Round 1 courtesy of Channel 7
EaglesFan18
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Woodville South

Re: Round 1

Postby Spargo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Excuse my ignorance, why are we playing 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:17 pm

Spargo wrote:Excuse my ignorance, why are we playing 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday?

Because there's nothing else to do and nowhere else to drink on Good Friday. Maximise crowds.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RB » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:25 pm

I don't reckon there's been an SANFL game on Easter Monday in 25 years+. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

I assume because they like generally to schedule a couple on Thursday night, and more recently Friday, and it throws the fixture for next week out of whack if you've got big discrepancies between teams in terms of days since last match.

Easter Sunday is a terribly bad day for footy so I understand why they give that one a miss. Am a bit surprised they didn't schedule one on the Saturday.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby southee » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 pm

Spargo wrote:Excuse my ignorance, why are we playing 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday?

Keeping it open for the AFL games ???
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby blueandwhite » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 am

South dudded again.
After being the first club in Australia to have a crack at Good Friday Footy, and making a success of it , its fair to say we've drawn "the Crow "!
The game which sees us playing The Crows, will as per usual be a financial disaster for the club-its barely worth opening the gates.
The crows have very little or no support at SANFL level; and those few that do attend will drive in seated in their Toyota Camrys, bring their own Thermos of tea, a knee rug and Apricot slices, and spend zero at our food outlets.
A far better option would have been South playing Glenelg, which was the original Good Friday fixture which proved to be very well attended in the past. Also with former Glenelg favourite son Bryce Gibbs donning the Navy Blue and White it may have added a little more spice to the game. :roll:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby RB » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Any reason been given for why the South Adelaide game is at 1.10?

The Eagles game is the TV game.

The Crows first XVIII aren't playing till 7.20 that night.
RB
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 pm

RB wrote:Any reason been given for why the South Adelaide game is at 1.10?

The Eagles game is the TV game.

The Crows first XVIII aren't playing till 7.20 that night.

Would have been at the Crows request so they have more time for some staff to go from Noarlunga to the city.
What the AFL teams want the AFL teams get.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RB » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:44 pm

I'll grant that it takes a long time to get down to Noarlunga Oval (or Southern Elizabeth Oval as it's also known). I think the Crows staff could probably manage the trip back within 2 and a half hours though.
RB
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:10 pm

RB wrote:I'll grant that it takes a long time to get down to Noarlunga Oval (or Southern Elizabeth Oval as it's also known). I think the Crows staff could probably manage the trip back within 2 and a half hours though.

Yeah but by the time players cool down, stuff is packed up, the trip back to civilization, set up, prep, avoiding the crowd, etc you'd want as big a gap as possible.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:31 pm

blueandwhite wrote:South dudded again.
After being the first club in Australia to have a crack at Good Friday Footy, and making a success of it , its fair to say we've drawn "the Crow "!
The game which sees us playing The Crows, will as per usual be a financial disaster for the club-its barely worth opening the gates.
The crows have very little or no support at SANFL level; and those few that do attend will drive in seated in their Toyota Camrys, bring their own Thermos of tea, a knee rug and Apricot slices, and spend zero at our food outlets.
A far better option would have been South playing Glenelg, which was the original Good Friday fixture which proved to be very well attended in the past. Also with former Glenelg favourite son Bryce Gibbs donning the Navy Blue and White it may have added a little more spice to the game. :roll:

Glenelg in its 100th year may well have requested to play Westies in the opening round as that’s who they played in their first ever game back in 1921.
I agree however with your point that South deserve a crowd drawing opponent on Good Friday.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby saintal » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Bullseye.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:53 pm

RB wrote:I don't reckon there's been an SANFL game on Easter Monday in 25 years+. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

I assume because they like generally to schedule a couple on Thursday night, and more recently Friday, and it throws the fixture for next week out of whack if you've got big discrepancies between teams in terms of days since last match.

Easter Sunday is a terribly bad day for footy so I understand why they give that one a miss. Am a bit surprised they didn't schedule one on the Saturday.

I think that the last Easter Monday matches were in 1987 when a double header was held at Footy Park.
Despite Oakbank being in its prime, Easter Monday footy crowds had been excellent up to that time so I don't know why they stopped.
There was a lot of strange programming back then.
The traditional Anzac Day Grand Finallist rematch was stopped for a number of years in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Blacky » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:18 pm

ask the afl
Current image:
Maximum dimensions; width: 100 pixels, height: 100 pixels, file size: 20.51 KiB
The avatar functionality is currently DISABLED.
Blacky
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:09 am

Mentioned in the Advertiser we have a challenging first round match against North .Wont be our only challenging game unfortunately we appear to be a long way off the other clubs with who we have picked up and it could be a long long season .Would love to be wrong and hope i am just cant see it
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby TDJ44 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:40 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Mentioned in the Advertiser we have a challenging first round match against North .Wont be our only challenging game unfortunately we appear to be a long way off the other clubs with who we have picked up and it could be a long long season .Would love to be wrong and hope i am just cant see it

I agree with you, it's going to be a tough season.
I'd be happy if we can win more games than last year with the squad we have.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby bulldogproud » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:45 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Mentioned in the Advertiser we have a challenging first round match against North .Wont be our only challenging game unfortunately we appear to be a long way off the other clubs with who we have picked up and it could be a long long season .Would love to be wrong and hope i am just cant see it

I would love it if it was indeed a long season. Unfortunately I see us having a short season - ended in the minor round ;)
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:42 pm

Good Point
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Spargo wrote:

Glenelg in its 100th year may well have requested to play Westies in the opening round as that’s who they played in their first ever game back in 1921.
I agree however with your point that South deserve a crowd drawing opponent on Good Friday.

isn't it Glenelg's 101st year?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby DOC » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:23 pm

101st season and 102 years old next month.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL