AFL 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2021

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
RB wrote:
Booney wrote:Instead of trying to facilitate higher scoring and coaches out smarting the rules simply incentivise scoring. Bonus point for 120 points, whatever that may be.

I think Daisy's actually advocated for a bonus point system in the past.

Great minds...

#sameperson

We're not, but it was one of the things we discussed at our monthly catch up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:38 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
RB wrote:
Booney wrote:Instead of trying to facilitate higher scoring and coaches out smarting the rules simply incentivise scoring. Bonus point for 120 points, whatever that may be.

I think Daisy's actually advocated for a bonus point system in the past.

Great minds...

#sameperson

Which one is Jekyll and which is Hyde :-?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby UK Fan » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:23 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:The rules are actually a good change, not being able to move laterally will quicken the game up a lot, it will encourage the inside corridor kick and attacking play plus hopefully reduce the down the line bomb to a pack.

Every f*cking rule introduced every f*cking year is designed to quicken the game up, encourage attacking play, increase scoring and it's done f*ck all to helping any of that.

666, not kicking to yourself from full back to play on, protected zone, third man up etc etc et f*cking c.

Year Average score
2019 80.4
2018 83.5
2017 89.5
2016 88.8
2015 86.6
2014 86.5
2013 92.8
2012 92.1
2011 93
2010 90.5

Instead of trying to facilitate higher scoring and coaches out smarting the rules simply incentivise scoring. Bonus point for 120 points, whatever that may be.

Have said that for years. Unless the coaches have an incentive to score more nothing will change.

The Percentage system rewards lower scoring.

Power beat Bombers 110 to 90

Freo beat Dees 70 to 50.

Who gets the higher %.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:26 am

If you like the current game of team bombing the ball down the line or kicking the ball into the pocket when attacking then you will be disappointed with the new rules, if you want attacking footy with clubs taking the game on then the lateral rule will definitely help the game.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:34 am

Dutchy wrote:If you like the current game of team bombing the ball down the line or kicking the ball into the pocket when attacking then you will be disappointed with the new rules, if you want attacking footy with clubs taking the game on then the lateral rule will definitely help the game.

Isn't that what they said about all the other rules they've implemented?

The biggest blight on attacking footy is numbers behind the ball, once upon a time forwards stayed forward, half forwards ventured all the way up to the wing and there was room to move. The only way to stop that would be to implement a half way line and I don't want to see that, just another rule they think might work.

And do you think coaching groups aren't already working on plans to address that movement?

Anyway, as long as Richmond keep playing scramble forward rugby the game will look shit, luckily their time is coming to an end and Port, Brisbane and Geelong are playing far more attractive footy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:38 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:If you like the current game of team bombing the ball down the line or kicking the ball into the pocket when attacking then you will be disappointed with the new rules, if you want attacking footy with clubs taking the game on then the lateral rule will definitely help the game.

The biggest blight on attacking footy is numbers behind the ball, once upon a time forwards stayed forward, half forwards ventured all the way up to the wing and there was room to move. The only way to stop that would be to implement a half way line and I don't want to see that, just another rule they think might work.

And do you think coaching groups aren't already working on plans to address that movement?

Anyway, as long as Richmond keep playing scramble forward rugby the game will look shit, luckily their time is coming to an end and Port, Brisbane and Geelong are playing far more attractive footy.

Really? I thought their precision and our inability to hit a target by foot or hand was the difference in the prelim last season, we should've won, just lacked polish.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:42 am

I haven't agreed with the other rules, having coached with the 6/6/6 rule it is very easy to overcome.

Agree coaches will look at ways to defend these new rules, but some will also look how to exploit them. e.g. the inside handball from a mark/free kick will be much harder to defend. I can see it encouraging teams to play quickly.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Really? I thought their precision and our inability to hit a target by foot or hand was the difference in the prelim last season, we should've won, just lacked polish.

That's the pressure they apply, in the main they move the ball forward at any costs or in any manner and it's very successful but it's not pretty to watch.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:29 pm

Not sure where to stick this but I had the pleasure of listening to the AFL Boundary Umpire Coach "Darren Wilson" guest speak at an umpires seminar last night.

