought process of kids.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 am

Aerie wrote:Took my 6 year old to the crows AFLW game today. She initiated the conversation of do the Crows ever play the Eagles. Well, as a matter of fact ... they do, I explained. So, it doesn’t matter who wins that game? she says. Well, no, we hope the Eagles win and don’t like the Crows Reserves, I say. She went on to something else, likely thinking adults are so stupid!

Next question by your confused 6 year old will be, why aren't there any girls playing in the Crows reserves
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:59 am

gazzamagoo wrote:

Next question by your confused 6 year old will be, why aren't there any girls playing in the Crows reserves

Haha. Took her down the Bay to Eagles vs Glenelg League game last year and the women were playing afterwards. She saw them warming up near where we were sitting. After a strong Eagles mens victory, we started walking out the ground, just got outside the gates and she says, why are we leaving now and not watching the girls? I could not think of a good excuse, so back in to the ground to watch the first quarter, before she was finally ready to concede.
Aerie
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 am

southernbulldog wrote:Last season showed we dont need them

Good sample size you've used to support your argument.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tipper » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:02 am

Booney wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Last season showed we dont need them

Good sample size you've used to support your argument.

better than the sample size the crows used when they claimed they would get 4k crowds to their reserve games

and better than the sample size used when the reserve sides were introduced and we were told it was going to be a good thing...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL