Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Dutchy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 am

its good that they have come to their senses and changed their mind, but I think most are still astounded about the original decision.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:27 am

Dutchy wrote:its good that they have come to their senses and changed their mind, but I think most are still astounded about the original decision.

I'm not a "one club" advocate but I do appreciate the captain wearing the #1 guernsey, hence there should be 1 captain.

I've never been a fan of co-captains, there's one leader out there IMO. then there are the deputies of each zone, a captain and two vice's is ideal IMO.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:59 am

Brodlach wrote:I’m happy for everyone to jump on the Hate Port bandwagon but they tried something, didn’t work so they reverted. No big deal IMO

Has been interesting watching the fall out on social media.

Those who spent all least summer whingeing about the co captaincy decision have started this summer by whinging about the decision to revert to one captain after just one season.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:01 am

amber_fluid wrote:Where’s Booney?
He still in Bali?

What’s his thoughts on one captain and in particular it being Jonas?

I'm back, I knew you'd miss me. :heart:

I'm fine with it being one captain again, I'm fine with it being Jonas, personally I would have given it to Hartlett but understand that he was just coming back form an ACL last year so it would have been difficult for him to have been made one of the co captains last year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:38 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Ollie being sacked as Captain, due to his Manager sounding out other clubs in the trade period?

At least it will make it easier for him to leave next year

He'll be in the blue and white hoops next year

Are North changing their guernsey design
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:42 am

Common sense at Port has prevailed, the biggest mistake would have been to remained stubborn and kept the co-captains.

Not sure anyone at Port will be bothered by being giving shit for reverting back after 1 year.

You have to trust who your club selects as Captain we literally see a microscopic amount of what happens at a football club during unless your actively involved in the day to day.

Im sure the likes of Wines and Hartlett will still be 'leaders' around the club, essentially the captain is just the figure head for all of the leaders.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:49 am

whufc wrote:Common sense at Port has prevailed, the biggest mistake would have been to remained stubborn and kept the co-captains.

This.

Anyone being critical of the club for trying something they thought would help the club and then upon finding that it's not working ( or not being accepted ) and reverting back to the original plan is just firing shots from the cheap seats.

Also, anyone suggesting ( as I've read elsewhere ) that the club making football decisions based on member feedback is a perilous state to be in is off the mark, members are the club, those in positions of power are just custodians for a period of time, the members are, typically, there for life and in Port and other older clubs, generations.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:06 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Common sense at Port has prevailed, the biggest mistake would have been to remained stubborn and kept the co-captains.

This.

Anyone being critical of the club for trying something they thought would help the club and then upon finding that it's not working ( or not being accepted ) and reverting back to the original plan is just firing shots from the cheap seats.

Also, anyone suggesting ( as I've read elsewhere ) that the club making football decisions based on member feedback is a perilous state to be in is off the mark, members are the club, those in positions of power are just custodians for a period of time, the members are, typically, there for life and in Port and other older clubs, generations.

Thanks Kochie.

How all these justifications weren’t thought of 12 months ago is astounding. Considering members were against it last year.

A total **** imho
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am

Then Kochie yesterday claimed that having the duel captains was a success!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mots02 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 am

Dutchy wrote:Then Kochie yesterday claimed that having the duel captains was a success!

So even Kochie is a Port happy clapper?!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:01 am

Dutchy wrote:Then Kochie yesterday claimed that having the duel captains was a success!
Then why change it?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 am

Not like you to be misleading when it comes to Port. Koch did not say "It was a success" at all. Koch said "It worked" (it certainly wasn't the reason we missed finals action) but the feedback from the members was that we/they preferred the one captain model and through consultation with members, the football department and the clubs leaders it was decided to go back to the one captain model for our 150th anniversary celebration season.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 am

Booney wrote:

Not like you to be misleading when it comes to Port. Koch did not say "It was a success" at all. Koch said "It worked" (it certainly wasn't the reason we missed finals action) but the feedback from the members was that we/they preferred the one captain model and through consultation with members, the football department and the clubs leaders it was decided to go back to the one captain model for our 150th anniversary celebration season.

Same thing, if it worked then it was successful.

My recollection was members gave negative feedback before the decision, yet they still went against this feedback. Sounds like footy dept overrode the Admin, but now its been reversed.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:46 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Same thing, if it worked then it was successful.

My recollection was members gave negative feedback before the decision, yet they still went against this feedback. Sounds like footy dept overrode the Admin, but now its been reversed.

Coming in here with "Koch said it was a success!" does not reflect his comments, but I'm accustomed to you bashing at any opportunity. All good.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:52 am

I heard it last night, I was surprised how positive he was about it considering they are changing this model.

I have listened to it again and you are correct, he said it worked, not successful. Either way from an outsider looking in it is all a bit strange.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am

They played in the same team 10 times during the year for a 5-5 record, wins against Eagles (away) and Geelong, then thrashings of Adelaide, Sydney and Freo paint a good picture but the belting we copped from the Kanga's, the dismal effort against the Dogs at home then Brisbane at home evened it out, the losses to Brisbane and Richmond early in the season were about on par to where we're at.

They tried it, I'd say it was a neither here nor there result, I'm glad it's shelved.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:24 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

They played in the same team 10 times during the year for a 5-5 record, wins against Eagles (away) and Geelong, then thrashings of Adelaide, Sydney and Freo paint a good picture but the belting we copped from the Kanga's, the dismal effort against the Dogs at home then Brisbane at home evened it out, the losses to Brisbane and Richmond early in the season were about on par to where we're at.

They tried it, I'd say it was a neither here nor there result, I'm glad it's shelved.

I'm not sure on field success is the only measure of whether the leadership model worked or not, in fact it's probably one of several that would need to be considered.

Did the next generation of leaders benefit from the leadership of the two captains and the vice captain?

Did dual captains allow the two leaders to move into the role with less pressure from external ( media ) sources?

Did having dual captains prepare them both better for the role in the future as individuals if they have the opportunity?

Me, I think the captaincy, whilst an honour at (almost) any club isn't as much about game day as it is about setting standards in training, preparing yourself as best you can to perform on game day, being the conduit between playing group, coaching and the club, being the "front man" for media etc. Beyond tossing the coin I don't think captains do the bulk of their work on field, it's done off field much, much more than the 2 hours they play on weekends.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:46 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I'm not sure on field success is the only measure of whether the leadership model worked or not, in fact it's probably one of several that would need to be considered.

Did the next generation of leaders benefit from the leadership of the two captains and the vice captain?

Did dual captains allow the two leaders to move into the role with less pressure from external ( media ) sources?

Did having dual captains prepare them both better for the role in the future as individuals if they have the opportunity?

Me, I think the captaincy, whilst an honour at (almost) any club isn't as much about game day as it is about setting standards in training, preparing yourself as best you can to perform on game day, being the conduit between playing group, coaching and the club, being the "front man" for media etc. Beyond tossing the coin I don't think captains do the bulk of their work on field, it's done off field much, much more than the 2 hours they play on weekends.

Agree captaincy for mine is more about off the field, training etc than the on-field, generally a captains playing style will naturally allow them to lead from example once on the field.

Its at 12am when the lads want to kick on to some dindgy night clubs , its the first fifteen minutes of a flat training session after a big loss when the players need to be kicked into gear, its setting the example in the gym during their personal workouts, its being engaged in all team meetings, casting a neutral & fair perspective on performances and selection decisions if involved.

I love any crack i can get at Port but i cant see how they have done to much wrong on this one. They tried a co-captaincy (not like other clubs havent tried this either), they have then done their annual review and for one reason or another decided it wasnt the best option moving forward and reverted back to a common model. Once again i think there would be so many things clubs try each year (training methods, gym methods, strategies etc) that dont work and they revert back after a year that go unnoticed.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 am

whufc wrote:I love any crack i can get at Port but i cant see how they have done to much wrong on this one. They tried a co-captaincy (not like other clubs havent tried this either), they have then done their annual review and for one reason or another decided it wasnt the best option moving forward and reverted back to a common model. Once again i think there would be so many things clubs try each year (training methods, gym methods, strategies etc) that dont work and they revert back after a year that go unnoticed.

Pretty well summed up.

I guess we can differentiate between who can look at things objectively with the PAFC and those who can't. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:57 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:I love any crack i can get at Port but i cant see how they have done to much wrong on this one. They tried a co-captaincy (not like other clubs havent tried this either), they have then done their annual review and for one reason or another decided it wasnt the best option moving forward and reverted back to a common model. Once again i think there would be so many things clubs try each year (training methods, gym methods, strategies etc) that dont work and they revert back after a year that go unnoticed.

Pretty well summed up.

I guess we can differentiate between who can look at things objectively with the PAFC and those who can't. ;)

yes, yes we can ;)

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL