14%
Smithfield
3%
West Croydon
10%

Total votes : 71

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2020

Postby Number7 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Disappointing to hear about Mr Zweck, a champion bloke.

I think people get a bit miffed at Football Clubs and the way they think. Lets be frank sometimes you get people who end up running the place, but have little football or management experiences. Unfortunately they are volunteer positions and the football common sense maybe misguided.
Number7

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:27 pm

citycoaster17 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Well i'll say it, I think it's ordinary from Lockleys - that's putting it nicely.

Told up front start of the season deliver us a flag or you're done.
Whispers during the season that they were keen for a player/coach to take over next year and had lined up their man.
Delivers them said flag in one of the most challenging seasons ever.
Less than two weeks later advert goes up for coaches.

The advert makes it seem certain that the mid-year rumours were true and this decision was always coming regardless of the outcome of the season.

The bloke takes your club to your first premiership in god knows how many years, finishes top 3 most years it seems and you reward him with pushing him out the door? Surely out of respect you allow him that opportunity to decide if he wishes to go on next year - he deserves at least that - and if he does then you allow him one more season.

He has hardly missed a trick.

The zed has been royally banged in the backside.

Sounds pretty f**ked up. If they have a playing coach already lined up why they wasting people's time advertising?

Are you sure its not in their constitution to advertise said positions?

Even if it was then then it wouldn’t be a shock when told to reapply. We parted ways with Zwecky a long time ago under completely different circumstances and looking back now it was hardly Steve’s fault and as a club we were in a far different position. From an outsider looking in this looks incredibly harsh given the current scenario.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby citycoaster17 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:44 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
citycoaster17 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Well i'll say it, I think it's ordinary from Lockleys - that's putting it nicely.

Told up front start of the season deliver us a flag or you're done.
Whispers during the season that they were keen for a player/coach to take over next year and had lined up their man.
Delivers them said flag in one of the most challenging seasons ever.
Less than two weeks later advert goes up for coaches.

The advert makes it seem certain that the mid-year rumours were true and this decision was always coming regardless of the outcome of the season.

The bloke takes your club to your first premiership in god knows how many years, finishes top 3 most years it seems and you reward him with pushing him out the door? Surely out of respect you allow him that opportunity to decide if he wishes to go on next year - he deserves at least that - and if he does then you allow him one more season.

He has hardly missed a trick.

The zed has been royally banged in the backside.

Sounds pretty f**ked up. If they have a playing coach already lined up why they wasting people's time advertising?

Are you sure its not in their constitution to advertise said positions?

Even if it was then then it wouldn’t be a shock when told to reapply. We parted ways with Zwecky a long time ago under completely different circumstances and looking back now it was hardly Steve’s fault and as a club we were in a far different position. From an outsider looking in this looks incredibly harsh given the current scenario.

Definitely pretty ordinary then. My comment was a question more than anything. Takes a fair bit to lead a club to three senior premierships in the one year.... something seems a bit off.
citycoaster17
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:53 pm

I’m sure the powers that be will have their reasons and we don’t have to like it, but looking at the overall picture you just see what sort of a club Lockleys was 10 years ago compared to now. Their following on GF day when of the 2000 people that rocked up probably 12-300 were their own. You weren’t getting that 10 years ago. It’s a culture that grows over time and as I said at the time we parted ways with Zwecky we were at the end of a 4-5 year rough trott that he got the arse end of and looking back now the split was good for both parties given Zwecky’s influence on CLG and Lockleys. Time will determine whether it’s the right call.

Can’t believe I’m defending a bloke that gave me the hospital ball from hell one day that got me ko’d v Elizabeth :)
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:42 pm

Zed is a quality bloke and he left CLG in a better position, I think many wish he hadn’t been moved on. No doubt if he chooses to get back into coaching there will be another door swing open very soon.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Yank Man » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:58 pm

Brodlach wrote:Zed is a quality bloke and he left CLG in a better position, I think many wish he hadn’t been moved on. No doubt if he chooses to get back into coaching there will be another door swing open very soon.

Kenilworth, CLG, Lockleys, you’d have to say that culturally and structurally Zed has had a big impact on all those clubs and more importantly has made a lot of friends along the way and huge respect from the football fraternity. I for one value his long term friendship and I’m quite staggered with what I’m hearing and reading. Not sure how much more you can do sometimes to keep club people happy, but it’s the nature of the beast and who in their right mind would want to coach.

The old chestnut aye, there is only two kinds of coaches, those sacked and those about to be.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Q. » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Regardless of what has happened here, Zwecky has taken a group of men to the promised land, many of them for the first time no doubt. Can't take that away from him or those lads and you'd hope he'd always be welcome back with open arms for upcoming reunions.

Coaching is a harsh gig sometimes. As a player your loyalty is generally in your hands, much less so as a coach.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Robran » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Q. wrote:Regardless of what has happened here, Zwecky has taken a group of men to the promised land, many of them for the first time no doubt. Can't take that away from him or those lads and you'd hope he'd always be welcome back with open arms for upcoming reunions.

Coaching is a harsh gig sometimes. As a player your loyalty is generally in your hands, much less so as a coach.

Very well said Q
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Yeah well done Lockleys. Bring in a coach that slowly but surely turns you from very mediocre into a club that now looks a real chance to progress up the grades. New clubrooms, junior growth and then decide the person who has been a big part of making the club relevant isn't worthy of taking the club forward on this journey. You are a Div 5 club that's had one really big year. So what!!! Blood on your hands Lockleys FC. You deserve to stay mediocre.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:02 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Yeah well done Lockleys. Bring in a coach that slowly but surely turns you from very mediocre into a club that now looks a real chance to progress up the grades. New clubrooms, junior growth and then decide the person who has been a big part of making the club relevant isn't worthy of taking the club forward on this journey. You are a Div 5 club that's had one really big year. So what!!! Blood on your hands Lockleys FC. You deserve to stay mediocre.

Harsh, but very, very fair. Is a staggering decision, and the silence coming from the Club is damning. Considering most of their best players like McDonough, etc will nick off back to the Country for top dollar, they will be stuck in Div 5 forever.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:39 pm

Disgraceful decision by Lockleys especially after Zwecky has worked so hard on changing things at Lockleys and with the year they had to get 3 flags.

Normally you would approach the Premiership coach and offer him an extra year before advertising.

All the best for the future Zedman and I reckon you will be coaching next year somewhere.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Considering most of their best players like McDonough, etc will nick off back to the Country for top dollar, they will be stuck in Div 5 forever.

Don’t be so sure...
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:59 am

The Bedge wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:Considering most of their best players like McDonough, etc will nick off back to the Country for top dollar, they will be stuck in Div 5 forever.

Don’t be so sure...

McDonough to coach maybe Bedge to keep him at the club ?
Whatever the case and if Z goes, good luck Lockleys, you just made a balls up.
You had structure, success and guidance, that is not built overnight and you are about to start all over again.
Really looking forward to next season, Bulls are building some depth which they sorely missed last year and no departures of any A grade note i believe, players are buying in, that is what Lockleys had. It all takes time.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby The Bedge » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 am

Computer Crashed wrote:McDonough to coach.

Bingo
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:46 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Bingo

Yep, had this confirmed by couple of Lockleys people today. Mentioned earlier on here they were wanting a player coach, so Plugger (Matt McDonough) been appointed.

Many Lockleys people (and posters on here!) thought they would win the flag in a canter with their gun team, so the fact they fell in by a point in the GF was the nail in the coffin for the coach.

Seems a tough call, but were rumblings around the place later in the season. Time will tell, just because a bloke played a couple of AFL games and never lived up to his reputation does not necessarily make him a good coach?
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Brodlach » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:58 pm

So if he has been appointed why go through the charade/wasting people’s time with applications?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Yank Man » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:13 pm

Brodlach wrote:So if he has been appointed why go through the charade/wasting people’s time with applications?

Exactly
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Yank Man wrote:
Brodlach wrote:So if he has been appointed why go through the charade/wasting people’s time with applications?

Exactly

Agree totally. Annoys me when clubs do this. Say they have to go thru the process just in case Alistair Clarkson applies then end up appointing the guy everyone knows had the job two months ago. Just name him now to save a lot of people wasting their time!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:27 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Bingo

Yep, had this confirmed by couple of Lockleys people today. Mentioned earlier on here they were wanting a player coach, so Plugger (Matt McDonough) been appointed.

Many Lockleys people (and posters on here!) thought they would win the flag in a canter with their gun team, so the fact they fell in by a point in the GF was the nail in the coffin for the coach.

Seems a tough call, but were rumblings around the place later in the season. Time will tell, just because a bloke played a couple of AFL games and never lived up to his reputation does not necessarily make him a good coach?

If that’s even remotely true internally Id be shocked if those thoughts were continued in to finals after the Rd 8 clash. Our side this year was better than the side that cleaned up most of the minor rounds In 2019 and failed come finals - The first 5-6 rounds we had the most players in the entire comp go through our A’s and once that settled we gained momentum quickly. This year we played Lockleys 3 times and 2 of those games I saw 2 of the most intense games I’ve seen in div 4/5 footy in the last 15 years. The other game was heading that way until the rain came and favoured Lockleys bigger bodies.

I seriously can’t believe this year went for just 9 rounds. Whilst we lost GF day, it’s a day that will be spoken about for a very long time to come. Time will tell if it’s the right decision that Lockleys have made - For me I just don’t see any sense in such a radical decision after such a build up and ultimately a successful outcome.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Robran » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:03 am

Sad thing is not knowing this fella that's taking over probably hang around the club for couple years get his coaching resume updated to being a senior coach walk away take players with him and never been seen again. Knowing zwecky loyal, club first person and if they had come to him and said ha you can have the job but you will get no payment etc we want to put into the playing group the man still would have said yep done deal. Because he cares about the football club. The right thing to do if they wanted this other chap would have been steve we want u to teach this guy what u know and when you are ready this fella can step in and take over.Good luck steve you will get snapped up in a heart beat. Dont let this stop you get right back on the horse.Lockleys loss is another lucky clubs gain.
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League