Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Jim05 wrote:https://twitter.com/tombrowne7/status/1310857536380088321?s=21

Tom Browne breaking the big stories again.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby MW » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:21 pm

9 days for Jack Watts crash to be released and not by Port
Great timing
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby MW » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:57 am

What are the odds that the entire Port media have all forgotten their log ins on social media last night and this morning...strange
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:15 am

Interesting times ahead with Port Adelaide's board reportedly saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to several offers from Keith Thomas to stay on as CEO after declaring in 2019 that this year would be his last and he has offered, apparently, to stay on and guide the club out of the economic disaster that is the COVID pandemic. The club has reportedly declined to accept that offer. I find this very, very odd.

Thomas joined the club in August, 2011 at a time when we were at our lowest ebb on and off field. Just 3 weeks after his appointment Port Adelaide defeat Melbourne at the "old" Adelaide Oval to avoid the indignity of collecting the states first AFL wooden spoon and finish above only the newly formed Gold Coast Suns. In the weeks prior, right as Thomas took over, Collingwood inflicted a 138 point thrashing, Hawthorn a week later a 165 point flogging and by the end of his first calendar year in charge he'd had to sack a coach ( Primus ) and start the search for a new one as well as guide Port out of the worst financial state the club had been in.

Since then we've taken Alberton to the world with the China Strategy which has been the catalyst for several major partners joining the club, mainly current major sponsor MG Motors. He's seen the club finish under him and Ken Hinkley no season with less than 10 wins, play in 3 finals series, membership hit 60,000 ( pre-COVID ) and walked the club through the transition from Football Park to the Adelaide Oval. He's been crucial to the planning of the 150th year anniversary that was stopped in it's tracks by the pandemic. So who better to lead us through the start of our next 150 years as the club negotiates it's way through a reduction in spending on the football department, reduced players lists and the most challenging of times to attract, maintain and most importantly reward sponsors with exposure in prime time?

Has the club decided now is the best time for a fresh start? Does the club have someone in mind internally? Executive General Manager, Matthew Richardson, has been bandied about as a potential replacement yet it's been reported a recruitment firm including former AFL CEO Andrew Dimitriou is currently on the look out for the next PAFC CEO.

I may never get the opportunity to thank the bloke who broke our hearts in 1984 for the work he's done bringing our club out of obscurity to the top of the table with a dynamic young list, solid corporate support and investment and one of if not the most passionate supporter bases in the land. If I do I will sure as hell tell him he's very much the reason Port Adelaide has celebrated, so far, our 150th year anniversary in style (albeit not as he envisaged) and not stood by a tombstone that was, in 2011, a very real possibility.

Either way it's an interesting time for all AFL clubs, let alone one looking for a new CEO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 am

Surely they don't knock back his offer unless they have a ready made replacement?

When does he finish up, any idea? If it is end of October then they are leaving their run late.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:53 am

Dutchy wrote:Surely they don't knock back his offer unless they have a ready made replacement?

When does he finish up, any idea? If it is end of October then they are leaving their run late.

I think it's the end of October, yes.

You'd imagine the recruitment process may have started as soon as he advised he was leaving, perhaps the investment in that to date and potential candidates has them happy to move to the next phase of the clubs history.

I would have thought stability now, more than ever, would be paramount.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:11 am

The wheels have fallen off already

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:12 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The wheels have fallen off already

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:36 am

From Jacks car? possibly
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 am

MW wrote:

From Jacks car? possibly

Hi Elspeth.... :-H
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am

Well not the lead up to a final you'd like.
Hit n run.
Administrative issues, and we know that on field reflects board room.
Be a very very big win if the Power can overcome these hurdles, given they are a young club.

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby MW » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:

From Jacks car? possibly

Hi Elspeth.... :-H

Hey what's up Vicki? :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Surely they don't knock back his offer unless they have a ready made replacement?

You'd imagine the recruitment process may have started as soon as he advised he was leaving, perhaps the investment in that to date and potential candidates has them happy to move to the next phase of the clubs history.

Yeah I would think your spot on here. Thomas record with Port is simply to good to ignore you would have to think that the quality of applicants is extremely high and or some internal applicants believe they are a huge shot and have their own interest in mind.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Booney wrote:

So which Norwood or Geelong guy is coming in mate? :lol:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:18 am

Lachie Jones come on down! :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:58 am

If the monkey isn’t off the back it’s certainly lost some of its grip as Port Adelaide turned the tables on their nemesis defeating Geelong by 16 points at Adelaide Oval in the qualifying final and in turn earning themselves a home preliminary final against the winner of Richmond and St Kilda.

As expected the match was played hard on the inside of the contest but it felt as though it was on the outside Port Adelaide got the upper hand, the spread from the contest worked in Port’s favour in attack and, most importantly for mine, in defence.

Early on Geelong played their game, moving the ball sideways deep in defence to open up the fat side and attack. Last time round this resulted in a 10 goal Geelong win and 6 goals to Hawkins, he again had 6 shots on goal but this time they were from far and wide and despite a couple of them being gettable he ended the night with 5 points and 1 out on the full. The result of the defensive spread mentioned earlier. When Geelong moved the ball sideways the Port defensive zone, particularly our half forwards and midfield pushed up harder on the mark and spread wider faster than the Geelong mids to cover the dangerous space the Cats like to use as they move forward. This saw them having to slow the ball down as they pushed into attack and gave Port the opportunity to station Clurey and Jonas in the defensive corridor, Hawkins gets pushed wide and the result is the 5 behinds and Geelong and inaccurate 5.12 on the night.

The first half was a genuine arm wrestle, Port looked more likely to score moving the ball forward only to be stifled by the strong Geelong defence in the air but at ground level Port looked far more dangerous, ex-Cat Motlop did what he can do, 3 kicks, 3 goals and Ebert continued his very strong form with 2 majors, one on the half time siren from 50 similar to his effort at the same time in the Collingwood game, both proving crucial if not difficult conversions.

After half time though things became a little clearer, particularly the first 10 minutes of the third quarter when Port Adelaide dominated the territory game as Jonas and Hartlett set up the defensive wall and repeat forward 50 entries saw goals to Rozee, Motlop’s third and Ebert’s second put Port out to a 23 point lead that looked too much for the Cats to claw back. Bar Hawkins the Cats forward line looked like they were no threat, Rohan, Miers, O’Connor, Ablett and Dahlhaus didn’t appear to be capable of kicking multiples to claw the game back and with Dangerfield required in the middle to combat the likes of Wines and Rockliff it was left to Stanley early as he pushed forward and then the midfield to hit the board. It was never going to be enough.

The last term was again played mostly in Port’s front half and two individual efforts from two of the clubs young guns must be highlighted. Ladhams received a little tap from Motlop who had received a handball from Zak Butters who had just thrown himself into a contest against two Geelong defenders, he skittled them both, was first to recover and from his backside he hits Motlop with a handball forward. This kid is electric, I love watching him play the game almost as much as he loves playing it.

Someone who at times may not have been as in love with the game sure was late on Thursday night, Todd Marshall looked like he’d be in a tracksuit by ¼ time after a heavy fall on his shoulder early in the contest but he managed his way through the match to allow some forward rotations and when Butters ( that kid again ) found Marshall open, 50m out right in front it was an emotional moment for a team who looks as connected as any Port team has been for some time. The celebration from Marshall, the coming together of the playing group to celebrate with him. #weareportadelaide

I felt this game was going to be largely won in the coaches box and the adjustments Hinkley made to the defensive zone and their defending of space as opposed to defending a player was crucial to the win. Hartlett, Jonas, McKenzie and Burton took 24 marks between them and while Geelong again outnumbered Port by 26 in that stat many of the Geelong marks were the result of sideways defensive kicks, the ones that did thrust them forward were but off by the 4 above in the main and I thought early on Burton in particular was strong in the air and helped Port hold sway.

So, it’s off to a home preliminary final. We couldn’t be in better shape with Marshall and Duursma likely to recover from their hits we head into a home preliminary final with a healthy list full of confidence and belief and a fan base ready to again raise the roof at Adelaide Oval supporting the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Geez I found this one hard to pick, Boon’s best : Rockliff, Hartlett, Wines, Powell-Pepper, Jonas, Motlop, Ebert, Burton.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dirty dog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Hey Boon I’m a club 1870 member which guarantees my a grand final ticket if we are a competing club, with it being at the Gabba and obvious crowd restrictions what’s the chance of that becoming a reality? Don’t want to get ahead of myself but would like to start planning just in case we make it.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Dirty dog wrote:Hey Boon I’m a club 1870 member which guarantees my a grand final ticket if we are a competing club, with it being at the Gabba and obvious crowd restrictions what’s the chance of that becoming a reality? Don’t want to get ahead of myself but would like to start planning just in case we make it.

1) You'd be right for a ticket, I expect both sides will have around 10,000 per club as there won't be 20,000 MCC wankers taking seats from people nor the 20,000 heavy hitting Melbourne corporate set wankers.

2) Looks like flights are over $2000 return at the moment.

3) If you drive it's via Birdsville as Queensland said no to anyone coming through NSW so it's over 33 hours by car.

Me, if we make it, I'll be at home losing my shit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Flights can be cheaper if willing to be slightly flexible and are even cheaper if prepared to fly in/out of the Goldy.
Tickets should be easy to get for high tier members
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dirty dog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks lads
Do you think if we make it extra flights will get put on making it cheaper or my dreaming?
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL