PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:52 am

The Bedge wrote:Umpiring is a tough gig, and i appreciate these guys are giving up their Saturdays to have a crack at it - no umpires no games and all that.. but when you're earning $130 a week and umpiring one of the higher grades, then you need to be held to account, and there is an expectation to uphold a standard.

If an umpire cant maintain standards, how can they control a game?

Yeah agree.

Whilst I love not having to umpire ive found the self umpiring we have up here has been of a higher standard then the majority pdca umpires I encountered. Some absolute doozies in PDCA. Love being given out LBW with the ball pitching a foot outside leg stump to be told 'I don't agree with that rule'. I don't think ill ever get over it. Whilst cross bat is village as not every cross bat shot that hits your pads is LBW either, it still has to be hitting the stumps lol.

At least self umpired you had an expectation that unless it was plumb it wasn't going to be give. Also every single person up here walks on edges so that's not an issue.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:16 pm

The Bedge wrote:Umpiring is a tough gig, and i appreciate these guys are giving up their Saturdays to have a crack at it - no umpires no games and all that.. but when you're earning $130 a week and umpiring one of the higher grades, then you need to be held to account, and there is an expectation to uphold a standard.

$26 an hour on a Saturday afternoon is hardly going to buy you a house in Medindie, there is no real fair price for these blokes to stand out there in what is often high temperature and you have to be on the ball every deliver of the afternoon.

I get your gripe though, it is frustrating when you bust your arse off and feel as though you've been ripped off and we all fee as though we've had more go against us than go our way.

If you're going to do a job, do it properly and with enthusiasm, errors are more accepted when you show some interest and give explanations, players and captains tend to remember more positive attributes of umpires than the negatives when they have some personality. Running Dave, Super and some past past ones like Finnie, Les, Tez and Brian Bullen were all well respected as they were good talkers.

The PDCA has produced many good umpires over the years, it is bloody hard to keep them coming back though, an afternoon on the punt with a few beers seems far more appealing, or going out to ATCA or district where the money is better and more chance of washouts with pay.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

$26 an hour on a Saturday afternoon is hardly going to buy you a house in Medindie, there is no real fair price for these blokes to stand out there in what is often high temperature and you have to be on the ball every deliver of the afternoon.

I get your gripe though, it is frustrating when you bust your arse off and feel as though you've been ripped off and we all fee as though we've had more go against us than go our way.

If you're going to do a job, do it properly and with enthusiasm, errors are more accepted when you show some interest and give explanations, players and captains tend to remember more positive attributes of umpires than the negatives when they have some personality. Running Dave, Super and some past past ones like Finnie, Les, Tez and Brian Bullen were all well respected as they were good talkers.

The PDCA has produced many good umpires over the years, it is bloody hard to keep them coming back though, an afternoon on the punt with a few beers seems far more appealing, or going out to ATCA or district where the money is better and more chance of washouts with pay.

Yeah agree about showing enthusiasm.

As you mentioned the likes of running dave, super, les Harrison, Jon Lind, TJ were great umpires, you knew if they made a mistake (or you thought they did) it wasn't for a lack of concentration or not understanding the rules it was simply the way they saw it. Even someone like Frank Brown I could even handle because he was genuinely trying his absolute best albeit there were some absolute stinkers.

Sadly though its the ones that you have to back away from the bowler running in because the ump is talking to the non striker or umps who deliberately disregard to the rules of the game that piss you off, even had one rock up and talk about how hungover they were from the night before.
whufc
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:29 pm

whufc wrote:

Yeah agree.

Whilst I love not having to umpire ive found the self umpiring we have up here has been of a higher standard then the majority pdca umpires I encountered. Some absolute doozies in PDCA. Love being given out LBW with the ball pitching a foot outside leg stump to be told 'I don't agree with that rule'. I don't think ill ever get over it. Whilst cross bat is village as not every cross bat shot that hits your pads is LBW either, it still has to be hitting the stumps lol.

At least self umpired you had an expectation that unless it was plumb it wasn't going to be give. Also every single person up here walks on edges so that's not an issue.

Read the above with much interest - & while its not PDCA related, its kind of relevant.

As an older guy, now playing in the lower grades, I am experiencing the self umpiring now much more.

In my younger days, I'd pay my ump fee's so bugger it, I wasn't walking if I knicked one. The penguin can make that call. That said I had my share of "ordinary" calls by paid umps over the journey! Got away with a couple too...

On Saturday my team batted first, and I am opening the dig. I knick one about 5th ball, tuck the bat under my arm walk off & think...... well that made for a long day.... wonder what's running in the 2nd at Caulfield?

Our inning continues, and skip wanders out to bat at 5..... 1st seed he is struck from what even looked from square on, fairly adjacent....our bloke (umpiring) stuck the finger up (as he should) and skip was gonski.

Their turn to bat ( a team of sub-continentals) and about 4th over, bloke plays back is hit on the shin, and its only going to knock over middle. I field at slip, and I really don't appeal all that often. It's a waste of energy, particularly when you get the feeling..... this mob aren't going to give them. Anyway the whole lot of us are up..... nothing from old mate umpiring..... a further enquiry..... not out. Skip wanders over and makes a polite enquiry as to what it was missing. Nothing says old mate..... he hit it....... FFS the blokes bat was in another postcode when he was rapped on the pads.

I did a bit of research yesterday..... this team, umpiring themselves, and sitting 2nd on the ladder are yet to give an LBW all season. The average across all other teams is 3-4 so far. I'm sure we all don't give the close-ish ones..... but the dead set plum ones.... seriously if it's out, give it.

I take delight in knowing this team of flogs will get a shock come finals, when they get neutral umps, who will give LBW's, and all of a sudden their tail enders who have seldom batted, come in under pressure. Seen it all before.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:34 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Read the above with much interest - & while its not PDCA related, its kind of relevant.

As an older guy, now playing in the lower grades, I am experiencing the self umpiring now much more.

In my younger days, I'd pay my ump fee's so bugger it, I wasn't walking if I knicked one. The penguin can make that call. That said I had my share of "ordinary" calls by paid umps over the journey! Got away with a couple too...

On Saturday my team batted first, and I am opening the dig. I knick one about 5th ball, tuck the bat under my arm walk off & think...... well that made for a long day.... wonder what's running in the 2nd at Caulfield?

Our inning continues, and skip wanders out to bat at 5..... 1st seed he is struck from what even looked from square on, fairly adjacent....our bloke (umpiring) stuck the finger up (as he should) and skip was gonski.

Their turn to bat ( a team of sub-continentals) and about 4th over, bloke plays back is hit on the shin, and its only going to knock over middle. I field at slip, and I really don't appeal all that often. It's a waste of energy, particularly when you get the feeling..... this mob aren't going to give them. Anyway the whole lot of us are up..... nothing from old mate umpiring..... a further enquiry..... not out. Skip wanders over and makes a polite enquiry as to what it was missing. Nothing says old mate..... he hit it....... FFS the blokes bat was in another postcode when he was rapped on the pads.

I did a bit of research yesterday..... this team, umpiring themselves, and sitting 2nd on the ladder are yet to give an LBW all season. The average across all other teams is 3-4 so far. I'm sure we all don't give the close-ish ones..... but the dead set plum ones.... seriously if it's out, give it.

I take delight in knowing this team of flogs will get a shock come finals, when they get neutral umps, who will give LBW's, and all of a sudden their tail enders who have seldom batted, come in under pressure. Seen it all before.

Kind of easier and makes more sense to bat 2nd against these types.

We used to have a bloke in our team that if you batted him low and it looked like he wasn't gonna get a hit, he'd fire his team mates out to make sure he did, we worked out that it was easier to open the batting with him as he'd get out for f*** all, storm off the ground and umpire the rest of the innings and not give a thing because they were all cheats.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Kind of easier and makes more sense to bat 2nd against these types.

We used to have a bloke in our team that if you batted him low and it looked like he wasn't gonna get a hit, he'd fire his team mates out to make sure he did, we worked out that it was easier to open the batting with him as he'd get out for f*** all, storm off the ground and umpire the rest of the innings and not give a thing because they were all cheats.

First time I had come up against these blokes, however chatting with others in our team they have a reputation.

Years ago had an ump up in the hills, who was unlikely to give anyone out early in the day..... but come about 5.00pm, he'd be getting thirsty, and the pistol would come out of the pocket...... all out by 6.00pm, most weeks with that bloke!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Yeah we are fortunate in that im yet to play any team up here who seem to be deliberately not giving anything.

On the odd occasion I've got a wicket from an lbw that I thought, geez if that was me umpiring im probably not given it. :D

I've always been a non walker having always played with umps, it has taken me a bit to get use to walking with the natural instinct to stand and wait.

A couple of weeks ago I got the thinnest of edges to the keeper of a real young leg spinner last ball before drinks. Being as passionate about my cricket as I am and wanting to succeed it took all my energy to tuck the bat under the arms and walk, I don't think many umpires would have given it.

Once I took the pads off and got over the fact I got out to a 16 year old last ball before drinks it actually felt pretty good to walk and acknowledge a good ball that beat me fairly. The kid was stoked to get the wicket and it really made his day, apparently he hadn't had much luck this season.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:08 pm

When umpiring like everyone else Id only give an LB if there was absolutely no way you couldn't give it out, back and across and below the roll.

I umpired my lads u14 game a couple of weeks back and with the other umpire we agreed on the above rule, of course my lad comes on to bowl from my end and gets one absolutely plumb but I couldn't bring myself to fire the kid, the added pressure of giving your son a wicket was much more than giving any team mate out.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:When umpiring like everyone else Id only give an LB if there was absolutely no way you couldn't give it out, back and across and below the roll.

I umpired my lads u14 game a couple of weeks back and with the other umpire we agreed on the above rule, of course my lad comes on to bowl from my end and gets one absolutely plumb but I couldn't bring myself to fire the kid, the added pressure of giving your son a wicket was much more than giving any team mate out.

Yep, there's two types of parent, one that wants to umpire his own kids end, and one that doesn't.

Travis Head's old man was an absolute shocker when it came to umpiring Travis' games, there was a real strong rivalry between us and them, my nephew was bowled while he was umpiring and he cheered, it was really pathetic, I never liked the guy from that moment on but have all the time in the world for Travis.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:When umpiring like everyone else Id only give an LB if there was absolutely no way you couldn't give it out, back and across and below the roll.

Yep, there's two types of parent, one that wants to umpire his own kids end, and one that doesn't.

Travis Head's old man was an absolute shocker when it came to umpiring Travis' games, there was a real strong rivalry between us and them, my nephew was bowled while he was umpiring and he cheered, it was really pathetic, I never liked the guy from that moment on but have all the time in the world for Travis.

I know what you mean. There used to be a local rule, that parents "should not" umpire from the end their child is bowling. I was lucky, my bloke, in the main was a keeper. Playing a mob one day, son bowling, dad umpiring and I could see he wasn't prepared to give blokes out. So I suggested we swap ends...... he said yeah no problem.... and thanked me, as he didn't want to be seen favouring his own kid.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Credit where due.. umpiring was huge improvement this week compared to last week. Well done old man.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby auto » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:29 am

What went on here?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby The Old Fellow » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:06 pm

auto wrote:What went on here?ImageImage

No mention of any penalty runs in the result on the web site and Virginia's batting adds up without them. Would assume the timed out is being absent as he opened in the first innings for NEK.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby moriachi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:55 pm

Heard it was a data entry mistake.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
moriachi

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:34 am

auto wrote:What went on here?

The result was well scripted, I seen it coming from a mile away.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:17 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Using my expertise I have the following up until now.
13: Arifi, Hanisch.
12: Knapp.
11: Wilson, Lord.
10: Big Carl.

GRADE 1
13: T.Mac
11: Taylor
10: Pogas
9: Ward, R.Barker.
8: D.Lucas, Warren.
7: Meredith.
6: Waldhuter, B.Barker, Davies, King.

I didn't do votes from the Virginia vs Eastern Park round 1 game.

15: T,Mac
12: R.Barker
11: Taylor, Warren

Does anyone know what happened in the Gardens vs Pines game? It doesn't look like the even played day 2, a bit of a bold move by the Pines if so, it could cost a home final.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Old Fellow » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Using my expertise I have the following up until now.
13: Arifi, Hanisch.
12: Knapp.
11: Wilson, Lord.
10: Big Carl.

GRADE 1
13: T.Mac
11: Taylor
10: Pogas
9: Ward, R.Barker.
8: D.Lucas, Warren.
7: Meredith.
6: Waldhuter, B.Barker, Davies, King.

I didn't do votes from the Virginia vs Eastern Park round 1 game.

15: T,Mac
12: R.Barker
11: Taylor, Warren

Does anyone know what happened in the Gardens vs Pines game? It doesn't look like the even played day 2, a bit of a bold move by the Pines if so, it could cost a home final.

Day 1 was washed out so play a 70 over one day game under 2 day rules on Saturday. As Pines bundled Gardens out for 65 could have forced the follow on for the unused 14 overs. All points can be critical this time of the season.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:39 am

The Old Fellow wrote:Day 1 was washed out so play a 70 over one day game under 2 day rules on Saturday. As Pines bundled Gardens out for 65 could have forced the follow on for the unused 14 overs. All points can be critical this time of the season.

Cheers mate, that makes sense now. For memory the Bradman Oval pitch was a tad sunken so it didn't take a lot to be immersed in water.

Yes, I would've played out the remaining overs, only because I've been stung before by finishing a game too early, missed the finals by 4 runs after closing shop before tea on day two twice during the season.

The Pines had a couple of kids playing but I think Puddy and the Doctor could've knocked over a few wickets and gained an extra point at least.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Old Fellow wrote:Day 1 was washed out so play a 70 over one day game under 2 day rules on Saturday. As Pines bundled Gardens out for 65 could have forced the follow on for the unused 14 overs. All points can be critical this time of the season.

Cheers mate, that makes sense now. For memory the Bradman Oval pitch was a tad sunken so it didn't take a lot to be immersed in water.

Yes, I would've played out the remaining overs, only because I've been stung before by finishing a game too early, missed the finals by 4 runs after closing shop before tea on day two twice during the season.

The Pines had a couple of kids playing but I think Puddy and the Doctor could've knocked over a few wickets and gained an extra point at least.

At EP we missed out on Div1 finals by a similar margin when we called of a few games early.

Sucked because I still believe we could have done some damage especially with Kenny McConnell and Kev Thomas as our opening bowlers.
whufc
Coach

Postby the joker » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:09 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I ran out one of those kids in his first ever SnR game on the weekend for a diamond duck [emoji1751]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps