Glenelg V Port Grand Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Alex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:04 pm

A stand alone South Adelaide or West Adelaide for example can survive as an SANFL team, why couldn't an SANFL only Port?
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Alex wrote:A stand alone South Adelaide or West Adelaide for example can survive as an SANFL team, why couldn't an SANFL only Port?

So you want to start a new club up?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Alex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Alex wrote:A stand alone South Adelaide or West Adelaide for example can survive as an SANFL team, why couldn't an SANFL only Port?

No, repair/return the existing club to a better structure
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Anyways, how bout dem Bays :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Spargo wrote:Anyways, how bout dem Bays :lol:

#stillpremiers
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:26 pm

Alex wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

No, repair/return the existing club to a better structure

Would be difficult. The power took over the magpies for the Prince of Wales license, all else was "smoke and mirrors".
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:45 am

*Warning – Gratuitous self indulgent post*
In the beginning there was a god called Graham and he was good, he made football and as a young SA kid I saw it was good.

Sundays result had it’s genesis for me 43 years ago when I first became interested in football as a five year old watching the Bays, after learning I had a cousin of my Dads (Peter Johnston #26) playing for them they were doing well. My first year was a portent of things to come ending with two finals losses and I quickly learnt to my horror we only had won two flags in our history to that point. In 77 I became hooked on them and my hero was Graham Cornes (had blond hair like I did) and would fly for those Marks. He was my childhood footy hero, the person I would dream I was in the backyard taking marks, trying to kick goals between the tank-stand and the cubby house. Despite leaving in Country SA would listen to the radio, watch “The Big Replay” religiously on GTS 4 on a Saturday night, trawl though the Sunday Mail on a Sunday. I remember getting my first Guernsey in 1978 and getting #12 sewn on ASAP. I loved Cornesy but also loved the likes of Hodgy, Peter Carey, Steve Hywood, Snout, Farqhuar, Paul Weston, Holsty, Paech, Whiting, Lihou, Caldwell, Rady, my cousin, McInerney Hercock. The seeds were sewn for a long love affair.

In 1979 my family moved to the back blocks of the NT (mining community) I was devastated I was removed from my Bays. However prior to leaving for the NT I got to go to my first Bays game. Unfortunately it was at Alberton as my Mother, and her parents were Port supporters. My first game was a loss and the natural hatred of Port was already established in the 1977 and 78 finals series it was further ingrained that day. Separation makes the heart grow fonder. Most weeks I had to wait until the Thursday to get the weekend results (my grandparents would send up the cuttings from the weekend papers) occasionally we would get wind of the results via the radio (ABC shortwave) or from interstate papers (usually a day or two behind time – freight). Trips back to Adelaide were highlighted with going to see Glenelg play (1980 beat Centrals and got to go into the Bays rooms for the first time and got autographs), 81 Sturt at Adel oval, Port in 82 another loss at that sh!thole but my love for the Bays was undiminished despite finals losses.

End of 83 we moved to Darwin and more readily access to SANFL results via the local Sunday paper I could sense the bays improving. The disappointment of 1984 was soon matched by the Euphoria of 1985 and 86. However despite the move to a more modern media friendly location, much to my horror the local TV station in Darwin had miscalculated it’s scheduling due to the pre-game entertainment so half way through the last quarter as we are flogging North like the b!tches they are as per the TV guide NTD 8 cuts from the SANFL GF to a repeat of the F***ing Leyland Brothers???? SO as I’m about to see for the first time my club for win the flag I had to make do with the radio broadcast. Not happy Jan. In 86 we weren’t as good but we made the GF. Unfortunately I had a prior commitment camping at with a Venturers activity. So as the Bay Oval was heaving I was sleeping in an upturned HR with gamba grass as a mattress and god knows how many redbacks. Sunday afternoon I saw to my mild surprise and euphoria, the Boys had gone Back to Back! The rest of the 80s were spent following the Bays and watching us lose GFs (yeah I know 89 finished in the Elimination)

I write the above to say how envious I am of you lot who got to live the 80s SANFL footy, arguably it's best era but the also the start of the change to what it is now. My absence made me love it more and is also one of the reasons why I hate Port so much I only had one year back before it all changed and I couldn't experience for only a couple more seasons before the planned entry to the VFL

In 1990 I came to Adelaide for Uni and started as working at the mighty Bays as a trainer as I planned to study Sports Science. There I got to mingle with some of my 80s heros (Symonds, McDermott, Marshall, Salisbury, Duthy, Gibbs and Seebs). But the 90s weren’t good to us as we failed to adapt to the changing landscape of the new footy landscape with the Crows and later Port Power. I loved being involved with the club though and trying to work to make it successful given my studies. At the end of the 90s I moved away again but still watched on from afar as we reached the nadir of the spoons and poor performances of the first part of the naughties but I still was paid up and proud even if we weren’t “Strong and United”

Moving back to SA in 2007 I got to jump on the tail of our upward swing thanks to Rubbers, Mulesy, Cranny, Panozzo, Benny Kane, Grima, Allen and Sherwood. I managed to help out at the club for another nine years but once again we couldn’t deliver when it mattered most despite the talent we had.

Itchy feet and job opportunities meant I moved away again. But even as I left late last year you could sense the change in the performance of the club as we got our first coach since Rubbers. This year with the digital pass, cold beers and a pool I got see a Glenelg side that more often than not could maintain pressure, move the ball efficiently and with dedicated players such as Snook, Proud, Bradley, Curran, Scott, Bailey, Joseph, Nicholson, and Agnew we were winning again, regularly. It was the Port game at Alberton that made me think, “Shit, we could do this!” I’d never seen a Glenelg side execute so much sustained pressure especially when the game was basically won. This emerging confidence was validated when I knew that come September we would be a better side with Scotta and Nicho to come back. Hmm, should I start planning a trip to Adelaide in Sept? Airfares were booked after the West game (top spot confirmed – only needed one win in Sept to make the GF). Accommodation booked after the 2nd Semi (despite the loss you could see we were down by about 10-15% but Port had played to their limit, IMO).

After the Prelim I was nervously excited, the limited footy knowledge I’ve got told me that our destiny was in our hands. We play crap and Port play well we would lose by two goals. We play well and Port play poorly it’s a 10 goal win to us. We both play well we should win by 4 goals. I boarded the flight on Saturday and went straight to the Mall presentations. Spoke to a lot of the boys and became more confident. They were primed, confident that they could win but focussed that they needed to concentrate on their roles and execute.

Got to the game and seats just before the boys ran out. Nervously excited. I new we had to start well given the 2nd Semi result, and we did. At quarter time I thought we could be in for a good day. The 2nd quarter started well but what I liked most at half time was the way we responded to when Port had control of the game we were able to lift our pressure and work rate when challenged and stick to our structures. Something we haven’t always done (2009 Prelim – that other GF). I knew we had to start the 3rd qtr well as Port would be wanting to come out hard in the 3rd as is their mantra for the “premiership qtr”. However Scotta the mad hard bastard delivered. Than some Motlop magic and I started to believe but then Port responded again. Four goals up at ¾ time I was thinking surely we couldn’t lose from here. Up steps Scotta again. The 18 min mark of the last I started hugging my son, the 2s boys I was standing next to by the bench, the Hose, some of the support staff, and then other Glenelg people I knew from my years there. Best of all we were going to win the GF against the club that caused us so much pain over the journey.

Then absolute euphoria. After 43 years I’d finally seen my team, my club, my passion win a flag. Indescribable emotions but lots of tears. I thought of those great GFC people I’d met on the journey who were watching from upstairs. I watched the on-field ceremony then walked around to our race and with my ticket was able to get into the rooms. Whilst the boys were doing the longest lap of honour ever I was hugging the likes, of Hodgy, Mulesy, shaking hands with Super, hugging the long serving support staff getting a few photos. As some of the players came in more hugs with the legends I’d managed to get to know over the journey. Then got to sing the song as the boys and coaches circled up. More hugs and euphoria then back to Dinner Function at the Marion. Down to the Bay by 9:30 and more Man Love™ with the Snouts, catching up with the clubs cultural leader Symo, more hugs with past players, and mates, more beer as the voice started to go. It was all so surreal.

Outside of marriage and kids this was the greatest moment of my life. To beat Port in a GF was a dream come true. It is something I have been dreaming of witnessing for over 40 years. It was done by 21 legends led by Stoney who were un-yielding in their pressure on the ball and the body. Their willingness to do the little things the hard things to achieve victory is unbeaten in the annals of the GFC history, IMO. They were manic and committed. Every-time Port tried to lift to break the game open we would go to another gear. The day was stressful and I never felt confident until the 18 min mark of the fourth but on-reflection the reality is after quarter time we basically had the game won.

Back home and on reflection I am rueing the that I missed the chimney ceremony, I didn’t get to thank Chig for all his hard work and I’m quite liking this feeling of being SANFL Premiers.

I think we should go Back to back I like flags and all the feelings they bring!

Apologies once again for the gratuitous self indulgent post. Over the journey my involvement in and following of the GFC has given me much joy and it has sustained me and kept me up when I've felt down. It has given me more than I could give it.

To say I love the place is an understatement.

Go You Mighty Bays!!

I like this feeling and I think it's only fair and just that we should experience this feeling again in 2020!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:18 am

Great post mate.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:59 am

Spargo wrote:Anyways, how bout dem Bays :lol:

Mate, c'mon, that's so Sunday, can't we argue endlessly about something we can't control or change in every thread in here without being interrupted with this tripe?

Selfish, bloody selfish.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:16 am

Grenville wrote:The best way I can describe the way the Bays played this year is that's how I'd like my club to play. A hard, tough, skilled, unified group who all bought into a quality game plan and worked their arses off for the jumper. My mob lacked a lot of those qualities this year. Norwood had a comparable list if not better than the Bays but they didn't tick a lot of the boxes I mentioned and it cost them. I don't necessarily think some Power blokes didn't try, you always want to win a Grannie. What I think they lacked was a genuine passion for the jumper that the Bays had, that when you need to go, you just do it instinctively because you don't want to let the bloke next to you down. Michael Virgin is the perfect example yesterday. The genuine Magpies would not have performed like that yesterday, they had a heart and soul and would have done anything to turn the game around. The pretenders in the prison bar guernseys yesterday showed that they are not the genuine article.

I remember watching the 2008 GF and 2nd qtr there's a 50:50 ball in the centre square, two Bays players onto Paul Thomas. Thomo is literally third in line to the contest. However he wills himself to the contest beats two Bays players to the ball and causes a stoppage.

That's the desperation they're playing to win a GF I thought, we're in trouble.

Fast forward to the Prelim and Motlops effort in the third to beat three and then Closey's effort (all 50 kg of him ;) ) in the last qtr of the GF when the game is still in the balance (to an extent - cant let Port get two quick ones to get within 2 with 10 mins to go). Two Port players metres ahead of him to the ball, he runs backs and creates the stoppage. We win the clearance.

Make no mistake there was a lot of Centrals from the 00s in our win on Sunday and Port of the 80s-90s. That's what is so pleasing for a long suffering Bays fan, we're playing like a ruthless, tough disciplined premiership team. We're finally playing like your team from that era.

We did to Port on Sunday what they did to us in all those GFs, that what makes this so sweet!!
Last edited by am Bays on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:35 am

@Pseudo has been noticeably quiet in victory, was he there on Sunday?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:56 am

Booney wrote:@Pseudo has been noticeably quiet in victory, was he there on Sunday?

There may be inclusive evidence in Mondays Advertiser of his presence at the GF but the forensics are still being undertaken to validate it...
am Bays
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:06 am

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:@Pseudo has been noticeably quiet in victory, was he there on Sunday?

There may be inclusive evidence in Mondays Advertiser of his presence at the GF but the forensics are still being undertaken to validate it...

Well I'll be.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:32 am

I want to have a turn
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:27 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:I want to have a turn

And not one fan would begrudge you either.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Calls for an avatar change...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby MatteeG » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 pm

helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Still feeling it.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times

Postby Brett » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Good post Am Bays. Plenty of passion and love for the SANFL .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:27 pm

Brett wrote:Good post Am Bays. Plenty of passion and love for the SANFL .

X2
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL