Good Movies

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: Good Movies

Postby JK » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Bum Crack wrote: I saw this a while back on Foxtel and I couldn't believe the age differences of the characters from when they were in the series. Shit they'd got old. I enjoyed it though. I loved Deadwood.

It was weird how it affected some more than others (albeit thats a fairly standard part of life I guess). Charlie Utter, Bullock and Sol all looked at least 20 years older, but the rest scrubbed up pretty well relatively speaking. Joanie Stubbs still looks mint for her age.

Another interesting aside which was either my memory letting me down, or a change for the movie version, was the several references for Jane becoming "Calamity Jane" (which we always knew she was anyway).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:32 pm

JK wrote:Watched the long awaited movie conclusion to Deadwood last night. Was a bit of a weird feeling on several fronts - Re-acquainting with characters I hadn't seen in more than a decade and watching something that was filmed for movie purposes rather than a weekly series (can't really put my finger on it, but there was a noticeable difference). Then there was obviously the age changes to contend with (which were surprisingly stark in some, yet not as pronounced in others).

Anyhoo, what started as a trepidation filled view fairly quickly slipped right back into the zone of yesteryear(s) as soon as you heard those glorious references to "Swedgin" and "F***ing Woo". By the time the film was over it seemed a well told story that added closure to the series and for most of the characters.

It's likely prompted me to find time to start the series again from S1E1, such was the great quality of cast, story and dialogue. If you were a fan of the series then it's definitely worth a look, and for others I'd suggest smashing out the HBO weekly stuff before watching this flick.

@Jimmy_041 have you seen this mate, and if so what'd ya think?

Never seen it. I dont have Stan
I dont mind a good western and I like Ian McShane movies
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby JK » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
JK wrote:Watched the long awaited movie conclusion to Deadwood last night. Was a bit of a weird feeling on several fronts - Re-acquainting with characters I hadn't seen in more than a decade and watching something that was filmed for movie purposes rather than a weekly series (can't really put my finger on it, but there was a noticeable difference). Then there was obviously the age changes to contend with (which were surprisingly stark in some, yet not as pronounced in others).

Anyhoo, what started as a trepidation filled view fairly quickly slipped right back into the zone of yesteryear(s) as soon as you heard those glorious references to "Swedgin" and "F***ing Woo". By the time the film was over it seemed a well told story that added closure to the series and for most of the characters.

It's likely prompted me to find time to start the series again from S1E1, such was the great quality of cast, story and dialogue. If you were a fan of the series then it's definitely worth a look, and for others I'd suggest smashing out the HBO weekly stuff before watching this flick.

@Jimmy_041 have you seen this mate, and if so what'd ya think?

Never seen it. I dont have Stan
I dont mind a good western and I like Ian McShane movies

My bad, I though I recalled you were a Deadwood fan .. Maybe it was the Wire or something? Worth a look if it ever becomes available on one of the networks you can access - Ian McShane's best ever role imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:53 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:I saw 1917 on Friday night with mates and overall I really enjoyed it. I can't remember loving the start of a film more than I did watching the start of 1917 with the soldiers in the trenches, the way it was shot was just so immersive and gave you no time to look away or zone out of what was happening on screen. The second half of the film is a bit messy but as whole it is a great film mainly because of the way it's shot. It really gives you a sense of how horrible trench warfare was.

Seen this last Sunday. Agree the start is brilliant.
It makes you wonder why this type of filmography hasn't been done before.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:47 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:I saw 1917 on Friday night with mates and overall I really enjoyed it. I can't remember loving the start of a film more than I did watching the start of 1917 with the soldiers in the trenches, the way it was shot was just so immersive and gave you no time to look away or zone out of what was happening on screen. The second half of the film is a bit messy but as whole it is a great film mainly because of the way it's shot. It really gives you a sense of how horrible trench warfare was.

saw this the other night... Loved it

You should watch Midway too, I watched it during the week and loved it. Very good representation of the conflict between the US and Japan in the Pacific theatre during WW2. I probably enjoyed it more than 1917.

I watched Midway tonight. That was somewhere between Australia (where a Jap plane drops a torpedo on Darwin harbour and blows it up) and Pearl Harbour (another $hit war film)
Watch the original Midway. You won’t regret it DK. Real ships and planes :shock:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby LMA » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 am

JK wrote:
Bum Crack wrote: I saw this a while back on Foxtel and I couldn't believe the age differences of the characters from when they were in the series. Shit they'd got old. I enjoyed it though. I loved Deadwood.

It was weird how it affected some more than others (albeit thats a fairly standard part of life I guess). Charlie Utter, Bullock and Sol all looked at least 20 years older, but the rest scrubbed up pretty well relatively speaking. Joanie Stubbs still looks mint for her age.

Another interesting aside which was either my memory letting me down, or a change for the movie version, was the several references for Jane becoming "Calamity Jane" (which we always knew she was anyway).

Have had this on my watchlist for so long. Even having daily emails from our new accounts lady named Trixie hasn't prompted me to watch it. I think I'm worried that it won't live up to what forever changed viewing for myself and many others.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Corona Man » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:36 am

The Bedge wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Joaquin Phoenix won the Oscar for best actor for his role as the Joker.
I didn't love the movie but wow he was fantastic in it IMO

I didn't love the movie, but Phoenix was exceptional, drew me in. Thought the movie was a bit slow as it played out the story but when it finished I appreciated the build up and how it all came together.

Went from 0-100 real quick at the end.

Enjoyed it in the end, but didn't love it.

Tend to agree with above comments here.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby JK » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:27 am

LMA wrote:
JK wrote:

Have had this on my watchlist for so long. Even having daily emails from our new accounts lady named Trixie hasn't prompted me to watch it. I think I'm worried that it won't live up to what forever changed viewing for myself and many others.

It does feel an abrupt end at times, but I reckon there’s no avoiding that trying to wrap up in 90 mins or so. Totally understand your reservations, I was a bit the same, with a look though I reckon mate.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Charlie Wilson's war
On SBS now
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Mic » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:33 pm

The best films I have watched in the past few months are Joker, 1917 and Parasite. Loved all 3.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am

Mic wrote:The best films I have watched in the past few months are Joker, 1917 and Parasite. Loved all 3.

Amazing.. Loved both
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Corona Man » Sat May 02, 2020 9:39 am

We are going to go and get 1917 on DVD today to watch....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon May 04, 2020 5:15 pm

What did you think? I didn't like it was more like a marvel movie, the guy just needed a cape.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby JK » Tue May 05, 2020 1:22 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:What did you think? I didn't like it was more like a marvel movie, the guy just needed a cape.

The Trailer put me off for similar reason. came across as a hero movie. I'll get around to it someday I'm sure.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Bad Education
Knew nothing about the basis of the movie :shock:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Tue May 26, 2020 12:53 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Bad Education

I've been keen to watch this one, but the missus is proving stubborn lol. Was worth the look MT?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:54 pm

JK wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Bad Education

I've been keen to watch this one, but the missus is proving stubborn lol. Was worth the look MT?
Yeah worth a gander

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:52 pm

Only a few decades behind here, but I watched (I think for the first time*) Blues Brothers on Netflix.

Well worth the couple of hours.

*I have seen the car chases before, but not the entire movie start to finish.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby DOC » Sun May 31, 2020 12:53 pm

How the hell have you avoided it?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:12 pm

DOC wrote:How the hell have you avoided it?

Not on purpose, but I think because I've seen so many snippets, I've never been bothered watching the middle bits.

Turns out, I don't think I've seen all the car chases, nor music scenes - EVER!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment