COVID-19 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: COVID-19 (Country)

Postby Number7 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Number7 wrote:The real question is why? I think the 2020 season is just about done! To much at stake to try and continue at this point.

With ZERO cases in the state clubs and leagues need to be asking why not? Can you imagine in July on a chilly but fine Saturday, with all restrictions pretty much lifted, not heading out to watch some footy?

At the very least Juniors should be playing, I just went past a school at lunchtime with kids playing full contact footy. I feel for the Yank juniors, perhaps a club down the road might be getting a few enquiries.

We are pretty much mid June before we could possible play? We start training this week, costs - Lighting, medical equipment, tape, insurance. We cannot open the bar, kitchens, canteen facilities, therefore reduced income. This is before we pay anyone?

I am not disagreeing with any of the previous comments, and I miss the football. But financially, its a very tough year at the moment and wont improve if we play.
Number7

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby scottroo » Mon May 18, 2020 4:15 pm

Surely with sponsorship money, assuming they are staying onboard, along with other fundraising can get a club through 6 weeks of minor expenses?

There’s no expenses on players at the minute and looking like reduced payments during the 9 match season?
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby batmanbegins » Mon May 18, 2020 4:41 pm

scottroo wrote:Surely with sponsorship money, assuming they are staying onboard, along with other fundraising can get a club through 6 weeks of minor expenses?

There’s no expenses on players at the minute and looking like reduced payments during the 9 match season?

I assume some of these clubs won't be getting much or any sponsorship money. Its going to be tough for most businesses to sponsor at this point in time. Still think they might be pulling the pin a bit early but they obviously have there reasons.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 18, 2020 4:47 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
scottroo wrote:Surely with sponsorship money, assuming they are staying onboard, along with other fundraising can get a club through 6 weeks of minor expenses?

I assume some of these clubs won't be getting much or any sponsorship money. Its going to be tough for most businesses to sponsor at this point in time. Still think they might be pulling the pin a bit early but they obviously have there reasons.

Wouldn’t most of their sponsors had been locked in before this happened?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby SuperFrank » Mon May 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Brodlach wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

Wouldn’t most of their sponsors had been locked in before this happened?

Sposors signing up doesn't mean the invoice has been paid. But some clubs are on the ball & some not so much, also some sponsors may have season long terms to pay.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Trader » Mon May 18, 2020 6:35 pm

I wonder if the players could pay subs to cover the costs of tape etc?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon May 18, 2020 6:50 pm

Start junior footy in two weeks time and forget about seniors for the whole year.

You cant have some clubs pulling out and others playing, it will be the death of some clubs if that happens, especially in smaller more remote comps.

All in or nothing at all.

I think clubs have put the onerous complying with covid restrictions and return to train and play guidelines in the too hard basket for volunteers.

Do people really think that our alrerady proven nanny states ultra conservative approach is going to change so quick that we can have full crowds and bars at a game of country footy in time to get a meaningful season in. Need at least 12 weeks
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Footy Chick » Mon May 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Trader wrote:I wonder if the players could pay subs to cover the costs of tape etc?

no strapping allowed by trainers - if they want to tape themselves, they can pay for the roll they need.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby heater31 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:26 pm

The entire Great Flinders Football league will not go ahead in season 2020.

A couple of clubs already sailing close to the wind in this league
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dirty dog » Wed May 20, 2020 2:11 pm

heater31 wrote:The entire Great Flinders Football league will not go ahead in season 2020.

This is just the beginning and I can see more in the next 3 weeks doing the same.
We (YP league) had a chance to do it Monday night and went weak in the knees and sat on the fence and now wait until the next meeting in 3 weeks.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby heater31 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Dirty dog wrote:
heater31 wrote:The entire Great Flinders Football league will not go ahead in season 2020.

This is just the beginning and I can see more in the next 3 weeks doing the same.
We (YP league) had a chance to do it Monday night and went weak in the knees and sat on the fence and now wait until the next meeting in 3 weeks.
Just seems that the extra workload on volunteers to get a season is too much.

A couple of clubs already operate on a tightrope so fear for their future.
Cancelling this year does present another set of issues if you were in the top age bracket of the under age grades!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 pm

heater31 wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:

Just seems that the extra workload on volunteers to get a season is too much.

A couple of clubs already operate on a tightrope so fear for their future.
Cancelling this year does present another set of issues if you were in the top age bracket of the under age grades!

I wouldn't mind seeing in the APFL the brackets change a little to 18's * 15's, I think there's a less physical difference between these gaps than what there is between 14's &* 17's.

Shortening the quarters for the 18's would work better as there aren't many clubs with a full compliment of players, too many times players swap guernseys and if it's half warm the players are rooted by 3 quarter time from all the extra ground they've covered and the majority play again in the A's or B's.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Number7 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Speaking with 1 APFL Coach, already struggling to get numbers back on the track. Another club will struggle with B Grade, not to mention the financial impact coming.
Number7

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Number7 wrote:Speaking with 1 APFL Coach, already struggling to get numbers back on the track. Another club will struggle with B Grade, not to mention the financial impact coming.

I thought there was only 1 APFL that had re-commenced training this week?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Hazbeen » Wed May 20, 2020 4:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Number7 wrote:Speaking with 1 APFL Coach, already struggling to get numbers back on the track. Another club will struggle with B Grade, not to mention the financial impact coming.

I thought there was only 1 APFL that had re-commenced training this week?

2 started this week and another 3 likely next week
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Ace of Spades » Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Costs and practicalities for volunteers aside, the CFL should just make the decision to pack everyone up until next year to save the fall out of mass clearances when some clubs and associations decide they cannot play and some do play, or some clubs can afford to pay players and some cant.

If players leave a club which isn't playing, to go to one that is playing because they love footy and just want to play, what are the chances they'll all return to the original club the following year? Could be the end of a number of clubs.

or are we holding off on a decision until after clearances close on June 30?
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Number7 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Ace of Spades wrote:Costs and practicalities for volunteers aside, the CFL should just make the decision to pack everyone up until next year to save the fall out of mass clearances when some clubs and associations decide they cannot play and some do play, or some clubs can afford to pay players and some cant.

If players leave a club which isn't playing, to go to one that is playing because they love footy and just want to play, what are the chances they'll all return to the original club the following year? Could be the end of a number of clubs.

or are we holding off on a decision until after clearances close on June 30?

Agreed, The season should be cancelled. At least clubs can then begin the planning process for next season.
Number7

Postby Dirty dog » Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Dirty dog wrote:I can hear the a Benny Hill music playing now it’s a circus.
Some leagues want to play but some clubs within that league don’t. Some clubs want to play and leagues haven’t mad decisions yet.
Ardrossan in my league already out and our meeting is tomorrow night and netball has pulled out last week so we are on the ropes.
Someone at the top needs to fix all this uncertainty. Are we playing,are we not playing,crowds,no crowds, salary cap,no salary cap, clearance open, clearance closed etc etc it goes on and on.
It’s time to make a tuff call, we are all in it together or not at all.

I agree, cancel it
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Lol
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Be interesting to see how many playing coaches claim for their time
The facts are blokes travelling to the country are gonna want to be paid
That’s why they’re their in the first place
Arry Gablett
Under 16s