Australian International Summer 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:29 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Makes it even stranger then that you would want Phillipe in the Test team. Are you really that stupid?

Booney wrote:They should have, IMO, taken Phillipe to South Africa as the back up and sent Carey to NZ and installed him as the ODI and T20 captain.

Apologies, I should have typed slower.
Carey will play in South Africa IMO.
Surely playing tests is better

Batting at 5? I'd be surprised if they did that, but stranger things have happened.

Absolutely playing Tests are better (if they play him) but I've got one eye on the next Test captain and it would be easier in instate Carey after a period of captaining the ODI/T20 sides than just bring him straight in, if indeed he is the next Test captain. They might be happy handing it to Cummins, who knows.

Given the tour of South Africa is 3 Tests the back up 'keeper won't have a lot to do barring injury, so be it Phillipe or Inglis or Harper they could get one of them in a touring party and give them a taste of the next level.

"Back up keeper" has a whole new meaning nowadays with Covid, they aren't there for an injury or experience, anything can happen in this day and age and there is no time for plan B.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:"Back up keeper" has a whole new meaning nowadays with Covid, they aren't there for an injury or experience, anything can happen in this day and age and there is no time for plan B.

For sure, but to get something ( Carey captaining at International level ) you have to give something ( take a back up ahead of their time ).

The Australian Test team is close to a cross road, planning needs to take place and this is just my idea for that plan, if anyone else has one then I, along with everyone else on here, would be all ears I'm sure.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Makes it even stranger then that you would want Phillipe in the Test team. Are you really that stupid?

Booney wrote:They should have, IMO, taken Phillipe to South Africa as the back up and sent Carey to NZ and installed him as the ODI and T20 captain.

Apologies, I should have typed slower.
Carey will play in South Africa IMO.
Surely playing tests is better

Batting at 5? I'd be surprised if they did that, but stranger things have happened.

Absolutely playing Tests are better (if they play him) but I've got one eye on the next Test captain and it would be easier in instate Carey after a period of captaining the ODI/T20 sides than just bring him straight in, if indeed he is the next Test captain. They might be happy handing it to Cummins, who knows.

Given the tour of South Africa is 3 Tests the back up 'keeper won't have a lot to do barring injury, so be it Phillipe or Inglis or Harper they could get one of them in a touring party and give them a taste of the next level.
I reckon it’s between Carey and Head for the last spot and Carey will get the nod. Green to 5 and Carey to 6 IMO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:01 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:"Back up keeper" has a whole new meaning nowadays with Covid, they aren't there for an injury or experience, anything can happen in this day and age and there is no time for plan B.

For sure, but to get something ( Carey captaining at International level ) you have to give something ( take a back up ahead of their time ).

The Australian Test team is close to a cross road, planning needs to take place and this is just my idea for that plan, if anyone else has one then I, along with everyone else on here, would be all ears I'm sure.

Carey, like Head, need to take their opportunities by the scruff of the neck and make the most of them, they have both lost their vice captain status because of their own doing, with Finch's lack of form atm Carey should be pounding down the door.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:04 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Carey, like Head, need to take their opportunities by the scruff of the neck and make the most of them, they have both lost their vice captain status because of their own doing, with Finch's lack of form atm Carey should be pounding down the door.

That's exactly why I think they should put Carey into the short form captaincy. Seems like the right time to give him a team to lead.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 am

Seems a very strong possibility of SA tour not going ahead
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby heater31 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:29 am

Mr Beefy wrote:Seems a very strong possibility of SA tour not going ahead
Have been watching the South African domestic 50 over cup the past few days. Appears to be behind closed doors and the players are locked in a bubble.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 am

CA want all staff who work in hotels and logistics to go into a bubble 3 weeks before the Australian team arrives.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:58 am

Australia’s tour of South Africa is in serious trouble, with a final decision on the viability of the series to be made in the coming days.

Selectors last week named a squad to contend the three-match series, which is crucial to Australia’s hopes of qualifying for the Test Championship – and Cricket Australia desperately wants to tour and help out the embattled South African cricket.

But the safety obstacles are significant and there is now great uncertainty over the expedition going ahead.

Cricket Australia won’t compromise on the safety of its players and staff, and as it stands there are concerns over whether their wellbeing on the road can be guaranteed.

The discussions are coming to a head and critical talks between Cricket South Africa and Cricket Australia this week will determine whether the biosecurity measures being put forward can be signed off on.

It’s on a knife’s edge, but confidence has dipped significantly since the weekend.

South Africa is currently being gripped by a mutant strain of the virus.

Cricket Australia’s concerns about the tour are two-fold.

They must be convinced by the biosecurity measures being put forward by Cricket South Africa, and there also logistical complications associated with getting the team back into Australia after the series is done.

Touring goes against Government travel and safety advice and there are concerns about what would happen if, in a worst-case scenario, an Australian player did get sick.

Would that individual be able to get back into Australia? Would the entire team have to wait back until results are negative?

Cricket Australia have not given up on the tour, which is proposed to take place between Centurion and Johannesburg with the Tests on March 3, March 12 and March 21.

The first and last Tests would be in Centurion and the middle one in Johannesburg.

However, there are massive challenges ahead and a decision must be made in the coming 48-72 hours.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/cr ... eb36da6249
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:14 pm

I wonder if they review their NZ T20 squad if the SA tour doesn't go ahead?

If we're shutting down states because of one case I can't see us sending our national team to play where the deadly highly infectious strain originated from.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I wonder if they review their NZ T20 squad if the SA tour doesn't go ahead?

If we're shutting down states because of one case I can't see us sending our national team to play where the deadly highly infectious strain originated from.

You would think the South Africa tour will be cancelled and the 20/20 squad to go to New Zealand will be picked again.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby laser » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:12 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I wonder if they review their NZ T20 squad if the SA tour doesn't go ahead?

You would think the South Africa tour will be cancelled and the 20/20 squad to go to New Zealand will be picked again.

Too late to bring SA over to Oz?
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:13 pm

laser wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

I think Cricket SA want the tour for the money. They won't come here.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Trader » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:43 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
laser wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

I think Cricket SA want the tour for the money. They won't come here.

Play it here, give them the cash from the sale of the TV rights.
Give us the gate take to cover venue hire, etc.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:22 pm

And it's off.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 pm

Can the Big Bash go for another 2 months?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 pm

Should of played for a draw against India in the last test. Would have made the WTC final
Last edited by whufc on Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 pm

Good news, Wade can make a ton more runs in Shield and get back in ahead of spud Trav

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:25 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Good news, Wade can make a ton more runs in Shield and get back in ahead of spud Trav

Going on Wade’s Shield career that won’t happen.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:26 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Good news, Wade can make a ton more runs in Shield and get back in ahead of spud Trav

Thanks Matthew.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket