AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:34 am

Feels weird waking up on a Thursday morning with no game on the night before.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Feels weird waking up on a Thursday morning with no game on the night before.

Well that’s unlikely to be the case in 2021

The AFL are looking at a 28 game season next year to catch up on lost games this year with the TV contracts and stadia deals.

Source AFL umpire who is running with us at AFLNT.

The AFL umpires are planning on starting preseason as a group In Feb with the season potentially starting in early March with lots of mid week games

AFL after this season where they’ve trialled the compressed rounds in 3 weeks are thinking that going forward to maximise TV deals They can schedule 30+ round seasons to equalise the draw but in reality spin more $$$

What this means for reserves competitions and the notion of having squads of over 40 again a la European soccer leagues where players are managed/rested through a season. What this means for reserves competitions going forward is anyone’s guess too.

We’ll see what plays out but welcome to the “new normal”, hey....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am

am Bays wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Feels weird waking up on a Thursday morning with no game on the night before.

Well that’s unlikely to be the case in 2021

The AFL are looking at a 28 game season next year to catch up on lost games this year with the TV contracts and stadia deals.

Source AFL umpire who is running with us at AFLNT.

The AFL umpires are planning on starting preseason as a group In Feb with the season potentially starting in early March with lots of mid week games

AFL after this season where they’ve trialled the compressed rounds in 3 weeks are thinking that going forward to maximise TV deals They can schedule 30+ round seasons to equalise the draw but in reality spin more $$$

What this means for reserves competitions and the notion of having squads of over 40 again a la European soccer leagues where players are managed/rested through a season. What this means for reserves competitions going forward is anyone’s guess too.

We’ll see what plays out but welcome to the “new normal”, hey....

Yeah, it has been a success all round one would think, Sportsbet would be loving it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am

Sometimes less is more and I would be happy with 17 round seasons moving forward - rotate home and away each season.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am

This year’s Toyota AFL Grand Final award presenters and ambassadors have been announced.

Byron Pickett will present the Norm Smith medal

Malcolm Blight will present the Jock McHale medal

Simon Black is the premiership cup ambassador
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:42 pm

The Bedge wrote:Sometimes less is more and I would be happy with 17 round seasons moving forward - rotate home and away each season.

I like the idea of a 28 game season and I generally like mid week games on TV. in reality though I get lost in all the games and forget where it is at, forget to watch games and eventually lose interest.

Like I said though sometimes this doesn't work eg. the big bash overkill.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby rd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:44 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Sometimes less is more and I would be happy with 17 round seasons moving forward - rotate home and away each season.

I like the idea of a 28 game season and I generally like mid week games on TV. in reality though I get lost in all the games and forget where it is at, forget to watch games and eventually lose interest.

Like I said though sometimes this doesn't work eg. the big bash overkill.

I could handle a 25 game minor round next year - you play every other team once and 8 teams twice.

For example the team that finishes #1 in 2020 plays teams 3,5,7,9,11,13, 15 and 17 twice.

Knowing the AFL however and their love of money over credibility they will probably introduce triple ups where Cwd/Ess and Geel/Haw play each other 3 times as well as 3 showdowns, 3 WA Derbies etc...
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Just bite the bullet and go with a 34 game season, this year has proved it can be done.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:20 pm

Before this season, I was a big advocate for a 34 game season but I've realised that I'm not a fan of Big Bash style footy every night. Double or triple games up on the weekend so we don't have these games that are so terrible as stand alone games, no one watches them. Give the fans some choice about what game they watch. But the AFL won't do that of course.

So now I find myself leaning toward the 17 game season, which the AFL won't do either.

A hybrid 28 game season smacks of the AFL wanting the best of both worlds. The Big Bash flogged itself almost to death by playing too much and I fear the AFL is going that way. On top of this, the umpiring/rulings are absurd. I really find the game hard to watch at the moment.

As for the finals, I'm done with less than 10 goals winning a game of footy, so I have barely any interest in watching these games. I thought we'd moved past that when Sydney and WC played in those gripping grand finals in the mid 2000's - but at least it was successful. I don't enjoy the style of footy at all, and barely watch the Blues for a full game any more.

Sad, but that's the way I feel.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:56 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Before this season, I was a big advocate for a 34 game season but I've realised that I'm not a fan of Big Bash style footy every night. Double or triple games up on the weekend so we don't have these games that are so terrible as stand alone games, no one watches them. Give the fans some choice about what game they watch. But the AFL won't do that of course.

So now I find myself leaning toward the 17 game season, which the AFL won't do either.

A hybrid 28 game season smacks of the AFL wanting the best of both worlds. The Big Bash flogged itself almost to death by playing too much and I fear the AFL is going that way. On top of this, the umpiring/rulings are absurd. I really find the game hard to watch at the moment.

As for the finals, I'm done with less than 10 goals winning a game of footy, so I have barely any interest in watching these games. I thought we'd moved past that when Sydney and WC played in those gripping grand finals in the mid 2000's - but at least it was successful. I don't enjoy the style of footy at all, and barely watch the Blues for a full game any more.

You support the blues.....there's your problem ;)
I'm sure you'd enjoy it a lot more if you were a successful outfit.

I do agree with your umpiring comment however.
It's been baffling to watch the different interpretations by 3 different umpires.

In their defence, the game's that congested the umps simply don't see it cause there's 18 blokes around the ball.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:48 pm

Mike Brady will see Up There Cazaly before this year's GF, but he'll be in an empty MCG and streamed into the Gabba. Get him up to Brisbane and have him sing it live at the Gabba.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:30 am

tigerpie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:Before this season, I was a big advocate for a 34 game season but I've realised that I'm not a fan of Big Bash style footy every night. Double or triple games up on the weekend so we don't have these games that are so terrible as stand alone games, no one watches them. Give the fans some choice about what game they watch. But the AFL won't do that of course.

You support the blues.....there's your problem ;)
I'm sure you'd enjoy it a lot more if you were a successful outfit.

I do agree with your umpiring comment however.
It's been baffling to watch the different interpretations by 3 different umpires.

In their defence, the game's that congested the umps simply don't see it cause there's 18 blokes around the ball.

You've answered my question for me. Stop allowing prior opportunity and it will de-congest the game. The coaches send blokes back knowing they can't get pinged because there is no prior opportunity. The coaches would tell players, don't dive on it, but hold the ball in in a tackle and get a ball up and try and get a clearance.

The game between Hawthorn and North I think it was where the Hawks had 60 tackles for 0 holding the balls was my tipping point. It's not the norm but it will be common place. I hate the congestion but making MORE rules to enforce means more mistakes from the umpires and more stupid interpretations where the guy is being held down by 4 blokes and doesn't actually have the ball to get rid of it.

We should be making the game easier to umpire, not harder.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:53 am

daysofourlives wrote:Just bite the bullet and go with a 34 game season, this year has proved it can be done.

But the masses complain about AFLW's lack of scoring, the men haven't been much better with similar length quarters.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:57 am

I find merit in what you are saying but I also see things from the other side of the fence.

I never used to like Thursday or Monday night games but this season I've welcomed footy being on most nights, perhaps because I'm older or perhaps that I'm no longer with my wife and need to fill in some space timewise nowadays.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 am

I might be a bit self indulgent but I'd like more games so we can see Coleman Medalists reach 100 again, we've seen one centurion this millennium and 70 goals would win it for you most times.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I might be a bit self indulgent but I'd like more games so we can see Coleman Medalists reach 100 again, we've seen one centurion this millennium and 70 goals would win it for you most times.

on current game scores we will need to play about 50 games for someone to have a chance at 100 ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3649 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Mark of the Year/Goal of the Year finalists up - sometimes stand out winner but pretty tough to pick who will win!!

Goal - Daicos, Cripps, Newnes - agree with the final three here, I would go Daicos personally.

Mark - Cameron, Hill, Walsh - again, think they got the three correct - maybe Walsh for courage gets it.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby someguy1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Mark of the Year/Goal of the Year finalists up - sometimes stand out winner but pretty tough to pick who will win!!

Goal - Daicos, Cripps, Newnes - agree with the final three here, I would go Daicos personally.

Mark - Cameron, Hill, Walsh - again, think they got the three correct - maybe Walsh for courage gets it.

Goal - Daicos just for the call
Mark - Walsh

ROB needs a step ladder award
someguy1
Under 16s

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby MW » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Daicos and Walsh

Set shots shouldn't be in goal of the year and Cripps should have been called for too far without bouncing
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 pm

After 13 rounds Adelaide have 2 votes, one to Keays and one to Smith :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL