Australian International Summer 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:35 pm

heater31 wrote:V India at Adelaide Oval 5 or so years ago???

Beat me to it. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:42 pm

Trader wrote:I can't stand all this T20 bashing that's going on in this thread!!!

T20 has a place in the game, but Australia have got it wrong IMO. I can't think of any other Nation that has compromised their domestic competition in favor of T20.

India run the IPL at the end of the Ranji Trophy.. Australia plonked BBL smack bang in the middle of summer, and took up most of it.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:52 pm

The Bedge wrote:
heater31 wrote:V India at Adelaide Oval 5 or so years ago???

Beat me to it. :lol:

1 good game
Cool ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Trader wrote:I can't stand all this T20 bashing that's going on in this thread!!!

T20 has a place in the game, but Australia have got it wrong IMO. I can't think of any other Nation that has compromised their domestic competition in favor of T20.

India run the IPL at the end of the Ranji Trophy.. Australia plonked BBL smack bang in the middle of summer, and took up most of it.

To be fair, Aussie Rules stuffs up cricket more than anything, BBL is here to stay in its current form, its more likely to expand than contract. They could still play more double headers and fit it into 4-5 weeks from xmas to end of Jan, due to TV you aren't moving it from this period.

Shield cricket should start in early September in the Northern states/WA, play 80% of it before the tests start in mid Nov and finish up in Sydney for the NY's test. Get the test players playing most of the BBL. Feb/March left for international white ball cricket.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

To be fair, Aussie Rules stuffs up cricket more than anything, BBL is here to stay in its current form, its more likely to expand than contract. They could still play more double headers and fit it into 4-5 weeks from xmas to end of Jan, due to TV you aren't moving it from this period.

Shield cricket should start in early September in the Northern states/WA, play 80% of it before the tests start in mid Nov and finish up in Sydney for the NY's test. Get the test players playing most of the BBL. Feb/March left for international white ball cricket.

That's a really good point...………………...I don't think Countries like India and Engalnd would have as many ground share issues that our states face.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:44 pm

Booney wrote:@am bays

Just seen it, difficult but should’ve been taken at that level.

Got told 35 years ago, ‘Keepers don’t get judged by by the good things they do, they get judged by the number of mistakes they make.

Paine would know that better than anyone
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:54 pm

northerner wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
northerner wrote:Nathan Lyon is the most ordinary average player to have played 100 Tests. Seriously... he has a consistent stock ball, and then...?

So many times we fail to bowl teams out in 4th innings on 5th days. When spinners should be licking their lips, Lyon has nothing to offer.

100 tests and 400 wkts at 31 ave. That pans out to an average of 2 for 62 per innings. Not gunna win many matches with that.
Played 100 tests and has taken more test wickets than anyone since he made his debut in 2011.
I can completely understand people's frustrations with Lyon and his bowling average and strike rate arent anything super but he's easily the best we got and have had since Stuart MacGill retired and there has been really no other spinner in domestic cricket that's looked like taking his spot as our number 1 spinner.
This summer has been his worst since 14/15.
Looking at his 4th innings bowling, his average, strike rate and RPO are all slightly better than his overall career numbers but has less wickets than in the other 3 innings so I can understand why people question why he can't spin us to victory in the forth innings.
I've just come to really appreciate what Lyon has done for Australia over the last 10 years and accepted that's he's the best we have, whether that be for better or for worse, depending on what side of the fence you sit on.Image

Great work dk...
Lyon has the worst SR of any in the Top 20.
And the only one in the top 20 with a worse average is Moen Ali who cannot hold a regular spot.
think to me, those figures tell a greater story than he having taken more wkts than any other plater. Simply he has bowled far more than any other player.
Lets take a serious look at Swepson I reckon... opposition know Lyon has no Plan B or C.

Factor in how many dropped catches and missed stumpings.
He had Wade for a keeper for a while and he was useless.
I know all bowlers have to cop dropped chances but I reckon he's copped it the worst.

At times he's bowled brilliantly for a none fa.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby MW » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:24 pm

For me, the problem with the bowling unit was solely with Starc. He looked distracted, disinterested and bowled pathetically all series.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:37 pm

MW wrote:For me, the problem with the bowling unit was solely with Starc. He looked distracted, disinterested and bowled pathetically all series.

Starc and Lyon were both poor this series.
Can’t bowl teams out when 2 of your 4 main bowlers are down on form.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:53 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
MW wrote:For me, the problem with the bowling unit was solely with Starc. He looked distracted, disinterested and bowled pathetically all series.

Starc and Lyon were both poor this series.
Can’t bowl teams out when 2 of your 4 main bowlers are down on form.

Not enough pressure applied by Starc to allow Lyon to be effective IMO
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:19 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
shoe boy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Lyon just never looks like bowling us to victory.
Great record but he’s no match winner.

I think he only plays now when the pitch suits as he shouldn’t be an automatic inclusion anymore.

I know it is hypothetical but do you believe we would of won if Shane Warne bowled yesterday?

Against any other team I’d say yes but given it was India who play spin well I’m not sure.

Has Lyon ever bowled us to victory on a 4th or 5th day?
Like a 5 fa?

TDK will know.

I'd have to look at the Cricinfo Statsguru to work out his specific 5th day of a test record, if you look at and read the records that I posted last night you will see Lyon has taken three 4th innings five wicket hauls, including the 7/152 he took against India at the Adelaide Oval in 2014 that Heater mentioned.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dinglinga75 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:29 pm

Would Starc be the only cricketer in the Australian squad were he isn't the best player in his house
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:

Would Starc be the only cricketer in the Australian squad were he isn't the best player in his house

Paine's missus would have to go close and she doesn't even play cricket.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby mal » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:53 pm

Wow whadda team/squad the Indians are
They have beaten Australia 2-1 with so many frontline players injured or unavailable
From the first test, there were only 3 players who played the 4th test
They were
Agawal
Pujarra
Rahane

Heres a hypthetiaal
Image Australia losing their frontline attack and 3 batsmen and a keeper
The line up could have been something like this

S MARSH
HARRIS
LAB
MADDINSON
MAXWELL
GREEN
CAREY
NESER
PATTINSON
SWEPSON
MEREDITH

I wonder how an Australian line up similar to this would have gone against a full strength Indian team ?
To put it in further perspective, imagine this team playing against India in India
Also with Steve Smith playing the first test and coming home
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Lyon has always been a pretty effective first innings bowler where he can pick up his 2-for at 2-3 runs an over and relieve the load off the quicks, and this may be why his strike rate is not as good. He has often struggled to win us test on last days particularly early in his career, and thought he had got better at it, but perhaps not so.

In the future I'd like to see Green at 5 and Head at 6 or Pucovski at 5 and Green at 6, with a view to Pucovski taking over at number 4 in 3-4 years time when Smith either retires or if father time catches up with his style. The problem with this is that it doesn't solve our opening dilemmas, and I'm not convinced that Pucovski is the answer there.
While Green was slow at times, he would have learned a lot, and scoring say 20 off 70 balls means he has still batted for an hour-and-a-half. His improvement needs to be finding a way to score more singles, and then the rest will take care of itself.

Burns unfortunately is finished, though I never knew why he tried to make himself into an opener. I reckon he could have had a very solid career at 5 or 6.

Our on-field behaviour has gone from the public school bullies in Lehmann and Warner to the up-themselves pretentious private school wanker type with Paine, Smith and Labuschagne. I love Lab as a batsman and I really hope some has a quiet word in his ear about all the other stuff.

FWIW, I thought Washington should have been Man of the Match, three wickets in the first innings including Smith and Green, and an equal role in the decisive, match-turning partnership in the first innings.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:42 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Rams52 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Maybe they could go back to state based T20 comp and play a round of shield, ODD and T20 back to back against opposition.

This is the way to go I feel, although CA will never do it.

Imagine having Shield Mon - Wed.. Friday recover, Saturday night T20 and Sunday ODD - those who don't make the cut for the shorter format are back playing Grade cricket Saturday.

Have a week or so break between rounds and repeat.. 12 rounds over the season culminating in finals at the end.

Grade cricket would be strengthened, families could get along to Saturday night T20's for their fix and those who play community cricket could still get along on a Sunday and enjoy ODD.

I'd also tweak the SS points format - currently weighted towards aggressive cricket and results (which I don't mind), but needs to be an incentive for sides in both innings to gain points, and incentive for batting long periods of time not just scoring heavily.

Something like this would be awesome. Even starting the shield on Sunday and then the T20 and one-dayer on Fri & Sat.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:40 pm

Understand Tex Walker has tweeted in support of Tim Paine... yep, that’ll help!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Corona Man wrote:Understand Tex Walker has tweeted in support of Tim Paine... yep, that’ll help!

They should both retire and catch up for a beer!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:19 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Understand Tex Walker has tweeted in support of Tim Paine... yep, that’ll help!

Reckon they’d both fumble and spill it!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:33 pm

Corona Man wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Reckon they’d both fumble and spill it!

TeX would be fine. Drinking only requires one hand.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket