2021 Player movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 Player movements

Postby Aerie » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:17 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
DOC wrote:Keeping the AFL happy is who's priority?

The SANFL is no longer the SANFL, it's a puppet of the AFL,
we have the players they want & a very handy competition for2 AFL sides to try out their players,
let's face it, we're being used,
if the SANFL was serious, it would tell the AFL to remove their 2 sides & if push came to shove, we would tell the AFL to bugger off & go it alone.
We could do it but the SANFL as it appears right now doesn't want to do that.
Because their number 1 priority isn't the 8 SANFL clubs.

Yep personally I believe the issues stemmed from around the early/mid 2000's. Around the 'Your Tribe is Calling' marketing campaign era.

The SANFL was seriously positioning itself as the alternative to the AFL. Numbers were on the rise, there was multiple radio stations calling games, ABC on tv, multiple page media coverage and whilst the AFL would not have been scared I do definitely believe it opened their eyes to a threat of a potential alternative competition (not that it would have been the SANFL but maybe one with serious financial backing)

Since then the AFL has done everything possible to eliminate that bridge between AFL and amateur/country leagues. If the AFL wants/needs to secure its own future for the next 100 years by making sure they are control any aspect above amateur/country which obviously will never be any more than that.

Unfortunately since then the SANFL has had a long list of puppet CEO's who have only looked out for their own careers to the detriment of the SANFL.

To be honest we might as well call it the AFLSANFL and get it over and done with. The only way we will ever get our independence back is if an AFL reserves come in but by then the AFL would have done enough to ensure the SANFL is nothing more than a glorified amateur comp.

Agree re mid-2000’s being a turning point.

The SANFL was never going to be the same after 1991, but by the mid-2000’s, the SANFL had a number of things going for it, including some stability after the two AFL sides were created in the 90’s.

The AFL was being bogged down by the Swans flooding style of play - despite those great Grand Finals - the football was ugly prior to the Geelong era. The SANFL was still a high scoring, free flowing competition (prior to Bassett/Collins/Godden etc.).

The best players outside of the AFL were flocking to the SANFL thanks to the successful pokies venues and a VFL being used as an AFL Reserves comp. This was prior to the equalisation measures put in place to make it harder/more expensive for the SANFL clubs to recruit from interstate and before the idea of a NEAFL and equal 2nd tier comps around the nation.

The SANFL were also topped up with AFL mini-draft each year and often got some good value from those coming up or just on the outer at the Crows or Power. It wasn’t long before the Power started syphoning their players to the Magpies.

SANFL clubs also had access for the majority of the year to the best U18 players in the state before they got drafted. During this period the demands of the U18 national comp progressively got worse up to the point these players were missing for months from their SANFL side.

Finally the real kick in the guts - the admission of two new AFL sides and the AFL Reserves entry.

But, still we have our 8 clubs, still we have these 8 clubs run mainly on the contribution of many hours of unpaid work and still we have players committing themselves above and beyond whilst holding down a job. This has always been the case, and as John Lennon said “A working class hero is something to be.” But, FFS, if the AFL could just give it some oxygen instead of repeatedly stamping it down!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby wedgetail » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:49 pm

northerner wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:Longeran signed on for the Eagles next year

He will relish working with the new fitness coach.... ;)

Underrated player by opposition supporters but held in high regard at the Eagles for his leadership, game sense and clearing a pathway with his big arse for smaller players. Also a premiership player who didn't play in a losing game all year.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:15 am

wedgetail wrote:
northerner wrote:

Underrated player by opposition supporters but held in high regard at the Eagles for his leadership, game sense and clearing a pathway with his big arse for smaller players. Also a premiership player who didn't play in a losing game all year.

The way he plays his football reminds me a lot of how Brad Currie use to go about the game during the Dogs great run in the 2000's.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:12 am

whufc wrote:
wedgetail wrote:
northerner wrote:

The way he plays his football reminds me a lot of how Brad Currie use to go about the game during the Dogs great run in the 2000's.

Cuzz's arse wasn't as big though
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:15 am

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

we have the players they want & a very handy competition for2 AFL sides to try out their players,
if the SANFL was serious, it would tell the AFL to remove their 2 sides & if push came to shove, we would tell the AFL to bugger off & go it alone.

Yep personally I believe the issues stemmed from around the early/mid 2000's. Around the 'Your Tribe is Calling' marketing campaign era.

The SANFL was seriously positioning itself as the alternative to the AFL. Numbers were on the rise, there was multiple radio stations calling games, ABC on tv, multiple page media coverage and whilst the AFL would not have been scared I do definitely believe it opened their eyes to a threat of a potential alternative competition (not that it would have been the SANFL but maybe one with serious financial backing)

Since then the AFL has done everything possible to eliminate that bridge between AFL and amateur/country leagues. If the AFL wants/needs to secure its own future for the next 100 years by making sure they are control any aspect above amateur/country which obviously will never be any more than that.

Unfortunately since then the SANFL has had a long list of puppet CEO's who have only looked out for their own careers to the detriment of the SANFL.

To be honest we might as well call it the AFLSANFL and get it over and done with. The only way we will ever get our independence back is if an AFL reserves come in but by then the AFL would have done enough to ensure the SANFL is nothing more than a glorified amateur comp.

Way before that mate, in 1993 when the AFL Commission took over governance of the game from the Australian National Football Council it became the big dog in town, the SANFL/WAFL were never a threat to a national competition that had the power of the AFL. Never.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Every competition below the AFL receives some funding from the AFL, it couldn't happen even if they wanted it too.

SANFL has 50% voting rights/say on how much Revenue AFL clubs receive from Adelaide Oval.
Sanfl controls If crows/port have a reserves team in our league.
SANFL controls how much crows/port pay to be in the league
Port/crows owe sanfl 10 million in licence fees.

Threaten to cut my funding and I know what I’d do. We certainly aren’t helpless.

We just have crows ambassadors in charge of the sanfl atm.

Sanfl signed the agreement to let the afl sides in on an annual review basis. The sanfl Clubs have requested over 15 amendments to the original agreement since that time. All but 2-3 Amendment requests have been met with “We signed a contract” and we ain’t changing it.

I remember a time when Booney accused anyone who predicted afl reserves being introduced to the sanfl as “the sky is falling” paranoia.
Last edited by UK Fan on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:53 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Gill McLachlan who grow up at Unley Oval has decimated our league since taking over.
AD started the slide though.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby stan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:07 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Every competition below the AFL receives some funding from the AFL, it couldn't happen even if they wanted it too.

SANFL has 50% voting rights/say on how much Revenue AFL clubs receive from Adelaide Oval.
Sanfl controls If crows/port have a reserves team in our league.
SANFL controls how much crows/port pay to be in the league
Port/crows owe sanfl 10 million in licence fees.

Threaten to cut my funding and I know what I’d do. We certainly aren’t helpless.

We just have crows ambassadors in charge of the sanfl atm.

Sanfl signed the agreement to let the afl sides in on an annual review basis. The sanfl Clubs have requested over 15 amendments to the original agreement since that time. All but 2-3 Amendment requests have been met with “We signed a contract” and we ain’t changing it.

I remember a time when Booney accused anyone who predicted afl reserves being introduced to the sanfl as “the sky is falling” paranoia.
As much as you are a fun little person at times, you are correct here.

As long as the SANFL controls that 50%, then not much matters to be honest. That's why I can't understand why they want the 2 AFL teams back in. They offer very little to the comp, and financially the SANFL still has right river flowing.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:08 pm

You can't work out why?

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:35 pm

Booney wrote:You can't work out why?

I can tell you why. Because they are too f***ing WEAK to stand up for the SANFL
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby stan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:58 pm

[emoji38]
The SANFL already has there finger in the pie of the SMA, in fact control of it, so nothing will change the true income stream.

With Port the Crows there this probably won't change. So if they wanted them out they could do it easily.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:26 pm

stan wrote:

[emoji38]
The SANFL already has there finger in the pie of the SMA, in fact control of it, so nothing will change the true income stream.

With Port the Crows there this probably won't change. So if they wanted them out they could do it easily.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Reddeer wrote:

I can tell you why. Because they are too f***ing WEAK to stand up for the SANFL

Fancy telling Stan?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Malcom Karpany to Moonta fc.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby DOC » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Big loss.
Bugger.
Poop.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Groucho » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:39 pm

If you were sturt or eagles posters on here I would offer you salt and sour grapes, but you don't deserve it. Also you support a fellow sensible no vote club.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:50 am

Groucho wrote:If you were sturt or eagles posters on here I would offer you salt and sour grapes, but you don't deserve it. Also you support a fellow sensible no vote club.

that was random,
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Brett » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:48 pm

Draft picks but Im sure a poster will take control. lol

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... 56m3d.html
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:01 pm

It was probably the worst 48 seconds of the kids’ life until the Dogs took him ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Thilthorpe it is
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times