Hogg Grand Final Thread 2020

Into tipping/fantasy/dreamteam/supercoach/ultimate footy competitions? Its all discussed here!

Hogg Grand Final Thread 2020

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Ladies and gents this crazy season is almost over and we are now down to the premiership playoffs starting on Thursday night. Congratulations to all Grand Finalists. This year the Hogg Grand Finals are as follows.

Hogg Premier League: Roosters vs. Ecky's Fevolas
Hogg Division I: Summer of George vs. Wycbloods
Hogg Division II: Chops Clots vs. The Far Callers
Hogg Division III: Some Cant vs. Right Nut
Hogg Division IV: Star Midfield vs. HereComesTheSuns
Piglet Shield: Kiwi Krappers vs. Modraaaaaa!
Hogg Division V: harrryshawks vs. Giants Legends

Good luck to all Grand Finalists. All Grand Final chat, whinges, bitches, carnage et all in here. 8)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Re: Hogg Grand Final Thread 2020

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Hogg Premier League

Roosters vs. Ecky's Fevolas

Ex Cat Tim Kelly looms as a massive figure in the Premier League Grand FInal between Roosters and Ecky's Fevolvas. The Roosters rode into the Grand Final after Kelly racked up a massive 180 as Kelly and Gaff carried the midfield load against the Saints last week. Tomorrow night Dom Sheed comes in so there is a possibility that the return of the additional midfielder might mean that Gaff and Kel might not be able to return the same scores. I don't think Kel can get another 180 so how many points will the Roosters be leaving on the table this week? Another variable is Connor Rozee who earned his 'z' last week after playing like Connor Rosey for the majority of the season. Rozee's 95 was most welcome by the Chooks but again...can it be replicated?

I think that Eckky's scoring patterns are a little more sustainable. Both coaches will be sweating on the Doc but surely Carlton won't be playing him with their season now cooked. If Doc doesn't get up this creates a problem for Ecky who doesn't have Rivers in reserve. Does Ecky have a trade up his sleeve because he will need one to win this grand final.

Ecky had the week off and that makes me think that he has. I'm tipping that Doc will be traded out and that Ecky will be able to rely on more reliable scoring options to secure his first Premier League title. My tip - Ecky's Fevolas by 58 points.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 pm

Hogg Division I

Summer of George vs Wycbloods

When you have two teams that score the exact same score in their Preliminary Finals, then it makes for an untippable Grand FInal. Summer of George's promotion to premier league has been done the hard way, winning all the way through from Hogg Division IV. There is a sense of destiny about George's campaign in recent weeks and his scoring is on point. Wycbloods has been there and done that all before and he has returned for a second appearance in the top flight. As close as this match up is, I think this match might be the graduation present for George and he will add a Division I flag to his list of Hogg Shield achievements.

While there was nothing between the sides last week, George has outscored bloods by 800 points over the year which shows that George has bloods covered in the consistency stakes. Bloods are in a position to challenge strongly here. Tim Kelly was a welcome addition for the Bloods and while his 180 is not sustainable, Lachie Neale should be good for more than 55 so the Brisbane midfielder should be able to take up the slack. George surprisingly does not have Neale and appears to have taken the Zerrett option which many coaches have done. Can George pick up Lachie on the cheap to eliminate the threat?

In this incredibly tight match up, I'm leaning towards the more consistent side over the season and that is George. My tip - Summer of George by 23 points.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Hogg Division II

Chops Clots vs. The Far Callers

The Far Callers have emerged from a self-imposed Hogg exile to once again qualify for a Grand Final, this time in Division II up against Chops Clots. Last week the Callers' second worst player was Lachie Neale which shows you just how strong the number one ranked team in this year's Hogg is. While Neale and Titchell did not fire last week for the Callers, Andrew Gaff certainly did and even though Gaff is unlikely to replicate last week's heroics you would think that Tich and Neale will lift.

Chops made a few errors and scrambled over the line but they will need a significant lift to challenge The Far Callers. Chops has Gaff as well which is unusual, but he does not have Neale which is not so the Brownlow favourite is a key player in this Grand Final. I reckon that the Clots need matches out of the box by Rivers and or Sholl to help provide the upset and it seems a bridge too far to win this one. My tip - The Far Callers by 82 points.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Hogg Division III

Some Cant vs. Right Nut

Division III has been a very tight league this season and this Grand Final looks like a fitting end to the season as it is very tough to pick the winner. The reason for that is that these teams are not cookie cutter teams. There are several players on both sides that aren't typical of some of the other Grand Final sides participating this week. Some Can't has Perryman, Daniel and Scrimshaw, an inspired selection as the Sicily replacement while the Nuts have even better options in Zorko, McCluggage and Gray.

The ability to cover Docherty, if he misses could be crucial as the coverage these sides have in Watson for the Cants and um....Butts for Nuts ha ha is underwhelming. The winner of this Grand Final could be the team that has the trade up the sleeve. This one is a real toss of the coin job but I'm liking the look of Right Nut in this particular game. My tip - Right Nut by 8 points.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 pm

Hogg Division IV

HereComesTheSuns vs. Star Midfield

These two sides weren't meant to be here this weekend yet here they are. Both sides were upset winners over hot favourites in their respective prelim finals and one of them will now walk away with a well deserved premiership. This is very much a matchup between mid rated scores up against those that are currently absent. Star Midfield looks the stronger combination even though they have inconsistent players such as Viney, Wingard and this season Dusty Martin. If any of these guys perform to their capabilities then the Suns are in a bit of bother.

Last week the suns suffered with the absence of Ainsworth and Dawson but Telly's huge 180 was enough for them to get the W against a side that contained two donuts in the Prelim Final. Both sides don't have a lot in reserve which is fairly standard this season so Suns will be sweating on the inclusion of Ainsworth and or Dawson. I'm leaning against teams with Telly and or Gaff as no way those guys are racking up 150 this week so I'm tipping those teams are going to drop points this week. Star Midfield are living up to their name and have the superior star power and should get the job done in the Grand Final. This must be a relief to the Suns as I've been tipping against them for weeks and they keep winning. This time, I'll be right. My tip - Star Midfield by 111 points.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Hogg Division V

harryshawks vs. Giants Legends

Wycbloods' daughter Emma is keeping that premiership feeling in the family as she aims to complete the perfect season in Hogg Division V. Either the youngster is a precocious SuperCoach talent or Dad has been the guiding hand the end result is the same 15-0 and aiming for a clean sweep. Standing in their way is another female coach in Giants Legends in this all ladies' Grand Final. Giants Legends are a rookie team so it a Grand Final in their first year is an outstanding performance and naturally both have been rewarded with promotion.

Apart from having the wrong Lyons in the side harryshawks is a beautiful side that would not look out of place in a higher league. Giants Legends are, well, Giants Legends. The Legends have no less than eight Giants in their team (hmm...I wonder who Kerryn barracks for LOL) and generally this is not an advisable strategy in SuperCoach. If the Giants don't do that well then the Giants Legends might follow suit. Against your average Division V side that isn't a problem but harryshawks are not an average Divvy V side. This looks like the most one-sided match up of the round and harryshawks should go on to record a well deserved premiership. My tip - harryshawks by 129 points.

regards,

REB
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 pm

Piglet Shield

Kiwi Krappers vs. Modraaaaaa!

The Piglet Shield is my family league and all Piglet coaches also participate in a Hogg league, so we kind of get the double chance. Many Piglet coaches have gone on to win 'the double' with last year PorterGUNS winning the Piglet and Division IV. This year Modraaaaaa! in Division III looked like he could get the job done until Right Nut won their Prelim by 20 points.

Mods is a very good scorer and Right Nut has done well to get by him. I'm tipping that Division III Modraaaaaa! will have the final say in the Piglet over Division IV Kiwi Krappers. The Kiwi has won two Piglet Shield flags but I can't see him adding a third to his collection. Kiwi had two donuts last week and I think the cupboard might be bare. Mods will be hoping that Cameron sees sense and reincludes his captain (you stubborn arsehole Leon thank you very much) and if he does that then the Kiwi will be sunk. My tip - Modraaaaaaa! by 96 points.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby fish » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Plenty of studs and spuds this round...
fish
Coach

Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Ecky » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Hogg Premier League
Does Ecky have a trade up his sleeve because he will need one to win this grand final.

Didn't actually make a difference in the end - traded in Barrass but he scored only 39 but luckily for me that was still enough.

Thanks to everyone, especially REB, for keeping the competition going in this very different kind of season, see you in 2021.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby fish » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:32 am

Congratulations @Ecky on winning Hogg Premier :-BD
fish
Coach

Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Ecky wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Hogg Premier League
Does Ecky have a trade up his sleeve because he will need one to win this grand final.

Didn't actually make a difference in the end - traded in Barrass but he scored only 39 but luckily for me that was still enough.

Thanks to everyone, especially REB, for keeping the competition going in this very different kind of season, see you in 2021.

Congratulations Ecky! Think you flogged me twice this year but I was pretty happy with my efforts overall. Can't complain because the Roosters thrashed me as well!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby pompy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Congrats Ecky. Too good for me on the day!
pompy
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Well done REB once again for continuing to deliver.

Just when I start to restore some dignity and self esteem I can always rely on Supercoach to destroy it again.

Well done to all winners, especially Ecky being the cream of the crop.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:28 pm

I'll update all the results and end of year points scores soon. It's been a bit hectic this season and I'm all SuperCoached out. I'm particularly dirty about finishing ninth in the Piglet this year that one hurt LOL.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Board index   Football  AFL  Fantasy/Tipping Footy