His journey was pretty amazing as was the fact he boundary umpired 12 AFL Grand Finals in succession, the first few using only two boundary umpires, with a 3 boundary umpire system they used to run around 22kms per game, most of it was "hard running" too.

As a basic requirement an AFL boundary umpire must run 5kms in under 18.15 minutes (most do closer to 15 mins), they work on an 18-22 metre ball drop when throwing it in, if the ruckmen choose to start their run further away, it's their problem.

Sorry if no one cares, just thought I'd share.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Always good to hear from elite sports people mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Personally I don't mind a 10 goal to 9 tough game of footy.
I want to see blokes execute good skills under pressure.
Not uncontested end to end basketball fest.

You're all buying into the afl wanting more ad revenue.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby MW » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:56 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Not sure where to stick this but I had the pleasure of listening to the AFL Boundary Umpire Coach "Darren Wilson" guest speak at an umpires seminar last night.

His journey was pretty amazing as was the fact he boundary umpired 12 AFL Grand Finals in succession, the first few using only two boundary umpires, with a 3 boundary umpire system they used to run around 22kms per game, most of it was "hard running" too.

As a basic requirement an AFL boundary umpire must run 5kms in under 18.15 minutes (most do closer to 15 mins),
they work on an 18-22 metre ball drop when throwing it in, if the ruckmen choose to start their run further away, it's their problem.

Being an avid runner, about 5 years ago I entertained the thought and this criteria put an end to that quick smart. My quickest 5km is flat 20 and I thought I was doing well!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:04 pm

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Not sure where to stick this but I had the pleasure of listening to the AFL Boundary Umpire Coach "Darren Wilson" guest speak at an umpires seminar last night.

As a basic requirement an AFL boundary umpire must run 5kms in under 18.15 minutes (most do closer to 15 mins),
they work on an 18-22 metre ball drop when throwing it in, if the ruckmen choose to start their run further away, it's their problem.

Being an avid runner, about 5 years ago I entertained the thought and this criteria put an end to that quick smart. My quickest 5km is flat 20 and I thought I was doing well!

Just asked my boss whose kids do a lot of running, triathlon etc, his 16 year old son has done a 18:55 5k so when I told him that's close to what would be AFL standard boundary umpiring he got all puffy chested.

Then I said to him he'll need to do that every half hour for 2 hours.

Oh.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:07 pm

Booney wrote:
Just asked my boss whose kids do a lot of running, triathlon etc, his 16 year old son has done a 18:55 5k so when I told him that's close to what would be AFL standard boundary umpiring he got all puffy chested.

Then I said to him he'll need to do that every half hour for 2 hours.

Oh.

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

Then after that he only has to be able to lob the ball in to land 18+ metres for a solid 2 hours in between sprints.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:09 pm

MW wrote:

That's still a pretty decent time mate, you're no spring chicken either hey?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:19 pm

Booney wrote:

I've heard a few time now that their time is coming to an end and that is wishful thinking. As long as they have Dusty they will remain a force. The defence is automated, they have two big marking forwards and don't even need a decent ruckman to win three premierships. Port and Geelong have beaten them when they've had injured blokes and Brisbane has beaten once in what, a dozen years? Agree about Richmond Union but unfortunately it's still the most successful game in town.

Seeing as I'm so consistently wrong I can't possibly put on a better mocker than this. It's up to you now boys!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm

Richmond scrum is similar to Crows in the early 00s

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby MW » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:

45 yrs old.
Mind you I havent been close to that time since about 42...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 pm

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:

45 yrs old.
Mind you I havent been close to that time since about 42...

Still, I'm aiming at 7km under 40 mins LOL.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:

I've heard a few time now that their time is coming to an end and that is wishful thinking. As long as they have Dusty they will remain a force. The defence is automated, they have two big marking forwards and don't even need a decent ruckman to win three premierships. Port and Geelong have beaten them when they've had injured blokes and Brisbane has beaten once in what, a dozen years? Agree about Richmond Union but unfortunately it's still the most successful game in town.

Seeing as I'm so consistently wrong I can't possibly put on a better mocker than this. It's up to you now boys!

regards,

REB

They're making a mockery of the free agency as players will go there for less for the chance of playing in a premiership team.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL