Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby LMA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:08 am

The Bedge wrote:
LMA wrote:A little greek guy on my shoulder who loves ouzo asked me to quote this

Does he need ice cubes for his ouzo?

Preferrably, do they make reverse microwaves
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 am

Port Adelaide brought out the Jekyll on Saturday night, leaving the Hyde at home, just where he belongs……

This Port supporter (like most of us) gets a read pretty early on which side has shown up and the first two minutes of Saturday afternoon were pretty positive. Port had the first 13 disposals of the game (at 100% efficiency, no less) and the first major on the board on the back of some strong work inside by the very late inclusion Sam Powell-Pepper, Robbie Gray and Ollie Wines, 2 of those three under serious pressure and they all started well as Ryan Burton ran some over lap from the back half for the first goal of the night.

Things settled over the next 30 minutes and while Port had two more on the board through Ebert and Howard the momentum was in Adelaide’s favour. 9 scoring shots to 4 and Adelaide would be rueing some wasted opportunities. More worrying for Port Adelaide, Scott Lycett looked to have copped a medial / PCL type blow to his knee and was off undergoing some treatment.

It was Adelaide on top to start the second quarter, Matt Crouch is up to double figures and goals, Greenwood goals, Adelaide are winning the clearances 9-2 and I50 4-0 for the quarter, a steadier from Sam Gray came at just the right time for Port, one more and 3 goal lead would have Adelaide well on top. Greenwood is lighting up the Oval, he’s on top inside and out and has Adelaide’s midfield controlling the contest.

Another injury concern as Talia limps off, this leaves Keath on Dixon who makes the most of this to mark, ruffle some feathers and goal. It should be noted here Talia had Dixon’s measure most of the night but the rest of Port’s forwards were chipping in, especially with pressure on the ball carrier and that resulted in an Ebert goal just before the main break, reward for his effort and a 3 point lead to Port. 6 scoring shots to Adelaide and 4 to Port for the quarter, at this point I wasn’t super confident of what lay ahead. Lycett has returned but looks hobbled at best, cooling down at half time might not be ideal.

That lack of confidence didn’t change early as Walker shrugged Clurey off for one of the only times on the night to goal inside 15 seconds of the third, no sooner has the ball gone back to the middle and it’s back in Walker’s hands for a set shot from just on 50, he hits a low wobbler and misses to the right. From here on Adelaide don’t score again until the 17 minute mark of the last quarter with a poster to Wayne Milera. *smiles* I quite enjoyed the next 45 minutes or so.

In that time Port had absolutely smashed the Adelaide side into submission. The third quarter was a demolition, Port kick 6 goals in 20 minutes. In that time Scott Lycett gives all earthmoving machinery some hope as he wheels around O’Brien (and Brown who was spectating, perhaps in awe) to goal and cancel out Walker’s early major, Matt Crouch whipped out his card (no cash at AO, please) and purchased some candy from Sam Gray, Connor Rozee waved to the scoreboard pocket faithful (twice) as they ponder why Betts wasn’t on the field (What’s that,he was? Well I’ll be ) as Westhoff and Howard chime in and Port are 35 points for the good at ¾ time. Excellent, with a 21st to go to I know now that I can enjoy my night out thanks in no small part to Robbie Gray who has taken control in the midfield. He’s a pleasure to watch, I hope all footy fans appreciate him as much as they should.

Third quarter numbers were staggering – Port +56 possessions, +45 uncontested, +9 contested, +6 tackles, +4 clearances, +13 I50’s and 11 scoring shots to two.

The game was, at this point, put to bed, it would have been nice if Duursma, Amon and Wines had all kicked truly to start the last instead of registering minor scores but nonetheless Adelaide didn’t look like scoring. Clurey closed Walker right out of the contest bar 30 seconds to start the third quarter, Jonas had no issues keeping Jenkins out of the game, he was doing that ever so well himself, Burton made Betts look old and slow and Bonner, Byrne-Jones and Hartlett were all creating over lap and run as they set up being the ball. This is where Port won the contest by locking down our defensive zone and not allowing Adelaide any link up from their backs to mids to forwards. Domination from one end to the other.

Port had the first 10 I50’s of the last quarter and at the 9 minute mark had 96% of the possession in our forward half. I’ll be honest, I opened another beer about now. Icing, or, Butters on the cake as young Zac leads Laird a merry dance and 3 bounces his way into an open goal to finish the Crows off and the Oval empties out. 3 goals 6 in the last quarter to 2 behinds, the 57 point margin could have been so much more. I’m greedy, I would have liked more.

Cudos to co-captain Wines who came in under some pressure, 34 touches at 76% answered the critics, the Pig racked up 36, Powell-Pepper made the most of his late call up with 24 but really set the standard for attack on the ball early with a game high 6 tackles, Westhoff’s 23 touches, game high 16 marks and a goal an outstanding return to form, Bonner’s run and overlap from half back was crucial, Ebert’s pressure on the ball carrier and efforts in the air were top shelf yet there was really no other who deserved BOG than Robbie Gray with 35 disposals, 10 clearances and his 5th Showdown Medal.

Boon’s best – R.Gray, Clurey, Bonner, Westhoff, Ebert, DBJ, Rockliff, Wines
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:18 am

It all went to shit for the Crows the moment Walker started grandstanding to the crowd after he kicked that goal early in the third.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:23 am

Bum Crack wrote:It all went to shit for the Crows the moment Walker started grandstanding to the crowd after he kicked that goal early in the third.

Before that, when they went "Yeah, let's pick Jenkins" I reckon. No way he was ready to play.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:43 am

Bum Crack wrote:It all went to shit for the Crows the moment Walker started grandstanding to the crowd after he kicked that goal early in the third.

I've met smarter slabs of concrete, when will he learn? Just play the game big fella.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I've met smarter slabs of concrete, when will he learn? Just play the game big fella.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Whitney Houston get on the lip to him in the last quarter. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

turn it up, don't sanitize the game further than it is.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby JK » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Whitney Houston get on the lip to him in the last quarter. :lol:

What was telling about that was another two Port blokes came over to join in with Houston, but no Adelaide players came to their skippers aid.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:06 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

What was telling about that was another two Port blokes came over to join in with Houston, but no Adelaide players came to their skippers aid.

Yep, Clurey had given him a bath, Houston and Burton added some salt in and not one Crow flew the flag.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm

MW wrote:turn it up, don't sanitize the game further than it is.

Nothing to do with sanitizing it, I just think he's a far better player when he goes out and gets his hands dirty, his Potato Head stance in the GF reeked and sticks in a lot of minds.

I actually rate Tex, word on the street is that he's one of the strongest forwards in the game and he is superb when he's on song and focused, I'd much rather he not be co-captain too.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Nothing to do with sanitizing it, I just think he's a far better player when he goes out and gets his hands dirty, his Potato Head stance in the GF reeked and sticks in a lot of minds.

I actually rate Tex, word on the street is that he's one of the strongest forwards in the game and he is superb when he's on song and focused, I'd much rather he not be co-captain too.

He last kicked 5 goals in round 6, 2017, 4 goals 4 times in his 37 matches since. 2019 he's career low in goals (other than his first year) and on a 5 year low for average tackles. They'd drop him if they could, as captain, they can't.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I meant the bit about celebrating a goal. Was a great goal so early in the 2nd half, worthy of a pump to the crowd. Pity no one else followed suit
MW
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Have not seen the game and would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch the replay

Well done to Port
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Brodlach wrote:Have not seen the game and would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch the replay

Well done to Port

I'll be watching one quarter a night for the next few nights, if you like I'm happy to have you around and we can work our way through it. What time shall I expect you?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Have not seen the game and would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch the replay

Well done to Port

I'll be watching one quarter a night for the next few nights, if you like I'm happy to have you around and we can work our way through it. What time shall I expect you?

Is that because you fall asleep on the couch?
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:55 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well done to Port

Recliner, champ.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Did anyone go to the Showdown? Just wondering if the Dims Sims were yummy or just average?
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby MW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well done to Port

Recliner, champ.

Champed! You are happy with yourself aren't you :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well done to Port

Recliner, champ.

Crows get thrashed and Booney ‘Champs’ you MW. Been a great few days :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:18 pm

MW wrote:Champed! You are happy with yourself aren't you :lol:

;)

Only use them when I see fit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!