SANFL 2020 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

by Hazydog » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:31 pm

Jim05 wrote:NEAFL has been absorbed into the VFL.
NAB league is going to U17’s and U19’s so I’d expect we will have to follow suit

Hang on... weren’t we encouraged into scrapping our 17’s & 19’s to fall into line with the AFL 18’s comp?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

by spell_check » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 pm

Hazydog wrote:
NAB league is going to U17’s and U19’s so I’d expect we will have to follow suit

Hang on... weren’t we encouraged into scrapping our 17’s & 19’s to fall into line with the AFL 18’s comp?

You're spot on, and when I read that from JIm, I had a chuckle for that reason.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

by wild dog » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 pm

spell_check wrote:
Hazydog wrote:

IIRC Kris Grant was a vocal opponent of the changes to the under 18 format based on the physical and character development of the individuals. AFL decision makers demonstrate time and time again that they are only interested in the bottom line.

The question is, how will the new expanded NEAFL / VFL competition be funded?
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

by Jim05 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:25 pm

wild dog wrote:
spell_check wrote:
Hazydog wrote:

IIRC Kris Grant was a vocal opponent of the changes to the under 18 format based on the physical and character development of the individuals. AFL decision makers demonstrate time and time again that they are only interested in the bottom line.

The question is, how will the new expanded NEAFL / VFL competition be funded?
AFL is funding it, has been confirmed. They will cover all transport and relevant costs.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

by Spargo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:34 am

Premiership odds;

WWT - $2.25
NA - $3.00
SA - $5.00
Gl - $8.00
Nd - $13
St - $51
CD - $251
WA - $251
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

by nwdfanparade » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 pm

No telecast listed for this weekend (unless things change in the next few days) despite Ch 7 saying at the start of the season a game from every round will be telecast.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 148 times

by Mic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:14 am

I know the exact dates/days haven't been set yet (unsure why), but does anyone have the draw for the last 2 SANFL rounds, I can't find it anywhere?
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

by Magellan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:20 am

Mic wrote:I know the exact dates/days haven't been set yet (unsure why), but does anyone have the draw for the last 2 SANFL rounds, I can't find it anywhere?

https://sanfl-media.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/content/uploads/2020/08/19162534/2020_SANFL_Statewide_Super_Mens_League_V2.pdf
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

by Mic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Magellan wrote:
Mic wrote:I know the exact dates/days haven't been set yet (unsure why), but does anyone have the draw for the last 2 SANFL rounds, I can't find it anywhere?

https://sanfl-media.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/content/uploads/2020/08/19162534/2020_SANFL_Statewide_Super_Mens_League_V2.pdf

Thanks.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

by Jim05 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Are the finals still at AO?
I’m presuming so but the rumour is that Adelaide is set to be named as the hub for the Sheffield Shield season and they are hoping to start at the end of October.
A SANFL GF on October 17th would probably allow enough time to install the pitches and possibly play a few games at Karen Rolton Oval?
Jim05
Coach

by Wedgie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Jim05 wrote:Are the finals still at AO?
I’m presuming so but the rumour is that Adelaide is set to be named as the hub for the Sheffield Shield season and they are hoping to start at the end of October.
A SANFL GF on October 17th would probably allow enough time to install the pitches and possibly play a few games at Karen Rolton Oval?

Yeah mate, no clash, AO can switch sports in less than a week and still do it comfortably even if they had the AFL GF on the 24th.
Knowing the SANFL the GF would probably be on Sunday 18th, hope I'm wrong though.
Booking your ticket after last nights win already Jim? ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

by Jim05 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Are the finals still at AO?

Yeah mate, no clash, AO can switch sports in less than a week and still do it comfortably even if they had the AFL GF on the 24th.
Knowing the SANFL the GF would probably be on Sunday 18th, hope I'm wrong though.
Booking your ticket after last nights win already Jim? ;)
We are 2-5 against top 4 sides so that really shows us where we are in the pecking order.
Jim05
Coach

by mal » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Last 3 meetings

NA 4-15
GL 4-15

GL 11-5
NA 10-14

NA 10-9
GL 10-11

3 games in a row with ,margins below 3 points between the teams
Had GL kicked 1 goal less or NA 1 goal more at Glenelg oval = same amount of goals scored 3 games in a row

The draw was last year
Both games this year made for excellent viewing
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 903 times

by DOC » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:13 am

Just my thoughts but could they not make out to show some respect and do this at seasons end.

A defender who was playing second division in the Adelaide Footy League last year is the shock selection in the South Australian AFL Draft Combine to be held at the end of the month.

West Adelaide 23-year-old Mitch Duval is one of 20 SANFL men picked to test themselves physically and mentally in front of AFL recruiters as the annual combine goes completely State-based for the first time because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tough backman Duval, 188cm, joined the Bloods from the Unley Mercedes Jets at the end of last season and has shone across half-back, averaging 13 disposals and five marks while blanketing some of the competition’s most dangerous forwards.

“Mitch is a fantastic story,’’ West coach Gavin Colville said.

“He didn’t play a lot of junior football and then at 17 or 18 he decided to put a bit into it before having a knee reconstruction which set him back. He then had a fantastic year for Unley last year.

“We heard about him through one of our past players., Daniel Caire, who played with him last season and he suggested he could play league football, so we invited him to pre-season training.

“He’s been a fantastic addition to our club and while he was a bit raw at the start, once he found his feet his assets really came to the fore, his marking, intercept marking and rebounding.’’

The AFL will host combines in each State and Territory for a total of 96 male and 82 female players.

The SA camps will be held on Wednesday, September 30.

Duval has been joined in the elite squad by fellow mature-age SANFL recruit Tom Highmore from South Adelaide.

The 22-year-old rebounding defender from Canberra starred in the opening six rounds before suffering a knee injury against Norwood.

The 18 teenagers are headlined by potential No. 1 pick Riley Thilthorpe from West.

Crows father-son prospect Luke Edwards and Next Generation Academy candidates James Borlase (Sturt) and Tariek Newchurch (North Adelaide) also have been invited to the combine, along with Port Adelaide NGA hope Lachlan Jones (Eagles) and Power father-son prospect Taj Schofield.

2020 SANFL AFL DRAFT COMBINE
Boys squad: Corey Durdin (Central District), Kaine Baldwin. Luke Edwards, Luke Pedlar, Xavier Robbins (Glenelg), Tariek Newchurch (North Adelaide), Brayden Cook, Zac Dumesny, Tom Highmore, Phoenix Spicer (South Adelaide), James Borlase, Malachy Carruthers, Tom Powell (Sturt), Mitchell Duval, Jye Sinderberry, Riley Thilthorpe (West Adelaide), Lachlan Jones, Caleb Poulter, Taj Schofield, Henry Smith (Woodville-West Torrens).
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

by mal » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:22 pm

A special thanks to DOC for posting the SANFL teams in and outs on all the individual game threads
Keep up the good work panther
mal
Coach

by am Bays » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:07 pm

DOC wrote:Just my thoughts but could they not make out to show some respect and do this at seasons end.

A defender who was playing second division in the Adelaide Footy League last year is the shock selection in the South Australian AFL Draft Combine to be held at the end of the month.

West Adelaide 23-year-old Mitch Duval is one of 20 SANFL men picked to test themselves physically and mentally in front of AFL recruiters as the annual combine goes completely State-based for the first time because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tough backman Duval, 188cm, joined the Bloods from the Unley Mercedes Jets at the end of last season and has shone across half-back, averaging 13 disposals and five marks while blanketing some of the competition’s most dangerous forwards.

“Mitch is a fantastic story,’’ West coach Gavin Colville said.

“He didn’t play a lot of junior football and then at 17 or 18 he decided to put a bit into it before having a knee reconstruction which set him back. He then had a fantastic year for Unley last year.

“We heard about him through one of our past players., Daniel Caire, who played with him last season and he suggested he could play league football, so we invited him to pre-season training.

“He’s been a fantastic addition to our club and while he was a bit raw at the start, once he found his feet his assets really came to the fore, his marking, intercept marking and rebounding.’’

The AFL will host combines in each State and Territory for a total of 96 male and 82 female players.

The SA camps will be held on Wednesday, September 30.

Duval has been joined in the elite squad by fellow mature-age SANFL recruit Tom Highmore from South Adelaide.

The 22-year-old rebounding defender from Canberra starred in the opening six rounds before suffering a knee injury against Norwood.

The 18 teenagers are headlined by potential No. 1 pick Riley Thilthorpe from West.

Crows father-son prospect Luke Edwards and Next Generation Academy candidates James Borlase (Sturt) and Tariek Newchurch (North Adelaide) also have been invited to the combine, along with Port Adelaide NGA hope Lachlan Jones (Eagles) and Power father-son prospect Taj Schofield.

2020 SANFL AFL DRAFT COMBINE
Boys squad: Corey Durdin (Central District), Kaine Baldwin. Luke Edwards, Luke Pedlar, Xavier Robbins (Glenelg), Tariek Newchurch (North Adelaide), Brayden Cook, Zac Dumesny, Tom Highmore, Phoenix Spicer (South Adelaide), James Borlase, Malachy Carruthers, Tom Powell (Sturt), Mitchell Duval, Jye Sinderberry, Riley Thilthorpe (West Adelaide), Lachlan Jones, Caleb Poulter, Taj Schofield, Henry Smith (Woodville-West Torrens).

Whilst not a South Australian, young Brodie Lake who makes his debut for Centrals 2s tomorrow has been invited as well.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

by DOC » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Thanks MAL.

When I get to start a premiership thread and keep it going for as long as AMBays has I will be one happy customer.

I have always enjoyed talking footy, especially the SANFL, but the opportunities are now limited as less people go.

A question for you MAL:

Who will Martin Mattner coach in 2021?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

by mal » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:03 pm

Marty Mattner to coach ST in 2021 at this stage ?

Salary Cap looks like being set at $200,000 in 2021
Retaining players and coaches may become issues
At least one high profile SANFL coach tipped to leave ...

I wonder if NW premiership coach Ben Warren will be sought after ?
mal
Coach

by Spargo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:02 pm

mal wrote:At least one high profile SANFL coach tipped to leave

Who would that be [tag]mal[/tag]?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

by Jim05 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Spargo wrote:
mal wrote:At least one high profile SANFL coach tipped to leave

Who would that be [tag]mal[/tag]?
Please be Cotton
Jim05