Round 5 Centrals v North Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 5 Centrals v North Saturday 1410

Postby Magellan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:11 am

Great second half after a very patchy first half, and particularly the first quarter where Centrals' run and better use of the ball made North look very ordinary. Glad to have James Craig back leading the ruck, his role was key in releasing Mitch Harvey up forward whose four goals (three in the critical third) set up advantage at 'lemon time', and eventually the win. Once North cleaned up their ball skills and efficiency after half time they were able to dictate the terms, and allowed excitement machines in Le Bois and Szekely to use their pace, both great to watch when in full flight. Centrals lack of height, as previously noted, became a factor in the third, evidenced with some strong forward 50 marks. Tom Schwarz also got better as the game progressed and was best afield IMO, and Boyd should also be amongst the medal votes getting a skinful of the ball in a losing side (to go with his skinful of ink).

Some odd umpiring, seems to be the most reliable part of the game these days - thought Hender's free in the last for a shepherd off the ball was very fortunate.

I presume Mitch Clisby copped an injury, only picked up one disposal - anyone know what it was?

Next week's game against South at Prospect shapes up as a a very interesting affair.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 am

southernbulldog wrote:We recruited a lack of height and we have been to small all season and it shows .

WE have 2 blokes in the reserves over 200 cms
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 am

sahboz wrote:Was there today and my very first impression when teams manned up at start was "wow they are a small side"
The longer the game went the taller North got
Great day back at the footy

If it was amateur level we are legit like a talented under 17 side trying to take on a senior side.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 am

Magellan wrote:thought Hender's free in the last for a shepherd off the ball was very fortunate.

Absolute shocker and a repeat of a free kick to Hender last week.
He flies ridiculously early jumping all over his opponent shoulders in an unrealistic attempt of a mark and both times the ump has paid the free to him for a shepherd. We were absolutely dumbfounded and I'm sure the one ump is the only person who would have paid it in the ground.
I would have been ropeable if I was a Dogs fan yesterday or Eagles fan last wek when it happened.
He also manages to pick up some high free kicks other players wouldn't which I'm sure is a result of his haircut accentuating any contact.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby TDJ44 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:54 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:We recruited a lack of height and we have been to small all season and it shows .

Why they playing reserves ?
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:55 am

TDJ44 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Maybe they keep turning up to training with basketballs.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby TDJ44 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:23 pm

Magellan wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Maybe they keep turning up to training with basketballs.

Maybe or they aren't good enough.
Marsh isn't league standard and yes I've answered one part of my question.
Our team is way too small which a few supporters fom other clubs have mentioned.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Postby Apachebulldog » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Same game plan same indecision different day.

All i got out of it was the Jack Daniels and Coke at 11 shekels a can and the friendly banter with the Cock supporters on the terrace.

Had a laugh about Mitch Harvey the pie man and what pies he liked Villis or Balfours LOL LOL

Can we win at least one game this year ?????????????
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Grenville » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:Same game plan same indecision different day.

All i got out of it was the Jack Daniels and Coke at 11 shekels a can and the friendly banter with the Cock supporters on the terrace.

Had a laugh about Mitch Harvey the pie man and what pies he liked Villis or Balfours LOL LOL

Guinness is the way to go Apache. $9 a can.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby TDJ44 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 pm

We need a pie man...our talls are all skinny.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Postby FRED » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Grenville wrote:

Guinness is the way to go Apache. $9 a can.

Agree, but found it a bit confronting drinking Guinness out of a can.
FRED
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby northerner » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:36 pm

No wrist slitting from this Doggies fan....

We clearly lack talls up fwd, not assisted by having Butcher, Menzel, Falkenberg and McLean on the injury list.
However, I have been most impressed by the efforts of Stephenson at CHF in the last fortnight. He has taken a couple of grabs and has competed at every contest. Looks fitter than I have seen for quite some time.
This is clearly a rebuilding year, with a whole heap of kids being given opportunities to test their ability at league level. Some are not there yet, while others have what it takes but don't have the experience or physique to stick at it for 4 quarters.
Jack Toner was the latest 18yo to get a debut this week.
At some stage we might see 17yo Lachie Grubb get a game, his pace and skill in the last two ressies outings have been very exciting. He won the sprint held at half time of last season's GF. A 4-bounce running goal from the centre towards the goal square in the last quarter was sensational.

North appeared a different side in the second half. They would be happy to have got the points without Wigg, Moore or Hender having to star. Harvey was far too strong (physically) and LeBois is exciting. Schwarz just gets the job done, decent Blue Collar worker.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Groucho » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 pm

I don't know about you Nthner but I HATE losing and I especially HATE finishing bottom and being awarded the Wooden Spoon, and worse than that it will be a WIN-LESS season. Can things get any worse?

I don't know how you manage to find positives from this shipwreck, fair dinkum, you would find a positive in the bubonic plague.

All the young players are learning is how to lose. We just don't know how to win, I'm not sure if that is a different matter or not but the result is the same.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 am

northerner wrote:No wrist slitting from this Doggies fan....

We clearly lack talls up fwd, not assisted by having Butcher, Menzel, Falkenberg and McLean on the injury list.
However, I have been most impressed by the efforts of Stephenson at CHF in the last fortnight. He has taken a couple of grabs and has competed at every contest. Looks fitter than I have seen for quite some time.
This is clearly a rebuilding year, with a whole heap of kids being given opportunities to test their ability at league level. Some are not there yet, while others have what it takes but don't have the experience or physique to stick at it for 4 quarters.
Jack Toner was the latest 18yo to get a debut this week.
At some stage we might see 17yo Lachie Grubb get a game, his pace and skill in the last two ressies outings have been very exciting. He won the sprint held at half time of last season's GF. A 4-bounce running goal from the centre towards the goal square in the last quarter was sensational.

North appeared a different side in the second half. They would be happy to have got the points without Wigg, Moore or Hender having to star. Harvey was far too strong (physically) and LeBois is exciting. Schwarz just gets the job done, decent Blue Collar worker.

Agree, whilst I hate losing I'm comfortable Andrews is using 2020 to blood as many players as possible and ensure he knows who he wants around for 2021.

I have faith in his ability to follow a process and I truly believe next year we will posting how grateful we are that he played so many players this season as they all improve a season.

Right now we are the wooden spooners but with some selected recruiting and development from our talented youngsters I can see us rising back into finals contention fairly quickly, as other clubs have done in recent times.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:30 am

Groucho wrote:I don't know about you Nthner but I HATE losing and I especially HATE finishing bottom and being awarded the Wooden Spoon, and worse than that it will be a WIN-LESS season. Can things get any worse?

I don't know how you manage to find positives from this shipwreck, fair dinkum, you would find a positive in the bubonic plague.

All the young players are learning is how to lose. We just don't know how to win, I'm not sure if that is a different matter or not but the result is the same.

it must be a hoot being so negative.
Do you enjoy it? If you don't, then it can't be doing you any good,
I suggest you don't go to the footy for a while.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Groucho » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:49 pm

So I'm supposed to enjoy losing and being win-less at the bottom of the Premiership Ladder?
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Magellan
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Groucho wrote:So I'm supposed to enjoy losing and being win-less at the bottom of the Premiership Ladder?

bloke, at the end of the day, it's only footy.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby northerner » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Groucho wrote:So I'm supposed to enjoy losing and being win-less at the bottom of the Premiership Ladder?

bloke, at the end of the day, it's only footy.

Seems too personal for you Grouch.... it is supposed to be a diversion, a distraction from real life stresses. If its your main stress in life then (a) how lucky you are! and (b) walk away and come back when things are on the up and up....
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Mic » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 pm

Hender's free kick in the last quarter was one of the worst decisions I have ever witnessed in over 30 years of going to the football.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL