Australian International Summer 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Test cricket is still alive and in my opinion the best form of the game,

As for a battered and injured Indian squad what an outstanding victory, not withstanding they only required to draw.

The indian captain Rahane is an outstanding leader and very humble unlike some of our lads.

Nathon Lyon , is he called the "goat" as in greatest of all time? if so who called him that ? personally he is a long way from that.

It's a bit of a piss take if you ask me, he assumed the name by becoming the leading Australian off-spinning wicket taker.

When did it die?

Sure the Windies aren't all that interested anymore it would seem, and Indian appear to be more interested in the T Ball rubbish.

Personally - I will watch every ball of an Australian Test Series, I take a passing interest in 50 over cricket. I find other things to do when the T/20 is on.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:28 pm

Corona Man wrote:
When did it die?

Sure the Windies aren't all that interested anymore it would seem, and Indian appear to be more interested in the T Ball rubbish.

Personally - I will watch every ball of an Australian Test Series, I take a passing interest in 50 over cricket. I find other things to do when the T/20 is on.

During my holidays I'd watch the first hour of the morning and then time it to listen to hour before lunch while doing my run, my interest in all formats has waned over recent years but I still like to know what's happening during the tests.

I always loved ODI's although I didn't watch any in the recent series, as for the T20's, I'm more interested in the Strikers than watching our national team, I'm probably sick of the selection criteria, it used to be exciting watching a young Simon O'Donnell or a Boof get their first shot for the Aussies, it was usually an ODI, now any Barry gets a gig on the back of a 37 in BBL.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Bandit » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 pm

There is a hard truth we are all overlooking. Cricket Australia doesnt give a shit about what a 40 yr old bloke likes, they care about a 13 year old kid who thinks tests are boring and slow.

If kids arent into cricket there will be no money in the game so how do you get kids involved - big bash in prime time summer. As the kids grow to adults they will appreciate the tests and therefore not be lost to the game all together.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:35 pm

Bandit wrote:There is a hard truth we are all overlooking. Cricket Australia doesnt give a shit about what a 40 yr old bloke likes, they care about a 13 year old kid who thinks tests are boring and slow.

If kids arent into cricket there will be no money in the game so how do you get kids involved - big bash in prime time summer. As the kids grow to adults they will appreciate the tests and therefore not be lost to the game all together.

Excellent point, they've already "got" us, it's about "getting" the next generation and, in reality, for most of us, it was One Day Cricket that did that in the 80's.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:36 pm

Bandit wrote:There is a hard truth we are all overlooking. Cricket Australia doesnt give a shit about what a 40 yr old bloke likes, they care about a 13 year old kid who thinks tests are boring and slow.

.. but the numbers of kids attending BBL or going to Blast clinics isnt translating into participation numbers or retention numbers for teams.

CA only care about ticking boxes and making money - run a few clinics, get their numbers boosted, get people going to games.. they don't seem to care if little Johnny plays club cricket, or if he even wants to play cricket after his local blast clinic.

Also saturating kids minds with a shorter format that is all about fast scoring, big hitting etc isn't going to help kids appreciate a longer format of the game - if anything it's going to make them see it as more boring. They'll grow up with T20 stuff, and when they reach adulthood what form of cricket do you think they're gonna want to play? Think they're going to be keen to stand in the field for 6hrs?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:[
Time to move on.

As stated earlier, we were beaten by a better team, full credit to them.

Now, I hope we can look beyond Warner, Wade, Paine et al, and start building a team to win back (I know we hold them) the Ashes.

What does that team look like?

Puckovski
??
Lab Rat
Smith (c)
Green
??
Carey - I guess
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazelhoff

Coach - ??

Can we trust Smith back in the top job? I bet if he had his time over, and he caught a wiff of some ball tampering talk, in the rooms - he would say "we won't be doing that lads" and just shut it down. If & buts I know, and how different would the team look, and perform if only Smudge had stood up back in Saffers a few years ago?

Pattinson is coming up 31, if we're looking beyond Warner then I'm guessing he wont be around.

Carey is a frustrating one, it's there for him to grab, he just can't quite reach it firmly.

I think Smith captaining again would be a blight on CA's integrity.

Head must still be looked at, he's been dropped, Steve Waugh, Ponting, Clarke and Smith were all dropped at some stage and came back better cricketers, Head had to be dropped to make him have a good hard look at himself, he'll come back better for it.

If we're looking at youth to fill the batting spots, Patterson hasn't had a great shield season so far, we've probably only got McDermott, Whiteman and Inglis as possible choices, any other batting options are already in the squad or they're too old.

I like McDermott. Bbl is not a great form guide for test cricket normally, but he's hitting nice cricket shots and seems to have good defence.
Head needs to make big runs when shield cricket resumes before he gets another look.
Carey is in if Paine retires, which could be on the cards.
Batting well but not keeping great.
As for captain......no idea at this point. Won't be Cummins though.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:43 pm

shoe boy wrote:Test cricket is still alive and in my opinion the best form of the game,

As for a battered and injured Indian squad what an outstanding victory, not withstanding they only required to draw.

The indian captain Rahane is an outstanding leader and very humble unlike some of our lads.

Nathon Lyon , is he called the "goat" as in greatest of all time? if so who called him that ? personally he is a long way from that.

The "GOAT" started as a bit of tongue in cheek. He is by far the greatest off spinner to ever play for Australia. Yes, even better than Peter Taylor and Jason Krejza.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Wade to move up to 3

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yeah, for Tasmania.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Been liked: 532 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:11 pm

How do we pick a test squad to South Africa with only 1 Sheffield Shield game between now and Feb 21st ...
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby northerner » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:15 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
northerner wrote:Nathan Lyon is the most ordinary average player to have played 100 Tests. Seriously... he has a consistent stock ball, and then...?

So many times we fail to bowl teams out in 4th innings on 5th days. When spinners should be licking their lips, Lyon has nothing to offer.

100 tests and 400 wkts at 31 ave. That pans out to an average of 2 for 62 per innings. Not gunna win many matches with that.
Played 100 tests and has taken more test wickets than anyone since he made his debut in 2011.
I can completely understand people's frustrations with Lyon and his bowling average and strike rate arent anything super but he's easily the best we got and have had since Stuart MacGill retired and there has been really no other spinner in domestic cricket that's looked like taking his spot as our number 1 spinner.
This summer has been his worst since 14/15.
Looking at his 4th innings bowling, his average, strike rate and RPO are all slightly better than his overall career numbers but has less wickets than in the other 3 innings so I can understand why people question why he can't spin us to victory in the forth innings.
I've just come to really appreciate what Lyon has done for Australia over the last 10 years and accepted that's he's the best we have, whether that be for better or for worse, depending on what side of the fence you sit on.Image

Great work dk...
Lyon has the worst SR of any in the Top 20.
And the only one in the top 20 with a worse average is Moen Ali who cannot hold a regular spot.
think to me, those figures tell a greater story than he having taken more wkts than any other plater. Simply he has bowled far more than any other player.
Lets take a serious look at Swepson I reckon... opposition know Lyon has no Plan B or C.
northerner
Reserves

Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:How do we pick a test squad to South Africa with only 1 Sheffield Shield game between now and Feb 21st ...

Ridiculous isn't it!

On that basis you would have to think they will go with pretty much the status quo.....im sure the likes of Head, Puckovski, Neser, Pattinson will make up the squad numbers.

Even if the shield was going I don't see the selectors making whole sale changes.

Smith, Laba, Warner, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon are not going anywhere.

Despite all of Paines flaws (I cant stand the bloke) his batting average of around 50 this series meant there is no chance of an unproven keeper coming in.

Green has shown enough that he should keep his spot.

A fit Puckovski will come in for Harris.

So really even if the shield was going it would only be the number 5 batting spot and probably Pattinson coming in for Starc as the changes.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:19 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:How do we pick a test squad to South Africa with only 1 Sheffield Shield game between now and Feb 21st ...
I’d say there is about a 20% chance of the series going ahead currently
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Lyon just never looks like bowling us to victory.
Great record but he’s no match winner.

I think he only plays now when the pitch suits as he shouldn’t be an automatic inclusion anymore.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:23 pm

Make it up much like they do now.
Burns should have never played the 1st Test.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:23 pm

I can't stand all this T20 bashing that's going on in this thread!!!

Someone posted earlier that T20 cricket was what let India stay in the game as long as they did, then go for the win late.
Before T20, India would have just batted out the draw.

T20 is the saviour of Test Match Cricket!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Trader wrote:I can't stand all this T20 bashing that's going on in this thread!!!

Someone posted earlier that T20 cricket was what let India stay in the game as long as they did, then go for the win late.
Before T20, India would have just batted out the draw.

T20 is the saviour of Test Match Cricket!

A good cricketer can play any format as well.
Pant being the latest example.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:28 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Lyon just never looks like bowling us to victory.

I think he only plays now when the pitch suits as he shouldn’t be an automatic inclusion anymore.

I know it is hypothetical but do you believe we would of won if Shane Warne bowled yesterday?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:31 pm

shoe boy wrote:

I know it is hypothetical but do you believe we would of won if Shane Warne bowled yesterday?

Against any other team I’d say yes but given it was India who play spin well I’m not sure.

Has Lyon ever bowled us to victory on a 4th or 5th day?
Like a 5 fa?

TDK will know.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Against any other team I’d say yes but given it was India who play spin well I’m not sure.

Has Lyon ever bowled us to victory on a 4th or 5th day?
Like a 5 fa?

TDK will know.
V India at Adelaide Oval 5 or so years ago???
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:34 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Of course we would have. He's the real GOAT. Not too keen on his commentating though.
Last edited by Bum Crack on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket