Trans Tasman Trophy

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Trans Tasman Trophy

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:46 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Peter Siddle has announced his international retirement.
Will finish with 67 tests, taking 221 test wickets @30.66, 13th on the most test wicket for Australia list.

Serviceable hard worker who wore his heart on his sleeve.

I wasn’t his biggest fan but had respect for the bloke who clearly took pride and understood what the baggy green means.

Wish him all the best in the future, I hope he makes a mint playing the t20 circuit he deserves it.

I watched his press conference from earlier today where he said he isn't looking to play any T20 circuit cricket yet as he still loves and wants to play red ball cricket with Victoria and Essex aswell as playing with the Strikers. You could tell he knows where he's at and knows it's unlikely that he'll play test cricket again with the depth of fast bowlers Australia now has but still loves and wants to play the longer format at first class level. He's become a very good T20 bowler though and like you said deserves to earn some decent coin exclusively playing T20 cricket.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:48 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Peter Siddle has announced his international retirement.
Will finish with 67 tests, taking 221 test wickets @30.66, 13th on the most test wicket for Australia list.

Serviceable hard worker who wore his heart on his sleeve.

I wasn’t his biggest fan but had respect for the bloke who clearly took pride and understood what the baggy green means.

Wish him all the best in the future, I hope he makes a mint playing the t20 circuit he deserves it.

I watched his press conference from earlier today where he said he isn't looking to play any T20 circuit cricket yet as he still loves and wants to play red ball cricket with Victoria and Essex aswell as playing with the Strikers. You could tell he knows where he's at and knows it's unlikely that he'll play test cricket again with the depth of fast bowlers Australia now has but still loves and wants to play the longer format at first class level. He's become a very good T20 bowler though and like you said deserves to earn some decent coin exclusively playing T20 cricket.

Wish more cricketers had his attitude.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:46 am

After 2 tests
Stats provided by the Foxtel team

SMITH V WAGNER
116 balls faced
22 runs scored
4 times dismissed
5-50 average

WARNER V WAGNER
44 balls faced
21 runs scored
3 times dismissed
7-00 average

When you consider just how well Smith and Warner bat on Australian test matches , Wagners stats against them is astounding
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Former NSW off spinner Will Somerville has been added to NZ's squad for the Sydney test as replacement for Trent Boult, he and legspinner Todd Astle are a chance to replace Mitch Santner.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby locky801 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:58 pm

mal wrote:After 2 tests

SMITH V WAGNER
116 balls faced
22 runs scored
4 times dismissed
5-50 average

WARNER V WAGNER
44 balls faced
21 runs scored
3 times dismissed
7-00 average

When you consider just how well Smith and Warner bat on Australian test matches , Wagners stats against them is astounding

Neither of them have batted well against him, he has a plan to each of them, sticks to it and reaps the rewards, have been very disappointed with Smith this series
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:36 am

locky801 wrote:

SMITH V WAGNER
116 balls faced
22 runs scored
4 times dismissed
5-50 average

WARNER V WAGNER
44 balls faced
21 runs scored
3 times dismissed
7-00 average

Neither of them have batted well against him, he has a plan to each of them, sticks to it and reaps the rewards, have been very disappointed with Smith this series

Whilst Smith's performance this series was disappointing i think we might be underestimating the toll the Ashes series took on him both mentally and physically. It was his first series back in test cricket, he batted for seriously long times and was struck a few times as well.

I'm sure Smith will go away now and work on his deficiencies and come back even better. My money will be on him to be our leading run scorer against India next Summer. I'm sure he will stand up when we really really really need him.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:18 am

whufc wrote:
locky801 wrote:

SMITH V WAGNER
116 balls faced
22 runs scored
4 times dismissed
5-50 average

WARNER V WAGNER
44 balls faced
21 runs scored
3 times dismissed
7-00 average

Whilst Smith's performance this series was disappointing i think we might be underestimating the toll the Ashes series took on him both mentally and physically. It was his first series back in test cricket, he batted for seriously long times and was struck a few times as well.

I'm sure Smith will go away now and work on his deficiencies and come back even better. My money will be on him to be our leading run scorer against India next Summer. I'm sure he will stand up when we really really really need him.

Smudge has been named by Justin Langer as the best problem solving batsman in the game, his ability to adapt to conditions, bowlers and situations of matches has been elite. No doubt he will go away and work on his current problem, I'm interested to see what he does in the third test now and in the future, as no doubt other teams and bowlers will try and employ Wagner's tactics to him.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:31 am

I'm a spud country hack but personally i would probably be looking to duck and get out the way of as many as possible.

This Aussie side is patient and relies on bring bowlers back for multiple spells. If he wants to bowl an entire spell of bouncers for limited runs but no wickets good luck to him, they can cash in from the other end and then cash in on Wagners next spell. The pitches are very true in Australia and with Wagners lack of pace Smith should be able to easily identify the shorter balls and get away from them.

I think what we have seen from T20 cricket and modern technology is that captains have the most accurate, statistical proven data to show which exact blade of grass a fielder should be on. The days of the 80's and 90's where the fine leg and deep square leg went to the exact same spot regardless of bowler, batter, ground etc are long gone. This makes the pull and hook so much harder in modern cricket, also the creation of things such as slower ball bouncer which never existed before.

TBH as far as a bowling tactic goes its pretty low risk, high reward. You bowl a foot outside off eventually the batter will happily move across his stumps and hit you to any part of the ground with some what ease (use Smith as an example). Ball full and the whole field is open to the modern day batsmen with ramps etc. You bowl as short as Wagner does and you literally take out half the ground and anything in front of the wicket, enabling the captain to have 6-7 blokes behind and square of the wicket.

Good to see Smithy take on my advice :)

Money in the bank by the end of the night.
Last edited by whufc on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 am

No cap presentation at the huddle so the team looks like it will be unchanged
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:39 am

Williamson out

Australia to score 500+

Big test for joe Burns, needs a score
Last edited by Armchair expert on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:40 am

NZ decimated

Tom Latham (c), Tom Blundell, Jeet Raval, Ross Taylor, Glenn Phillips, BJ Watling (wk), Colin de Grandhomme, Todd Astle, Will Somerville, Matt Henry, Neil Wagner
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby David Brent » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:15 am

Brodlach wrote:NZ decimated

Tom Latham (c), Tom Blundell, Jeet Raval, Ross Taylor, Glenn Phillips, BJ Watling (wk), Colin de Grandhomme, Todd Astle, Will Somerville, Matt Henry, Neil Wagner

4 Keepers in this line up. Staggering!
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:18 am

Brodlach wrote:NZ decimated

From what I've read Southee has been dropped, wtf?! That's ridiculous.
Santner is apparently ill like Williamson and Nicholls but surely he was going to be dropped anyway.
Tom Latham is NZ's 30th test captain.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:39 am

I can’t remember a worse opening pair in World cricket at this level. Henry is average and DeGrandhomme wouldn’t look out of place playing B grade at district level. Then they have a NSW reject to come in and chuck a few pies. Really a chance for a few blokes to pad their stats
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:05 am

Geezus Burns
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am

Jim05 wrote:Geezus Burns

Somewhat sadly because he seems like a good bloke the line has to be drawn through him.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:25 am

That was a real good delivery to get out too, de Grandhomme getting some good swing again as he's consistently swung the ball all tour.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby David Brent » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:28 am

whufc wrote:

Somewhat sadly because he seems like a good bloke the line has to be drawn through him.

Who you bringing in to open?
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby mal » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:38 am

A few years ago I posted Will Sommerville had the potential to play test cricket :shock:
He also has the potential be a stuntman in movies for Hugh Jackman ....
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 am

David Brent wrote:
whufc wrote:

Who you bringing in to open?

At the end of the day he literally is adding no value to the side so you might as well bring in any young cricketer who shows potential at least we might have a future test batsmen on our hands.

The bolter for mine is Bryce Street from Queensland.....you heard it here first. lol.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket