mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:11 pm

Outcomes from the meeting between the Education Minister and the IEU:

IEU state and federal officials have held two positive meetings with federal Education Minister Dan Tehan.

The key take-aways were
• Schools should not be open for students generally, but some students (eg special needs students, or the children of essential service workers) may need to be working on site
• An urgent response from the government is needed to provide direction on the protection of vulnerable workers (eg pregnant, older, health compromised, carers)
• The impact of closures on non-teaching staff needs to be addressed urgently in the event of closures. Given the substantial level of public funding from the federal government to non-government schools, that all support staff remain employed and paid
• Supplies of thermometers, sanitiser etc must be accelerated
• Hybrid onsite/offsite learning is acceptable with strong caveats as to workload and acceptable staffing arrangements
• More work will be done with IEU and government especially when schools reopen to “normal” mode
• IEU is keen to be part of conversation with assessment authorities/government/employers in each jurisdiction
• ELICOS and ELC sectors will have particular needs as well.
We are expecting that a statement can be made very soon to address the concerns about vulnerable workers. The response has been more positive than with any discussions with our employers.

From now on, I will just publish information such as this, no more commenting ;)
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:I know I only have a little brain that struggles with a lot of these issues, but:

The CMO stated he was puzzled at why Covid-19 is mainly affecting people in the 20-39 year old age groups, rather than the expected 60+.

Studies in Vu, Wuhan, Massachusetts and Iceland have shown that most shedding is from people who are asymptomatic.

Studies have shown that most schoolchildren are asymptomatic.

Most school parents are in the20-39 year old age groups.

Possible connection??

On another note:
Schools in "Singapore have started closing down.

https://whichschooladvisor.com/singapor ... e-learning

'two of Singapore’s largest international schools have decided, unilaterally, to close and move to online learning.'

'However, we have now reached the point where we feel we should move to remote learning.
'

Huh?

A few pages back it was only Mexico and Australia with open schools (due to their religious leaders)

My bad: Singapore aren't in the OECD

Btw, Mexico has now closed their schools.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Q. wrote:Ya reckon I can get a webcam from anywhere :shock:

Ya dirty bastard

;)

Need to make some extra $$ on the side now
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm

tipper wrote:
I might have one kicking around at home you can have. I dont think ive ever used it, and if i am told to work from home nobody will want to see that anyway.

Ill look for it tonight when i get home and let you know if i find it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Beauty beauty :D
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby tigerpie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:This idiot needs a month in Long Bay to think about his life

https://www.2gb.com/watch-imbecile-coug ... ronavirus/

I sincerely hope that he "falls down the stairs" in the police station.

quote from article: "his girlfriend must have the IQ of a kumquat" :lol:

Or the old " watch your head"...bang, as they put him in the car!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Jase wrote:So the eldest son works at Coles in the freezer section and he discovered last night that one of the girls he has been working closely with has been in close contact with someone at Uni who has tested +ve.

He is at home for the next couple of days doing online learning (he's in Year 12) though he did just send me a photo of the assembled gymastics bar we ordered for one of the girls that arrived today and decide to setup.

We have had conversations with the Principal and Middle School Director and they have advised we don't need to Self Isolate (Yet)...

Confusing as to what we do...

Jase, wishing you the best with whichever decision you make. It is all so confusing.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Q. wrote:
tipper wrote:
I might have one kicking around at home you can have. I dont think ive ever used it, and if i am told to work from home nobody will want to see that anyway.

Ill look for it tonight when i get home and let you know if i find it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Beauty beauty :D

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/technology/computer-accessories/webcams
Oops not available
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Update on countries which have closed schools nationally:

1,418,764,116 affected learners
82.5% of total enrolled learners
156 country-wide closures

There are 195 countries in the world; 39 still have some schools open ; Australia is the only one in the OECD, the others are generally small African nations, 3 are small nations in Asia, 4 in Central America and the one other is Papua New Guinea.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby JK » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:28 pm

The Bedge wrote:Just got news the ex (mother of my daughter) son has been tested this morning after passing out in the shower and recording a temp of 38.7, and an elevated heart rate and respiratory rate for his age/size.

Now to play the waiting game and find out.. interesting times.

Just read on the ultra reliable FB, that a young lad from Trinity has tested positive, not sure if this would be your ex’s lad mate?

Regardless I hope he’s Ok mate and gets through it (obviously same with the other lad if they’re not one and the same)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:33 pm

We're up to 56% of students away today. I reckon it will increase again tomorrow with the amount of businesses closing up tonight.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:35 pm

Brodlach wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Actually started classes online today

Those 110 kids and 8 teachers leave isolation tomorrow

This came from the Principal

Correct, they have moved to delivering lessons online. The school will remain 'open' but most parents are voting with their feet and preferring to have their children take up the online option, it would appear.
No one ever said they were totally closing; just that they have created the option for students to now work from home, if parents wish. Brodlach, you appear to be in the know. What proportion of Unley High students are attending phyisical classes today?

I cannot tell you today but Monday and Tuesday was around 30% in class. I know one online lesson right now that normally has 27 students there are 7 logged in. I’m not really “in the know” TBH, just telling what I do know (if that makes sense)

Thanks so much, Brodlach. Sorry if I seem 'testy' at times. I am just worried for teachers, and for students. I just can't see how Australia is getting advice that is totally different to that being received from the rest of the world. At the moment, it is only a few developing nations and Australia that has any schools open, apart from Singapore (if we did all the temperature testing that Singapore did, then I would probably be less concerned).
Thanks
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Pag wrote:We're up to 56% of students away today. I reckon it will increase again tomorrow with the amount of businesses closing up tonight.

Agree, we jumped up from 14% to 25% overnight.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm

bulldogproud wrote:Outcomes from the meeting between the Education Minister and the IEU:

• The impact of closures on non-teaching staff needs to be addressed urgently in the event of closures. Given the substantial level of public funding from the federal government to non-government schools, that all support staff remain employed and paid

What does this part mean, surely teachers and non teaching staff realise that if there is no work there is no employment, just like the everyone else???
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Mums nursing home is closed to all visitors.
Anyone entering the building (essential services) is temperature checked on entry.
What's the point if its on their clothes, tools, bags etc. but they have no symptoms yet?
This would apply to kids going to school as well I guess, little germ spreading buggers.
I know of instances, all parents would, of parents sending kids to school knowing they have head lice.
You know, the parents that think its day care so I can go to the pokies or get shitfaced all day types.
I feel for these kids now going to be stuck home with abusive pissed off parents.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Pag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Outcomes from the meeting between the Education Minister and the IEU:

What does this part mean, surely teachers and non teaching staff realise that if there is no work there is no employment, just like the everyone else???

Teachers will be still be teaching from home? Why wouldn't they be getting paid?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Teachers will be still be teaching from home? Why wouldn't they be getting paid?

Mate you’ll be earning your money and will be paid accordingly.
Nothing less than full pay for teachers IMO!
Keep up the good work.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Schools would still be operating, just on a different model; online. Not one of my students would miss a single lesson more than they would normally. We can teach online quite effectively. I just had a lesson with my Accounting students on Microsoft Teams - it was just like being there, a Microsoft Word document was visible on everyone's screen that I gave the instructions and steps on.

We had videos and microphones on to take questions and give answers.

Support staff are still very much involved in assisting with our delivery; IT staff even moreso than normal. Support staff are contacting all parents daily to see how things are with their children.

EVERYONE in a school would still be working just as hard, if not harder.

Hope that helps the understanding.

This is also why we all get so frustrated when it is said that if we close, students will lose a year of their education: total, absolute bunkum! They don't need to lose any of their education. Well, as long as they have computers and a working internet - those are areas the govt should be addressing with their stimulus spending.

Cheers
Last edited by bulldogproud on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Are you not on a contract or are some teachers different?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Are you not on a contract or are some teachers different?

Most teachers are permanent. Beginning teachers are on contracts until they gain their permanency. Some are unable to gain permanency but that is the aim of every teacher.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion